• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

LGBTQ+ - Coming out and labels

Aquilla

the most wonderful time of the year 🌸
Bells
Switch
3591-5022-2346
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
White Lily
LGBTQ+ Coming out and labels

“You don’t have to rub your sexuality into everybody’s face”

“I’m confused! I’m not straight for sure, but what am I exactly?”

“It’s not important what I consider myself, but that I’m happy”

“Why do you need to come out and make a fuss about it and at the same time want being gay to be seen as normal? I don’t go around telling people I’m heterosexual”

I think the majority of people who consider themselves lgbtq+ have either dealt with or heard of scenarios like the ones above.

I opened this thread for people to share their experiences coming out or staying in the closet, as well as struggles and positive aspects of being lgbtq+ but also to discuss the necessity of labelling ourselves.

Especially as teenagers people yearn for a sense of belonging somewhere and to understand themselves better. That can turn out to be quite difficult when one is slowly realizing that "maybe I'm not what I always thought I was".
I started to familiarize with LGBTQ+ vocabulary and got to know a bunch of amazing people when I slowly got into the community but also was confronted with a whole amount of labels and orientations I felt expected to identify myself with.

When I first heard terms like Desinoromantic and Aegosexual I thought “Isn’t that a bit too much? I can’t even pronounce that”. Then again I was pretty sure of being bisexual and could very well identify with this term so everybody should be allowed to call themselves whatever they want right? However I often get the feeling that the LGBTQ+ community isn't being taken very seriously in all it's variety.

Long story short: I don’t know what to think anymore and therefore ask you guys: what’s your opinion? How did you experience being lgbtq+ or what’s your opinion as a straight person?

Everybody is welcome to join this conversation, please be nice to each other !

IT’S PRIDE MONTH SO LETS SPREAD LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING ❤️

Last edited:
mogai is trash and microlabels arent good, idc if people use them for themselves but spreading them and claiming theyre Valid lgbtq Identities is terrible. anyway im dissociatesexual and dreadsexual which means i took my sexual trauma and instead of going to therapy for it i made it into a sexuality to normalize it so i wont have to deal with it and also so i can trick trauma survivors into thinking suffering from ptsd and trauma related issues is normal and desireable. :’)

i think opposition against mogai from lgbt people and from cishets is very different from each other. lgbt people have legit reasons while cishets are often like ”lol PSECIAL SNOWLFAKE!!!! 0.001% of people have ever had thoughts about being lgbt so die” so i dont like when cishets talk about mogai bc they miss the point so often and just make it into a ”lol you arent special for being lgbtq” thing.

the ”rubbing it in my face” thing makes me so mad because it’s never about actual issues, it’s just homophobes and transphobes being uncomfortable w lgbtq people and trying to say it without being homo/transphobic.
a big mistake they make is thinking lgbtq people and cishet people are standing on equal ground. ”i dont go around telling people im straight!!!” well that’s because you dont need to. ”if you changed ’straight’ to ’gay’ in this sentence it would be homophobic” yeah turns out switching out words changes the meaning of things. homophobia isnt compareable to saying stuff about straight people but many people think it is, which really shows how little they know about lgbtq issues.

im trans and have been out to some people for like 3 years but im still not out to everyone because i dont want to deal with cis people and their ignorance. so many cis people are ignorant and bothering trans people by choice and i honestly hate them for being like that. it’s easy to not be an awful person but some people go out of their way to suck. lol. not respecting other people, saying terfible thing about others, othering people and calling them weird, and just generally being a terrible person is so awful but really common which is a bit uhh sad.

anyway as for drama within the lgbt community i wish discourse would die. people are just making things worse and arguing for the point of arguing and looking like the they have the moral highground. activism and arguments that arent focused on solving things or making things better are useless. youre not bringing visibility to any lgbt issue by making block lists on tumblr and bullying others but sadly that’s what a lot of people seem to think activism is.

mogai is trash and microlabels arent good, idc if people use them for themselves but spreading them and claiming theyre Valid lgbtq Identities is terrible. anyway im dissociatesexual and dreadsexual which means i took my sexual trauma and instead of going to therapy for it i made it into a sexuality to normalize it so i wont have to deal with it and also so i can trick trauma survivors into thinking suffering from ptsd and trauma related issues is normal and desireable. :’)

i think opposition against mogai from lgbt people and from cishets is very different from each other. lgbt people have legit reasons while cishets are often like ”lol PSECIAL SNOWLFAKE!!!! 0.001% of people have ever had thoughts about being lgbt so die” so i dont like when cishets talk about mogai bc they miss the point so often and just make it into a ”lol you arent special for being lgbtq” thing.

the ”rubbing it in my face” thing makes me so mad because it’s never about actual issues, it’s just homophobes and transphobes being uncomfortable w lgbtq people and trying to say it without being homo/transphobic.
a big mistake they make is thinking lgbtq people and cishet people are standing on equal ground. ”i dont go around telling people im straight!!!” well that’s because you dont need to. ”if you changed ’straight’ to ’gay’ in this sentence it would be homophobic” yeah turns out switching out words changes the meaning of things. homophobia isnt compareable to saying stuff about straight people but many people think it is, which really shows how little they know about lgbtq issues.

im trans and have been out to some people for like 3 years but im still not out to everyone because i dont want to deal with cis people and their ignorance. so many cis people are ignorant and bothering trans people by choice and i honestly hate them for being like that. it’s easy to not be an awful person but some people go out of their way to suck. lol. not respecting other people, saying terfible thing about others, othering people and calling them weird, and just generally being a terrible person is so awful but really common which is a bit uhh sad.

anyway as for drama within the lgbt community i wish discourse would die. people are just making things worse and arguing for the point of arguing and looking like the they have the moral highground. activism and arguments that arent focused on solving things or making things better are useless. youre not bringing visibility to any lgbt issue by making block lists on tumblr and bullying others but sadly that’s what a lot of people seem to think activism is.

Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to see what others have to say :)

I'm quite an insecure person who questions lots of things and I wish I had some of your confidence.

It's true that cishets like you call them often aren't really sensitive to these topics but I think it's still important to approach them and help them undertand better rather than splitting up into sub groups and hating each other. For a long time in my life I believed I was heterosexual when actually I had loads of crushes on girls but thought I just have insense friendship feelings. I wish there would have been lgbtq+ people in my life giving me impulses and helping me to understand these things. It's sad to see that obviously you didn't make a lot of good experiences with cishets, but I actually had overall positive experiences.

When my friend and me started to come out in school (and I was in an all girls school) I was very afraid of their reactions and rejection. But in fact everybody was very interested and nice, many girls actually started to question themselves and I think there's nothing wrong with experimenting.

Of course there are lots of stereotypes, for instance: I went out with a girl and we got on so well, but when she discovered I'm bi and not lesbian she said we shouldn't meet again because "bi people are more likely to cheat"........ w h a t

I wish everybody (hetero AND lgbtq+ people!!!) would be more tolerant and nice towards each other.
I went to an lgbtq+ youth group for a few times but turned out many of them had developed a strong dislike towards cis/hetrosexual people, to the point where they didn't want any hetero friends or even talk to them... Seriously? Neither lgbtq+ people nor cis/hetero/whatever you want to call them people are better than the others so I think a lot of work needs to be done on BOTH sides.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to see what others have to say :)

I'm quite an insecure person who questions lots of things and I wish I had some of your confidence.

It's true that cishets like you call them often aren't really sensitive to these topics but I think it's still important to approach them and help them undertand better rather than splitting up into sub groups and hating each other. For a long time in my life I believed I was heterosexual when actually I had loads of crushes on girls but thought I just have insense friendship feelings. I wish there would have been lgbtq+ people in my life giving me impulses and helping me to understand these things. It's sad to see that obviously you didn't make a lot of good experiences with cishets, but I actually had overall positive experiences.

When my friend and me started to come out in school (and I was in an all girls school) I was very afraid of their reactions and rejection. But in fact everybody was very interested and nice, many girls actually started to question themselves and I think there's nothing wrong with experimenting.

Of course there are lots of stereotypes, for instance: I went out with a girl and we got on so well, but when she discovered I'm bi and not lesbian she said we shouldn't meet again because "bi people are more likely to cheat"........ w h a t

I wish everybody (hetero AND lgbtq+ people!!!) would be more tolerant and nice towards each other.
I went to an lgbtq+ youth group for a few times but turned out many of them had developed a strong dislike towards cis/hetrosexual people, to the point where they didn't want any hetero friends or even talk to them... Seriously? Neither lgbtq+ people nor cis/hetero/whatever you want to call them people are better than the others so I think a lot of work needs to be done on BOTH sides.

yeah lol the reason im "confident" is because im Done w everything and im way more blunt and whatever when im annoyed which i am when it comes to anything that touches lgbt issues.

i don't hate cishets (believe it or not), not as individuals or as a group. i hate how they are allowed to act and how society works and WhatEver Else Is happening but it's not like i go around hating every cis person who does, says or thinks something transphobic
because while ignorance, judgement and treating people badly are all choices, it is pushed upon us from a young age to conform to the gender binary and to punish those who dont. not everyone who does bad things has malicious intent and educating them before calling them hateful bigots is usually more helpful even if it's Super Annoying.
we are taught how to act and feel based on our assigned gender from day zero and we learn that there are ways to identify that are wrong. even if you don't have any diehard homophobes close to you you will know that you're supposed to like people of The Other Gender because of society and blah blah blah and i think many people are uncomfortable when things like this are brought up because they don't want to be part of the problem. it'd be better if more people could recognize the problems that exist without taking it as a personal attack.
(inb4 "omg every lgbt person (aka sjw!!!!!!) i meet says that im literally satan because im transphobic and homophobic" 1. die 2. even if youre actually being bullied or treated unfairly it's not something to take out on the lgbt community. even though the down with cis bus is $100% real this isnt a widespread problem to bring up as a defense for being an ******* 3. people aren't obligated to be nice to you when you're being rude to them and even though the (almost) ideal scenario would be that the lgbt person educated the person who was sucky and patiently answered all their questions with love and understanding that's not realistic. you can't expect lgbt people to be perfect angels while letting cishets be terrible. 4. even if every single lgbt person seriously said "wow youre boring because youre cis and straight" it still wouldnt be an excuse to support the so much worse discrimination lgbt people face.)

hopefully as lgbt people get more accepted everyone will be more educated on lgbt issues and be able to question their gender and sexuality and there will be less discrimination and hatred and stuff lol

it's sad that the people you met in that group didn't like straight people and i think segregation (/whatever to call it) between lgbt people and cis straight people is a problem and results in even more othering, because while it's not lgbt people's fault that cishets suck* we can make them suck less by educating them and demanding change and whatever.

i hate the "if youre not nice to me i wont give you basic rights and respect" mindset people have but i get that it affects us and how we have to behave as a community to be viewed in a better light. i don't like being nice to people who are like that but it's important that we're viewed as Good People in the media. like, if a gay person would shoot up a straight bar because they hated straight people that would be really bad for the lgbt community.
i don't think it's right to demand good manners or whatever from the oppressed when the oppressor wan't the oppressed to not have basic human rights. you can't treat both sides as equally valid when one side has an actual moral high ground (like "please don't murder people") and the other side sucks (like "i want genocide"). you can't solve disagreements like that the same way you solve fights between five year old children. both sides are not equally entitled to being given respect and attention, you cannot compromise and you can't act like they're both equally morally correct because they are not. there has to be social consequences for being an awful person. free speech doesn't mean your friends aren't allowed to leave you if you tell them you're a nazi and i think that's important to remember in any discussion about oppression and rights.

