• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My suggestions on improving Pokemon Type Effectiveness

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Although these suggestions are only fan suggestions and will not be official unless otherwise noticed, I came up with a list of suggestions on how to improve each type in Pokemon. For instance, Ice is a very poor type defensively. It is only resistant to Ice while having several double weaknesses. Dragon is only good against Dragon. Even corrections can mess everything up, so there needs to be more corrections until everything is balanced.

Here are my suggestions:

Offense:

• Normal - the move type is good the way it is, as it doesn’t need a new type it’s not very effective to, but Normal-type Pokemon should be able to learn physical and special moves outside their type.
  • Fire - while it’s sort-of balanced out in terms of type effectiveness, it’s biggest need is more physical moves. Something that is at least 80 base power, 100% accuracy, and no drawbacks. Especially for poor Flareon, the worst Eevolution for competition.
  • Water - it should now be super-effective to Steel, since water causes metal to rust. In fact, over-exposure to air and water causes rusting. Also, Scald should be super-effective to Ice.
  • Electric - since electricity empowers light, it should be super-effective to Ghost Pokemon. Being super-effective to only two different types isn’t any good.
  • Grass - the good news is that Grass is super-effective to three types that are commonly used. But as I believe that all types should have at least three weaknesses, it should be super-effective to Fairy Pokemon. I would also suggest improving Giga Drain to having a base power of 80.
  • Ice - it would do good with only one more weakness to it - Electric. Since snowstorms cause power outages, this would make sense. But if I were to dumb this type down a bit, it will have no effect to the Ice types.
  • Fighting - I feel that Fighting is good the way it is. Really good type.
  • Poison - it needs to be super-effective to Bug.
  • Ground - just like Fighting, it’s good the way it is.
  • Flying - since it’s associated with wind, it should be super-effective to Ground.
  • Psychic - it should be super-effective to Normal Pokemon.
  • Bug - the big problem is its poor base stats. So we’ll need more attacking Bug Pokemon. I would also like to remove Fairy’s resistance to Bug.
  • Rock - it should be super-effective to Poison. It would also need more special moves with 100% accuracy, including a move like Freeze-Dry, but super-effective to Ground.
  • Ghost - it should be super-effective to Fighting Pokemon.
  • Dragon - to make it king again, it should be super-effective to Fire, Water, Electric, and Grass Pokemon.
  • Dark - it should be super-effective to Normal Pokemon.
  • Steel - it should be super-effective to Dragon Pokemon. So Steel can finally be useful.
  • Fairy - it needs more moves that should cast stat changes or status conditions.

Defense:

• Normal - it’s good the way it is. But it should learn status moves that block all moves of a certain type (like how Magnet Rise grants temporary immunity to Ground).
  • Fire - it’s good the way it is.
  • Water - it’s good the way it is.
  • Electric - it should resist Ghost.
  • Grass - its Flying weakness needs to be dropped.
  • Ice - this needs the most improvement. It should be immune to Ice, and resistant to Ground, Water, and Dragon.
  • Fighting - no improvement is needed.
  • Poison - it should resist Dragon.
  • Ground - it should resist Fire.
  • Flying - it’s good the way it is.
  • Psychic - it should resist Fairy.
  • Bug - needs more powerful Bug Pokemon.
  • Rock - it’s good the way it is.
  • Ghost - it’s good the way it is.
  • Dragon - it’s good the way it is.
  • Dark - it should resist Normal.
  • Steel - do I need to talk about this?
  • Fairy - it’s good the way it is.

You may agree or disagree, but here’s why I made these suggestions. First of all, Ice is a very bad type defensively. Not only it only resists itself, but type combinations with Ice have a lot of double weaknesses. So it should resist two types that already are good for attacking, as well as Dragon. Next, Normal and Electric have only one weakness each. Giving them another weakness or two would bring the types in balance. Since Normal has no resistances, it doesn’t need any weaknesses that are common. As for Psychic, Ghost, and Dark, I want to get them outside the bubble they are all in. Only one type resists Ghost, making double resistances to it impossible. Dragon is super-effective to only one type, so I would make it super-effective to the types it resists, while being really ineffective to Ice/Steel types. I would also make Steel super-effective to Dragon since knights slay dragons. Finally, if I were to make these changes, it would hit Grass Pokemon hard. I make Water super-effective to Steel in exchange for its Ice ineffectiveness, take off Flying from Grass’s weaknesses, and make Flying super-effective to Ground. If you have any comments, feel free to drop one.

Offense:

Normal - Fully agree!
Fire - Fully agree!
Water - Agree
Electric - Disagree
Grass - Disagree, agree about giga drain though.
Ice - Agree
Fighting - Agree
Poison - Agree
Ground - Agree
Flying - Disagree
Psychic - Disagree
Bug - Agree especially with the fairy resistance problem.
Rock - Agree
Ghost - Agree
Dragon - Disagree
Dark - Disagree
Steel - Agree
Fairy - Agree

Defense:

Normal - Agree
Fire - Agree
Water - Agree
Electric - Agree, don't think it should be immune or super effective against ghosts.
Grass - Agree
Ice - Agree!!!!!!! It's my favourite type next to ghost and fairy.
Fighting - Agree
Poison - Disagree
Ground - Agree
Flying - Agree
Psychic - Disagree
Bug - AGREE
Rock - Agree
Ghost - Agree
Dragon - Agree
Dark - Disagree
Steel - No you don't, haha
Fairy - Agree

Yeah, we have the same issues with the ice types. They need to be improved, as one of the rarer types I would like it to be more useful and sought for during adventures and competitive play.

Last edited:
Eh, it's nice in theory but a lot of these don't make sense other than "they need to balance out the types!!". Ice doesn't need yet another weakness, and I don't understand the logic behind fairy being weak to grass?

Back