• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Zelda Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom

to someone whoses never played a zelda game, would it be recommended for a new comer?

Yes.
The story of part 1 you can look up in 5 minutes and since Botw the series went into a new direction anyways.

You have to like big sandbox open worlds that let you lose fairly quickly.

Yes.
The story of part 1 you can look up in 5 minutes and since Botw the series went into a new direction anyways.

You have to like big sandbox open worlds that let you lose fairly quickly.
Oh yes, i love open world games.
I easily.get distracted by load of things when playig games and hate being forced doing a specific way in games

Looks super fun~
Cant wait to try it out

Oh yes, i love open world games.
I easily.get distracted by load of things when playig games and hate being forced doing a specific way in games

Looks super fun~
Cant wait to try it out

Well, looks like Totk is the game for you.
You're basically let go to explore very soon after the tutorial area (which is also very vast and open-ended).
Just my tip: Try to avoid all spoilers. There are a lot of things you want to see/find at your own pace.

Well, looks like Totk is the game for you.
You're basically let go to explore very soon after the tutorial area (which is also very vast and open-ended).
Just my tip: Try to avoid all spoilers. There are a lot of things you want to see/find at your own pace.
Wonderful~
Luckily I don't go on much social media or anything that shows that stuff so I'm quite good at not getting spoiled. :3

to someone whoses never played a zelda game, would it be recommended for a new comer?

Honestly, the Zelda games can be played in any order, and I think TotK would be fine to play before (or entirely without the others). It's a pretty straight forward open-world game, and I don't think you'd have any issues understanding what is going on or anything like that. - There will be some character interactions that would be more meaningful if you had played Breath of the Wild...but, nothing crazy. (Just a few people here and there who are happy to see you because you already had a history with them, etc.)

Wonderful~
Luckily I don't go on much social media or anything that shows that stuff so I'm quite good at not getting spoiled. :3

Are you in luck then :)
Meet and talk to us in this topic then, we'll help you spoiler-free if you need some help (f.e. if you have some questions or need a hint). The game is about finding out as much as possible on your own and it slowly eases you in (there's A LOT to learn tho if you haven't played the first, take your time).

2 things:
The tutorial is a rather large area. Don't leave it and fully test your abilities until you feel ready. The tutorial areas in both games are designed as "mini representations" of the open-world world without some of the more harsh mechanics (like weather) or aimless exploration (because there the give you a clearer goal). You'll need that time because the game is HUGE (no serious, biggest modern open-world) and Zelda Totk is by far the hardest Zelda game so far (in that some enemies can kill you with 1 hit if you wander around and don't pay attention (don't worry, the game quick-saves A LOT, dying is not an issue at all). It took me around 3-4 hours+ until I felt satisfied and it would have taken me longer if I was new to Botw AND Totk. Lean to use the D-Pad to select weapons/shields/bows as soon as possible (not the menu which would be another option), even if it feels more hectic because you'll be selecting weapons etc. A LOT.
Also: Once you leave the tutorial, eventhough free wandering feels tempting, finish the first "missions" to your north (near the castle) first because there's context and a key item you really want.

Botw (the predecessor) is now 100% obsolete because Totk does everything better in every way. Neverless: The story of part 2 is set directly after part 1. In part 1 the kingdom of Hyrule was beset by a big evil called "The Calamity Ganon". Link (princess Zelda's champion) and her other champions (one from each reagion) lost the battle and Link was send to heal to a healing shrine. He awakes 100 years later to find the land utterly ruined by the Calamity/the champions long dead and Zelda captured by the Calamity inside the castle. In the end Link is victorious, saves every region from Ganon's clutches and finally frees (the miraciously still young) Zelda as well by slaying the Calamity in a final showdown. Hyrule has yet again peace but the land needs to be rebuild. There are also some quirky scientist characters that Link meets along the way (you'll meet them a lot in Totk) but you'll also get backlogs for each one of them. Something to note: Magic like photography with devices a.s.o. is explained with "antient technology" in this game.

