• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

New Horizons feels like a discount New Leaf

It's fair to critique a game one has paid for, but I've seen SOME people completely dump on this game and articulate their opinions in very nasty ways. These haters say the game looks ugly, the music is so terrible, etc. That's disrespectful to the designers, developers, artists, etc. who put time into this game. We all know NH isn't perfect, what with the breakable tools and inconsistent QoL features, of course, but it isn't horrific either.

It's a big, thick line between criticism and hate. If we comparing games within AC franchise we must admit this is a game with best graphics, but if someone would like to compare with completely different game, may say bad things about visuals - but, visual is only one aspect of the game, and this particular one was given for potential players before anyone make decision to buy it or not.
Music - I haven't read anything with "real hate" regarding the music / sounds, but probably I never been interested about topics like this. Sure, some music will be not acceptable for some, other will be amazing, perfect, good etc.
However, visuals and audio - those elements are just a part of the game, and full justification cannot be given just based on those.

Let's also not forget that not all the features in NL were available from the start. Sure they were in the base game, but it's not like they all could be accessed. For example, you had to wait for T.I.Y to be built before you could even plant bushes, and to reach that stage in the game without TTing could take months. And it would take many more just to plant lots of bushes. There are people who complain that bushes should have been in the base game for NH, and yet we waited less time to get them, AND we could buy them in bulk immediately.

I mentioned once, I was lucky enough to lay my hands on finished and final NL. Buying NH I've done something I'm doing on regular basics, I bought game not to far from premiere and this may cause my expectations are similar to finished games.

This is not a discounted New Leaf. New Horizons isn't New Leaf 2 with improved graphics. If that happened, people would complain that it's a port or too similar to NL, just like WW to CF. Both NL and NH have their own unique problems, but they are wonderful in their own unique ways.

Personally, I wouldn't say "no" for New Leaf with improved graphics. I would accept it for reasonable price.
I would prefer call, in some circumstances "Discounted New Leaf" and in some aspects I can call NL "Discounted New Horizons".
Maybe I don't have as much experience as "old" players, but in last months I had time and explored a bit all AC games and have my opinion.

(...) What about Gullivarrr? (...)

I remember him from NL and it was at least a bit educational, because it was a mini-geographic-quiz, before in CF (if I remember correctly) he or his equivalent was flying in space saucer... what (IMHO) was fun.
Now... Mr G (with no offence) looks for me like a drunk, coming back to my island, after all-night-party.

I understand many of the concerns "Team NL" has about NH. To keep it short and simple: I enjoyed playing NL back then, but I'm personally of opinion the giant leap in creative control & design of your island outweighs all of the advantages NL had. The nook miles achievement system unexpectedly gives me a lot of motivation to play & complete all stamps (even though the reward system could've been improved) For completionist purposes, I find it a great new addition.

I do have great sentiments about NL and I genuinely think AC is becoming some sort of nostalgia brand after playing for more than 10 years now. 2020 was a very defining year of change - but NH is for sure THE game that pulled me through this year. In the future I will probably appreciate NH most in the entire AC line for that sole reason.

I remember him from NL and it was at least a bit educational, because it was a mini-geographic-quiz, before in CF (if I remember correctly) he or his equivalent was flying in space saucer... what (IMHO) was fun.
Now... Mr G (with no offence) looks for me like a drunk, coming back to my island, after all-night-party.
The quiz was replaced by the shovel, but that's Gulliver. Gullivarrr is a different character with his own miniquest; you must be confused :p

And Gulliver and his totally different doppelgänger are totally drunk seagulls who falls out of their boat/pirate ship because they can't control themselves. I love them and I am eagerly awaiting the introduction of another Gulli- on the future xD Reintroduce the astronaut Gulliver (Gullinaut? Gullistarrr?) as a different character who gives out the Astro set from previous games.

