• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Least Favorite Movie Trope/Cliches?

-This one's been mentioned already, but the "it was all a dream" twist and its edgier cousin, "it was all a coma dream" are both massive pet-peeves of mine. It's extremely difficult to pull off well, and 99% of the time just comes across as incredibly lazy and unimaginative writing.

-Whenever fiction has an "escapism is bad and you should feel bad" moral. It feels hypocritical, almost always ignores healthy escapism, and just makes me want to go, "okay, if this was such a waste of my time, can I have my money back?"

-Scenes that only exist for shock value and don't add anything to the story.

-The scheming mean girl character who often crops up in shojo manga or teen romance media. They're usually not terribly interesting as characters, and oftentimes make the other characters seem unlikeable depending on how the story's handled. Gotta love when the main character's alleged "friends" instantly abandon her when the mean girl frames her for something, especially when they should already know the mean girl isn't trustworthy! /s And then you're expected to forgive them later.

-Another romance trope I hate is when two characters argue constantly and have nothing in common, yet they wind up together for some reason?? It's not a good foundation for a relationship and it's just irritating to watch.

-I'm not much into horror movies, but there's an annoying trend I've seen with a few—the main characters do everything correctly to make the monster go away, but in an after-credits scene, it's revealed that it didn't work... with no explanation or foreshadowing whatsoever. It's painfully obvious that it's only to fuel sequels. Can be extended to any example of "villain returns after being defeated with zero explanation", really.

I hate when the main male character and main female character get together by default, despite having little chemistry and not having nearly enough build-up to the confession.

Fat characters as comic relief. Obviously, it's okay if a fat character is funny, but I don't want to see their weight constantly be the butt of the joke. Gay and gender nonconforming characters are often relegated to this role too.

The "cool girl" trope where a female character loves football and pizza and drinking/joking with the guys, but she's also conventionally attractive all the time, appears conventionally feminine. I hate this especially if she puts down other women.

Male characters spying on their female love interests changing or bathing or otherwise stalking her as romance and this behavior not being called out, just seen as a harmless crush.

I hate that in almost all horror movies one female character will fall while running from the killer. Don't guys ever trip?

Totally gorgeous girl ALWAYS sees chubby guy's "inner beauty" and falls for him. On the flip side, totally gorgeous guy NEVER sees chubby girl's "inner beauty". (Also happens with nerdy or shy people.)

Villian had terrible childhood so them being a villian is acceptable. In real life countless people have terrible childhoods and don't grow up to be murderers, mad scientists or crime bosses. Many actually strive to NOT turn into monsters.

Brunette characters are "too smart" and therefore boring. Blondes are always "dumb" and therefore are just annoying. Red headed characters are always "fiery/angry" and therefore too much for other characters. Hair color does not indicate intelligence or personality traits.

Female characters with enormous breasts but super small waists (anime or cartoons) are living every day lives. The weight of the breasts would cause severe back pain and damage. These characters would not be able to stand up straight without struggling.

I'm sure there's more I've disliked but these are the ones I see most that botther me.

- I'm not a fan of the enemies-to-lovers trope when it's in non-fantasy settings. The non-fantasy ones are usually always a misunderstanding or one of them already loved the other.

- I don't know what this one is called but, the father and adopted daughter one. Some (usually) lonely young adult guy takes in a preschool-aged girl and treats her like his daughter. We watched them bond throughout the story, but then the girl (usually a high schooler now) all of suddenly develops feelings for her father or he does first. They might go through some drama, confess and have babies ever after. Ugh! This is so disgusting!

- I don't know the name of this one, but when characters like/madly in love with someone for no reason Can't wait to stomp on my own character's heart MwaHAHAHA or the love interest can't stand their guts until they do great things. "Save the world? So hot"

- Romances that come out of nowhere and I mean nowhere.

Last edited:
Y'all have covered quite a bit so I won't be too repetitious.

I really hate forced stupidity in order to move the plot. Like the characters are forced to do stupid things by the writers in order to make the plot move the direction the writers want.

figure out a better way to get them from point a to b

The need to put romance in every movie, I'm not sure how you call that character but, for instance, in action movies, they send a female character that her only purpose is to be seduced by the main character. Often she's not even interested by the guy but still falls for him somehow and their story don't add anything interesting to the plot.

The Princess Peach. The female character that can't fight, have no plan or weapon but still run right into the trap knowing it's a trap and then wait for some hero to save her. Often they present her like some brave or bad-ass girl, someone smart, stubborn and fearless but that has so poor judgment when it comes to dangerous situations. She's just getting into troubles and constantly needs help.

