I honestly don't think this game feels empty due to the cut content...

There is certainly still much left to be desired, but personally, I don’t find the game to be empty. I agree that it would be nice to have better/more dialogue and different interactions and activities to do with our villagers, but honestly, there are other things I’d like to see improved or added first. My issue is the lack of furniture, inability to rotate custom rugs outside (or have rugs outside at all), lack of lock dropped item option to prevent stealing, inability to hang up other people’s designs in Able’s or designs I made from HHD or NL and the fact that qr designs are locked being subscription (I have one thanks to a gift card, but I won’t always be able to have one since difficulty finding a job).. Even with this, I am still making do with what we have as best as I can and am enjoying the game tremendously still. Of course, I haven’t been playing the game as long as everyone else since I got my copy at the end of May.

I agree that the villager interactions leave a lot to be desired. They just feel so flanderized compared to older games (and from what I've gathered, villager interactions have been getting progressively worse and worse since ACGC, to the point where people were shocked they somehow managed to be worse in NH than they were in NL) It would be nice to have the option where you can directly ask for a job back, although I'd want to see it re-worked so the stuff they ask for doesn't end up scattered around their homes.

I wouldn't mind the cut content so much if the animal residents actually had something to say. The fact that they cut certain things and the villagers content (dialogue, requests, mini-games) is what bothered me the most. I know a lot of stuff may come back with updates, but the way villagers are right now is probably set in stone. And that kind of bums me out.

Man I have nothing I'm even interested in achieving in wild world and yet it's keeping me busy. My villagers all have rumours about each other (actual ones not the randomly generated ones from New Leaf that just had a different villager substituted the whole time), Tabby has gone crazy over grey furniture, Elmer wants fossils and more fossils.

I miss this sooo much about WW! there’s a lot of gameplay elements theyve fixed up, but I miss how absolutely wacky everyone was! I was obsessed with the rumor mill, highlight of my day haha

The game has a lot of content, but I see what you mean. I wish there were more villager requests to deal with, because then I would have more goals and actual things to do! Running errands is just so much fun.

If they took all the dialogue from the gamecube version of AC and glued it into NH then I would be happy lol. My sweet Dotty says the same thing everyday :confused: I want her and my other villagers to have a bit of range so I definitely see what you're saying. I could wait for new items & activities if some new villager dialogue or interactions were added instead.

I don't hate the dialogue in NH, per se... it's honestly an improvement over NL's, even if it does have the same problem of repeatedly saying the same kind of things about what you've done over the past few days most of the time with the occasional bit of "wow, that's really funny or really poetic".

It honestly needs work: there's bits where they talk about the HHA that're dying to have them talk about their actual score like WW did... as that, like a load of other things, feels underwritten at this point in time.

The problem actually lies in the fact that animals don't really give me much to do... I'm extremely lucky to get two things to do that day, so getting one's something of a rare occurrence. I don't just wanna do the tasks they ask me to do for them more regularly (admittedly, I should probably talk to them multiple times more)... I wanna return their Switch consoles, compete with them, play hide and seek and have them visit my home!

(tbf, a lot of this lies in the fact lgttc kinda screwed up the franchise a bit in regards to getting rid of a lot of ww's actual good things, but this is one thing that didn't return in nl)

I'm not really a guy who thinks AC should just be about either communicating with villagers or having your own village that you can decorate or populate in whatever way you want; ultimately both are important to me. I think there's gotta be a good blend between the two, because ultimately that's more important than HEY 6 MILLION DIFFERENT BUILDINGS THAT DO VERY MINOR THINGS (which comes up a lot when people come up with ideas for games)... it's probably why I like e+ a lot, despite it being in a language I basically can't understand.

The updates do end up having more dialogue added, but... yeah, basically needs a lot more atm, as well as more interaction. The villager system in this game's actually pretty good, but it still needs a lot more work.

(also, if for whatever reason you decide to have jerk villagers, ww jerk villagers not gc jerk villagers pls. gc too nasty, nl too nice... ww perfect balance)

Now that most of my villagers are up to max friendship the dialog has gotten so much better. There are a lot more overheard conversations, and they will also volunteer more personal aspects of themselves. But I really miss when they would invite themselves over for a visit and comment on my house, and I would love to play more games with them like hide and seek, etc - even new games. So yeah, even more interaction would be lovely to see.

Definitely agree with this sentiment. I understand that the game is still unfinished, and the missing content will likely be added in updates like Redd and the fireworks. But the thing is, it kind of irks me that the stuff being added in is stuff that shipped in the base game in past titles. Plus, the events like bunny day, the wedding, the stamp rally and rover’s maze are lackluster and a poor way of trying to squeeze in a role for past npcs.

Idk, I’d like to see something completely new be added, not just rehashes of things from past games or pointless times events.

Bring the WW dialogue, and all the items including RV/amiibo items and furniture sets from NL, and the Post Office, Brewster, Shrunk, Gracie, Kapp'n etc (not gyroids) to NH, and the game would be great.

I agree, the dialogue isn't as good, even NL's dialogue is better as I've noticed while playing them simultaneously. I miss villager requests and the lack of them makes it feel like I have less things to do. I've not been playing that long, so maybe it gets better as your friendship increases? Would love to see an update that adds interactions that are as good as WW, but I think the franchise has chosen to move away from that.

But on the plus side, I've noticed there are more conversations between villagers!

The Game dose not feel Half Empty And I do not know if at stay the same if nintendo dose not do a Last update to unlock it all. At the only worry if event lock up after nintendo stop supporting the game.

