New Leaf Token
Sweet Balloon
Blue Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Red Envelope
Fortune Cookie
Lost Star Fragment 004.MB
Blue Star Fragment
So I know last night people were pointing out that the video said "last major free content update" so we might get more paid DLC in the future. However, I just watched the Japanese version and in it the blue bubble just says "last contest update." No major. No free.

While the yellow banner does say free I don't think it relates to what the blue bubble is saying. Perhaps the NA version wanted to separate this from HHP, since after that the video continues into more content.

This could mean that this is really it for new content to the game. Thoughts?

1634349860348.png
1634349873568.png

Last edited:
It's mentioned in another thread, but some gaming site (sorry, didn't hear which) asked Nintendo about the paid DLC. It sounds like the Happy Home Paradise DLC will also be the only paid DLC.

So honestly I would just expect bug fixes and holiday updates after November 5th. We might get other small things, but don't expect it to be anything major.

What would've solidified the fact that this was a conclusive end to any and all updates besides bug patches would've been if they would've unlocked ALL holidays, for ALL future years in one swoop.

In my view, this would've signify they were finished messing with the game on a regular or periodic basis. I always figured that once they did that, it'd be the end of all updates. It wouldn't matter that people were timeskipping if all the upcoming holidays contained the same stuff as before, after all, right?

But they didn't do this -- or at least they didn't signal that they were going to. And the word "major" seems to be trying to imply there will still be "minor" ones -- however, who the heck knows what Nintendo considers 'major' and 'minor' lol.

What would've solidified the fact that this was a conclusive end to any and all updates besides bug patches would've been if they would've unlocked ALL holidays, for ALL future years in one swoop.

In my view, this would've signify they were finished messing with the game on a regular or periodic basis. I always figured that once they did that, it'd be the end of all updates. It wouldn't matter that people were timeskipping if all the upcoming holidays contained the same stuff as before, after all, right?

But they didn't do this -- or at least they didn't signal that they were going to. And the word "major" seems to be trying to imply there will still be "minor" ones -- however, who the heck knows what Nintendo considers 'major' and 'minor' lol.

That's an interesting point. What if they do put all of the holiday stuff in with this update? Nintendo never announces literally everything that's in these updates in advance. There's always some things we don't learn until the update comes out. They could even implement it the way they currently do with many holidays - put things into the game but make it time locked so no one can TT to that date to get it early.

But in the Japanese one it doesn't say "major," just "last content update." Period. I also thought about holiday item updates, but it's weird that the Japanese it so definitive.

Last edited:
The version has 3 numbers

xx.yy.zz

xx being a major release (eg v1.0 vs v2.0)
yy = minor update (eg v1.10 vs v1.11)
zz = patch (1.11.0 vs 1.11.1)

Basically, Nintendo is saying there will never be a v3.0, so don't wait up.

@DJStarstryker The only way to be certain is if we were to TT to Toy Day or any of the holidays in 2022. But if Toy Day isn't there then the others probably won't be either. And if they do it the way you suggest, how would it work when they stop services. It'd just go back to being day 1 content.

I don't get why they would be so adamant about those who want to just TT if there is nothing new to discover anymore.

I beleive the article was on ign. I didn't read it but it was reported that nintendo said no future paid dlc. I have long thought the holidays should be unlocked(i mean why arent they?) at this point i am thinking after the end of the year they will be. seriously why keep them locked any longer?

I theorize that they used the word "major" so that no one could call them liars if they released some small patch to fix a glitch or something.
I kind of feel like this.

I guess they trust the Japanese audience enough to just leave it as just "last content update" lol. (which makes it sound like only patches will come)

I beleive the article was on ign. I didn't read it but it was reported that nintendo said no future paid dlc. I have long thought the holidays should be unlocked(i mean why arent they?) at this point i am thinking after the end of the year they will be. seriously why keep them locked any longer?

Maybe they will stop locking the holidays when they stop making changes to the holidays and adding new items. If the holidays start being the same every year, like they were in previous games, then there would be no reason to lock it.

Maybe they will stop locking the holidays when they stop making changes to the holidays and adding new items. If the holidays start being the same every year, like they were in previous games, then there would be no reason to lock it.
the only differences i've seen from last years holidays to this years is a few added items(possible i forgot something). i cant imagine why the holidays need to be locked for that

the only differences i've seen from last years holidays to this years is a few added items(possible i forgot something). i cant imagine why the holidays need to be locked for that
Was about to say that. They could always just throw a quick day patch and people would just TT back to that holiday to get the extra items if they want them.

