• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Zelda Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom

Tylerhelt14

Bells
Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom just came out today.This thread is to talk about Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and post screenshots from the game. I wish w. link, Medli,Ganon, and Epona would come back in Animal Crossing: New Horizons in honor of the release of Tears of the Kingdom.

Our copies are coming today! We got the special edition OLED switches too, I’m super excited to start playing it! We also just put together some knock-off Lego sets of Koroks and a Guardian in celebration of it, haha.

Ok so no spoiler from me :)

BUT I really have to say that I'm kinda overwhelmed by how good this game is. Seriously. My very first reaction wasn't all that positive because the game looked too bright (turned down brightness on my TV) and yeah well, the hardware limitations clearly show (even with that day one patch). That being said, they truely test the boundaries of the console and remind me of God of War or Uncharted 4 on PS4 (those games were the show-offs of that hardware in my opinion).

The best part is that - so far - the game addresses almost all of my complaints with the original. I always belonged to the "Breath of the Wild is a GOOD game" group but Tears of the Kingdom makes a much stronger case for itself from what I've seen so far.

The best part is that - so far - the game addresses almost all of my complaints with the original.
Can you list what these were? Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the game contains 100% of all my complaints from the original.

I’m going to make a longer post later, with spoilers hidden of course, but can I just say, this game is HARD compared to BOTW, at least in the initial stages. I’ve only just moved past the first area last night, but dang man.

Can you list what these were? Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the game contains 100% of all my complaints from the original.

- shrines are now actually interesting and inventive (I actually had to try a lot - even in earlier ones)
- traversal feels much better thanks to new abilities
- the world is much more packed (there are way less empty fields so far)
- the abilities feel much more diverse to use (Botw had good abilities but later shrines showed how limited they were)
- there are dungeons now
- there is more emphasis on some kind of story and there's actual lore to read/discover
- the game is HARDER (in a fair but challenging sort of way - I'd say hardest Zelda game by far ... not just combat but puzzles as well)
- finally some enemy variety
Post automatically merged:

I’m going to make a longer post later, with spoilers hidden of course, but can I just say, this game is HARD compared to BOTW, at least in the initial stages. I’ve only just moved past the first area last night, but dang man.

Yeah man, I was also really surprised. I expected them to go really hand-holding-mode (especially during the tutorial area) because that's what Nintendo loves to do.
EHM NOPE :-D They basically expect that you've played the first game. If I hadn't played Botw, I'd have struggled hard (especially with the controls - turning stuff over on three dimensional axis is crazy complicated at first).

This game really does make Pokémon look like a joke

Uhm Pokemon IS a joke (fors 2 generations now at least).
Compared to Zelda Totk, the new Pokemon shouldn't even qualify as a "product".

Minor details that I love so far:
  • Link humming songs while cooking
  • The Lily pads in the water; what a beautiful addition
  • The abundance of arrows and the incredibly useful new fusion system that makes use of them (I’m a long range wimpy fighter, so this suits my combat style) - I will smash every crate ever

Minor details that I love so far:
  • Link humming songs while cooking
  • The Lily pads in the water; what a beautiful addition
  • The abundance of arrows and the incredibly useful new fusion system that makes use of them (I’m a long range wimpy fighter, so this suits my combat style) - I will smash every crate ever

I second that ... but Link always hummed melodies while cooking, no?!

I've read reviews that say this game has performance issues, can anyone tell me when they happen and how bad they actually are?

Well I’d like to think I’m doing pretty good so far - I’ve closed out 6 towers and 16 shrines. I’m staying on and thus far, but plan to explore areas other than land today or tomorrow. I‘m also just kind of letting exploration take me where it wants to take me.

I've read reviews that say this game has performance issues, can anyone tell me when they happen and how bad they actually are?
I’ve not ran into any performance issues at all. Don’t know if playing on OLED changes that, but yeah.

I've had 0 performance issues so far and I'm playing on a switch that I got 5 years ago

I second that ... but Link always hummed melodies while cooking, no?!
Oh! Maybe I don't recall them being as specific; I can clearly make out Zelda's theme, Epona's theme, and something else familiar this time.

I also have the OG switch and my only complaint is the load times. I haven't had any graphical issues or combat delays that I know of. Everything is pretty bright, though, so I had to adjust my TV settings for cinematic gameplay.

Well I’d like to think I’m doing pretty good so far - I’ve closed out 6 towers and 16 shrines. I’m staying on and thus far, but plan to explore areas other than land today or tomorrow. I‘m also just kind of letting exploration take me where it wants to take me.

I’ve not ran into any performance issues at all. Don’t know if playing on OLED changes that, but yeah.
WOW! You've made incredible progress in my book; I asked for time to myself to play on Mother's day and I am enjoying the lore. I spent quite a while on some minigames, and have been buying / questing for Link's new outfits. I also like taking this zen approach and going off the path at times. I have 2 towers and 7 shrines done.
There are so many surprises out there now, I think I will post later about things that made me jump or scream in this game... lol

I’m also very thankful for the automatic save states, which have saved me a lot of backtracking and climbing.

Last edited:

The game supposedly had some performance issues before the day one update (1.1.0).
I never played without it on my Switch that is 4 years old (so no OLED, later model or anything) and the game runs (I'd say) better than the original (especially considering how much more is going on). I had 1 noticeable studder the entire time I've been playing + my load times are actually pretty amazing.

The game supposedly had some performance issues before the day one update (1.1.0).
I never played without it on my Switch that is 4 years old (so no OLED, later model or anything) and the game runs (I'd say) better than the original (especially considering how much more is going on). I had 1 noticeable studder the entire time I've been playing + my load times are actually pretty amazing.
Oh! You know what, that's probably what I read. Glad to hear they patched that issue!

It seems locked at 30FPS max, in today's world where 60FPS became the industry standard for console games 10+ years ago. But also, just like BOTW, the game fails to stay at 30FPS. It's constantly dropping to 20 or less when doing anything with objects or getting near grass and trees.

It's painful to watch, but the game is still playable. I would really love to see a rerelease in the future when we ever get a new Nintendo console.

I definitely wouldn't call it perfectly smooth either. Like pointed out above, 30FPS is not much, and I have had frames drop in several places (particularly the ones with lots of objects and characters). I'm a bit surprised at how well the game performs those physics, but yeah, like botw it is definitely pushing the limits of the switch. My loads have been pretty tolerable at least! (physical game, launch day switch not that newer ones perform any better)

I would just compare it to ACNH. Performs just fine, until too many things enter the screen and then it just chokes, haha. A very playable game, though! Although if we could get a re-release with stronger performance... yes please

I can’t imagine the performance issues on the Switch Lite, lol. My dad plans on getting this game eventually.

The most I've come across is the game slowing down a bit at times and needs to catch up, but so far there has not been anythin major like crashes or freezing, I'm playing on the TOTK OLED.

I got slow downs while playing BOTW mostly in two set spots on my NH Switch. Playing TOTK its expected (atleast I expected it) since I got it with BOTW.

Back