Last edited:
This one got a laugh from me:

348458438_577189994527287_8068009447088014_n.jpg

Honestly, the Zelda games can be played in any order, and I think TotK would be fine to play before (or entirely without the others). It's a pretty straight forward open-world game, and I don't think you'd have any issues understanding what is going on or anything like that. - There will be some character interactions that would be more meaningful if you had played Breath of the Wild...but, nothing crazy. (Just a few people here and there who are happy to see you because you already had a history with them, etc.)
Well I think that is sort of true but you really should play Link to the Past before Link Between Worlds and Phantom Hourglass Before Spirit Tracks as they are direct sequels to each other and reference their respective prequels, the Oracle games together as they were meant to be played that way, and Majora’s Mask after Ocarina of Time given a lot of things that happened in OoT is mentioned in Majora.

I suppose all of that is true...but, I've never played a Zelda game and been like "I'm lost...what did I miss?"...likewise, I've never been like "this plot is so deep that I need to connect all the dots". Lol.

I do fully get what you're saying.

But, if there's one franchise where you can kinda just ignore most things and make it out okay...I think Zelda is that series.

I suppose all of that is true...but, I've never played a Zelda game and been like "I'm lost...what did I miss?"...likewise, I've never been like "this plot is so deep that I need to connect all the dots". Lol.

I do fully get what you're saying.

But, if there's one franchise where you can kinda just ignore most things and make it out okay...I think Zelda is that series.

Well I'd argue that the series you're looking for is Super Mario but I also get what you mean.
Sure, Zelda isn't really defined by its complex story.

BUT if there was any Zelda game, that was actually trying to tell a story, it's Tears of the Kingdom and Twilight Princess.
The good thing about Tears is that Breath of the Wild was less focused on its story and can be summed up quite easily (see my post above).

Think Recall is starting to become my favorite ability now that I'm starting to use it more, using it against Octoroks and Recalling the rocks to hit them is always super satisfying since they were like the most annoying enemy in BotW for me. Figured out you can use it on Rocks that have fallen to get yourself up into the sky anytime you want as well which is really awesome.

Just did the Fire Temple yesterday as well, it was pretty cool I liked the Wind Temple a little more though but it was still really good. Can't believe the Gorons were all basically on crack eating those crazy rocks lol, and Yunobo's sage power is cool I really like it.

Think I'm gonna delve into some side quests now for the next few days, probably explore the underground a lot more as well. There's just so much to do in this game don't know when I'll actually beat it but definitely gonna take my time and not rush it.

Think Recall is starting to become my favorite ability now that I'm starting to use it more, using it against Octoroks and Recalling the rocks to hit them is always super satisfying since they were like the most annoying enemy in BotW for me. Figured out you can use it on Rocks that have fallen to get yourself up into the sky anytime you want as well which is really awesome.

Just did the Fire Temple yesterday as well, it was pretty cool I liked the Wind Temple a little more though but it was still really good. Can't believe the Gorons were all basically on crack eating those crazy rocks lol, and Yunobo's sage power is cool I really like it.

Think I'm gonna delve into some side quests now for the next few days, probably explore the underground a lot more as well. There's just so much to do in this game don't know when I'll actually beat it but definitely gonna take my time and not rush it.

Recall is the only ability I sadly always forget I have. I use it way less than the rest - it's really amazing tho because the minute you use it, time stands still ... I really like that part and abused it A LOT in shrine puzzles.

I did water and wind and liked water the best - fire is gonna be my next one ... funnily enough leaving the desert section yet again for last just like in Botw. I really need that anti-fire gear tho because I have a huge section in the Depth I can't explore because of heat.

I'm now 60 hours in, revealed a huge chunk of the maps and feel like 80-90 hours could be my playthrough. It's unbelievable how motivated I still am. I expected to be burned out after a week like I was with Botw.

Bro...I floated down one of the chasms and...landed literally directly on an Obsidian Frox. - It was a new chasm to me, so everything was dark, and I didn't even know what was happening. I quickly started launching light arrows in every direction and running for my life. I saw the light root and started running through the dark towards it. Then I started getting sucked backwards by something I couldn't even see. That was my introduction to a Frox. I made it to the light root and then proceeded to scout the area as I normally would. But, I now have PTSD. Lol.

Last edited:
Bro...I floated down one of the chasms and...landed literally directly on an Obsidian Frox. - It was a new chasm to me, so everything was dark, and I didn't even know what was happening. I quickly started launching light arrows in every direction and running for my life. I saw the light root and started running through the dark towards it. Then I started getting sucked backwards by something I couldn't even see. That was my introduction to a Frox. I made it to the light root and then proceeded to scout the area as I normally would. But, I now have PTSD. Lol.