ANYWAY this is a wall of messy thoughts but dfghgffj. @cishets trying to learn how to be a good ally: there are people who demonize everyone for genuine mistakes even after they have apologized and changed. this is a small but vocal (in their tumblr callouts) group that everyone's better off ignoring. you don't need every single person's approval, just try to be a good person and hopefully you'll be fine. please learn more about lgbt issues and ask questions in appropriate situations despite some people trying to make you feel like you suck for doing it or whatever lol.

*[insert long explanation that comes down to "not all cis straight people, just enough for it to be a big problem exclusive to that group."]

Last edited:
“Why do you need to come out and make a fuss about it and at the same time want being gay to be seen as normal? I don’t go around telling people I’m heterosexual”

that quote right there is the most ignorant and idiotic thing i've read in a long time and i can't believe there are people out there that still can't comprehend why lgbtq+ people come out.

Like we live in a world where lgbtq people are oppressed and there's still a huge prejudice against the lgbtq community PLUS i can only imagine that a lot of people who are confused about their sexuality or what they identify as are just that... CONFUSED and though I've never gone through sexual confusion i have went through other confusing situations and it kept me up at night and drove me batty.

So when I see a member of the lgbtq community come out i see it as such a huge stepping stone for them to come out and say "hey i'm -insert w/e here-" especially if it's something they have struggled with. I can't say what it feels like but I'm sure it's gratifying and such an amazing feeling to finally be able to be comfortable with oneself when us straight people grew up comfy and catered to.

Like I think a lot of straight people who show a lot of homophobic and transphobic traits are so out of touch with the rest of the world and lgbtq+ folks are becoming more accepted and that's great but it still not what straight people like to say is "normal"

There's still people out there who hate lgbtq+ Mike Pence the vice president said he supports "treating people" of their gayness I grew up in a small town and saw one of my closest friends get ridiculed for being a "***". Right now I live in a big city but work in a small town outside of that city and a 20 minute drive to that small town is like a worlds difference the people there are openly homophobic, transphobic, and racist so those people still exist

and until that is drastically changed i'm still going to go above and beyond to be an ally to the community.

I went off on a tangent lmao but as an ally i just do my best to be supportive and help and if i'm not educated on something i seek guidance and education. I feel like as a straight white female I have a lot privilege so I try and use that privilege to help others who are looked over.

I am a lesbian. I have faced discrimination. My grandma doesn’t approve of my sexuality, but luckily I have moved from home. I never understood why so many people have to be close minded.

I especially hate it when people ask why they don’t get a heterosexual pride month. It’s bsvsuse straight people don’t face discrimination. There doesn’t have to be a heterosexual pride because that is considered the normal. The LGBTQ community faces discrimination everyday.

This reminds me of a comment this man made about McDonalds supporting Pride Month. This man goes to social media to tell everyone to not eat at McDonalds because they are encouraging the young to be gay, and that he is tired of corporations influencing families in that way. So McDonalds comments their support for the LGBT community and calls the man salty xD Just a funny yet ignorant comment.

Another comment on the ignorance: People think that sexuality is a choice or gender is a choice, when that's not true. Why would people of the LGBT+ community choose to be something that causes them to be picked on daily? Why would they choose to be hated, ridiculed, outcasted, etc? Or if you're like me, a trans... Why would I choose to suffer from my dysphoria daily? I can't ignore my dysphoria just like everyone else can't ignore their sexuality or fake it.

I haven't come out to family, but I'm happy to have friends and a lover who support me for who I am ^.^ Being scared to come out puts me down, and I know that I just want acceptance from my parents who gave birth to me. They need to know the truth. But if I come out, and they don't accept me, I know I have friends who do, and maybe eventually my parents will learn to accept me for who I am. Because I just want to live my life without having to struggle with myself daily and to be able to transition ^.^

Last edited:

that quote right there is the most ignorant and idiotic thing i've read in a long time and i can't believe there are people out there that still can't comprehend why lgbtq+ people come out.

Like we live in a world where lgbtq people are oppressed and there's still a huge prejudice against the lgbtq community PLUS i can only imagine that a lot of people who are confused about their sexuality or what they identify as are just that... CONFUSED and though I've never gone through sexual confusion i have went through other confusing situations and it kept me up at night and drove me batty.

So when I see a member of the lgbtq community come out i see it as such a huge stepping stone for them to come out and say "hey i'm -insert w/e here-" especially if it's something they have struggled with. I can't say what it feels like but I'm sure it's gratifying and such an amazing feeling to finally be able to be comfortable with oneself when us straight people grew up comfy and catered to.

