• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

LGBTQ+ - Coming out and labels

mogai identities arent lgbt like.. im just saying. those microidentities need to disappear because its harmful for the commnutiy + has nothing to do w so. im tired of those asexual panromantic folks that claim to be lgbt like lmao. u arent lgbt. asexuals arent lgbt. and asexuals panromantic just make u.. guess what? straight. no one cares man, and im way too tired of people claiming to be demisexual or others... like you arent special for not wanting to have sex with everyone that appears in front of u sweetie!! thats just.. normal. theres also the new fad of being pansexual, which is actually pretty.. transphobic itself but lately, celebrities just flock to it to feel inclusive and get the support of the community. about coming out, honestly.. ive done to my closer family, and theyve.. been well, couldve been worse i guess. some homophobic comments are still made, but nothing violent or so, i guess just ignorance. im bisexual (but ive been questioning my attraction to men for years, so idk) and pride month is very important for me. i havent gone to the pride parades because ive only came out to my closest family and not to friends, but i wish i could go.. i think its important to feel included, especially when labelling yourself as lgbt is something that can cause you harm. its important to feel accepted, understood welcomed and most of all, have some kind of community support. pride gives me hope to a bright future that i can see myself in. and honestly, i love making the straights feel uncomfortable because i keep talking about being gay or anything that involves lgbt. theyre so used to being the norm that the moment theyre not the center of attention they immediately feel cheated on or smth similar. its so funny. gotta love those uwu im oppressed bc im cishet and gays want to set me on fire!! let me be straight in peace uwu!

Last edited:
I’m also dealing with anxiety at the moment. I have a history of people leaving after a certain time of talking to me, and it makes me wonder why the all of a sudden leave. I haven’t done anything that I’m aware of. Also, I have my best friend to talk to but we haven’t been talking as much as we used to. Although we still talk everyday. I think she’s just busy with school stuff because she just graduated. Unfortunately, this has me a little anxious because of my past history of people leaving. I also do not want to come off as clingy, but I have a tendency to want to keep people in my life that I think I become a little clingy, and then that annoys some people. I’m trying to improve on that.

I can very much emphasize with what you and metal scorpion said. I used to have very strong anxiety a few years ago where eventually I was so scared of people and their judging that I ended up avoiding them altogether, canceling every invitation and social event, rejecting all phone calls, not messaging anybody and finding ridiculously long ways home in order to avoid people from school. I struggle still to let people go, no matter how toxic they are... and at the same time I’m afraid of getting on peoples nerves so I seem very withdrawn especially in very social settings. I overcame a lot of this anxiety over the course of a few years time luckily. I had to challenge myself a lot but it’s worth it. It already helps me to know that I’m not alone, that there are people who experience the same feelings. I don’t mean this in a selfish way, I wish nobody would have to feel these feelings. But knowing that there are people who can relate already is helpful.

Last edited:
mogai identities arent lgbt like.. im just saying. those microidentities need to disappear because its harmful for the commnutiy + has nothing to do w so. im tired of those asexual panromantic folks that claim to be lgbt like lmao. u arent lgbt. asexuals arent lgbt. and asexuals panromantic just make u.. guess what? straight. no one cares man, and im way too tired of people claiming to be demisexual or others... like you arent special for not wanting to have sex with everyone that appears in front of u sweetie!! thats just.. normal. theres also the new fad of being pansexual, which is actually pretty.. transphobic itself but lately, celebrities just flock to it to feel inclusive and get the support of the community. about coming out, honestly.. ive done to my closer family, and theyve.. been well, couldve been worse i guess. some homophobic comments are still made, but nothing violent or so, i guess just ignorance. im bisexual (but ive been questioning my attraction to men for years, so idk) and pride month is very important for me. i havent gone to the pride parades because ive only came out to my closest family and not to friends, but i wish i could go.. i think its important to feel included, especially when labelling yourself as lgbt is something that can cause you harm. its important to feel accepted, understood welcomed and most of all, have some kind of community support. pride gives me hope to a bright future that i can see myself in. and honestly, i love making the straights feel uncomfortable because i keep talking about being gay or anything that involves lgbt. theyre so used to being the norm that the moment theyre not the center of attention they immediately feel cheated on or smth similar. its so funny. gotta love those uwu im oppressed bc im cishet and gays want to set me on fire!! let me be straight in peace uwu!

