• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Zelda Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom

I get you.
I personally feel fine with their decision because Totk gave me so much I felt was missing in Botw but if you prefer the old dungeon/item-gameplay I can totally understand your sadness. Maybe there'll one day offer another 2D Zelda (which is easier for them to do produce in-between naturally). If not: There are by now a lot of good alternative games to choose from like Darksiders, Tunic a.s.o. (of course finding a REAL replacement is near impossible).
I totally feel that, hopefully one day it can happen again! Plus I still really enjoy 2D Zelda as well, so not all hope is lost with me at least lol.

I've been avoiding this thread and spoilers because Youtube can't get enough of recommending me videos about Tears of the Kingdom like crazy! But I was recently able to get the game FINALLY because May was so chaotic, and now you bet I'm going to spend as much of my summer as possible playing and exploring! Was feeling very rusty at first because it's been more than a year since I finished BotW even after sinking 700+ hours into that game and now to sink another 700+ hours of my life into TotK lol

The first thing I want to do once I get off the Great Sky Island is go horse hunting in the Taobab Grassland (my preferred horse stats are Strength of 2, Speed of 5 and Stamina of 3) I want to tame and register the same two horses I have in Breath of the Wild so that they can join me on this new adventure! In that game, I used the ability to warp as little as possible so that I could just travel everywhere on horseback. That was a lot of fun to do, so relaxing and really immersive 🥰

The thing I'm most excited about is that TotK has proper dungeons and bosses. It's the core of any Zelda game, along with the story and lore. I caught glimpse of this little detail thanks to a Youtube thumbnail, but I'm going in as blind as I can. I can't wait to see for myself and experience everything the game has to offer, especially for that $70 price tag, I mean of course Nintendo was going to get away with it lol when it comes to Legend of Zelda, they do not mess around. That's their magnum opus, along with Mario. Quality is everything, and after that opening sequence, it definitely shows.

I'm close to 70 hours and have made big progress (casually exploring on the site). Yesterday I just wanted to explore the world some more (not doing any side quests) and stumbled upon a main quest by accident :-D This game really wants me to move forward at this point.

Brilliant game. I guess I'll have 100 hours on my clock before I finish it
2 totally unexplored overworld areas (including desert and its dungeon and a huge chunk of the Depths still to go - and of course many side quests

I've been avoiding this thread and spoilers because Youtube can't get enough of recommending me videos about Tears of the Kingdom like crazy! But I was recently able to get the game FINALLY because May was so chaotic, and now you bet I'm going to spend as much of my summer as possible playing and exploring! Was feeling very rusty at first because it's been more than a year since I finished BotW even after sinking 700+ hours into that game and now to sink another 700+ hours of my life into TotK lol

The first thing I want to do once I get off the Great Sky Island is go horse hunting in the Taobab Grassland (my preferred horse stats are Strength of 2, Speed of 5 and Stamina of 3) I want to tame and register the same two horses I have in Breath of the Wild so that they can join me on this new adventure! In that game, I used the ability to warp as little as possible so that I could just travel everywhere on horseback. That was a lot of fun to do, so relaxing and really immersive 🥰

The thing I'm most excited about is that TotK has proper dungeons and bosses. It's the core of any Zelda game, along with the story and lore. I caught glimpse of this little detail thanks to a Youtube thumbnail, but I'm going in as blind as I can. I can't wait to see for myself and experience everything the game has to offer, especially for that $70 price tag, I mean of course Nintendo was going to get away with it lol when it comes to Legend of Zelda, they do not mess around. That's their magnum opus, along with Mario. Quality is everything, and after that opening sequence, it definitely shows.
Its not really a spoiler but i'll put it in a spoiler tag anyway, in regards to horses though:

If you have a horse registered in a stable on BOTW im 99% certain the horse will be transferred to TOTK once you get to a stable. So the first stable you get to you should be able to take out your horse from BOTW
Post automatically merged:

Unrelated, I've been playing for 60 Hours now and I have only done one temple and haven't set foot near zora domain, Gerudo desert or the volcano yet. This game is HUGGGE

Its not really a spoiler but i'll put it in a spoiler tag anyway, in regards to horses though:

If you have a horse registered in a stable on BOTW im 99% certain the horse will be transferred to TOTK once you get to a stable. So the first stable you get to you should be able to take out your horse from BOTW
Post automatically merged:

Unrelated, I've been playing for 60 Hours now and I have only done one temple and haven't set foot near zora domain, Gerudo desert or the volcano yet. This game is HUGGGE

Then you're even more slow-going than me (which is a good thing in this game). I only had 1 temple after 20 hours but sometimes I just want to make some progress :) I also don't mind missing out on 1-2 things for another playthrough someday in the future.
That being said, I'm still way slower than in most other games (especially open world games I've played).

