• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Long Distance Relationships

All my relationships have been long distance, but the one I'm in is the only one to have made it any farther than 3 months (this Friday will make it 6.) I live in Oregon and he's all the way in Norway. Surprisingly, 9 hour time difference isn't hard to work with at all haha. We met online and quickly fell head over heels with one another, with how in sync we are with eachother and what not. We've met up twice in the time we've been together, and I'll be visiting him for about a month (possibly more) in December for Christmas. There's also plans for me to go over and live with him sometime after February next year since I'm dropping out of college = v=). I'm surprised at the amount of positive reactions I've received when I tell people about it, since I expected a lot to judge about the decision to move such a far distance for having only been in a relationship for ~9 months minimum by the time I head over haha!

Still, I think I've developed a preference for long distance with my experience. It sucks not being able to bir e with them all the time or close to them even relatively, but I've noticed that it definitely acts as almost a filter for how strong a relationship actually is/will be, at least for me. It's a lot harder to get over hurdles and resolve certain things, but it also requires a strong bond. Give and take I suppose.

Sorry for rambling haha!

Last edited:
I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years now. We met on the last week of summer and started dating a week later so our first 2 years together was long distance because we went to different universities that was 6-7 hours away and the fact that both of us had to work on the weekends made it really hard to see each other even though we were only a few hours drive apart. There wasn't facetime yet and I didn't know of skype, so basically we only used AIM (instant messenger) and phone calls to contact one another. We did text but I didn't have unlimited texting so we couldn't talk that much. It was super hard especially for a relationship that just started but after he graduated, he moved back to the city and we were basically glued to each other.

Fast forward 2 years, I got a job opportunity in Korea and I was hesistant to take it because it was a one year contract and our relationship was doing really well. But he fully supported my decision and I spent a year in Korea. However, with the 13/14 hour time difference, we had a lot of trouble keeping in contact with each other. We also argued a lot due to missed "phone dates."

Anyways, long story short, we're still together and happy. :D

I dated like 2 ppl on the Internet and it didn't last long at all lol. I just lost interest. and I was like 13-15.

I don't know if I could do a long distance/online relationship with my age now. I guess I'm more mature but I think I need that physical love u know wat I mean??? lol I guess I would have to feel really strongly of someone to commit to one.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd be able to handle a long distance relationship because I'm the clingiest monster on the planet.
Like not in a bad way, I just enjoy being around my boyfriend and actually having him here. ; w ;

Respect for people that can make it work though, I sure as hell couldn't.

I wish I had a boy friend. Foreveralone

you're 13.. when I was 13 I was wishing for the new pokemon game, not a boyfriend

I don't know if I'd be able to cope with long distance. I'd want to see them at least once a week. Props to all you guys who are doing well with it though

Last edited:
It's cool to see so many people here in healthy LDRs! I feel like Internet Dating etc has gotten a bad rep since its still fairly new and people are always afraid of "catfishing" and stuff like that, but a majority of the people you meet are honest and nice.

I've pretty much always been in LDRs, except for those dumb week long relationships when you're like 8. I've had like.. maybe 4 boyfriends? Something really low. I have a lot of problems with people being physically with me and its better for me to get to know someone over the net because I can truly be myself without any fear.

My fiance and I have been dating for over 2 years now, and I proposed to him on our 2nd anniversary ^^ We met online through a Skyrim fanpage in early 2011 and became quick friends, but it took us a year or so to actually start dating despite us really liking eachother. He just recently went home from staying with me for 3 months (the longest you can legally stay in the US without being a citizen--he's from England) and he'll be back in less than two months for the holidays, so we make it work. Hes able to stay with me for almost 5 months out of the year, so it's really not that bad. I don't know what I'd do with no visits.

It is definitely hard to not have him here 24/7 but I'd rather be with him in an LDR than not at all. We're planning on marrying Spring of 2016, so that gives me something to look forward to when I miss him a lot--I can suffer through a year and a half of occasional visits if it means he'll be with me forever after that.

wow I didn't intend for this to be so long

- - - Post Merge - - -

I wish I had a boy friend. Foreveralone

Also, I've seen a lot of people quoting this/her and being kinda rude, or judgmental. Didn't everyone want to be "grown up" and "mature" at 13? Boyfriends, girlfriends and relationships in general are often pushed as the epitome of becoming a teenager and being on your way to adulthood, despite it actually being rather insignificant and many people still being immature but in relationships.
I know I certainly wanted a relationship at 13--I was desperate to be like my friends and grow up. I'm surprised so many people have forgotten what it's like to be 13, especially in our modern society.