Older games have more dialogue because they have less features, so they have more 'space' to put more text. Admittedly, this isn't an excuse as Switch cartridges hold 32GB but you gotta remember they want to keep game size as small as possible for digital versions.
This makes sense, but I'd be more willing to agree with you if some basic text interactions took up any disk space at all. My real guess is that more random script events like 'visit player's house' were taking too long to develop & the team was more focused on the new feature of this game: exterior design. It was more important for the dev team to spend their time focusing on polishing up the "island designer" feature and all the assets (physics, interactivity, etc.) than it was to add more stuff to the old features- the villagers.

The villagers absolutely feel hollow as a result. It seems to me this game wasn't made as a "life sim" first, where you establish relationships with animal people and participate in their everyday lives. It was made way more as a "diorama/customization" type game, where you could build the beautiful towns, have the beautiful rooms, create the beautiful clothes that you always wanted- it's like HHD on crack.
Which is fine! But I agree with OP, it's not necessarily what I wanted. My favorite villagers are still holdovers from the last game- the personalities (besides smugs, imo) are pretty watered down and as mentioned before, there's just less villager/player interaction. AC used to be unique in that villagers always seemed to have something new to say or something new for you to do, almost like they were kind of alive. But now, AC is trending very similar to other life sims that focus on things besides character relationships (e.g. *cough* farming). I think that's fine, but it isn't what I personally pick AC up for. I'll continue to get a ton of hours out of these games, but I sure hope as the years pass with new Animal Crossings, I don't look back and sigh thinking "We're never going to get another game like WW or NL."

This makes sense, but I'd be more willing to agree with you if some basic text interactions took up any disk space at all. My real guess is that more random script events like 'visit player's house' were taking too long to develop & the team was more focused on the new feature of this game: exterior design. It was more important for the dev team to spend their time focusing on polishing up the "island designer" feature and all the assets (physics, interactivity, etc.) than it was to add more stuff to the old features- the villagers.

The villagers absolutely feel hollow as a result. It seems to me this game wasn't made as a "life sim" first, where you establish relationships with animal people and participate in their everyday lives. It was made way more as a "diorama/customization" type game, where you could build the beautiful towns, have the beautiful rooms, create the beautiful clothes that you always wanted- it's like HHD on crack.
Which is fine! But I agree with OP, it's not necessarily what I wanted. My favorite villagers are still holdovers from the last game- the personalities (besides smugs, imo) are pretty watered down and as mentioned before, there's just less villager/player interaction. AC used to be unique in that villagers always seemed to have something new to say or something new for you to do, almost like they were kind of alive. But now, AC is trending very similar to other life sims that focus on things besides character relationships (e.g. *cough* farming). I think that's fine, but it isn't what I personally pick AC up for. I'll continue to get a ton of hours out of these games, but I sure hope as the years pass with new Animal Crossings, I don't look back and sigh thinking "We're never going to get another game like WW or NL."
Yeah, I think someone described AC players as "interactors" or "designers". Designing really only came to AC with NL imo, the games beforehand were all simple and about friendship and the quiet life in an already established town.

I'd say I'm on both sides here because I love designing and decorating things a lot but I started AC with the older versions so I remember AC as that game you play to talk to sassy animals. NH's dialogue makes one half of the game so hollow but the other half is pretty good that I'm still enjoying the game for that reason. I barely talk to my villagers anymore though which defeats the core of AC to me.

i miss how the villagers were in wild world. it was my first ever game and i took the villager interactions for granted since i was so young and clueless about things lmao - i really hope that at one point, nintendo won’t be focusing on game features as much and will start paying some more attention to villagers and interactions with them again - i’m literally begging them to have some sort of personality ;u;

Now that most of my villagers are up to max friendship the dialog has gotten so much better. There are a lot more overheard conversations, and they will also volunteer more personal aspects of themselves. But I really miss when they would invite themselves over for a visit and comment on my house, and I would love to play more games with them like hide and seek, etc - even new games. So yeah, even more interaction would be lovely to see.

I was totally jebaited by Dom the other day.
dom-wantstovisit-smol.jpg

But the conversation stopped right there. o_O

Still, it's true, once your friendship level with your residents maxes out, you unlock more dialogue. Over the past fortnight, I've come across more than a few new conversations between my residents, and also some new dialogue when I spoke with them myself. So I'm really glad for that. It's such a thrill to hear something new. I also get way more requests now to run errands.

I believe, right now, that many players are too discouraged by the repetitive dialogue to bear with it and to press on with interacting with their villagers, and so they lose the opportunity to experience more new conversations (either directly or by overhearing dialogue between the villagers) for themselves.

I was totally jebaited by Dom the other day.
View attachment 310109

But the conversation stopped right there. o_O

Still, it's true, once your friendship level with your residents maxes out, you unlock more dialogue. Over the past fortnight, I've come across more than a few new conversations between my residents, and also some new dialogue when I spoke with them myself. So I'm really glad for that. It's such a thrill to hear something new. I also get way more requests now to run errands.

I believe, right now, that many players are too discouraged by the repetitive dialogue to bear with it and to press on with interacting with their villagers, and so they lose the opportunity to experience more new conversations (either directly or by overhearing dialogue between the villagers) for themselves.
Ive had a villager say that before too. It makes me wonder if there is an update coming for villagers. It is dumb to have that said and nothing happens.

I believe they're planning on adding some more stuff in future updates

Back