Just hit the 100 hour mark myself, I'm badly addicted to this game now been taking my Switch with me to work and playing during my lunch :LOL: haven't done that with my Switch since New Horizons first came out.

Just found out 2 pretty cool new tips yesterday that I thought were pretty cool.
When using Tulin's sage ability while gliding, if you quickly cancel your glide and then glide again after using his ability it will give you even more of a boost in the air, makes gliding around a bit faster. Also if you talk to Cece in Hateno village with your Hylian hood on after completing her sidequests she'll give you the option to wear it with the hood down, just thought it was neat.

I would not recommend this as it was extremely dangerous and terrifying. Basically entered a death match merry-go-round with a bear but I enjoyed this outcome.
FxpuxT5agAELP3V

He ran away as soon as I dismounted and disappeared into the trees, waiting for revenge.

I like to waste my time by putting too much effort into my compendium entry photography. Thought I'd share some of my favourites so far.

1685832062941.png
1685832279435.png

1685832935726.png

1685832073313.png
1685832463790.png

1685832822280.png

with over 170 hours in the game already, I've decided to turn the game's Eventide Island into an animal crossing recreation! anyway, time to ponder why I've spent so long in it in less than a month

oh, and I still haven't finished the game yet. Have done all of the shrines, all of the lightroots, and finished all the main quests besides find zelda/destroy ganondorf, and somehow have only done like 25 koroks.

Last edited:
I like to waste my time by putting too much effort into my compendium entry photography. Thought I'd share some of my favourites so far.

I have so much fun with the compendium too! My favourite is a picture I took of a frozen bear surrounded by ice chuchus. I'm currently going through the game kind of slowly (in fact I've saved so many koroks and shrines as travel points that I need to get back to). My favourite questlines so far is Lurelin and the Goron regional phenomena.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so far, but I knew going in I was going to absolutely LOVE it and praise it every morning I wake up 🥰 in terms of gameplay and world building, to be frank. That, to me, is the best thing about BotW and TotK, is the insane amount of detail, lore and charm you find in all the environments, map locations, villages and NPC dialogue. Clearly a lot of love, hard work and dedication put in by the devs 💖

imo the story of BotW wasn't really its strong point, especially the final boss. I'd even go so far as to say it was the weakest entry in the series when it came to the story. BotW was more about the adventure itself, the adventure you made for yourself and all the wild experiences you had and memories you made. It was about what you did, what you explored, the things you discovered, the places you visited, and so on. I'm happy to say that TotK fulfills all the same feelings I had when playing BotW, and then some.

My main gripe with BotW was the lack of enemy types/varieties, and lack of some of the other classic monsters. It was great having Moblins and Chuchus, and I definitely appreciated the introduction of new monsters, such as Molduga, but all throughout my time playing I was thinking, "Where are the Like Likes? The Deku Babas? The Peahats?" so when I encountered my very first Like Like, I geeked out so ridiculously hard and legit shed a couple tears of joy, as silly as that sounds 🥲 that was my biggest wish for TotK, to see the return of a classic enemy or two. I have yet to discover ALL the enemy classes, so there may be another surprise waiting for me somewhere.

In response to your post @Lancelot I'll hide it in a spoiler just in case as well.
That was really exciting news about the horses transferring over, good looking out! Definitely would have saved me from the hassle. I went straight away to the nearest stable to see if my data transferred over, but as it turns out, your horses only transfer over from a BotW save data that not only has to be located in the same space as your TotK save data (either the system memory or an SD card) but that was also played in Regular Mode, not Master Mode which was my case, unfortunately. So I couldn't be reunited with my horse companions.... But not to worry, I found a horse I was very happy with as she's literally a hybrid of my two BotW horses.

One of my favorite things to do in TotK is spelunking. It's so great there are underground cave systems, some more complex than others. It's a whole new environment to explore, with new flora and fauna. It's highly addicting down there, mining for ore and finding treasure. So atmospheric and relaxing to be honest. I've already spent like 50+ hours exploring every cave I come across in the overworld.

