• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My data just corrupted

Isn't it caused by resetting your game though?

I've had my Japanese digital town corrupt a few times and never did any resetting in those towns, so no, it's not always from resetting.

oh my! I'm started getting scared too!
I bought my ds ten years ago and I haven't experienced nothing of similar with any of my games
and now with a barely two month old 3ds this can happen anytime! it's discomforting...

oh my! I'm started getting scared too!
I bought my ds ten years ago and I haven't experienced nothing of similar with any of my games
and now with a barely two month old 3ds this can happen anytime! it's discomforting...

DS games can corrupt too. :c It's not a problem exclusive to the 3DS, but it seems to be very common with ACNL...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( It really is a terrible incident, and I wish quitting without saving couldn't possibly corrupt your town. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens to me, I've lost my battery life numerous times, and Animal Crossing has died on me often enough.

May I ask if you have a regular 3DS or a 3DSxl? It seems that file corruptions tend to happen to digital copies. I was wondering if the system you're playing on matters at all.

That's a really sad thing to have happened :( but remember to keep things in perspective - you lost a save file, and that's frustrating. But no-ones died, it's not the end of the world. I'm not trying to sound patronising, but this is the way I look at things, and it usually makes me feel better :)

DS games can corrupt too. :c It's not a problem exclusive to the 3DS, but it seems to be very common with ACNL...

so ACNL it's a sort of the sims 3...
and my version is the digital one! yay!

sigh... T_T

This is getting annoying. 3 years to make and it's not perfect. I need to do the reset trick to survive. If my data corrupts, I'm done.

This makes me nervous. Cause i live on the reset trick and ive done it for ages without consequences and each time I'm scared I'm gonna start my game and poof, nothing. I wish I knew what triggers it.

Omg! I'm so sorry!

My spare copy of the game isn't really used for anything. Shoot me a PM with your dreamies and I'll try to get them back to you. I don't have a lot of money, or else I'd offer you some of mine. And I don't have any blue roses or anything, and I still have normal tools. Ah well.

If there's anything you need help with, just ask- I have a few furniture series that you can catalogue, if you'd like, and I can TT for any of the holiday items you lost or want.

Good luck. I don't usually reset, but when I do, I use the power button and then press home. It's considerably safer from my experience. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, or at least wait a few months before it happens again. These stories are so scary. ;-;

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, if you have some money, I suggest buying the SD card copy of the game. While it is more likely to corrupt, you can at least back up the game on your computer, so that's definitely a good thing.

[...]
Also, if you have some money, I suggest buying the SD card copy of the game. While it is more likely to corrupt, you can at least back up the game on your computer, so that's definitely a good thing.

Maybe so, but I've heard that it's difficult to back up just your AC save, as if a "last save" checksum doesn't match, it deletes the data. Maybe if you back up the entire SD, it might not be a problem, but I don't know.

Maybe so, but I've heard that it's difficult to back up just your AC save, as if a "last save" checksum doesn't match, it deletes the data. Maybe if you back up the entire SD, it might not be a problem, but I don't know.

Yeah. Each time you get off, you have to backup your data, or else it won't work. However, considering the game can't save or even load up your data when it corrupts, it makes it so that as long as you remember to update it frequently, you will have the last save on your computer; before you turned it off and it corrupted. You'd be stuck leaving the villager you were resetting for wherever, or whatever else you were doing would be stopped, but I think that once people see that they almost lost everything they'd be fine with that. XP

It happens on physical copies?? What are triggers? I'm worried for myself now...

It happens on every sort of copy. We're not sure what triggers it, but resetting might be one thing that messes us the data. I'm worried too. :'(

Oh boy. Saved data corruption seems to happen so often that Nintendo couldn't ignore these complaints, which is probably why there's an update option on the title screen. Because the game itself isn't quite as stable as we were expecting and the exact cause(s) is/are unknown, you're unable to tell when a data corruption will rear its ugly head. It can happen at almost anytime. One can have their town gone in one fell swoop, while the other one never faced this issue.

I'll be giving a couple of tips on how to diminishes potential data corruption.

- Don't meaninglessly load/save too often ; saving less often will probably decrease the likeliness of saved data corruption
- If you use a digital version of ACNL, have a reliable SD Card on you and make sure it's formatted to FAT32 (or FAT if you're using a 2GB SD Card or lower)

Don't you guys realize what is going on?
Over the years he has warned us time and time again.
Resetting cannot go without consequence.
He is finally getting his revenge.

....NOW SCRAM!

Oh boy. Saved data corruption seems to happen so often that Nintendo couldn't ignore these complaints, which is probably why there's an update option on the title screen.

Have we received periodic updates in the past? Historically, I don't we will here either. I'm not a fan of Nintendo's Network capabilities & how they honor digital purchases, but if a user Resets a game, & their Save is corrupted- it's not Nintendo's fault. The Reset button is for when software (gaming or OS) hangs or freezes. Who's going to contact Nintendo & state "I was constantly using the Reset button to do this & now my Save isn't loading."

I'll be giving a couple of tips on how to diminishes potential data corruption.

- Don't meaninglessly load/save too often ; saving less often will probably decrease the likeliness of saved data corruption
- If you use a digital version of ACNL, have a reliable SD Card on you and make sure it's formatted to FAT32 (or FAT if you're using a 2GB SD Card or lower)

I agree w/ your SD suggestion. But saving less is a ridiculous idea, particularly in a game like this. If anyone here wants the game, any title to run as it should, then PLAY it normally.

Yes, I'm too afraid to even do the villager cycling trick now. I'm just playing normally which is so annoying that I have to do that, because I hate when random villagers move right infront of my house etc.

As for everyone who offers to help, thank you very much! I might take up on that offer! :)

Back