panromantic isnt straight bruh whats up

many pan people r Problematic when it comes 2 trans issues but so are all other lgb people who r like ?lol im a gay man but trans men arent men so //:? like... i think it?s an ok label as long as it?s not used to b like ?i like men women AND trans men and women :?)? bc thats not how it works, if you like trans people you dont need to use another word for it bc trans men are men and trans women are women lol. but it?s a word people like to use for themselves so they can go ahead, as long as they dont make it a ?i dont care about genitals or gender unlike those Other People ew? bc thats just gross.

i usually stay out of discourse regarding how legit certain ?ace spectrum? identities r because im like Well If It Doesnt Hurt Anyone Whatever and i dont have enough energy to argue w 15 year olds who will call me an aphobe even tho im aro ace lel. But i dont think aspec sexualities (or romantic orientations if youre using the split attraction model) are very good.
microlabels arent necessary and theyre pretty harmful to the lgbt community and to individual people. sexuality is confusing but you dont need a specific word for every feeling you have, and labeling something a sexuality when it might be mental illness, trauma, a fetish or preference, or an interest (space related sexualities or whatever) is harmful. not every sexual experience is valid and making up an ace spectrum id that means ?i get extremely anxious in sexual situations which makes it difficult for me to know what my sexuality is? is a very unhealthy way to deal w that anxiety and/or trauma.

like i just feel that ace means that you dont have a sexual orientation (/attraction/whatever like you cant be described as gay or straight pr bi or anything) and an ace spectrum isnt necessary because everyone who is sexual is so to different degrees, but since they are sexual they dont need to use ?ace?. like, if someone asks about ur relationship status u can say ?im not into that? but you dont need to tell them your entire sexual history and every detail in how much sex u wanna have.
it can b useful when talking about sex w a partner or something i guess ( like ?im not v sexual lol wbu?) but telling some random person what exactly u need in order to be turned on is just.. weird and too much information.

like i think ppl are kinda misunderstanding what sexual identity is supposed to b, it?s ?yo im attracted to these genders? (where ace means no genders) not ?i think fictional characters are hot and i am turned on by things in fantasies that i wouldnt do irl also i dont do one night stands?

Last edited:
So yeah, I'm a trans guy and I'm also questioning my orientation but I'm either bisexual or gay.

A brief explanation of my coming out scenario is that I came out to people I found myself comfortable around first, but didn't come out to a wider group of people until I felt fully, 100% comfortable with myself. (I didn't come out as bi or gay yet, I just came out as trans and hope people don't really expect me to be a certain orientation after I've already kicked out the closet door for that one thing, I'll probably eventually post something basically coming out as gay after I've felt more confident in which label is better for me) I think that, in this day and age, if you aren't LGBT yourself, if you can be open about being an ally, that's really important. Definitely, the people I felt the least scared about coming out to were the ones who had actually said they support LGBT rights. At the very least, don't be surprised or hurt if you're the last to know if you didn't say anything- someone can't assume that you aren't transphobic or homophobic if you refuse to talk about it.

As for how I feel about labels and their necessity, I think it's all about balance. I think labels can help you have a word to empower yourself with and help you find people to relate to because they use the same labels as you, but at the same time, I think it can start to mess with your head if you try to find a label that describes a super specific experience perfectly. (I think that's what micro-labels are?) I spent a lot of time getting confused because I'd adopt these super-specific identities, and rather than them fitting onto me like a glove, I tried to fit into them like a hand, you know? So instead of finding something that described me in a very specific way, I just decided to go with broader terms that described something about me so people would get that I'm LGBT, but leave the nuances to later in friendship. Like I consider my experiences with gender to be non-binary, but I ultimately want people to treat me like a dude, so I don't really feel the need to tell people anything about my gender that would make them hesitant to do that.

I think micro-labels are usually harmful, but at the same time, I think that it's ultimately about having labels that serve you. I think an issue is that most micro-labels aren't very publicly known, so in day-to-day life, having a very specific and unheard of label isn't going to help so much. That being said, if a micro-label does serve you in some way, I don't wanna stop anyone from using it. Just that I also think sometimes people try to find these micro-labels because they want a word that describes their entire experience with gender or sexuality perfectly, and I don't think that's productive, because then your identity becomes a word instead of an experience.