But in the Japanese one it doesn't say "major," just "last content update." Period. I also thought about holiday item updates, but it's weird that the Japanese it so definitive.

That is weird!

Are you reading the Japanese ones/do you understand the language? If so, do you know if the Japanese ACNH fanbase has been critiquing the game the same way that the American/European fanbase has? Maybe they are more lax with their terminology with the Japanese fanbase because their behavior regarding the game has been less critical? I'm interested to see the differentiation between different languages now. I'm going to go back and watch the Russian direct to see if it says something different just out of curiosity to see if it also includes the word "major" or if it doesn't.

That is weird!

Are you reading the Japanese ones/do you understand the language? If so, do you know if the Japanese ACNH fanbase has been critiquing the game the same way that the American/European fanbase has?

Yes, I do! That's a good point, I was watching/reading Japanese reactions to the Direct and I did hear people saying, "Nintendo listened to what we wanted!' like fans in English were saying and having similar reactions t what was added, minus stuff like froggy chair that weren't a "thing" for them. I haven't seen as much negativity around updates on places like Twitter but that's partially because recently I've been spending more time in the English fandom. So, it's possible that it has been there and I've missed it. Gotta start paying more attention lol

Yes! I want to see now how other languages handled it.

The version has 3 numbers

xx.yy.zz

xx being a major release (eg v1.0 vs v2.0)
yy = minor update (eg v1.10 vs v1.11)
zz = patch (1.11.0 vs 1.11.1)

Basically, Nintendo is saying there will never be a v3.0, so don't wait up.

This is what I was thinking too. I think we might still get minor updates, like patches that bring in a small amount of items and whatnot.

Update =/= DLC imo

I'm not saying we are getting more DLC, but final free or just final update could mean they will focus on paid content in the future, which after pocket camp I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe new NPC characters or furnishing sets/clothes

What I'm really curious about is how DLC owners and players without it will co exist. Can I gift them DLC items for example?

Yes, I do! That's a good point, I was watching/reading Japanese reactions to the Direct and I did hear people saying, "Nintendo listened to what we wanted!' like fans in English were saying and having similar reactions t what was added, minus stuff like froggy chair that weren't a "thing" for them. I haven't seen as much negativity around updates on places like Twitter but that's partially because recently I've been spending more time in the English fandom. So, it's possible that it has been there and I've missed it. Gotta start paying more attention lol

Yes! I want to see now how other languages handled it.

Ooh see I've always wondered about that! That's interesting! So they were at least requesting these features as well, regardless of whether or not the tone of the request/critique was the same.

I did go pop back and view the Russian one. Since Russian seems to be forgotten by Nintendo often they don't have a Russian narrator haha. But they do have Russian text. On the part where the little blurb comes up about it being the last major update, it said this:
"последнее бесплатное крупное обновление контента"
Крупное means "large", "major", "significant". It's a pretty clear cut translation from "major", so the Russian version at least seems to use the same terminology/implications that the English one did. I have no idea about other languages. However, even if most if not all other translations said the same, I would hesitate to call the Japanese version an anomaly since Nintendo is obviously based in Japan. So you'd think that the Japanese translation of this would be the most accurate and carry more weight than others. But it's interesting that the Russian includes "major" as well, I'm interested to know if others are the same, though I don't speak any other languages (that would have translations) haha.

I'm guessing that's why they specified "major" update. Holiday updates, where they only unlock the holiday, patch a bug or two that may crop up, and maybe add a new item or two seem minor and very possible to me.

Anyway, I'm a bit bummed it's the last (especially since it sounds like we're not getting any more DLC). BUT I'm still happy with what we've got! Almost all of the things I wanted are being added so I'm super happy overall. Also, it's worth remembering they specifically said there were things not shown. Now, are those things just furniture items (as in "we've added a bunch of sets, we couldn't show everything)? Or are they slipping in something like shop upgrades? At this point, there's no way to tell, but I'd say there's still hope for some stuff.
Post automatically merged:

Update =/= DLC imo

I'm not saying we are getting more DLC, but final free or just final update could mean they will focus on paid content in the future, which after pocket camp I wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe new NPC characters or furnishing sets/clothes

What I'm really curious about is how DLC owners and players without it will co exist. Can I gift them DLC items for example?
Dunno about the latter question, but it seems Nintendo confirmed (as in someone linked, but I didn't read it) that there will be no more DLC.

Back