• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShops Closing in 2023, Phaseout Begins This May

Halloqueen

is manifesting hybrid roses
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
This was an expected eventuality after the 3DS family of consoles were discontinued back in 2020, but Nintendo today announced via tweet that the ability to make purchases via both the 3DS and Wii U eShops will end in late March 2023.

Before that, however:

- As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

- As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.

---

They're both fairly old at this point, so it's understandable, but as someone who still uses both of them it's unfortunate. Not only does the 3DS have a lot of great games, but both have great selections of Virtual Console games to choose from that will soon be unattainable. I vastly prefer the Virtual Console model of having a vast library you can purchase from instead of the underwhelming, catered experience they offer to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers on the Switch. There are a number of games on both consoles I'd had my eye on for a while but I'm definitely going to have to grab them asap.

This would also suggest that Pokémon Bank will be seeing its impending death next year.
Edit: The Japanese Pokémon Company account addressed Pokémon Bank's status in light of the eShop shutting down, linked in this post. Pokémon Bank will become free to use next year.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That’s sad. There are still great games for the 3DS. I had lots of fun with Soul Silver, for example. Pokémon Bank was great. It’s sad, but I can’t say I didn’t see this coming.

I'm not surprised at this news, tbh. It seemed inevitable this would happen once they announced they were removing the ability to add funds to the Wii U/3DS eShops with a credit card in mid-2021. Considering that I haven't used the eShop for Wii U or 3DS in years, and didn't plan on getting any games for either one, I'm more or less unaffected by it shutting down.

R.I.P i’m assuming that they’re going to shut down the 3DS/WII U online servers next

i haven’t touched my 3ds in ages, but this news honestly made me sad. it feels like only yesterday that i was mucking around with my 3ds profile and trying to make it look nice, taking it with me everywhere in hopes that i’d streetpass someone, walking around with it so that i’d earn coins, etc and now its eshop is shutting down? man. the day that its online servers stop working is really gonna break my heart lol.

this thankfully isn’t something that’ll impact me (except for maybe on an emotional level lmao), but it really sucks for those who use the eshop to buy games for their 3ds/wii u.

Last edited:
I hate how I can't transfer money from switch to 3DS because I have $25 dollars on my switch that I can spend at the e-shop and there is NOTHING I want on switch, I like the 3DS and Wii U libraries better...
Don't worry, if you connect your Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo Account then you can share the balance between the two and use that money on Wii U/3DS games (from the Nintendo page detailing the shutdown).

Sad but not unexpected. The thing that upsets me more than anything is that with the current speculator market (to put it in kinder words than is really warranted), I expect physical 3DS and Wii U titles to rise in prices once the eShop closes down, which isn't going to be good for collectors or anyone who will properly appreciate them.

Well shoot. Guess it's time to buy those titles I've been putting off for some time now (the Fantasy Life DLC for my second system immediately comes to mind). I also ordered a replacement Wii U because my old one is functionally dead, since buying the replacement console wasn't too much more expensive, and was much more convenient, than repairing my old one. Assuming remote Nintendo Network ID transfer still works anyway, that is. And if not, then I guess I'll repair the old at some point in the future and have two systems to mess around with.

Heard about it some days ago and it's just sad. Tbh 3DS were one of my fave consoles and, yeah sure it's old but it feels kinda hypocrite to close those services down and keep going on Switch, I mean it's the same servers you now pay for, like wtf. Why shouldn't you be able to still get games.

And yeah I agree, 3DS and DS or just older had the best games. Switch has been kinda disappointing compared to them.

Im very sad :( I still like my 3DS and Wii U WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the switch. I need to go buy some last minute themes and streetpass games!!! I have been trying to get some of the games that I have always wanted for my 3DS and Wii U but I can tell for sure everyone else is too. I have already replaced Rune Factory and Mario Bros 2 4 times?????????????? I hope I can get one that does not sell out before everything gets expensive 😭(Maybe I will finally get Pushmo World on the Eshop!)

i knew this was coming, but it still sucks nonetheless. fortunately, i almost never buy games digitally, and i don't see myself getting any additional 3DS or wii u games anyway, so it doesn't really affect me. sadly, this only foreshadows the inevitable shutting down of the serves for those consoles. there are ways to get around that, i think, but it'll be a tragedy nonetheless since the 3DS especially has such a good library of games, including super online ones like NL. i can already imagine people pulling a club penguin and flocking to tortimer's island on the last day to play mini-games and say goodbye together. rip.

That's a shame. I think I still have an unclaimed game code somewhere in my house... Whether or not it works, or someone has mined the code is another story, of course. I'm gonna miss carrying it around for StreetPass - that was always a fun time! I'd pay for a Switch equivalent. I have all the 3DS games I want to play, bar a couple of Japanese exclusives, which I bet I won't be playing now since they'll probably shoot up in value.

I do like that Pokemon Bank will be free - I've always felt it should have been from day one, in all honesty.

It makes sense but it sucks. I'll miss Wonder Trading. Rip. Time to go see what digital 3DS games I'd like.

That's a shame. I think I still have an unclaimed game code somewhere in my house... Whether or not it works, or someone has mined the code is another story, of course. I'm gonna miss carrying it around for StreetPass - that was always a fun time! I'd pay for a Switch equivalent. I have all the 3DS games I want to play, bar a couple of Japanese exclusives, which I bet I won't be playing now since they'll probably shoot up in value.

I do like that Pokemon Bank will be free - I've always felt it should have been from day one, in all honesty.
Streetpass will always be able to work as it does not need a dedicated server. I think tis just on the 3DS. I'm not sure though! You just cant download new mini games.

When I heard the news, I figured it would finally be a good time to fulfill what I've been wanting to do for awhile and buy many of the virtual console games I'm missing; renting them through a subscription on Switch just isn't the same, and my 3DS XL could make for a great legacy console for old portable games.

The biggest shock was when it was announced that Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation would have no way of being purchased whatsoever, since it was only available physically throughout the very limited special edition which costs far too much for the average consumer. Therefore I re-purchased Birthrights, and luckily Conquest and Revelations were already downloaded on the system years ago.

Last edited:
So, I know I have to download the Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter before the eShop closes, but does anyone know if updates for games need to be downloaded now or if they can be updated after the shop closes?

Back