Also, since there's a little debate about pansexuality in these threads, my two cents is: Pansexuality is a perfectly fine label to use as long as you aren't using it for the wrong reasons, those two reasons being:
1. You think that dating trans people means you should get a special label. Trans people are their gender, so if you are attracted to women only, you don't need a special label to clarify cis and trans women for example.
2. You think bisexuality is "outdated" or transphobic. The bisexual label has a rich history, and is also often a lot more inclusive of trans and non-binary people than you would think.

Basically, as long as you aren't using it to look more progressive than bisexuality, I think it's cool if you wanna label yourself as pan.

Last edited:
panromantic isnt straight bruh whats up

many pan people r Problematic when it comes 2 trans issues but so are all other lgb people who r like ”lol im a gay man but trans men arent men so //:” like... i think it’s an ok label as long as it’s not used to b like ”i like men women AND trans men and women :’)” bc thats not how it works, if you like trans people you dont need to use another word for it bc trans men are men and trans women are women lol. but it’s a word people like to use for themselves so they can go ahead, as long as they dont make it a ”i dont care about genitals or gender unlike those Other People ew” bc thats just gross.

i usually stay out of discourse regarding how legit certain ”ace spectrum” identities r because im like Well If It Doesnt Hurt Anyone Whatever and i dont have enough energy to argue w 15 year olds who will call me an aphobe even tho im aro ace lel. But i dont think aspec sexualities (or romantic orientations if youre using the split attraction model) are very good.
microlabels arent necessary and theyre pretty harmful to the lgbt community and to individual people. sexuality is confusing but you dont need a specific word for every feeling you have, and labeling something a sexuality when it might be mental illness, trauma, a fetish or preference, or an interest (space related sexualities or whatever) is harmful. not every sexual experience is valid and making up an ace spectrum id that means ”i get extremely anxious in sexual situations which makes it difficult for me to know what my sexuality is” is a very unhealthy way to deal w that anxiety and/or trauma.

like i just feel that ace means that you dont have a sexual orientation (/attraction/whatever like you cant be described as gay or straight pr bi or anything) and an ace spectrum isnt necessary because everyone who is sexual is so to different degrees, but since they are sexual they dont need to use ”ace”. like, if someone asks about ur relationship status u can say ”im not into that” but you dont need to tell them your entire sexual history and every detail in how much sex u wanna have.
it can b useful when talking about sex w a partner or something i guess ( like ”im not v sexual lol wbu”) but telling some random person what exactly u need in order to be turned on is just.. weird and too much information.

like i think ppl are kinda misunderstanding what sexual identity is supposed to b, it’s ”yo im attracted to these genders” (where ace means no genders) not ”i think fictional characters are hot and i am turned on by things in fantasies that i wouldnt do irl also i dont do one night stands”

heyo! totally agree with what you said tbh. i think the problem with identifying as asexual is not really... the identity itself its just how it constantly tries to be included in the lgbt community when it is not supposed to. ace people arent lgbt for being ace. the lgbt community literally has nothing to do with such a thing. im ok with people being ace for whatever reasons they may have, be it because trauma or just a preference, but its ridiculous how many of those people go to pride and use their lil ace flags and its like lmao no one will kill you or hurt you because you dont want to have sex... you never had an oppressor or someone who restrained your freedom for that and therefore theres no real reason ace ppl should go to pride or be included in the lgbt circles.

about pansexuality, id like to say that i agree with you, but truth is when you take the transphobia aside from it, the definition to being pan is.. literally the same as bi. bisexual people arent only attracted to "two genders" as much like to assume and its actually inclusive to nonbinary, etc. the concept of pansexuality just falls by ground when you realize its only a term that promotes ignorance and biphobia. pansexuality is literally just a watered down version of what bisexuality is for people who arent informed (because, of course, the prejudice both the lgbt community and the cishets have against bi ppl and therefore ignore it completely)... so like i honestly dont think pansexuality is valid at all just by itself plus the fact that is literally known for their "hearts not parts!!!" motto just makes it even less likeable. also yes, i do agree that theres many lgbt individuals that are transphobic (cough terfs cough), but lbh. the definition of "pansexuality" itself is pretty transphobic, which is not what happens with the definition of gay/lesbian/bi. yes, being transphobic is an individual ""trait"" (if that makes any sense, im lacking a better word) but pansexuality and the definition of itself is used this way, even if only bc of ignorance. it appeals to thousands of people who label themselves as pan. when someone labels themselves gay, for ex, ppl think "oh, so they like the same gender" but when you say "pan" ppl will instantly be like oH THEY LiKe HEArTs NOt PaRTS bc thats exactly what the pan community wants to be seen as tbh (lbh, pins? the tshirts? flags saying that? rlly?) the community takes pride in saying those things and preaching over them. i think the term is rotten and Bad enough. and tbh it tries to erase what bisexuality really is by enforcing the lie that bi ppl r only attracted to 2 genders, as if! so yeah, tbh i dont think pansexuality should be excused.