Other characters that have poor jugement in dangerous situations. Example: a cop that decides to chase some villains alone, without calling his partner or asking for help, or saying where he's going, then ended up being caught and tortured by the said villains.

The ex-significant other coming back after "years" to butt in the new character's relationship.

Oh and I forgot: Truck-kun

The Princess Peach. The female character that can't fight, have no plan or weapon but still run right into the trap knowing it's a trap and then wait for some hero to save her. Often they present her like some brave or bad-ass girl, someone smart, stubborn and fearless but that has so poor judgment when it comes to dangerous situations. She's just getting into troubles and constantly needs help.

Ewwwww this makes me roll my eyes. It's the reason I can't get into Toilet Bound Hanako. Nene is literally this character.
Hiyori from Noragami is like this too. The writer pretends she's helpful but in reality, is not.

This is even worse when their helplessness is deemed quirky or cute.

A.I turns evil and tries to destroy the world, It's boring, happens all the time, hate it

ironically named bc Peach in the Super Mario Bros Movie is actually a strong character who plays a prominent protagonist/hero role in the movie.

idk if this is considered a trope or not, but the recent animated movies (especially from Disney and Pixar) that don't have actually threatening and scary villains. I miss seeing villains who pose a legitimate threat to the protagonist(s) and have the potential to cause a lot of harm and disaster. often they make stories and the protagonist's vistory much more satisfying. that's not to say that every animated movie needs a villain like that, some of them do well without it. but a movie like Strange Worlds could have benefited greatly from an established and threatening villain.

the Wolf from Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is a good example of a villain who poses a real threat. then I think of like the twist villain from Zootopia, that was so weak.

The first season of Korra was absolutely ruined because of a love triangle. And just the romance in general. Oh there's this non-bender revolution happening with extremists who are tired of being suppressed by benders? And their main leader is a legitimate threat to benders?

Nah let's just focus on these stupid hormonal teenagers instead.

Just romance in general a lot of times. I don't know. A lot of entertainment just feels like they shove it in just because it's so 'status quo' now. I always thought the first Hotel Transylvania could've been better with a plot about the actual monster hotel and maybe build on that.

ironically named bc Peach in the Super Mario Bros Movie is actually a strong character who plays a prominent protagonist/hero role in the movie.

idk if this is considered a trope or not, but the recent animated movies (especially from Disney and Pixar) that don't have actually threatening and scary villains. I miss seeing villains who pose a legitimate threat to the protagonist(s) and have the potential to cause a lot of harm and disaster. often they make stories and the protagonist's vistory much more satisfying. that's not to say that every animated movie needs a villain like that, some of them do well without it. but a movie like Strange Worlds could have benefited greatly from an established and threatening villain.

the Wolf from Puss in Boots: The Last Wish is a good example of a villain who poses a real threat. then I think of like the twist villain from Zootopia, that was so weak.

The first season of Korra was absolutely ruined because of a love triangle. And just the romance in general. Oh there's this non-bender revolution happening with extremists who are tired of being suppressed by benders? And their main leader is a legitimate threat to benders?

Nah let's just focus on these stupid hormonal teenagers instead.

Just romance in general a lot of times. I don't know. A lot of entertainment just feels like they shove it in just because it's so 'status quo' now. I always thought the first Hotel Transylvania could've been better with a plot about the actual monster hotel and maybe build on that.

These are top tier movie/series tropes/cliches for me as well.

On the first one, I have to agree that Puss in Boots: The Last Wish did it really well. The villain was one that the character could not overcome if he did not change, and one that can kind of be related to in some ways.

On the second one, Korra suffered SO MUCH from the dumb love triangle. I really, really don't understand why it was even included. I'm so sick and tired of romance being forced into movies, TV shows, books, etc. It's just annoying and there's no need for it. I kind of give it a pass if the feelings are shown to be developed over time, but even then it's like, did you really have to include this? Lmao.

I haven't seen the movie, I just remember having to save Peach countless of times in a game lol

Lots of good ones mentioned but idk if anyone said love potions/spells
Connotations aside - a BIG aside - it SUCKS when the romance isn't actually genuine

Or if it wears off but all is forgiven or the one under control was actually in love the whole time !!! Very dumb just build normal relationships you nerd

On the second one, Korra suffered SO MUCH from the dumb love triangle. I really, really don't understand why it was even included. I'm so sick and tired of romance being forced into movies, TV shows, books, etc. It's just annoying and there's no need for it. I kind of give it a pass if the feelings are shown to be developed over time, but even then it's like, did you really have to include this? Lmao.
Which is insane because after it flopped and did so poorly in season 1, surely it would work in season 2 lol.

Back