Like I think a lot of straight people who show a lot of homophobic and transphobic traits are so out of touch with the rest of the world and lgbtq+ folks are becoming more accepted and that's great but it still not what straight people like to say is "normal"

There's still people out there who hate lgbtq+ Mike Pence the vice president said he supports "treating people" of their gayness I grew up in a small town and saw one of my closest friends get ridiculed for being a "***". Right now I live in a big city but work in a small town outside of that city and a 20 minute drive to that small town is like a worlds difference the people there are openly homophobic, transphobic, and racist so those people still exist

and until that is drastically changed i'm still going to go above and beyond to be an ally to the community.

I went off on a tangent lmao but as an ally i just do my best to be supportive and help and if i'm not educated on something i seek guidance and education. I feel like as a straight white female I have a lot privilege so I try and use that privilege to help others who are looked over.

Wow, reading your text actually made me tear up :) it touches me so much to hear these words and it gives me so much hope and strength and the feeling that what I do is right. I've gone through a lot of confusion and insecurity in this process, most straight people I talk to can't really understand what it means to be bisexual and always tell me I'm going through a typical teenager phase. It's so upsetting to not be taken seriously and it made me feel so insecure so many times. Thank you so much for your contribution, people like you are a gem.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I am a lesbian. I have faced discrimination. My grandma doesn’t approve of my sexuality, but luckily I have moved from home. I never understood why so many people have to be close minded.

I especially hate it when people ask why they don’t get a heterosexual pride month. It’s bsvsuse straight people don’t face discrimination. There doesn’t have to be a heterosexual pride because that is considered the normal. The LGBTQ community faces discrimination everyday.

I agree, it raised quite a few eyebrows in the rows of my heterosexual friends and peers when I got excited about an upcoming pride parade or just a little pride flag sticker in a shop window. These little signs of approval give me so much hope and happiness and both pride parades I attended turned out to be one of the best days of my life BECAUSE I could just BE without being QUESTIONED! And it's freakin sad that I only feel comfortable and proud with and of myself once a year!

- - - Post Merge - - -

This reminds me of a comment this man made about McDonalds supporting Pride Month. This man goes to social media to tell everyone to not eat at McDonalds because they are encouraging the young to be gay, and that he is tired of corporations influencing families in that way. So McDonalds comments their support for the LGBT community and calls the man salty xD Just a funny yet ignorant comment.

Another comment on the ignorance: People think that sexuality is a choice or gender is a choice, when that's not true. Why would people of the LGBT+ community choose to be something that causes them to be picked on daily? Why would they choose to be hated, ridiculed, outcasted, etc? Or if you're like me, a trans... Why would I choose to suffer from my dysphoria daily? I can't ignore my dysphoria just like everyone else can't ignore their sexuality or fake it.

I haven't come out to family, but I'm happy to have friends and a lover who support me for who I am ^.^ Being scared to come out puts me down, and I know that I just want acceptance from my parents who gave birth to me. They need to know the truth. But if I come out, and they don't accept me, I know I have friends who do, and maybe eventually my parents will learn to accept me for who I am. Because I just want to live my life without having to struggle with myself daily and to be able to transition ^.^

I wish you the very best! :) it takes a lot of courage, well done for telling your friends! I'm very happy for you that they are supportive.

About the ignorance- lots of people think lgbtq people are just looking for attention. I overheard someone in my old school saying that he thinks being gay is becoming just another trend, that people just want to be special and seen. It made me so sad... If I had a chance to change things, I still wouldn't want to change the way I feel. But still - it's not easy to not fit the norm. Maybe it's easier for a bisexual person because "there's hope I would snap out of it and go back to liking the gender I was assigned to like when I was born" than for trans and gay people, but people still judge, still make comments and still shake heads and that's NOT easy to deal with if you're someone sensitive like me.

There were random times in public I got rude looks from older people. I assumed it was because of my sexuality. I dress gay, and look gay. My clothing style consists of sports teams shirts, Nike shirts including sleeveless hoodies, with the Nike dri-fit athletic pants and Converse type shoes. I have short hair that is considered a guy’s haircut. I’m clearly part of the rainbow when you consider my appearance, although it isn’t good to judge solely based on the way someone looks.

Anyway, they would mumble things under their breath like “stupid ****.” My grandma commented on her work hiring a bunch of gay guys and referred to her workplace as “f*g central.” For some reason, I feel like she says things like this to upset me. Every time I’m around, she always has something negative to say about the LGBTQ community. That is exactly why I left.

This is the way I see it. I use analogies, and I think everyone in life should, because we all usually have something we’re born into that we cannot change, no matter how hard we try.

With me, it’s Aspergers. I was born with it and diagnosed at age 10, but I overcame the social “disadvantages” of it over time and am 50% introverted/50% extroverted now. I still see people belittle those with disabilities like mine at times, and while I don’t actively seek them out and try to set them straight, people who say stuff like “vaccines cause Aspergers/ADHD/etc,” or “these people are not like us,” it seriously angers me and I leave the page (it’s sometimes in YouTube comments too, but that’s YouTube for you, lol).

But honestly, if anyone said that to me IRL, I would not use my martial arts and hurt them. I would tell them that great thinkers and people like Albert Einstein had Aspergers, and without people like that, a lot of these idiots would not be here today. So I embrace it and call it an “advantage” over everyone else, which it technically is, because it makes me more smart of a person compared to a lot of people. I may not have the biggest muscles or a girlfriend (not that I want one), but I never back down from a challenge, and I like to make things hard for myself.