oh also being panromantic tbh kind of is being straight bc ..... honestly what does that even mean? this is the type of identity that reminds me fo the dark times were ppl had friends and then had qweer platonic partners.. which was like... basically a friend u rlly liked i guess? eitherways, if someone tells me theyre panromantic heterosexual they are straight, and trust me, ive knows ppl who label themselves like that

but yeah, preach everything u said besides that tbh!

Last edited:
There is so much discrimination these days. I seriously cannot believe how close-minded some people can be. It doesn’t help that those bigots are constantly trying to tell us it is wrong. The world has bigger problems than girls who kiss girls and boys who kiss boys. It is ridiculous how pissed off people can be by the way someone lives their life.

It’s funny how the people who are so pissed off by a rainbow, are the same people who constantly throw around the word “snowflake.”

Holy crap what I've been on this site for a minute and I must have missed out on discussions like these cause this is awesome

Hi, I'm Beta, I'm 22, you've probably seen me around, I'm cisfemale but I have questionable quantities of Gay Mojo™ in me as well.

Just, on the subject of micro-identities, I have some heavy feelings and I'm not sure where else to discuss them. I'm the gay cousin in my family, and I'm not even a lesbian. I'm very familiar with the grey area as I currently live somewhere in it, and exploring all those demiromantic, polysexual, panwhatever labels has helped me through that exploration WAAAY more than anyone who left me feeling lost by telling me to "just say you're bi" and "you don't need a label as long as you're happy."

Now, I do have some reservations about labels. I've seen groups that aren't so friendly use buzzword labels to cause arguments and rifts in our lovely community. You can fight me on this one, but "agefluid," "pedosexual," and "beastiality kinky" people do not have a place in the community, as children/animals cannot consent so forget those guys, in the mean way of saying it.

It seems like such an obvious statement to make, but I find myself having to repeat it any time I mention my very wide acceptance of people's unique and syllable-amounting labels. "If you accept polydemipanaroblahblahblahs, why not them? They can't identify as that? They don't get a community to come to for struggles???"

I think I'm just rambling at this point. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out who I am and what I mean in this world, and people like that who try to make us pick sides and accept things we shouldn't to prove a point aren't helping anyone. Not to say a good ol' discussion isn't bad! I'm sure they all mean well when it's just labels generally.

(Also I want "It’s funny how the people who are so pissed off by a rainbow, are the same people who constantly throw around the word 'snowflake'" on my tombstone.)

Last edited:
I'm gay and I advocate for straight white male genocide. Just my opinion btw.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyways I think being gay and non-cis should just be normalized and kept casual. Like just let people realize you're human. Like LGBT people aren't special and shouldnt be treated or act as such.

I don't even come on here as often as I used to, but here's a long post that may or may not be entirely relevant, I guess.

Alright, unpopular opinions from the norm that the Tumblr LGBT crowd holds here, and I'm tired of the ace discourse, "truscum/tucute" discourse and labeling discourse, really, and there's like... so much to say on how pointless and dumb it is and how the policing really gets nobody anywhere and is anything less from progressive... But I'm mainly gonna talk about the ace discourse because it's a bad and dumb Tumblr thing that gets repeated mostly by minors and it's doing more harm than good. Like I've even seen people regressing back to the "haha virgin" crap and shaming people(including minors+csa survivors) for being repulsed by sex because of this discourse... like this is really sad, lol.