They without a doubt, sold us all an unfinished video game and I'm still triggered about it.
technically aren't all the games that come out now 'unfinished' though? i mean, with all the DLC and crap that they already preemptively know they'll be selling, and purposely withhold things from games for that reason.. 🥺

I strongly disagree that all games are sold unfinished or with Dlc on a regular basis. I play a variety of games and the only two I currently play in that category is the sims 4 and animal crossing new horizons.
Some games have expansions but generally that adds additional content, it’s not content that has previously been in the series in the base game. (Some exceptions like the sims 4 of course exist but that’s a different arguement altogether)

I still play all the animal crossing games soI’m not coming from nostalgia. But I do think new horizons is lacking in gameplay compared to new leaf. It’s missing a certain charm. And it feels empty in comparison to that.

technically aren't all the games that come out now 'unfinished' though? i mean, with all the DLC and crap that they already preemptively know they'll be selling, and purposely withhold things from games for that reason.. 🥺
You're totally right and it sucks. I get having a finished game and then adding to it later, rather than making us buy a whole new game. But I'm seeing more and more content being cut out just for the sake of selling it to us later. Super lame :c

Pokemon Sword and Shield being prime examples but we won't get into that lol.

Nh for me is 3x more fun than NL ever was. Its obvious the missing npcs will all come back as the game will be gettin updates for at least 2 more yrs. That aside, i spent 700 hrs on new leaf in about 2 yrs of gameplay while it took me exactly 6 months to get to 700+ in NH. Ive found Nh so much more exciting and fun and the the fact that were getting updates in this way makes the game even more fun to play. Also anyone that is bored of NH right now and is complaining about npcs like brewster coming back and all the others they keep complainin about is only gonna play the game for another week till theyd get bored again and leave it. Only thing I really want is gyroids and bulk crafting which for the gyroids im 100% are is coming in 2021

Also why tf all these ppl complainin even play the game? Like put the game down and pick it back up in 6 months and ull see how its gonna feel. Jus a waste of energy IMO. even i got small complaints but i dont even care to rant about them as nobody really cares

I think folks calling those of us who don't incessantly gush over this game, 'disrespectful', are once again gaslighting.

If we have an issue, we've posted it as respectfully as possible, but if I think something is ugly, I'm not going to pussyfoot around, I'll call it like I see it.

Just as I have when they've added something good to the game, I've given them kudos.

That's being honest.
Not disrespectful.

I'm also tired of being told I should appreciate the developers, when I do.
I just expect a bit more from them, because I know they could make NH the perfect game, by just adding back things we've enjoyed from previous titles, and frankly.. I'm baffled as to why they haven't.

The way I see it, is they (indirectly and not literally) work for us.
We pay them.
We buy expensive consoles, games and accessories.
We expect a game that is better than the previous title.

When we're given a game with the best qualities omitted, we have a right to be pissed.

I'm not going to hand out balloons for subpar work, in a game that is missing some fantastic items and features, and those items and endearing features ARE in/from New Leaf.

Add those in, and I'll thank you, for adding what should have already been there.

A year has gone by and no real usable furniture has been added.

Not all of us are fans of terraforming and crafting either.

Last edited:
I think folks calling those of us who don't incessantly gush over this game, 'disrespectful', are once again gaslighting.

If we have an issue, we've posted it as respectfully as possible, but if I think something is ugly, I'm not going to pussyfoot around, I'll call it like I see it.

Just as I have when they've added something good to the game, I've given them kudos.

That's being honest.
Not disrespectful.

I'm also tired of being told I should appreciate the developers, when I do.
I just expect a bit more from them, because I know they could make NH the perfect game, by just adding back things we've enjoyed from previous titles, and frankly.. I'm baffled as to why they haven't.

The way I see it, is they (indirectly and not literally) work for us.
We pay them.
We buy expensive consoles, games and accessories.
We expect a game that is better than the previous title.

When we're given a game with the best qualities omitted, we have a right to be pissed.