My younger self would have been the opposite. Without all the opportunities I took advantage of in life to become more social, I probably would have been like Hugh from Pokemon B2/W2, going around and beating up all the people that don’t agree with what’s “normal”, and I honestly hate the word normal. I hate it with an evil smile, because there is nothing “normal in life”. Everything is always different and changing, and if you don’t like change, you might as well give up now.

I’m explaining all of this because I feel like it should be the same thing with the LGBT+ community. Embrace who you are. Embrace it. But don’t go hating on others who disagree. Instead, show compassion to them and educate them on everything LGBT+. I would quote this from Pokemon B2/W2 that the Gym Leader, Clay, says to Hugh and the MC when Hugh is asking what’s different between the good and bad Team Plasma to those kinds of people (that hate on straight people):

“There's always room for folks to grow and change, ain't there? And, if ya only go after what ya think is right, ya might end up rejectin' all thoughts and opinions other than yer own. That's mighty dangerous."

But I know in my heart that the TRUE nature of the movement for LGBT+ people is to help others come out, to help them feel safe with who they are, that in the past women received rights finally, people of different ethnicities received rights, and now I think it’s time for this sort of silly, idiotic segregation to end, for both straight and LGBT+ people. And it starts with what was talked about, ending the confusion, educating people, and helping make sure everyone can do what they want to in life (as long as it’s legal).

If it takes me the rest of my life, I will use my broadcasting/public speaking position to force the masses into submission, to force them to learn that their way of life isn’t the only way of life, but I will do it through trust and kindness, as is the only way to victory in life, love, and donations as well.

I will change the world.

Believe it!

Last edited:
This is the way I see it. I use analogies, and I think everyone in life should, because we all usually have something we?re born into that we cannot change, no matter how hard we try.

With me, it?s Aspergers. I was born with it and diagnosed at age 10, but I overcame the social ?disadvantages? of it over time and am 50% introverted/50% extroverted now. I still see people belittle those with disabilities like mine at times, and while I don?t actively seek them out and try to set them straight, people who say stuff like ?vaccines cause Aspergers/ADHD/etc,? or ?these people are not like us,? it seriously angers me and I leave the page (it?s sometimes in YouTube comments too, but that?s YouTube for you, lol)
I have been dealing with this same issue my whole life, and unfortunately I haven't found the proper treatment to help me cope with many of the issues that come with it. And that's another difficult thing, is that instead of someone understanding that you have an issue and they need to be aware of it, they just assume that you're stuck up or rude. Really ticks me off.
Also people thinking that those with aspergers are not good, or that it's a terrible thing to have. Well it's obviously not bad?? I mean in the socializing part, it can be bad, but I have been told by many people that I am very smart and gifted, so it's not really a bad thing? Idk I'm gonna stop here lol
I consider myself ace and the only person in my life who knows that is one of my close friends (she's bi). We both fully accept each other for it, and she respects that I don't feel comfortable with anything regarding sexuality. tbh she's just so great ;w;

Idk why I haven't told my parents yet. Probably either because they expect me to be straight (my mom always tells me I need to get married and that she wants grandchildren) or because they honestly don't care about how I feel regarding that. I'm sure my mom would respect how I feel but idk what my dad would think. He prob thinks it's a disease or something.

I have been dealing with this same issue my whole life, and unfortunately I haven't found the proper treatment to help me cope with many of the issues that come with it. And that's another difficult thing, is that instead of someone understanding that you have an issue and they need to be aware of it, they just assume that you're stuck up or rude. Really ticks me off.
Also people thinking that those with aspergers are not good, or that it's a terrible thing to have. Well it's obviously not bad?? I mean in the socializing part, it can be bad, but I have been told by many people that I am very smart and gifted, so it's not really a bad thing? Idk I'm gonna stop here lol
I consider myself ace and the only person in my life who knows that is one of my close friends (she's bi). We both fully accept each other for it, and she respects that I don't feel comfortable with anything regarding sexuality. tbh she's just so great ;w;

Idk why I haven't told my parents yet. Probably either because they expect me to be straight (my mom always tells me I need to get married and that she wants grandchildren) or because they honestly don't care about how I feel regarding that. I'm sure my mom would respect how I feel but idk what my dad would think. He prob thinks it's a disease or something.
I’m glad your friend accepts you for it! It is always nice to have a close friend! Also, you do not owe anyone an explanation for who you are. It doesn’t matter if you are related to that person. The great thing is having the freedom to be who you are. Your mom can accept it, or she won’t. However, do not let her justify her behavior or attitude about who you are. I think family is someone that cares for you and supports you! Sure, parents provide for you when you are younger, but support in who you are matters more. I believe that family isn’t always blood related. Someone who disapproves of who I am and hates me for it, is not considered family to me.

I even told my best friend, she’s like a sister to me. I haven’t felt closer to one person, and I love her to death. I just want to say, don’t fear your family’s disapproval. Who you are shouldn’t bother them. :)

This is the way I see it. I use analogies, and I think everyone in life should, because we all usually have something we?re born into that we cannot change, no matter how hard we try.

With me, it?s Aspergers. I was born with it and diagnosed at age 10, but I overcame the social ?disadvantages? of it over time and am 50% introverted/50% extroverted now. I still see people belittle those with disabilities like mine at times, and while I don?t actively seek them out and try to set them straight, people who say stuff like ?vaccines cause Aspergers/ADHD/etc,? or ?these people are not like us,? it seriously angers me and I leave the page (it?s sometimes in YouTube comments too, but that?s YouTube for you, lol).

