• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

More "detailed" villager personalities?

Baumren

Bells
Ok, first of all, I apologize if this is an old/dumb/overdone discussion, as I'm new both to Bell Tree and the the game itself...

But still, I've been wondering.
So there's little to no chance that nintendo will actually ever be able to write individual dialogue for each and every villager due to obvious software limits, but still this doesn't mean we can't try to interpret our animal friends's personality in a variety of different ways.

Even small details such as design and how often we see them do some of their evenly programmed things can be fuel to try and think about them as more well-rounded characters than they appear to be.

The one guy that really got me thinking about this is Mott, who moved into my village today... I've seen that the apparent contraddiction between his reading glasses and his jock personality has raised a few eyebrows, but I wonder if many ppl tried to include both of these characteristics in defining who he is rather than lamenting the poor choice they made on his assigned personality.

My question is: have you ever tried to imagine a backstory or a more in-depth description of one or more of your villagers? If so, who, and how? I'd love to hear about it C:

Last edited:
Well, when I had Monique in my town, she had moved in after I started my file... But then said she was a child actor in my town. So now I'll always see her as the washed-up Marilyn Monroe that went into retirement in the town she was discovered in.

Not something of me personally, but I think the alternate character interpretation of Shari from chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of NL was actually really funny and well done. I'll try to find the video where it was discussed if I can.

Sounds fun! Here's what I imagine.

Cherry

Cherry, growing up, was a piano prodigy. Being a whiz at the piano at 6 years old, Cherry was in it for the big time. However, her parents, being extremely strict health nuts, disagreed with Cherry's "lazy" lifestyle. She was pretty much told strictly that if it tastes good, it's gonna kill you.

Cherry had to put up with all her parent's crap up until she became an adult, to which, she rebelled against her parents, by going goth and getting multiple piercings in her ears, and a lower back tattoo. She was promptly kicked out of her house, to which she either moves into someone's town, or becomes a potential camper. While she and her parents do reconcile, they are happy that she met such a nice and young mayor like yourself. They do want her to keep up with her exercising, to which they sent her a treadmill and exercise bike as housewarming gifts.

What do you think?

Cherry

Cherry, growing up, was a piano prodigy. Being a whiz at the piano at 6 years old, Cherry was in it for the big time. However, her parents, being extremely strict health nuts, disagreed with Cherry's "lazy" lifestyle. She was pretty much told strictly that if it tastes good, it's gonna kill you.

Cherry had to put up with all her parent's crap up until she became an adult, to which, she rebelled against her parents, by going goth and getting multiple piercings in her ears, and a lower back tattoo. She was promptly kicked out of her house, to which she either moves into someone's town, or becomes a potential camper. While she and her parents do reconcile, they are happy that she met such a nice and young mayor like yourself. They do want her to keep up with her exercising, to which they sent her a treadmill and exercise bike as housewarming gifts.

What do you think?

Wow, that sounds pretty interesting, I like the idea of her being the way she is because of teenage rebellion :D

I've been kinda thinking about Coco lately... my vision of her is a young, kind but extremely shy rabbit who became hesitant and timorous because of other people's reactions of fear to her unsettling appearance, but who's also worth befriending because she's actually really sweet and caring.

And Mott for me must've been some kind of prodigy student who always aced both theory tests and sports competitions. Smart, strong and handsome, he was considered the embodiment of perfection, and was both admired and envied by everyone he knew. He grew up a happy and carefree lion, as his only real flaw was his naive and child-like mindset he never grew out of and prevented him from seeing how fake his "friends" really were. Once he finally did realize that people only sticked with him to take advantage of his knowledge and popularity, he became depressed and bitter towards others, eventually isolating himself from the rest of the world until the other students learned to avoid him.

Some even began to hate him enough to try ambushing him in the yard, and though he was far too strong for them to accomplish anything, it really hurt him to see just how deeply everyone despised him. He almost couldn't handle the thought that he used to care about them, share meals and secrets with them, and trust them. He immersed himself in his books and heavy workouts to escape reality, as his distrust of peers and adults alike grew stronger every day.

