NEW Nintendo 3DS (& XL)

Managed to snag a Majora's Mask edition :)

Does anyone know if the new 3DS's can utilize the bigger micro SD cards (64GB and above)? On the Nintendo site it says they only "tested" up to 32 GB cards.

Lucky!!! Where'd you get it and how Much did it cost??

People are selling them on Amazon for 400-750 and it's insane. I want one so freaking badly. >.<

Managed to snag a Majora's Mask edition :)

Does anyone know if the new 3DS's can utilize the bigger micro SD cards (64GB and above)? On the Nintendo site it says they only "tested" up to 32 GB cards.

New 3DS works the same way as the previous 3DS models did before, albeit with only microSD cards. This means that you can even reformat your 64GB microSD card as FAT32 and it'll work.

New 3DS works the same way as the previous 3DS models did before, albeit with only microSD cards. This means that you can even reformat your 64GB microSD card as FAT32 and it'll work.

I know it uses micro SD cards :p
I'm asking if it will recognize a 64GB card. I have a 32GB SD card in my regular 3DS, and it's nearly full, so I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger Micro SD Card, but only if the new 3DS XL will recognize a 64GB card.

Does anyone have a card larger than 32GB in theirs that can confirm it works?

Nintendo has only confirmed that they have only tested micro SD cards up to 32GB, source: clicky

Last edited:

I know it uses micro SD cards :p
I'm asking if it will recognize a 64GB card. I have a 32GB SD card in my regular 3DS, and it's nearly full, so I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger Micro SD Card, but only if the new 3DS XL will recognize a 64GB card.

Does anyone have a card larger than 32GB in theirs that can confirm it works?

Nintendo has only confirmed that they have only tested micro SD cards up to 32GB, source: clicky

It will recognize a 64 GB microSD IF you reformat it to FAT32. Nintendo's site says 32GB because that's the size you can go up to without having to reformat.

As Jaebeommie has stated above, it is possible to use 64gb and even 128gb SD cards as long as it is in the correct format (FAT32) or else the 3DS won't be able to read the SD card. If you google, there should be a guide on how to do it. Its not an extremely difficult procedure, really its just formatting and dragging around files.

Lucky!!! Where'd you get it and how Much did it cost??

People are selling them on Amazon for 400-750 and it's insane. I want one so freaking badly. >.<

I was browsing eBay and found a listing from Toys R Us, selling it at it's normal price, so I pounced on it as fast as I could....there were only 2 in stock!

According to a GameFAQs post, it seems like that Nintendo of America is getting prepared to market the standard New 3DS, which is the model KTR-001. We have no idea when exactly the smaller model will be available, but it's on the way if the rumor turns out to be truly real.

I wouldn't get my hopes up unless Nintendo plans on relaunching their online store, I really don't see American retailers giving Nintendo more space than they already have.

I wouldn't get my hopes up unless Nintendo plans on relaunching their online store, I really don't see American retailers giving Nintendo more space than they already have.

Couldn't they just do like a Gamestop exclusive? All of the Gamestops near my house keep their 3DS systems in the back where they don't waste any shelf space. The only ones that they keep out are one of each model so the customer knows which 3DS models they have in stock. Unless of course they're not willing to give them more back space either. I really have no idea how big those rooms are.

It's not exactly a good solution, but it'd be better than nothing. My only concerns would be them only releasing a limited amount, meaning that a lot of people would be left without them. Or that it'd be harder to find a good deal as Gamestop would be holding a monopoly over these models.

Last edited:
Couldn't they just do like a Gamestop exclusive? All of the Gamestops near my house keep their 3DS systems in the back where they don't waste any shelf space. The only ones that they keep out are one of each model so the customer knows which 3DS models they have in stock. Unless of course they're not willing to give them more back space either. I really have no idea how big those rooms are.

It's not exactly a good solution, but it'd be better than nothing. My only concerns would be them only releasing a limited amount, meaning that a lot of people would be left without them. Or that it'd be harder to find a good deal as Gamestop would be holding a monopoly over these models.

Unless Gamestop gets rid of another system by moving it into the Legacy titles, not likely. Most of the Gamestop I've seen aren't terribly big, all becoming very cramped because of the plethora of games, gaming merch, and gaming accessories they sell. Skylanders typically takes up a small portion of the store, followed by Disney Infinity with a similar sized zone. Amiibo takes up a smaller location at the moment, probably near the Wii U games. Then you have the different games and accessories lined against the wall. Probably a cutout full of Pokemon related merch, along similar video game items. Then a gift card center or two. Used DS/3DS games. Game demo stations. The counter. Sometimes a structural column. Not sure about you, but it's feeling pretty cramped to me.