But honestly, if anyone said that to me IRL, I would not use my martial arts and hurt them. I would tell them that great thinkers and people like Albert Einstein had Aspergers, and without people like that, a lot of these idiots would not be here today. So I embrace it and call it an ?advantage? over everyone else, which it technically is, because it makes me more smart of a person compared to a lot of people. I may not have the biggest muscles or a girlfriend (not that I want one), but I never back down from a challenge, and I like to make things hard for myself.

My younger self would have been the opposite. Without all the opportunities I took advantage of in life to become more social, I probably would have been like Hugh from Pokemon B2/W2, going around and beating up all the people that don?t agree with what?s ?normal?, and I honestly hate the word normal. I hate it with an evil smile, because there is nothing ?normal in life?. Everything is always different and changing, and if you don?t like change, you might as well give up now.

I?m explaining all of this because I feel like it should be the same thing with the LGBT+ community. Embrace who you are. Embrace it. But don?t go hating on others who disagree. Instead, show compassion to them and educate them on everything LGBT+. I would quote this from Pokemon B2/W2 that the Gym Leader, Clay, says to Hugh and the MC when Hugh is asking what?s different between the good and bad Team Plasma to those kinds of people (that hate on straight people):

?There's always room for folks to grow and change, ain't there? And, if ya only go after what ya think is right, ya might end up rejectin' all thoughts and opinions other than yer own. That's mighty dangerous."

But I know in my heart that the TRUE nature of the movement for LGBT+ people is to help others come out, to help them feel safe with who they are, that in the past women received rights finally, people of different ethnicities received rights, and now I think it?s time for this sort of silly, idiotic segregation to end, for both straight and LGBT+ people. And it starts with what was talked about, ending the confusion, educating people, and helping make sure everyone can do what they want to in life (as long as it?s legal).

If it takes me the rest of my life, I will use my broadcasting/public speaking position to force the masses into submission, to force them to learn that their way of life isn?t the only way of life, but I will do it through trust and kindness, as is the only way to victory in life, love, and donations as well.

I will change the world.

Believe it!

Amen to that :) thank you so much!

This is the way I see it. I use analogies, and I think everyone in life should, because we all usually have something we’re born into that we cannot change, no matter how hard we try.

With me, it’s Aspergers. I was born with it and diagnosed at age 10, but I overcame the social “disadvantages” of it over time and am 50% introverted/50% extroverted now. I still see people belittle those with disabilities like mine at times, and while I don’t actively seek them out and try to set them straight, people who say stuff like “vaccines cause Aspergers/ADHD/etc,” or “these people are not like us,” it seriously angers me and I leave the page (it’s sometimes in YouTube comments too, but that’s YouTube for you, lol).

But honestly, if anyone said that to me IRL, I would not use my martial arts and hurt them. I would tell them that great thinkers and people like Albert Einstein had Aspergers, and without people like that, a lot of these idiots would not be here today. So I embrace it and call it an “advantage” over everyone else, which it technically is, because it makes me more smart of a person compared to a lot of people. I may not have the biggest muscles or a girlfriend (not that I want one), but I never back down from a challenge, and I like to make things hard for myself.

My younger self would have been the opposite. Without all the opportunities I took advantage of in life to become more social, I probably would have been like Hugh from Pokemon B2/W2, going around and beating up all the people that don’t agree with what’s “normal”, and I honestly hate the word normal. I hate it with an evil smile, because there is nothing “normal in life”. Everything is always different and changing, and if you don’t like change, you might as well give up now.

I’m explaining all of this because I feel like it should be the same thing with the LGBT+ community. Embrace who you are. Embrace it. But don’t go hating on others who disagree. Instead, show compassion to them and educate them on everything LGBT+. I would quote this from Pokemon B2/W2 that the Gym Leader, Clay, says to Hugh and the MC when Hugh is asking what’s different between the good and bad Team Plasma to those kinds of people (that hate on straight people):

“There's always room for folks to grow and change, ain't there? And, if ya only go after what ya think is right, ya might end up rejectin' all thoughts and opinions other than yer own. That's mighty dangerous."

But I know in my heart that the TRUE nature of the movement for LGBT+ people is to help others come out, to help them feel safe with who they are, that in the past women received rights finally, people of different ethnicities received rights, and now I think it’s time for this sort of silly, idiotic segregation to end, for both straight and LGBT+ people. And it starts with what was talked about, ending the confusion, educating people, and helping make sure everyone can do what they want to in life (as long as it’s legal).

If it takes me the rest of my life, I will use my broadcasting/public speaking position to force the masses into submission, to force them to learn that their way of life isn’t the only way of life, but I will do it through trust and kindness, as is the only way to victory in life, love, and donations as well.

I will change the world.

Believe it!

Honestly, I feel like this post, while coming from a good place and hitting on an important point, misses the mark. It is unfortunate what you and others on the spectrum went through, go through, and will continue to go through. People can be very unreasonable and awful to one another. I sympathize with your past and the following is not in any way meant to diminish the validity of the pain you've experienced. However, I cannot say that your analogy is very analogous.

LGBTQ+ people and people on the spectrum are both murdered for who they are, but trans women have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered, and that chance increases to a 1 in 8 chance for trans women of color. LGBTQ+ people also face obstacles to their access to housing, employment, and freedom to live their lives the way they choose in both wide sections of the US and in various places elsewhere around the world. Health insurance companies can deny people for their gender identity. Musical artists in Jamaica make happy songs about killing gay men. 41% of transpeople attempt suicide and transgender youth are twice as likely compared to the rest of the population to not finish school. Imagine all of these things in combination with being on the autism spectrum, heck, I know a few people who that applies to.

