NEW Nintendo 3DS (& XL)

2015 is in a few months!

Still quite a bit later than October 11th, though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

RIP my hype.

I guess that confirms one thing though: Nintendo wants the XL exclusive milk train to keep on running. Swappable covers would ruin that.

Yeah, but now I don't know what to do - sacrifice the changeable covers for a bigger screen, or vice versa.. Tough choice, for me.

(I should have realized sooner that only the standard New 3DS would get changeable covers, though - just looking at the pictures you posted, you can see a line on the outer part of the upper screen. And the covers in those images also have that line)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just noticed something, too, in the Isabelle cover image:

c5db9a154d.jpg

What's the little envelope icon on the bottom screen? Is there an email app? Or is it a hint at one?​

EDIT: Nvm - I just noticed the little tab on the top.. Guess it's just a stylized folder. :p

Last edited:
As HYPE as the idea of swappable covers is, it's pointless if I have to downgrade to the smaller size. Why couldn't they give the XL that level of customization?

There's no way I'm going through the hassle of selling my XL at a loss so I can buy a smaller 3DS that will in all likelihood make my hands cramp. Then again, the allure of that blue gingham cover is hard to resist...ugh.

Last edited:
As HYPE as the idea of swappable covers is, it's pointless if I have to downgrade to the smaller size. Why couldn't they give the XL that level of customization?

There's no way I'm going through the hassle of selling my XL at a loss so I can buy a smaller 3DS that will in all likelihood make my hands cramp. Then again, the allure of that blue gingham cover is hard to resist...ugh.

I know how you feel. :( I want the B&W polka dot cover, but at the same time, I don't want to give up the screen size..

Zjwo4.gif

Wow this only cement my point two years ago, the 3DS was an unfinished console. More power to bump it up to run larger Wii games, build in the circle pad pro, and screw up muscle memory for users.

• Better 3D who actually cares? The majority of users leave it off.
  • The "c" stick is small as crap, if they kept the start and select buttons near the Home button then would be enough room presumably for a similarly sized circle pad on the left hand side.
  • Why is the power button in an even worse location for a console that's supposed to be portable? It's going to get shut off in pockets, bags, and everything else. What's the point in StreetPass now?
  • Internet filter fun ($0.30 to remove)
  • ZR and ZL could be larger, there's plenty of space on the rear so why not? Instead we get tiny little buttons.

The most interesting point moving forward is what's going to happen development wise? Will developers take advantage of this new power forcing users to eventually upgrade or will they stick to the current one to continue making sales? Or will Nintendo ditch us as fast they ditched the Wii/DS?

As much as people complain about buying a Playstation Vita and a large memory card, at least they're not trying to force people to go out and upgrade it to the slim. B)

My wallet...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Zjwo4.gif

Wow this only cement my point two years ago, the 3DS was an unfinished console. More power to bump it up to run larger Wii games, build in the circle pad pro, and screw up muscle memory for users.

• Better 3D who actually cares? The majority of users leave it off.
  • The "c" stick is small as crap, if they kept the start and select buttons near the Home button then would be enough room presumably for a similarly sized circle pad on the left hand side.
  • Why is the power button in an even worse location for a console that's supposed to be portable? It's going to get shut off in pockets, bags, and everything else. What's the point in StreetPass now?

• Yeah, I've used 3D maybe 3 times for 2 minutes each and I have hundreds of hours of gameplay. The c stick is kinda weird and I don't see the huge point to it. I really hate the new power button location...

The fact they've said that there will be some specific 3DS games that will ONLY work on these models, The overall design looks complicated and doesn't really say "BUY ME NOW!!"

Sorry Nintendo but my Wallet isn't ready for this new 3DS.

I'm hoping we get a new color for the XL by the time it releases in NA. I think the blue is kinda ugly and I'm not a big fan of the black one, either. I hope we get a white one, I'd like that.

Not really interested; if anything, I would buy the 3DS and not the XL. I've already spent money upgrading from the current 3DS model to an XL, not looking to upgrade to yet another XL for the same generation console.

So I'm going to spend money to downgrade? No. I don't like the placement of any of the things, especially the stylus yuck no ew.

Not really interested; if anything, I would buy the 3DS and not the XL. I've already spent money upgrading from the current 3DS model to an XL, not looking to upgrade to yet another XL for the same generation console.

So I'm going to spend money to downgrade? No. I don't like the placement of any of the things, especially the stylus yuck no ew.

This.

I'm also worried about them remaking the Wii U just after I shelled out hundreds of dollars. I'll end up getting this new 3ds eventually, but it irks me that they are requiring it for some games. If Monster Hunter 4 needs to be played on the new 3DS, then I'm just going to be done with everything.

It's like the want people to gravitate towards the standard 3DS model. Those famicon buttons and swappable plates. I am so in. I don't mind having to downgrade from my XL screen size, since I still think the system overall is a bit too large for my preference-- though it would have been nice if the New 3DS LL also had the same amount of customization features.

I'm really hoping we get the white 3DS model in NA this time around. Nintendo has me deep.
Take my money ;_;

if bravely second is only released on this im going to buy it
i love the designs tho i want the cute pink ones

This.

I'm also worried about them remaking the Wii U just after I shelled out hundreds of dollars. I'll end up getting this new 3ds eventually, but it irks me that they are requiring it for some games. If Monster Hunter 4 needs to be played on the new 3DS, then I'm just going to be done with everything.
Nintendo can't afford to upgrade the Wii U when they can't get it to sell enough to begin with. It has no identity to casual users, they just see it as a tablet accessory still. I don't work at game stores, but people who browse it while I'm browsing ask me about it and I have to explain it's a brand new console not some addition.

Improved CPU will allow older games to play, but they'll also be developing new stuff for these models. I'm wondering how well this will work out; will we reach the inevitable point of making the switch? What we do know is that this certainly isn't the first time Nintendo has done this with their consoles. (Gameboy to Gameboy Color, DS to DSi) The DSi had a handful of exclusive titles. We can interpret the new models as being similar to the DSi, but the difference is the new models are getting full, new games such as Xenoblade.

With this presentation, Nintendo has made it clear that they aren't thinking to replace the 3DS with a new generation handheld any time soon. It's a smarter choice to expand on what they have now, especially given how sales are declining and the Wii U isn't doing so well either.

Last edited:
Nintendo can't afford to upgrade the Wii U when they can't get it to sell enough to begin with. It has no identity to casual users, they just see it as a tablet accessory still. I don't work at game stores, but people who browse it while I'm browsing ask me about it and I have to explain it's a brand new console not some addition.

Yeah, but they might completely overhaul it's design and function with the GamePad if it means upping sales.

I'll probably upgrade if EB Games/Gamestop has a deal where you can trade in your old 3DS for this one, as they've done with various things before. It looks a lot better and the one I have is really old.

Back