I've been in one once, I regret it now, I wasted a long time giving myself false hope~

I've been in one for a year, but known the guy for just about forever now. I'm moving to Texas to go to college, and I'm going to end up living with him. I'm moving in about a week or so. We've been traveling back and forth between Texas and Iowa to see each other for this last year.

Aw, long distance relationships. I jump at anything that has to do with it because im in one and its not easy~

I've known my boyfriend since I was 6 and he was 7.
We've been best friends ever since, then in middle school was when all the 'i have a crush on you happened'
throughout high school we've been on and off
but junior year we made if official then i moved to Hawaii for college
and we've been together <3 i'm 21 now so its been yeaaarss
he's saving up for my ring now c;

there's hope people~ im lucky and blessed xo

- - - Post Merge - - -

All my relationships have been long distance, but the one I'm in is the only one to have made it any farther than 3 months (this Friday will make it 6.) I live in Oregon and he's all the way in Norway. Surprisingly, 9 hour time difference isn't hard to work with at all haha. We met online and quickly fell head over heels with one another, with how in sync we are with eachother and what not. We've met up twice in the time we've been together, and I'll be visiting him for about a month (possibly more) in December for Christmas. There's also plans for me to go over and live with him sometime after February next year since I'm dropping out of college = v=). I'm surprised at the amount of positive reactions I've received when I tell people about it, since I expected a lot to judge about the decision to move such a far distance for having only been in a relationship for ~9 months minimum by the time I head over haha!

Still, I think I've developed a preference for long distance with my experience. It sucks not being able to bir e with them all the time or close to them even relatively, but I've noticed that it definitely acts as almost a filter for how strong a relationship actually is/will be, at least for me. It's a lot harder to get over hurdles and resolve certain things, but it also requires a strong bond. Give and take I suppose.

Sorry for rambling haha!

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years now. We met on the last week of summer and started dating a week later so our first 2 years together was long distance because we went to different universities that was 6-7 hours away and the fact that both of us had to work on the weekends made it really hard to see each other even though we were only a few hours drive apart. There wasn't facetime yet and I didn't know of skype, so basically we only used AIM (instant messenger) and phone calls to contact one another. We did text but I didn't have unlimited texting so we couldn't talk that much. It was super hard especially for a relationship that just started but after he graduated, he moved back to the city and we were basically glued to each other.

Fast forward 2 years, I got a job opportunity in Korea and I was hesistant to take it because it was a one year contract and our relationship was doing really well. But he fully supported my decision and I spent a year in Korea. However, with the 13/14 hour time difference, we had a lot of trouble keeping in contact with each other. We also argued a lot due to missed "phone dates."

Anyways, long story short, we're still together and happy. :D

aww~ thats a long time! congrats to you two c:

It's cool to see so many people here in healthy LDRs! I feel like Internet Dating etc has gotten a bad rep since its still fairly new and people are always afraid of "catfishing" and stuff like that, but a majority of the people you meet are honest and nice.

I've pretty much always been in LDRs, except for those dumb week long relationships when you're like 8. I've had like.. maybe 4 boyfriends? Something really low. I have a lot of problems with people being physically with me and its better for me to get to know someone over the net because I can truly be myself without any fear.

My fiance and I have been dating for over 2 years now, and I proposed to him on our 2nd anniversary ^^ We met online through a Skyrim fanpage in early 2011 and became quick friends, but it took us a year or so to actually start dating despite us really liking eachother. He just recently went home from staying with me for 3 months (the longest you can legally stay in the US without being a citizen--he's from England) and he'll be back in less than two months for the holidays, so we make it work. Hes able to stay with me for almost 5 months out of the year, so it's really not that bad. I don't know what I'd do with no visits.

It is definitely hard to not have him here 24/7 but I'd rather be with him in an LDR than not at all. We're planning on marrying Spring of 2016, so that gives me something to look forward to when I miss him a lot--I can suffer through a year and a half of occasional visits if it means he'll be with me forever after that.

wow I didn't intend for this to be so long

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, I've seen a lot of people quoting this/her and being kinda rude, or judgmental. Didn't everyone want to be "grown up" and "mature" at 13? Boyfriends, girlfriends and relationships in general are often pushed as the epitome of becoming a teenager and being on your way to adulthood, despite it actually being rather insignificant and many people still being immature but in relationships.
I know I certainly wanted a relationship at 13--I was desperate to be like my friends and grow up. I'm surprised so many people have forgotten what it's like to be 13, especially in our modern society.

congrats to your engagement! makes me happy :D
lol yeah i remember being 13 not even going on dates but calling a guy "my boyfriend"

Sweden vs America <3

1441214_10202085804322390_1242182788_n.jpg

Will be able to see eachothers next month. Staying for a month as well, going to be amazing <3

have fun~~ i love the feeling of seeing em after months and months, its just so worth it <3

Wow congrats to all of you. My long distance relationship with this girl went to hell in just two weeks. It was a complete waste of time and skyping hours. Don't think I'm going to try it again.