I'm not trying to make an "Oppression Olympics" point but I'm trying to get across that there's a bigger problem than just name calling, bullying, and callous ignorance. I feel this distinction is an important one to make because your post is basically putting all of the onus on the LGBTQ+ community. Perhaps that was not your intention, but there are LGBTQ+ people that do put on the brave face, LGBTQ+ people do try to show compassion, LGBTQ+ people do try to educate the other side. The issue is not so simply resolved when the other side not only refuses to listen but strives to create and enforce laws that make their lives even harder.

The point I feel you do make that I agree with is that if LGBTQ+ people want to succeed in achieving equality, or as close to it as possible in this awful world, then it is important not to lose sight of the shared humanity and potential for change within those who have long oppressed them and continue to do so. They likewise must do their best to show their own shared humanity. Anger, frustration, and hatred as a result of the oppression they face is understandable and completely valid, but every person must ensure that they do not lose themselves and become consumed by their anger, resentment, and prejudices. If there's one lesson that should be drilled into everyone's head by now from all the entertainment media we consume these days, it should be that since it's in so many works. Even if equality is ever achieved, the past few years have shown in stark relief that LGBTQ+ and allies must be forever vigilant in the defense of what has been achieved, as complacency leads to ruin.

Both sides must be willing to negotiate and make compromises. Without that basic level of decorum, things will only get worse.

I speak as someone who at one point identified as a transgender female, but upon the outbreak of outside factors causing me to search myself and contemplate upon the nature of my identity, I no longer feel the term would be applicable to me. I still carry that part of me within me, but I recognize it to be different than the intense dysphoria that ordinary trans people feel. I am also asexual, or something similar. I don't feel sexual attraction toward the bodies of men, women, or anything else. I might be heteroromantic because women interest me since they're different. I'm not opposed to having a relationship with a woman if one was interested and had the intelligence and compassion to comprehend and accept me as I am, but if I never have a relationship then it's no big deal to me. I don't want kids anyway, and never getting into a relationship is a fantastic birth control method.

I am an ally, I want the best for all of humanity, and I want love and understanding to prevail over all.

Last edited:

It’s unfortunate people like you will never understand what people like me with Aspergers/ADHD/OCD/etc. have to go through every day of our lives. You also seem to be misinterpreting parts of my post, and my post is more so about embracing who you are as a person and sharing the love for things. If certain people from either side cannot accept that, then humanity has failed at raising them.

I went to a private high school for kids and teenagers with disabilities, and you remind me of someone I used to know from there, so to hear what you have to say here sounds very off-base. People with disabilities like mine have killed themselves as well, are likely not to graduate university, and have other risks included. It’s sad, but I also think without having the disability in the first place, no matter how much people like you analyze it, you’ll never understand. Hell, I’ve wanted to jump into the streets several times myself last Spring. Was it because I was not strong enough that I didn’t do it, or am I stronger for not doing it?

Sometimes it honestly feels like I’m doing a diservice to society and it would help everyone out if I were dead. I imagine people from the LGBT+ community feel at least similar to that at times, which is unfortunate because life is so great if we just work together to make it great.

The analogy I used, I felt though, was very spot on. If you disagree, perhaps you could be a little more specific.

Also, not trying to make this thread about myself, but it’s difficult when a bunch of people view what I post, and either do not say anything, or decide to just disagree with me. I’m not saying you’re wrong for doing so. It just kind of gets annoying in life when people will not listen to a word I say. No harm, no foul though. ^_^

Last edited:
Firstly, I apologize that my previous post offended and hurt you to the degree it did. It was not my intention.

It’s unfortunate people like you will never understand what people like me with Aspergers/ADHD/OCD/etc. have to go through every day of our lives. You also seem to be misinterpreting parts of my post, and my post is more so about embracing who you are as a person and sharing the love for things. If certain people from either side cannot accept that, then humanity has failed at raising them.

I will concede this because you are correct, I have neither mental nor physical disability and I cannot see things for myself from the same perspective as you. As such I can only base my perspective on what people share. The post you had previously made gave the impression that if LGBTQ+, or anyone, just sucks it up and puts on the brave face, have a positive attitude and go for their goal anyway then everything just works out. As a pessimistic person in general and as someone who once identified as part of the LGBTQ+ family the reading I took from the previous post rubbed me the wrong way. For example, I disagree with the notion that "it gets better." I now have further context, and as I tried to stress previously, I was in no way trying to diminish what you and others experience.

I will say, for whatever little it is worth, I have a number of autistic friends and my best friend's child is autistic. Anything I've said comes with no intentional malice toward anyone on the spectrum. I love everybody, and seek to understand everybody.

We have different outlooks. That's okay. That's what conversation is for, to expand our depth of knowledge and understanding.

I went to a private high school for kids and teenagers with disabilities, and you remind me of someone I used to know from there, so to hear what you have to say here sounds very off-base. People with disabilities like mine have killed themselves as well, are likely not to graduate university, and have other risks included. It’s sad, but I also think without having the disability in the first place, no matter how much people like you analyze it, you’ll never understand. Hell, I’ve wanted to jump into the streets several times myself last Spring. Was it because I was not strong enough that I didn’t do it, or am I stronger for not doing it?
As stated previously, I did not intend to diminish the unique difficulties faced by those on the spectrum. I merely intended to make clear that while both experience discrimination, they are different types of discrimination and that discrimination against LGBTQ+ often involves discriminatory laws. The LGBTQ+ struggle is different from the Autism struggle, is different from the struggle for equality for women, which itself is different from the struggle people of color have faced for equality. Each group's struggle has its own nuances, and while they all share in suffering, they are different shades of grey. If you can inform me of laws being sought out or that are already on the books against people on the Autism/Asperger's spectrum then I am very open to learning more about this.