I'm not going to hand out balloons for subpar work, in a game that is missing some fantastic items and features, and those items and endearing features ARE in/from New Leaf.

Add those in, and I'll thank you, for adding what should have already been there.

A year has gone by and no real usable furniture has been added.

Not all of us are fans of terraforming and crafting either.

A lot of good points here.

What I'm seeing is just a few people not wanting to accept that other people have different opinions. It's great that NH is the favorite iteration of AC for some people. If someone thinks it's the best, that's fantastic. If it's their first AC game in particular, I'm actually a bit envious because there's nothing to miss and they also get to start finding their favorite villagers from a blank slate.

I miss that starting point. That's why for a long, long time I thought no future AC game would surpass the first on GC. I knew it mostly came down to nostalgia, especially when you compare it to a game like CF. But then NL arrived and my opinion finally changed.

Just my tiny two cents: The people that read the NH board on this forum are personally invested in the game. The title of the thread was incendiary and insulting. This thread was always going to get hot. I think perhaps this thread would have recieved a lot more validation and love had it been posted on the NL board instead. There is no wrong opinion here because there are no wrong opinions. I love chocolate. I hate chocolate. Both are completely valid opinions. But posting that you hate chocolate on a chocolate-lovers board is perhaps not the best idea.

Just my tiny two cents: The people that read the NH board on this forum are personally invested in the game. The title of the thread was incendiary and insulting. This thread was always going to get hot. I think perhaps this thread would have recieved a lot more validation and love had it been posted on the NL board instead. There is no wrong opinion here because there are no wrong opinions. I love chocolate. I hate chocolate. Both are completely valid opinions. But posting that you hate chocolate on a chocolate-lovers board is perhaps not the best idea.

the NH board isn't solely for NH lovers, all opinions on the game are welcome on the forum. so your example doesn't apply because it's not a "NH lovers board", its just a "NH board". anyone who plays or has played NH, whether they enjoy it or not, is allowed to voice their opinion(s) on the game here. and, for the record, i have seen threads critiquing NH with less "incendiary and insulting" titles that also received the same amount of backlash, if not worse, from NH lovers. there was literally a thread where the OP asked people why they didn't like NH, and then all the people who politely answered (myself included) got bashed and insulted so.

having only played new leaf and new horizons I feel one major difference between them. I stopped new leaf because it felt like a job, I had to get on or loose Too much. New horizons is much more relaxing for me personally, I don’t feel I have to get on with it.

I agree. I put in 800 hours in New Leaf in the 7 years I played it and now I’m up to the same in under a year with New Horizons. New Leaf felt too restrictive and repetitive over time.

that’s not to say I don’t miss some parts of New Leaf. I honestly liked how the island was, more than the Nook Islands. I wish they put some characters back in, but it’s honestly not a huge deal because if they aren’t put back in this game they could put them back in a future title. I also miss the rv amiibos too.

crafting honestly is pretty useful because it means I make a bunch of one object in a small amount of time. Before you could only get what you ordered or traded.

the NH board isn't solely for NH lovers, all opinions on the game are welcome on the forum. so your example doesn't apply because it's not a "NH lovers board", its just a "NH board". anyone who plays or has played NH, whether they enjoy it or not, is allowed to voice their opinion(s) on the game here. and, for the record, i have seen threads critiquing NH with less "incendiary and insulting" titles that also received the same amount of backlash, if not worse, from NH lovers. there was literally a thread where the OP asked people why they didn't like NH, and then all the people who politely answered (myself included) got bashed and insulted so.

Fair enough. I accept this. This is the NH board, covering all things - good and bad - about NH. I do have one small question: if you don't like the game, why are you playing it? I promise I'm not being inflammatory. I'm just curious why people who prefer NL don't drop NH completely and return to NL. I disliked Pocket Camp and dropped it. So there have been installments of the game that I disliked as well.