Zelda's just gonna have to keep waiting for Link to find her because he's having too much fun being a caveman lol 😂

imo the story of BotW wasn't really its strong point, especially the final boss. I'd even go so far as to say it was the weakest entry in the series when it came to the story. BotW was more about the adventure itself, the adventure you made for yourself and all the wild experiences you had and memories you made. It was about what you did, what you explored, the things you discovered, the places you visited, and so on. I'm happy to say that TotK fulfills all the same feelings I had when playing BotW, and then some.
I agree 100%, I just love how open and free BotW and TotK are. A lot of other open world games I've played can sometimes feel restricting to me so it was nice to play a game that just threw you into the world and said go wherever and do whatever. At the same time it definitely did hurt the story in BotW as it was basically just thrown to the side and wasn't the main focus of the game at all, which is a shame because I feel it honestly had a decent story to tell and the cut scenes that were there I thought were good.

I finally finished the Dragon's Tears memories quest last night.
Still a bit shocked by the last tear memory, did not see Zelda turning herself into the Light Dragon coming at all. Been looking all over the place for her and turns out she was in the sky all a long as a freaking dragon that I've been just shooting for parts so I can upgrade my Champion's Tunic :LOL:. It was quite sad honestly, Zelda has already been through so much in this story. She literally held Calamity Ganon in place for 100 years after Hyrule got destroyed by him, and now in this game she gets sent back into the past and has to become an immortal dragon to help save Hyrule again. Definitely have enjoyed these memories more than BotW's and still have a few more to see, I just wish the story was more of a focus in these games but I'm still enjoying it.

I’m currently trying to kill the Lightning Temple Boss. It’s a bit frustrating as I keep getting so close but the one attack keeps hitting me from right behind me and I’m trying to make sure I’m out of the way but can’t turn around fast enough.

I’m currently trying to kill the Lightning Temple Boss. It’s a bit frustrating as I keep getting so close but the one attack keeps hitting me from right behind me and I’m trying to make sure I’m out of the way but can’t turn around fast enough.

My best suggestion: buy around 50 arrows, and try and stay alive and healthy as long as you can for the first phase. When you get to the second phase, ignore Queen Gibdo as you avoid her attacks and focus only on shooting down the hives, as well as any little gibdos around the place. Also, the AI for Riju is utter trash, as she will charge headfirst into the sandstorms and stop charging her ability. For this, I recommend making a couple of speed buff meals.

My best suggestion: buy around 50 arrows, and try and stay alive and healthy as long as you can for the first phase. When you get to the second phase, ignore Queen Gibdo as you avoid her attacks and focus only on shooting down the hives, as well as any little gibdos around the place. Also, the AI for Riju is utter trash, as she will charge headfirst into the sandstorms and stop charging her ability. For this, I recommend making a couple of speed buff meals.
I am aiming for the hives the second half first before I attack Queen Gibdo. My problem is the sand spit attack keeps ambush8ng me from behind.

I am aiming for the hives the second half first before I attack Queen Gibdo. My problem is the sand spit attack keeps ambush8ng me from behind.
yeah, oof. I think what I did was just spam healing foods and speed up foods to avoid that. Best of luck to you! Riju is probably one of the least useful of the sages, at least for me, as all the others can be used in scenarios other than combat, as well as it being super difficult to have to walk over to activate her, then shoot an arrow, which I normally have around 6 of.

Beat the Lightning Temple last night I really enjoyed it, had the most traditional Zelda dungeon feel to it imo and the boss was by far the most challenging out of the Temple's. I think it was probably my favorite temple but the Wind Temple is close as well, they're both very different from each other so hard to choose between them. I like Riju's sage ability it's not as useful as some of the others I suppose but it definitely is really fun to use.

Got all the Phenomena and Dragon's Tears quests done now, idk how much of the main story I got left but I'm definitely thinking I'm near the endgame now.

Phenomena and Dragon's Tears quests done now, idk how much of the main story I got left but I'm definitely thinking I'm near the endgame now.
Not going to spoil anything, but unlike the previous game, after the four temples and things there is actually a lot more to do before the end!

to someone whoses never played a zelda game, would it be recommended for a new comer?
It might be helpful to have played BOTW first, but no past Zelda game is really needed to play or enjoy this one.

Back