As a formerly suicidal person who has cast aside the concept for myself, I'd say you were neither too weak nor stronger for your decision not to commit, but that you came to your own conclusion and if it works for you then it is right. I don't judge people who actually go through with it because I can understand where they are coming from. Labeling such an intimate and individual decision right or wrong, I feel, contributes nothing good to collective humanity and empathy.

And hey, again for whatever it is worth, for as dissimilar as we may be in some respects, we've had the same contemplation about how to go about ending it all in our darkest hours.

Sometimes it honestly feels like I’m doing a diservice to society and it would help everyone out if I were dead. I imagine people from the LGBT+ community feel at least similar to that at times, which is unfortunate because life is so great if we just work together to make it great.
I've felt the same, and know LGBTQ+ who do as well. I'm sorry you feel that way.

The analogy I used, I felt though, was very spot on. If you disagree, perhaps you could be a little more specific.

I will do so now.

As I laid out toward the end of my previous post, it feels like this specific bit lays the whole responsibility of fixing this problem on the oppressed, a number of whom are doing their fair share, if not moreso, and doesn't give enough weight to the responsibility of the oppressors to listen to the problems raised by the oppressed and having the willingness to have a dialogue about it. You can only do so much when people are willing to leave their minds closed. As someone who once bore the weight of the identity and now as an ally, the constant vigilance LGBTQ+ and allies must put forth to be able to experience basic human decency is exhausting. It only becomes moreso with things like the Supreme Court in the US becoming stacked in favor of the GOP, the party which most often pushes for anti-LGBTQ+ legislation.

Additionally, this bit came off to me as framing LGBTQ+ people being resentful for their treatment and feeling frustrated with straight people as somehow a more serious crime than the decisions made by lawmakers to utterly ruin if not end the lives of LGBTQ+ people. Again, that probably wasn't your intention, but I felt it needed to be addressed.

But as I said in my previous post:

ZombifiedHorror said:
The point I feel you do make that I agree with is that if LGBTQ+ people want to succeed in achieving equality, or as close to it as possible in this awful world, then it is important not to lose sight of the shared humanity and potential for change within those who have long oppressed them and continue to do so. They likewise must do their best to show their own shared humanity. Anger, frustration, and hatred as a result of the oppression they face is understandable and completely valid, but every person must ensure that they do not lose themselves and become consumed by their anger, resentment, and prejudices. If there's one lesson that should be drilled into everyone's head by now from all the entertainment media we consume these days, it should be that since it's in so many works. Even if equality is ever achieved, the past few years have shown in stark relief that LGBTQ+ and allies must be forever vigilant in the defense of what has been achieved, as complacency leads to ruin.

Both sides must be willing to negotiate and make compromises. Without that basic level of decorum, things will only get worse.

As we are doing now, humanity at large all need to be open to these serious conversations and to compromise. We cannot, whoever we are, allow our anger to consume us and must always seek out the shared humanity within us all.

Also, not trying to make this thread about myself, but it’s difficult when a bunch of people view what I post, and either do not say anything, or decide to just disagree with me. I’m not saying you’re wrong for doing so. It just kind of gets annoying in life when people will not listen to a word I say. No harm, no foul though. ^_^
I honestly wasn't going to make the post because I saw the thread the other day and decided to let it go, but the bump actually encouraged me to throw my two cents in. It might have been a mistake on my part, but I'd rather look at it as an opportunity for me, and perhaps you if I offered anything worthwhile, to see things from another point of view that we might not otherwise be exposed to. I hope we can both come away from this exchange having gained something, and I hope that something is not resentment because that was one of the the main points of my previous post, that we all need to have fair, honest dialogues or the collective situation of humanity will only slip further into the abyss.

Suffice it to say, I would rather be your ally than your enemy. We have the same goal, peaceful coexistence for our species, and it does us and the world a disservice to tear each other apart rather than cooperate. Thank you for giving me your outlook on things, it is much appreciated. I can't say whether I've offered anything worth considering, but if so, I hope we can continue to learn from one another.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining all of that. I agree now with everything you’ve said, and understand just a little bit better how things are from both sides. I’m sure it took some time to write all that down, and I appreciate every word because you have convinced me and I HAVE taken some good things away from this. :)

EDIT: Also, you made me cry, but not because I’m hurt. I just cannot handle this sort of thing. You’re a great person.

Last edited:
I'm either a biromantic or panromantic ace here, I honestly don't know which one. I also have Asperger's and I'm currently dealing with social and general anxiety issues, making it much more difficult to make decisions in life. I have yet to come out in real life because of fears of getting hurt or discriminated against.

I can't think of what else to type here on this post because it's late and I'm tired.

I’m also dealing with anxiety at the moment. I have a history of people leaving after a certain time of talking to me, and it makes me wonder why the all of a sudden leave. I haven’t done anything that I’m aware of. Also, I have my best friend to talk to but we haven’t been talking as much as we used to. Although we still talk everyday. I think she’s just busy with school stuff because she just graduated. Unfortunately, this has me a little anxious because of my past history of people leaving. I also do not want to come off as clingy, but I have a tendency to want to keep people in my life that I think I become a little clingy, and then that annoys some people. I’m trying to improve on that.

Back