Omg, this happened to me YESTERDAY as well! :-D
I was so confused when the boss health bar appeared and the music went into full swing. The boss itself wasn't too hard but I was seriously too perplexed for a short while and lost 2 meals in the progress.

Are you in luck then :)
Meet and talk to us in this topic then, we'll help you spoiler-free if you need some help (f.e. if you have some questions or need a hint). The game is about finding out as much as possible on your own and it slowly eases you in (there's A LOT to learn tho if you haven't played the first, take your time).

2 things:
The tutorial is a rather large area. Don't leave it and fully test your abilities until you feel ready. The tutorial areas in both games are designed as "mini representations" of the open-world world without some of the more harsh mechanics (like weather) or aimless exploration (because there the give you a clearer goal). You'll need that time because the game is HUGE (no serious, biggest modern open-world) and Zelda Totk is by far the hardest Zelda game so far (in that some enemies can kill you with 1 hit if you wander around and don't pay attention (don't worry, the game quick-saves A LOT, dying is not an issue at all). It took me around 3-4 hours+ until I felt satisfied and it would have taken me longer if I was new to Botw AND Totk. Lean to use the D-Pad to select weapons/shields/bows as soon as possible (not the menu which would be another option), even if it feels more hectic because you'll be selecting weapons etc. A LOT.
Also: Once you leave the tutorial, eventhough free wandering feels tempting, finish the first "missions" to your north (near the castle) first because there's context and a key item you really want.

Botw (the predecessor) is now 100% obsolete because Totk does everything better in every way. Neverless: The story of part 2 is set directly after part 1. In part 1 the kingdom of Hyrule was beset by a big evil called "The Calamity Ganon". Link (princess Zelda's champion) and her other champions (one from each reagion) lost the battle and Link was send to heal to a healing shrine. He awakes 100 years later to find the land utterly ruined by the Calamity/the champions long dead and Zelda captured by the Calamity inside the castle. In the end Link is victorious, saves every region from Ganon's clutches and finally frees (the miraciously still young) Zelda as well by slaying the Calamity in a final showdown. Hyrule has yet again peace but the land needs to be rebuild. There are also some quirky scientist characters that Link meets along the way (you'll meet them a lot in Totk) but you'll also get backlogs for each one of them. Something to note: Magic like photography with devices a.s.o. is explained with "antient technology" in this game.
Thank you guys so much~
I'll definitely will come back to the group for anything.

I did buy it from someone online, so just waiting for updates, though I easily overworry so just waiting,

And thank you for the stuff in the spoilers~
I've always wanted to get the zelda amiibos,mainly cause of the RVs i could get in new leaf but a lot are really pretty looking.

Just started up a bit.

Found the Great Plateau again!

Yeah and there's much more to find than first meets the eye.
My initial venture over the pleateau left me ... "dissapointed" but I also missed a lot of stuff. Happy that I did another search.

I really haven’t been feeling this game much tbh! I think I’m a bit tired of open world games lol, I know I’m 100% in the minority here but I really wish 3D Zelda would go back to the old style. I know they’ve confirmed pretty much the opposite of that ever happening again so I’ll just try and cope for now.

I really haven’t been feeling this game much tbh! I think I’m a bit tired of open world games lol, I know I’m 100% in the minority here but I really wish 3D Zelda would go back to the old style. I know they’ve confirmed pretty much the opposite of that ever happening again so I’ll just try and cope for now.

I get you.
I personally feel fine with their decision because Totk gave me so much I felt was missing in Botw but if you prefer the old dungeon/item-gameplay I can totally understand your sadness. Maybe there'll one day offer another 2D Zelda (which is easier for them to do produce in-between naturally). If not: There are by now a lot of good alternative games to choose from like Darksiders, Tunic a.s.o. (of course finding a REAL replacement is near impossible).

Yeah I get the want to return to more traditional 3D Zelda, but I also really love the BotW/TotK style they got now but I am a big open world game guy. I think personally I'd like a game that's maybe half and half in the future. Like maybe the first part of the game is more linear like the old games and we do 3-5 old style dungeons, then the game opens up halfway and the endgame is doing Divine Beast like dungeons and shrines that we can do in any order.

Think it's just hard to make old style dungeons with current mechanics they have in place in TotK as well, considering the abilities all kinda feel like cool cheat codes and there's so many different ways to do Temples and Shrines in this game.

Back