• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Kingdom Hearts Hype

itangerine

mocha ✧ she/they
Bells
I've noticed there's not many kh threads here so let's change that.

the Re:Mind DLC for KHIII came out and nomura has currently hired 3 teams to work on different kingdom hearts titles: one being Dark Road.
I love this franchise so much, it makes me go hysterical with each little thing that comes out and I just want to find more peeps that enjoy it just as much as I do.
what are your thoughts on the current progression of the story and what are you most excited for? do you play the mobile game and have been keeping up with the story updates? I want to know everyone's thoughts...

If you haven't played all of the games or have not been keeping up with lore you might want to skip this thread for possible spoilers ahead.

I've only ever played KH 1, 2, and Re:Chain. To be honest, I think the story is a super convoluted mess but I love it all the same and watching playthrough of KH 3 was just as confusing as it was enjoyable!!

I think the ending of KH 3 with Xigbar being Luxu was really cool but then I had to do a bunch of research to realize what that even meant storywise LOL.

I've only ever played KH 1, 2, and Re:Chain. To be honest, I think the story is a super convoluted mess but I love it all the same and watching playthrough of KH 3 was just as confusing as it was enjoyable!!

I think the ending of KH 3 with Xigbar being Luxu was really cool but then I had to do a bunch of research to realize what that even meant storywise LOL.
kh really be that kind of game, I feel like even when i played/watched everything I still get confused by the storyline, but I think it's also what makes it so fun... like you just want to know how far this thing will go.

and absolutely that ending was the best part of the whole game for me!!

I've sort of fallen out of the KH fandom over the years, but I have fond memories of playing KH2 (imo the best one). Haven't played 3 myself yet, but watched plenty of streamers play it. I don't think I have any interest in it anymore, even though it's an RPG...and I love RPGs.

I've sort of fallen out of the KH fandom over the years, but I have fond memories of playing KH2 (imo the best one). Haven't played 3 myself yet, but watched plenty of streamers play it. I don't think I have any interest in it anymore, even though it's an RPG...and I love RPGs.
fair enough. I actually completely forgot about the game more or less around 2014 ish and only came back to it 2 years ago to catch up, luckily KHIII didn't take too long after that.
hope you try it again sometime and also get to see the spinoffs if you haven't already, but if you end up not getting so into it that's ok too.
kh2 is probably the best one in the franchise

three was pretty half-baked; i'd rather play birth by sleep over it. here is to hoping remind is a sign we're moving on to definitelynot! ff versus. they have enough lore to drop so much unnecessary disney bait that adds nothing to the game.

I loved KH1 and 2 when they were new. I played both of those a ton, and considered them to be two of my top games. That said...the convoluted manner of storytelling through all the spin-offs (and the underwhelming nature of KH3 itself) have soured me a bit on the franchise. I guess KH3 was never going to match the expectations that had been set for it over 14 years of waiting. But, I do feel like they could have done a lot better with the Disney properties at their disposal.

I get why stuff like Frozen, and Tangled, and Big Hero 6 are in there. But I don't really consider those to be worlds that I would want to visit. Those environments are all kinda "generic" fairytale/city. And they might have been less underwhelming if they were part of a larger set of worlds...but, the number of worlds seemed lacking to begin with. I did really enjoy the Toy Story arc...but that was about it. The PotC stuff was kinda fun too, just on account of being so "human" and so far removed from what we are used to in KH lore.

With obvious development limitations in consideration...it's a shame that KH3 couldn't have released with worlds like Moana, Coco, Marvel/X-Men, The Simpsons, etc. If we had got a "post-Disney-buying-everything" version of KH3, we might have seen some drastically more interesting content. That said, I still think there was untapped potential in the Disney classics bank for better worlds than the ones we got. I would have gladly taken a Lilo & Stitch world, or A Bug's Life...James and the Giant Peach, Finding Nemo, etc. In the end, it kinda felt like Frozen and Tangled were jammed in there to appeal to a modern audience, but the end result felt largely unfinished.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is all my time favorite all of time. I loved the Drive Forums and the Gameplay is so great! Also the soundtrack is so great! I love the characters. Sora and Roxas are my favorites and I like the villains in this game. The story yeaaahhh.... its very complicated to understand, if you ask any KH fan they would feel the same way too. Whenever I feel sad or depressed I always turn to the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack its so good! :D

Kingdom Hearts 2 is all my time favorite all of time. I loved the Drive Forums and the Gameplay is so great! Also the soundtrack is so great! I love the characters. Sora and Roxas are my favorites and I like the villains in this game. The story yeaaahhh.... its very complicated to understand, if you ask any KH fan they would feel the same way too. Whenever I feel sad or depressed I always turn to the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack its so good! :D

I was an kid around the first year KH1 released, I had Simple and Clean rip on an burned CD and had an CD player to listen to that song all day lol

I love Kingdom Hearts, but Kingdom Hearts 2 is the best KH game in my humble opinion. It got everything right!

I did enjoy KH3, but the only level I really enjoyed 100% was Toy Story. The instagram-style loading screens REALLY took me out of the game, and to some degree, so did the phone. I would have preferred a more whimsical solution to communication, even if it wound up being some futuristic device.