He moved as soon as he graduated and began roaming aimlessly from town to town in search for a place to live. Truth to be told, he wasn't trying that hard, as he found himself enjoying the peace and solitude of the campsites much more than the busy and superficial city life he was used to. When people came to ask if he'd consider moving in, he always pretended to have a home and friends to return to as soon as his little holiday was over. He was never even tempted to accept any of their invitations. He'd learned to recognise that shiny spark of admiration in iother people's eyes, the greed that forged their wish to have such a hunk of an athlete to live near them. A big, golden prize to put on display. He swore he'd never again let himself become someone else's trophy.

Until, one day, he met you. He wouldn't be able to tell exactly what set you apart from all the others. Was it the simplicity of your smile, the genuine happyness that shone through you when you greeted him, or the gentle honesty with which you said that he wouldn't regret staying here?
He didn't know. All he knew was that he found it suddenly impossible to mutter the old lie, and that a hesitant "yes" was all he was able to say.

He did ask himself what in the world he'd been thinking, but he didn't break his promise to you.
Two days later, he realized he was finally going to be truly happy again.

........HOLY COW I swear I didn't want it to be this long DX
Well, overthinking barely-characterized videogame characters is funnnnnn...... :D

Last edited:
Deirdre is a tomboy; she isn't afraid to get rough with people, but also knows her limits. As a kid, she was on a lot of different school teams such as the baseball team, etc. Her mother is a deer who was a model for most of her life, at least until she retired when she got too old for the job. Deirdre enjoys helping others out, and will often go out of her way to help someone if it's for a good cause.

Deirdre's father worked in an office, helping them pay the bills along with the mother of the house who was mentioned in the first paragraph. He would often bring home Deirdre souvenirs from his trips, things like snow globes 'n stuff that you'd most likely find in those shops that tourists always flock to on vacation.

Deirdre had two sisters and 3 brothers, and they were always fighting. At eleven, the youngest brother passed away from cancer.

...And that's all I could come up with. I know, it's lame. ;;

I've been kinda thinking about Coco lately... my vision of her is a young, kind but extremely shy rabbit who became hesitant and timorous because of other people's reactions of fear to her unsettling appearance, but who's also worth befriending because she's actually really sweet and caring.

Or... Coco is secretly a gyroid agent sent to infiltrate and internally destroy the villages of AC players! But you don't see it. NONE OF THEM SEE IT! Lloid got to you, didn't he?!? How much are they paying you?!?!?!?

...And that's all I could come up with. I know, it's lame. ;;

No it's not! :) I enjoyed it.

Or... Coco is secretly a gyroid agent sent to infiltrate and internally destroy the villages of AC players! But you don't see it. NONE OF THEM SEE IT! Lloid got to you, didn't he?!? How much are they paying you?!?!?!?

LOL or maybe she decided to betray her comrades as she realised that the animal village treats her more like family than the gyroids...? XD

Katt

Katt, growing up, had dreams of being a cheerleader. She had the moves, and all the right stuff. She got on the team, but that's when things went south...

Katt was having troubles seeing correctly. Everything was a blur to her, so her parents took her to the eye doctor... Where she learned she had to wear glasses. (I'm going by her description on the Wiki.) Coming back to school with her glasses on hand, her fellow cheerleaders ostracized her, called her names, and even kicked her out of the squad... Katt was upset at the thought, until, after school, she wondered into the Music Club by accident. Picking up a guitar, she did some pretty advanced notes for a beginner, until the kids came back in. They were impressed by her skills, they invited her to join the Club.

Now, in her early 20's, Katt has dreams of opening up a music show... Her own house is pretty much her starting point. She wears the Pep Squad shirt as a reminder of what her past was... And eventually decides to leave the past behind, ditching the Pep Squad shirt, in the process.

Stitches and Maple

Stitches was once the beloved teddy of a young boy. The boy took Stitches every where he went, they never left each other's sides. One day, the boy lost Stitches whilst at the airport, where him and his family were waiting to return from holiday. There was no time to look for the teddy, and Stitches was left alone in an unfamiliar country.

He was thrown into the garbage along with all the other worthless lost items, and as time went by he became battered and bruised all over. His button eyes fell off, and his stitching became loose and frayed. Without his eyes, he stumbled around like a zombie, trying to find anyone to take him in. He kept walking for weeks and weeks, until he finally gave up and sank to his knees in the mud. He was found a few days later, covered in dead leaves and dry mud, by a small bear cub by the name of Maple. She took him home with her, even though it was a struggle since he was as big as she was, and cleaned the mud off.

