• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

If you demolished a PWP overnight. . . .

Ras

Bells
Winter Mittens
Is that area completely open right at 6am? I destroyed a windmill to try to get Erik's house around where it was, but the game just will not put anything there. I only started to wonder if the game still sees that as a deadzone because I planted a tree right next to a PWP that was going to be demolished and in the morning, the PWP was gone and the tree was dying. I planted another one, and it survived the next day.

This is verified. I went to have Nook build my house at the site of my demolished windmill (just a 2x2 dirt patch) and he said, "We'd have to demolish an existing public works project, but if that's alright. . . ." So, if you destroy something overnight, the game won't put a villager's house there. :(

On the plus side, knowing that, I was able to destroy a PWP I didn't want and now I can destroy another the proper way (or start a new project). But now I wish I had taken out my zen bell and tire toy all at once.

Last edited:
That's really interesting, pretty odd but thanks for posting this, I had no idea :eek:

So if I understand right you can't place anything there like houses or trees until you load up an existing character?

Last edited:
That's really interesting, pretty odd but thanks for posting this, I had no idea :eek:

So if I understand right you can't place anything there like houses or trees until you load up an existing character?

I think what Ras means is that it takes 2 days for the game to recognise that a demolished PWP is gone:

Day 1: request for demolition
Day 2: project demolished (but game mechanics behave like it's still there)
Day 3: you are now able to re-build over or close to the plot.

I think that's what he meant?

I think what Ras means is that it takes 2 days for the game to recognise that a demolished PWP is gone:

Day 1: request for demolition
Day 2: project demolished (but game mechanics behave like it's still there)
Day 3: you are now able to re-build over or close to the plot.

I think that's what he meant?

I was thinking that, but I believe that you can place a new PWP over where the old one was during Day 2, so I assumed that maybe it was that the game wouldn't register the PWP as gone until you loaded an existing character. (Since new characters are kinda like ghost characters until youve saved them with isabelle, the town didn't really load/recognize yet that the pwp is gone since your character hasn't been loaded/saved if you know what I mean, similar to what happens with plot resetting)

But I actually don't know if you can place the PWP on the spot or not during day 2, I'm pretty sure you can but I can't remember trying it.
hopefully my post makes sense i really should be sleeping

There was a perfect spot for a lighthouse in my town, but a villager had their house there, plus I hadn't unlocked the lighthouse yet. When the villager finally moved out, I put a fire hydrant there to save the spot. When a villager finally asked for a lighthouse, the mayor had the fire hydrant destroyed and then the next day requested the lighthouse to be built in the same spot. No problems.
I don't know what starting the game up with a brand-new character does, I have 4 characters in my town and will not be getting rid of any of them. Also, I don't know about a new villager moving in that day either.

I'm pretty sure the spot of the demolished PWP is usable for most purposes right at 6am. I think if I had dropped a shovel the night before, my character could have planted a tree there. But, for whatever reason, it just won't put a villager's plot down there. And, like I said, Nook thought the PWP was still there. Very strange, but hopefully it'll help someone in the future. I would have had the windmill marked for demolition the day Erik was still in the igloo if I had known about this, but I waited until the day between his camping and his arrival. Because of that dead tree, I had it in the back of my mind that it could be a problem. With the windmill gone, it was a huge open space, but the game just refused to put a plot anywhere in the area.

Back