With ace identities the common theme I've noticed is people getting hung up on the fact that it is a spectrum or how that spectrum is defined as such along with the expression of attraction(action upon attraction and the lack of it) making it difficult for folks to find observable queerness in asexuality because of how expression of attraction applies in both hetero and queer relationships. Like yeah, I get that, because most of us have an apprehension in allowing space for cisheteronormativity to be co-opted into queer spaces and it shouldn't be. But it's real damn important for us to also understand that abuse of that space isn't an issue of asexuality, especially considering queer aces exist, but an issue on the individual. At the most fundamental and toxic core, heteronormativity burdens relationships with the expectation of absolute physical attraction and dutifully having children. Now taking that into consideration, asexuality's expression of attraction is inherently not normative and the LGBTQ+ community seeks to give a space to and recognize identities that don't align with the "norm". Asexuality is a community that's inherently adjacent to the struggles of the queer community in combating patriarchal gender roles whether people like to admit this or not. Furthermore, it's untrue to claim ace folk don't experience oppression when asexuality alone is considered broken and abnormal under the gaze of heteronormativity. Oppression within this discourse is treated so much like a competition it's just... ridiculous, but I'll get onto that later. Privilege within the community isn't limited to ace folk and spans across all identities in one way or another, making most arguments on the topic moot. Now, self awareness and intersectional reflection of one's place within socioeconomic groups is a reasonable expectation of anyone and failure to do so isn't representative of ace folks but rather the individual.

Also... on the oxymoronic and stupid "cishet ace" thing... If someone is aromantic or asexual, they do not benefit from full straight cisgender privilege, seeing as though they are not cis, heterosexual, and heteromantic to begin with. If someone is aspec they can, and do, face different kinds of oppression such as but not limited to: corrective rape, being seen as less than human, feeling "broken", being seen as mentally ill or something being medically wrong with them for feeling this way, having partners acting as though the aspec individual is somehow denying the other their "right" to sex, being abused in multiple ways and manipulated to feel as though you’re being childish or selfish, others ignoring physical boundaries to try "fixing" you, and more. And in a society that seems to show sexual/romantic depictions as well as trying to play on people’s attraction towards those deemed "sexually appealing", it can feel really awkward having to hear and see these things all the time. And yes, these things go for, you guessed it, the "cishet" aspec individuals as well seeing as though these are aspec experiences. While it's true that if someone is cis they do benefit from being cis, and while being in some form of relationship with a different gender than oneself might appear to benefit the person from the view of outsiders since they're then assumed to be straight, this does not negate the fact that many aspec individuals face different pressures and issues that cisgender heterosexual heteromantic individuals don't face based on their sexuality or romantic orientation. Now if someone feels as though they’re cishet while also being on the ace spectrum, then they can choose that for themselves if it feels right for them personally, but to force this upon everyone is just wrong since someone else cannot determine someone’s identity for them when it comes to incredibly personal labels such as these.

Folks are bent on this idea that in order for oppression in the LGBT+ community to be considered "vaild oppression" there has to be some sort of law being made about your identity or whatever which is... a very limited view on how oppression works. Systematic oppression includes microaggressions. It's why despite there being laws in the U.S. supposedly limiting discrimination of PoC in housing, jobs, and etc. we still face oppression in millions of ways. This is because bigots go outside of the legal system and use other systems, like how the justice system is riddled with corruption and police brutality. Oppression doesn't rely on laws that specifically say "this group should be disenfranchised". It's where the lines of discrimination and oppression are blurred, because lemme tell you that if a group is discriminated against on the basis of their sexuality in similar ways the rest of us in the community are, what are you gonna call that? All in all, people willing to discriminate is literally a large part of how oppression works.

Lastly, the whole excuse that this is a call to "keep out oppressors" or whatever is extremely dumb, because horizontal oppression is already a thing meaning that oppressors already exist considering cis and trans people and folks of different races but whatever. Not only that but this discourse prevents any creation of an asexual community like folks like to complain about wanting to have. The acecourse actively stops them from talking about issues affecting them. Literally the whole "aphobia isn’t real", shpheel affects all of this, and even those who go as far as hunting down kids posting selfies and making stimboards etc for their sexuality contribute to it as well. Many ace people, completely stopped talking about being ace, stopped sharing problems and experiences, and stopped reaching out to help questioning youth etc. Like... imagine being proud of ingraining fear and shame into an entire group of people. So how are they to develop and grow as a community (in the LGBTQ+ or separately), as people, and in their terminology and identities, when people continuously keep on invalidating their experiences, changing the meaning of their terminology, and attacking them (especially kids) for expressing themselves through art, jokes, labels, and just sharing experiences?

That's my tangent on this stuff for the day.

Last edited:
Back