I think the problem, for this thread at least, was people thought it was unfair to say that the game was “discount” because they clearly tried to build upwards with things like crafting and terraforming.
But I agree with Daringred. This is related to New Horizons, so why shouldn’t they be allowed to post in the NH board? The whole point is talking about why they dislike certain things in it. Saying that they should post it to another board so it doesn’t upset people is just like saying “hey, this upsets me you don’t like this. Put it where I can’t see it, despite being directly related to NH”.

Fair enough. I accept this. This is the NH board, covering all things - good and bad - about NH. I do have one small question: if you don't like the game, why are you playing it? I promise I'm not being inflammatory. I'm just curious why people who prefer NL don't drop NH completely and return to NL. I disliked Pocket Camp and dropped it. So there have been installments of the game that I disliked as well.

believe it or not, you can critique something and still enjoy it, and also simultaneously like and dislike something. my dislike for NH isn't necessarily for what's in the game, it's largely for what it's missing and how empty it feels as a result of having simplified/removed countless features. i prefer the graphics in NH to NL (although i think it's worth noting that NL's graphics were not bad for the year they were released in), i like the addition of paths and fencing, i like that villagers can't leave without your permission or just put their houses down wherever they see fit, i like some of the new clothes, i like the new :3 mouth and button nose. i like a lot things, i just happen to dislike a lot more about the game.

also, i still play NL alongside NH so i don't have to go back. i never left it.

Post automatically merged:

I think the problem, for this thread at least, was people thought it was unfair to say that the game was “discount” because they clearly tried to build upwards with things like crafting and terraforming.

i don't think calling it a "discount" is wholly unfair, even if it's not the word i'd use. something being discounted usually means part of the cost was removed, but in this case i think the OP was using it to refer to how NH had such a vast amount of the content that was available in the previous games removed, hence "discount".

believe it or not, you can critique something and still enjoy it, and also simultaneously like and dislike something. my dislike for NH isn't necessarily for what's in the game, it's largely for what it's missing and how empty it feels as a result of having simplified/removed countless features. i prefer the graphics in NH to NL (although i think it's worth noting that NL's graphics were not bad for the year they were released in), i like the addition of paths and fencing, i like that villagers can't leave without your permission or just put their houses down wherever they see fit, i like some of the new clothes, i like the new :3 mouth and button nose. i like a lot things, i just happen to dislike a lot more about the game.

also, i still play NL alongside NH so i don't have to go back. i never left it.

Thank you for answering. I still see how this thread will get heated because people on this board are so invested in NH, me included. And I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me understand your point of view. Being very different from mine, it took more explaining for me to understand you. But I do now. Thank you.

Exactly. I'd say most of the criticism I've read about NH comes from people who care about it.

that's definitely the case for me. i didn't get this game and aim to be disappointed by it. i wanted to like it so badly, and i was so excited from the moment it was teased at E3. even when they revealed crafting (which i wasn't fond of, because it felt too minecraft-y to me), i kept my hopes up and tried to think that it wouldn't be that bad. i critique this game largely because i know it can be better and i want it to be.

I like the game alright, I think it'll hopefully improve by the time that they get more updates in however I just kinda feel frustrated with how like.... easy they make it? I don't think this will make much sense and I'm not sure how to word it. I haven't really even put as much time in it as some people have at this point but I feel like I've done everything already. I dunno if that's just from participating in online trade, or if it's just from them making it more friendly to "kids" maybe, but as someone who played the GC version years ago, I miss feeling challenged by it. I know it's not supposed to be a particularly challenging game, maybe that's dumb idk, but I feel like it wasn't hardly challenging at all. At least give the villagers a bit more personality. I wish they'd be more realistic. Or you'd have to work harder for their friendship, like on the GC? Idk. I just feel like after you decorate your island -- which honestly almost even feels cheapened by the whole terraforming thing (I don't care much for Minecraft after all) -- there's hardly anything to do other than fiddle your thumbs and wait for the next holiday.

Back