• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

New Horizons, Buying Physical or Digital?

Physical or Digital?

• Physical

Votes: 85 75.9%
  • Digital

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • Both

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters
I plan to buy a physical copy on release day. Most likely going to try and pre order it too.

I've always gone with a physical copy in the past, so I probably will in this case, too.

NL is the only game I don’t have a physical copy of as I bought the special 2DS XL with the game already installed, which was cool but I did miss having one for my collection. I’ll definitely be getting NH as a physical copy!

How are you planning to buy AC New Horizons?

As a fan of the franchise, I always plan how to get my copy. In 2013 I placed a pre-order for AC New Leaf before it comes out, when I found out that my local retailer has it 4 days early from the release date, I canceled my pre-order and bought 3 copies from my local video game retailer.
rsz_09cd657d68f4258fea7cefab29a6799a.jpg
I live in Dubai - United Arab Emirates, we don?t have strict rules regarding release dates, you can see that Nintendo provided our own copy that?s defined by NTSC.
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.20.46 PM.jpg
There is small circle that says (UAE, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia & Singapore Official Product.)
I know some fans are saving for the game from now, some already pre-ordered, some are planning to buy it digitally & some are waiting for local retailer to have it early (Like me. 😜) But by the way, I've noticed Amazon says "standard" copy when you pre-order it from them, so I'm just assuming there will be deluxe/special.

So how are you planning to buy New Horizons? Let me know the boring details.

I'm buying physical at Gamestop. Lately, I've just been buying games at Amazon because I dont like going out and talking to real people but I need this game day one as early as possible. I'm hoping for a midnight release.

I've gotten lucky a few times and been able to find it stocked early somewhere, as well, so I usually start checking about a week before. With pre-orders, I'm always scared they'll come late - what's the point if I could buy it earlier IRL? Buying it IRL, best case I'll get it a few days earlier, worst case I'll get it on release like everyone else.

Definitely preordering it. When New Leaf was released, I got the last copy Gamestop had only because I did preorder (the girl behind me was so sad, i felt bad)

All digital for me. Already saving up money on eshop for it lol

Last edited:
I'll probably buy a physical copy. Not sure whether I would pre-order, but I do hope to get it on release day. Usually I don't care about buying games as soon as they come out, but Animal Crossing is my favorite series of all time so it's a special case.

When it finally does come out I will officially have had it on preorder for over a year.

Buying when it comes out. I would preorder it but I just like to weigh my options and see who can get me a better deal or bonus.

Already have it pre-ordered. I prefer physical, so I can go in the morning and start my game during morning hours, rather than digital and having it start at midnight.

Aside from that, I just find it very exciting to wait all that time and then go out and finally get it in your hands. You don't really get that feeling from digital copies.

digital for me so that I can have it at midnight without having to drive to the store and wait in line

I'll get a physical copy. I love that feeling of anticipation going to the store to buy a new game that you've been waiting for ages for

I always buy physical games. I like displaying the cases, but they'll probably be a digital download code if they come out with a switch bundle with the game. I'm buying the bundle if it comes out, so I guess it's possible I'll be getting a digital copy this time around.

Back