She slowly began to repair the teddy bear, and stitched up the holes where his buttons used to be. She re-sewed every part of him, until he was perfect; apart from his eyes, of course. Stitches slowly regained consciousness, awaking from his coma over the next few weeks, and him and Maple became very close. Sadly, the time came for Maple to leave the town, and she couldn't take Stitches with her. She spoke to the other villagers and told them to look after him for her. She bought him lots of toys before she left, as she thought that they would keep him out of trouble, and inside the house, where he couldn't be harmed.

Maple moved away to another town, but she kept a stuffed bear with her in her new town to remind her of the little teddy she had saved. Stitches, after realising that Maple wasn't coming back for him, decided to go and look for her, and moved out of the town. He stayed in campsites all over the place, relying on his other senses to help him get around. He always asks about Maple whenever someone comes to his tent, and if they say they don't know who she is, he shakes his head and moves on.

Maple lives alone now, in a small house in a pretty rural town. She spends her time gardening and decorating her house, as well as speaking with her neighbours and the town mayor, who is very friendly. She always keeps the bear in remembrance of Stitches, and knows that if they ever met again, she couldn't bare to let him go.

My backstories are a bit short, but I do have them for my villagers. Fuchsia is, as many people picture her, an 80's punk inspired singer/guitarist that often plays at the club when K.K. isn't in town. She stays up all night practicing, which is why it's difficult for her to wake up early. Lopez lives right next door to her. He secretly stays up to listen to her, and often writes her poetry that he hopes she'll use in her songs some day. He has a huge crush on her that she may or may not be aware of.

Marcel is French, and he's in theater and often participates in plays. Carmen and Wendy are best friends and moved to town together, Carmen's the youngest villager and isn't sure what she'd like to do career-wise, it's always different every day, and Wendy tries to keep her in check. Roscoe is often left to his own devices- many people are frightened by his appearance and demeanor, but he's actually very sweet and doesn't have the opportunity to show it very often.

I also have Maple, Felicity, Pekoe, and Lucky, but they're sort of new-ish, so I haven't had time to formulate any kind of stories behind them yet. :)

This is kinda/sorta related to the "Champ is actually Porter" theory. I always thought that he wasn't totally happy with his job as a conductor (or rail travel was going out of style), so he took a break and pursued athletics. Although he loved working out and getting stronger, he began to miss his days at the train station, so he jumped at the chance to return to work in New Leaf.

She always keeps the bear in remembrance of Stitches, and knows that if they ever met again, she couldn't bare to let him go.

This is off-topic, but...

Hehe. She couldn't "bear" to let him go. See, it's funny... 'cuz they're little bears!

I definitely subscribe to the theory that Chrissy and Francine are two human sisters who became such a famous singing duo that they only way they could find any peace was to reinvent themselves as bunnies and go their seperate ways, only to be joyfully reunited in my town :3

- - - Post Merge - - -

Stitches and Maple

Stitches was once the beloved teddy of a young boy. The boy took Stitches every where he went, they never left each other's sides. One day, the boy lost Stitches whilst at the airport, where him and his family were waiting to return from holiday. There was no time to look for the teddy, and Stitches was left alone in an unfamiliar country.

He was thrown into the garbage along with all the other worthless lost items, and as time went by he became battered and bruised all over. His button eyes fell off, and his stitching became loose and frayed. Without his eyes, he stumbled around like a zombie, trying to find anyone to take him in. He kept walking for weeks and weeks, until he finally gave up and sank to his knees in the mud. He was found a few days later, covered in dead leaves and dry mud, by a small bear cub by the name of Maple. She took him home with her, even though it was a struggle since he was as big as she was, and cleaned the mud off.

She slowly began to repair the teddy bear, and stitched up the holes where his buttons used to be. She re-sewed every part of him, until he was perfect; apart from his eyes, of course. Stitches slowly regained consciousness, awaking from his coma over the next few weeks, and him and Maple became very close. Sadly, the time came for Maple to leave the town, and she couldn't take Stitches with her. She spoke to the other villagers and told them to look after him for her. She bought him lots of toys before she left, as she thought that they would keep him out of trouble, and inside the house, where he couldn't be harmed.

