• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Neopets?

Pretty sure they did it because the company now in charge are a Chinese mobile company. They are calling the shots. They don't wanna bother making it into an app so they're going to change the site.

What's neopets classic?
whoaa really? D: that's such a shame, i had no idea... neopets has had some really bad luck with management in the last ~5 years!!!!

neopets classic is a project to recreate the original neopets, it's playable rn but it's mostly just shops and item management https://neopetsclassic.com/ currently the only way to join is to apply to one of the short random signup windows or by supporting the project once on patreon (the minimum tier is just $1 surprisingly). the patreon is why i'm ESPECIALLY shocked it hasn't had any legal issues yet

i havent been on neopets since flash died, but i did make a new account in the past few years to play again. i really loved neopets growing up ;-; <3 my favorite neopet is definitely shoyru
shoyru.gif

WARNING: Neopets is now being flagged by my Malware Bytes!! I cannot access the site at all. I'm trying to figure out what is happening if this is a false flag or something. But for now, BE CAREFUL.

I haven’t been active in neopets for a while. I quit a long time ago. This post made me want to check it out again, and I just logged in for a while on my main. When I quit,
There was a lot of hacking done all around and it was a whole big mess. The site itself was super fun. I had a collection of royals all throughout my Accounts. My favorite neopet was the royal girl tuskaninny (I have one named Erian on my
Main). All the royals look amazing though. You’d think I’d have a collection of greys there, but my collection was royals.

Neopets was my obsession, then came the Sims, now it’s animal crossing.

Update: Whatever was causing the problem seems to have been resolved. Though, I would highly recommend using an ad blocker when being on Neopets. It's one of the reasons making it mobile without an actual app is such garbage.

Love howbroke the mobile layout is on phone yet they keep updating it 🙄

Oh well ironically premium makes it playable...

I never got into Neopets as a kid, I was a Webkinz child (still am tbh). but as I mentioned in another thread I really love the Kacheeks :)

well, when the team got bought by the Chinese Mobile Company they fired a lot of staff, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also wow they messed that expensive wheel "click here yo get your prize" yeah unless i actually won nothing i can't click 🤦‍♂️

And they got a "community manager" now after like..half a year? LoL.

Also wow they messed that expensive wheel "click here yo get your prize" yeah unless i actually won nothing i can't click 🤦‍♂️

And they got a "community manager" now after like..half a year? LoL.
They've had community managers before (Scrappy before being promoted to NT editor and later content head, HTT before she left. Those are the two most well-known ones). The problem is that the Neopets community is super toxic and JS doesn't pay well enough for people to want to willingly wade into the forums with a sign over their heads that says 'hold ME responsible for every dumb decision the staff makes =D' So they usually end up needing new ones every couple of months.

They've had community managers before (Scrappy before being promoted to NT editor and later content head, HTT before she left. Those are the two most well-known ones). The problem is that the Neopets community is super toxic and JS doesn't pay well enough for people to want to willingly wade into the forums with a sign over their heads that says 'hold ME responsible for every dumb decision the staff makes =D' So they usually end up needing new ones every couple of months.
Yeah, though if they realize the new site and stuff is that bad, nothing they can do to reverse it either it seems. Just make a dedicated app client and/or a page only for phones, alternatively let people swap. Honestly if they are that bad paid they should just remove it tbh.

And yeah, true, it's been very toxic since last year when i came back from hiatus, I agree, and loosening some rules didn't make it better lol.

Edit a happy note: I finally got my alien aisha, woot! 💚

Last edited:
Yeah, though if they realize the new site and stuff is that bad, nothing they can do to reverse it either it seems. Just make a dedicated app client and/or a page only for phones, alternatively let people swap. Honestly if they are that bad paid they should just remove it tbh.

And yeah, true, it's been very toxic since last year when i came back from hiatus, I agree, and loosening some rules didn't make it better lol.

Edit a happy note: I finally got my alien aisha, woot! 💚
I doubt they have the resources for a dedicated app. They keep shuttering the apps they do have because they struggle with supporting them. And those are just simple games, not a full website. I think the end goal is a site that is both desktop friendly and mobile friendly. As clunky as the transition has been, the site hadn't updated its look in a decade and a half before this. It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't half-butt it and only release like three pages per monthly update. Tons of core features are still literally hidden behind specifically navigating to the old site. When Neo switched from the sidebar to the top bar, people threw a fit, too. But because it was rolled out professionally and 100% completed, most of them eventually got over it.

The solution isn't to never have a community manager. The solution is to pay the staff an actual industry-competitive wage and allow the community manager to actually answer questions instead of dodging them in the most insultingly obvious ways possible that accomplishes nothing besides forcing that person to act as a magnet for hate.

Congrats on the Aisha!

I doubt they have the resources for a dedicated app. They keep shuttering the apps they do have because they struggle with supporting them. And those are just simple games, not a full website. I think the end goal is a site that is both desktop friendly and mobile friendly. As clunky as the transition has been, the site hadn't updated its look in a decade and a half before this. It wouldn't be that bad if they didn't half-butt it and only release like three pages per monthly update. Tons of core features are still literally hidden behind specifically navigating to the old site. When Neo switched from the sidebar to the top bar, people threw a fit, too. But because it was rolled out professionally and 100% completed, most of them eventually got over it.

The solution isn't to never have a community manager. The solution is to pay the staff an actual industry-competitive wage and allow the community manager to actually answer questions instead of dodging them in the most insultingly obvious ways possible that accomplishes nothing besides forcing that person to act as a magnet for hate.

Congrats on the Aisha!
True, the fact they're now owned by a mobile company but not giving the budget to make it properly mobile is so terrible. And beyond agree with your statement about pay and the community manager.

True, the fact they're now owned by a mobile company but not giving the budget to make it properly mobile is so terrible. And beyond agree with your statement about pay and the community manager.
I mean they aren't really owned by a mobile company. NetDragon acquired JumpStart as a whole, not just Neopets. And it was mainly because of JumpStart's business relationship with Dreamworks. There's no indication they are particularly interested in Neopets as long as people keep paying for Premium and NC Mall stuff. JumpStart still handles the operations of Neopets, including its programming and app development teams.

Congrats on the Aisha!
Yeah but if that's their true goal they should have left the site classic and only let this horrid layout be on phones. Heck, even TBT has two version of the site? And so has most sites unless they are maybe some small thing just starting up their business, or just old enough to not care.

I wouldn't say the top sidebar was a good roll out, nor is it completed. Could as well go back to classic classic site before 2007 it was even ore manageable, so was that kids version they also had way back, LOL.

I'd say both, they are only listening and catering to zoomers these days where a lot of people are well in their late 20s or even older (I've a neofriend in his 40s so). Not supporting hate but if they were so anxious about getting their new version out they could have handled it 110% better lol.

Thanks! :)

Back