I've never been in a romantic LDR before, but I've had several online friendships. I was really close to all of them at one point in time, but I don't talk to any of them anymore.

I think I'd be okay with an LDR. I definitely want physical closeness, but I think I'm definitely more in need of emotional intimacy right now. That said, I don't think I should get into any type of relationship for now, mainly because I've been having some weird feelings about myself and my life lately, and that probably doesn't mix well with romance.

Congrats to all of you that are having good relationships! I hope everything works out for you. :)

I've literally been through it all with a long distance relationship. They CAN work, but only if you're willing to make it happen.

I was writing up the story of my relationship, but it was getting a little too long and personal, so I decided against it. I met my now fiancee through dA. Neither of us had the intention of dating each other, but we ended up becoming best friends and later, we fell in love. There was a connection between us that we hadn't felt before for anyone. We were in a long distance relationship for more than three years.

We went through a lot of hardships during that time in our lives for so many reasons. Our families didn't approve, three year age difference, we were spending several hours talking everyday, for reasons that I don't want to explain: I was forced to drop out of HS, I had and still have an illness that effects my functionality, I was kicked out of my house & my grandmother's house without much warning, was couch hopping and practically homeless, sometimes not having any communication with her, we were both too broke to arrange any flights to get to each other (only part time jobs), she started having anxiety attacks & she ran away from home a couple times fearing that she would be verbally harassed by her family, and hundreds of other situations happened that I can't actually repeat on here. All I can say was, it was so damaging to the point that I needed some therapy.

TL;DR: It was stressful as hell and it's a miracle that our love was strong enough to keep us going through it.

We're still going through some trouble, especially with finding work since we live in a college town, but we've lived together in our own apartment for more than a year now and we've never been happier. We conquered the distance, we're engaged, and our families have been nothing but selfless and accepting of us now. We're not sure if we'll marry anytime soon, since we have a lot of dreams that we want to achieve first, but there's no doubt in my mind that we're soul mates. Not many people would have gone through hell and back like we have just for one person in a sea full of others. If I'm proud of anything, it's the strength we had to keep it all alive. :)

I've literally been through it all with a long distance relationship. They CAN work, but only if you're willing to make it happen.

I was writing up the story of my relationship, but it was getting a little too long and personal, so I decided against it. I met my now fiancee through dA. Neither of us had the intention of dating each other, but we ended up becoming best friends and later, we fell in love. There was a connection between us that we hadn't felt before for anyone. We were in a long distance relationship for more than three years.

We went through a lot of hardships during that time in our lives for so many reasons. Our families didn't approve, three year age difference, we were spending several hours talking everyday, for reasons that I don't want to explain: I was forced to drop out of HS, I had and still have an illness that effects my functionality, I was kicked out of my house & my grandmother's house without much warning, was couch hopping and practically homeless, sometimes not having any communication with her, we were both too broke to arrange any flights to get to each other (only part time jobs), she started having anxiety attacks & she ran away from home a couple times fearing that she would be verbally harassed by her family, and hundreds of other situations happened that I can't actually repeat on here. All I can say was, it was so damaging to the point that I needed some therapy.

TL;DR: It was stressful as hell and it's a miracle that our love was strong enough to keep us going through it.

We're still going through some trouble, especially with finding work since we live in a college town, but we've lived together in our own apartment for more than a year now and we've never been happier. We conquered the distance, we're engaged, and our families have been nothing but selfless and accepting of us now. We're not sure if we'll marry anytime soon, since we have a lot of dreams that we want to achieve first, but there's no doubt in my mind that we're soul mates. Not many people would have gone through hell and back like we have just for one person in a sea full of others. If I'm proud of anything, it's the strength we had to keep it all alive. :)

omg<3

write a book please?
lol jk. but in seriousness, i'm way happy for yall
i appreciate the time you took to share this, cuz it brings inspiration!

Back