Maple moved away to another town, but she kept a stuffed bear with her in her new town to remind her of the little teddy she had saved. Stitches, after realising that Maple wasn't coming back for him, decided to go and look for her, and moved out of the town. He stayed in campsites all over the place, relying on his other senses to help him get around. He always asks about Maple whenever someone comes to his tent, and if they say they don't know who she is, he shakes his head and moves on.

Maple lives alone now, in a small house in a pretty rural town. She spends her time gardening and decorating her house, as well as speaking with her neighbours and the town mayor, who is very friendly. She always keeps the bear in remembrance of Stitches, and knows that if they ever met again, she couldn't bare to let him go.

Aww now I'll never not believe this! Those two are best friends in my town. She's such a mother to him, it's adorable

I imagine Marshal having been a covert operative in U.S. intelligence.

I imagine Merengue wanting to be a future Star Host of Food Network.

I'm trying to get Tia in my village, as I've got quite a .....ehm.."unique" headcannon about her personality...

First off, I like to see elephants as animals that much bigger than what they appear to be in the games, so that they'd be about twice as wide and tall as the average villager XD

And, well, she's basically a female buddha. 90% of the time she's at peace with everything and everyone. She's usually silent, spends most of her time sitting in her house or near the town tree with her eyes closed, sipping her tea or meditating. Though even with her eyes closed, she can hear almost everything that happens anywhere in town. If she perceives that two villagers are arguing, she'd just come to them, effortlessly pick up the angry one in a hug without saying a word, and take him/her to her home where she offers them tea and listenes to what they have to say until they relax...
Villagers also often tend to go to her by their own will, as she's always there to offer advice to anyone who asks for it, even though she never openly encourages anyone to seek her approval.

She never appears to be angry or sad, and always seems to be locked in a state of relaxed contentedness she'll never snap out of, no matter what you do or say. Whenever she really is sad or upset about something (which rarely happens), she'll try not to show it, but it's still impossible not to notice for those who know her. She'll become even more withdrawn than usual, she won't get out of the village (not even for shopping) and start negleting a bit her usually impeccable appearance (and her...well, "porcelain" skin.. get it...? 'cause she's a teapot... k I'll go sit in the corner...xD)
The other villagers feel alarmed as soon as they pick up on these little things and will try their hardest to get her to talk and cheer her up, much like how she does when others seem to have a problem. They'll never say it out loud, but they'd be lost without their dear Tia. Nobody ever really knows what exactly to say to her, but even just seeing her friends so desperately trying to help her usually is enough to make her smile again.

Even though sometimes her apparently untouchable perfection can be irritating and she can be overly intrusive at times, it's impossible not to love her <3

lol I know it's weird and that many ppl will disagree with me since she's a popular villager, but still, this is just how I like to think of her XD

Last edited:
I only really care about Bunnie and Dizzy's friendship in my town. Those two seem to actually be best friends. Since I started my game those two have always been together. I always see them sitting on the tire toy outside the cafe next to Dizzy's house or visiting each others homes. Once Dizzy had a conversation with Genji and became upset... a few minutes later he talked to Bunnie and was singing and dancing. I feel like Dizzy is a little self conscious being a plain gray elephant but Bunnie makes him feel better :) She also made him switch into a bunny shirt she was wearing which was pretty hilarious. I see them both being around the same age (maybe 14-16?) and their first time away from home so they help each other out. *U*

Bob Is A Youtube Star And The Brother Of Moe, Tom, And Kiki. Bob And Moe Are Very Good To Each Other And Tom Is Generally Nice To Them But Sometimes Pranks Them Making Them Sad, Then Tom Feels Bad And Gives Both Of Them 1,000 Bells. Kiki Is The Nicest One And She Helps Her Family When In Trouble. Kiki Is Also Seen Doing Charity Work For Poor People. Moe Is Pretty Silly And Talks About Food A Lot Just Like Bob (Because They Both Have A Lazy Personality). Rover Is The Father Of All Four Siblings And Takes Care Of Them When He Isn't Traveling By Train. Tom/Kiki Act Like Rover When He Is Traveling. Tangy Is The Girlfriend Of Bob, And They Are Usually Seen Playing Video Games, Doing Things In The Yard And Sharing Snacks Together.

Cherry

What do you think?

Considering how I love Cherry, I love this :)

Back