Personally working at a big name retailer, our video game section consists of three or four aisles that has to fit as many video game related stuff in there (minus stuffed toys/trading cards/etc). Essentially one side of the aisle is dominated by Disney Infinity/Skylanders and their little demo stations. On the other side, about 1/4th of he aisle is covered in Amiibo. The rest is Wii/Wii U titles/accessories. The other aisles I'm sure you can already figure out go in a similar order for the respective handhelds/consoles. Now if it was just the N3DS regular ITSELF, that would be no problem. Move some 2DS boxes around, space made. But people are probably going to want to purchase the fancy covers... Where would those go? Gotta get rid of valuable product space, but what product? Sure I guess you could try trimming an aisle and cramming in whatever, but then it makes it a little more difficult for people shopping for that specific product.

And honestly, after seeing how "well" Nintendo handles the Amiibo disasters, I'm not confident enough in them to keep stores stocked with covers people want. If they convince retailers to stock the 3DS, then congrats! But it would be easier done through their own storefront than spreading thin across all of NA.

Unless Gamestop gets rid of another system by moving it into the Legacy titles, not likely. Most of the Gamestop I've seen aren't terribly big, all becoming very cramped because of the plethora of games, gaming merch, and gaming accessories they sell. Skylanders typically takes up a small portion of the store, followed by Disney Infinity with a similar sized zone. Amiibo takes up a smaller location at the moment, probably near the Wii U games. Then you have the different games and accessories lined against the wall. Probably a cutout full of Pokemon related merch, along similar video game items. Then a gift card center or two. Used DS/3DS games. Game demo stations. The counter. Sometimes a structural column. Not sure about you, but it's feeling pretty cramped to me.

Personally working at a big name retailer, our video game section consists of three or four aisles that has to fit as many video game related stuff in there (minus stuffed toys/trading cards/etc). Essentially one side of the aisle is dominated by Disney Infinity/Skylanders and their little demo stations. On the other side, about 1/4th of he aisle is covered in Amiibo. The rest is Wii/Wii U titles/accessories. The other aisles I'm sure you can already figure out go in a similar order for the respective handhelds/consoles. Now if it was just the N3DS regular ITSELF, that would be no problem. Move some 2DS boxes around, space made. But people are probably going to want to purchase the fancy covers... Where would those go? Gotta get rid of valuable product space, but what product? Sure I guess you could try trimming an aisle and cramming in whatever, but then it makes it a little more difficult for people shopping for that specific product.

And honestly, after seeing how "well" Nintendo handles the Amiibo disasters, I'm not confident enough in them to keep stores stocked with covers people want. If they convince retailers to stock the 3DS, then congrats! But it would be easier done through their own storefront than spreading thin across all of NA.

No, yeah. I agree. Gamestop is definitely cramped. Even with the shelves all neat it always feels kinda messy due to how cramped it is. I totally forgot about the faceplates though. I mean, I hadn't forgotten about them, I just hadn't considered how much space they would take up.

But couldn't they just stock up on the N3DS by itself and not on the face plates? I mean, some people might just be interested in the regular N3DS because of its size. And if someone wants a faceplate they can just have them imported. Though that might defeat the whole purpose of having the regular N3DS. LOL.

I completely agree though. I don't think that we'll be getting the regular N3DS either. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I feel like we won't be getting them. Not unless it's sold as an online exclusive.

Last edited:
And honestly, after seeing how "well" Nintendo handles the Amiibo disasters, I'm not confident enough in them to keep stores stocked with covers people want.

Not Nintendo's fault at all. Amiibo are only hard to get in the US. Blame the West Coast Port Strikes. Google it.

Not Nintendo's fault at all. Amiibo are only hard to get in the US. Blame the West Coast Port Strikes. Google it.
No, they're not?

A lot of amiibo are hard to get in Europe as well, unless you use eBay or other online stores. And even then, if you're ordering from a place where people are re-selling theirs, you'll have at least a 200% markup.
And now Nintendo has said there are amiibo shortages in Japan as well.

So I'm pretty sure that it's more than just the US having problems with getting amiibo to buyers.

Back