Also, I remember a time when there was a lot of hate for Chain of Memories and I don't know why? I LOVED it!

Kingdom Hearts is a franchise that I really want to get into but the games being scattered across various consoles makes that tricky for me. The only one I've played is the 3DS Dream Drop Distance which I know isn't the strongest in the franchise and while I was definitely lost story-wise I still thought it was cute to play through. I definitely want to play more of the main games because I am a sucker for Disney (and I feel like Dream Drop Distance wasn't very Disney heavy since we had those little dream eater things as our fighting companions) I just don't have a console that the games are on yet. I was hoping we'd get a Switch remaster of the main ones and then I could play them that way but I don't think that'll be the case, which is a bummer as that's really my only console. 😔 Maybe one day I'll get an older Playstation and be able to play them on there!

Kingdom Hearts is a franchise that I really want to get into but the games being scattered across various consoles makes that tricky for me. The only one I've played is the 3DS Dream Drop Distance which I know isn't the strongest in the franchise and while I was definitely lost story-wise I still thought it was cute to play through. I definitely want to play more of the main games because I am a sucker for Disney (and I feel like Dream Drop Distance wasn't very Disney heavy since we had those little dream eater things as our fighting companions) I just don't have a console that the games are on yet. I was hoping we'd get a Switch remaster of the main ones and then I could play them that way but I don't think that'll be the case, which is a bummer as that's really my only console. 😔 Maybe one day I'll get an older Playstation and be able to play them on there!

Yeah, its an bummer you'll have to pick up an ps4/PC to play all games easily today. I've never played them all only 1,2,3, birth by sleep and drop dream. Luckily YouTube had me covered before playing part 3 lol. I still don't understand the whole lore and this coming from an fan since the 1st year of the serious :p

I've also heard Melody of Memories is actually an fun game to pick up, that's also on Switch at least....

Yeah, its an bummer you'll have to pick up an ps4/PC to play all games easily today. I've never played them all only 1,2,3, birth by sleep and drop dream. Luckily YouTube had me covered before playing part 3 lol. I still don't understand the whole lore and this coming from an fan for since the 1st year of the serious :p

I've also heard Melody of Memories is actually an fun game to pick up, that's also on Switch at least....

I'm so sad Melody of Memories is all we have for the Switch because I'm absolutely awful at rhythm games 😂 I was hoping we'd get either a remake of previous ones or a proper title for the Switch! I wouldn't have understood the story much but I probably would've bought it anyways depending on the worlds covered because I just like running around in Disney themed levels and getting to interact with Disney characters lol

I'm so sad Melody of Memories is all we have for the Switch because I'm absolutely awful at rhythm games 😂 I was hoping we'd get either a remake of previous ones or a proper title for the Switch! I wouldn't have understood the story much but I probably would've bought it anyways depending on the worlds covered because I just like running around in Disney themed levels and getting to interact with Disney characters lol
Yeah the only time you can get all access to the Kingdom Hearts games is if you get the HD PS4 Collection that has all of them. However there is a problem. 358/2 Days and Re:Coded only have HD cutscenes but no actual gameplay. So I guess if you wanted to learn more about the story then there's that (but again its confusing lol) but again the rest of the KH games do have gameplay.

Also there is another one called Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Dream Drop Distance (they are weird with their titles), but yeah I would not bother with that one, but again it has elements that are important so again there's that. Truth be told I would love every single KH game on the Switch. That would make me happy.

Only ever watched my friend play the OG Kingdom Heats back in the day. We were amazed and could not stop playing. Made some really nice sleepovers and memories. As a Disney fan it really is an awesome game. But over the years the game went so much beyond the "some friends fight in disney worlds and help beloved disney characters" and I just... could not keept up.

Would need some kind of "explain like I'm five" for the story and all the lore to get back into the franchise but it feels kind of overwhelming... so I just look at screenshots and other player's let's plays. Too overwhelming otherwise^^

Only ever watched my friend play the OG Kingdom Heats back in the day. We were amazed and could not stop playing. Made some really nice sleepovers and memories. As a Disney fan it really is an awesome game. But over the years the game went so much beyond the "some friends fight in disney worlds and help beloved disney characters" and I just... could not keept up.

Would need some kind of "explain like I'm five" for the story and all the lore to get back into the franchise but it feels kind of overwhelming... so I just look at screenshots and other player's let's plays :eek:
Believe me the story even as a KH fan myself is pretty complicated. Also they talk so much about "Light" and "Darkness" that its like shocking how many times it was mentioned. So yeah I mean I personally have a hard time understanding the story even though I played most of the KH games I still try to remember whats even going on, but in terms of gameplay if you don't take the story too seriously its a lot of fun for a Action RPG game.

Believe me the story even as a KH fan myself is pretty complicated. Also they talk so much about "Light" and "Darkness" that its like shocking how many times it was mentioned. So yeah I mean I personally have a hard time understanding the story even though I played most of the KH games I still try to remember whats even going on, but in terms of gameplay if you don't take the story too seriously its a lot of fun for a Action RPG game.

So even seasoned players get confused? There's really more than meets the eye in the KH-verse!
Though as long as the gameplay is fun and the story can be at least followed all's good

Back