• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

how many of you have actually thrown a Wii Remote?

have you?

• yes, on purpose.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • yes, on accident.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • no, I haven't.

Votes: 62 68.9%

• Total voters

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
tl;dr: have you ever thrown a Wii remote before, whether intentionally or on accident?

I was watching a video earlier regarding a lawsuit which Nintendo had to deal with from 2006-2010, in which people were complaining that their Wii Remote wrist strap would break and cause the remote to fly across the room, sometimes causing serious damage to TVs and walls. Nintendo ended up making a newer version of the wrist strap that had a more sturdy band connecting the strap to the remote (since that's the part that would break), as well as a snapping clip for the wrist part to hold it better.

now I want to go on the record by saying that I personally have never thrown a Wii Remote, not even by accident. as a matter of fact, my brother and I never used the wrist straps and we actually took them off of both of our remotes because they were just in the way. I still have the same remotes I got in 2008, they do both have a jacket on them but I still never threw them.

it blows my mind how many people seemingly have thrown it before. how does one throw it so hard that the strap literally snaps and sends the remote flying across the room??? plus I don't think it's really that difficult to keep ahold of, and if you get rough playing you need to either hold on more tightly or take it down a few notches. someone please tell me otherwise if I'm wrong!

also felt the need to share this pic that was in the video bc it's absolutely ridiculous
tv_killed.jpg

like how do you even do that???

I don't think I have, not on accident nor on purpose, and I never wear a wrist strap either. But now I'm wondering how the heck people get so angry to the point where they break their TV or walls. And how did the Wii remote go through the TV like that in the above image??

I don't think I have, not on accident nor on purpose, and I never wear a wrist strap either. But now I'm wondering how the heck people get so angry to the point where they break their TV or walls. And how did the Wii remote go through the TV like that in the above image??
they don't necessarily get angry, they just get so into the game (I guess) that they yeet the remote at 65 mph til it hits the wall and makes a hole. also I really couldn't tell you, I'm just as bamboozled 😅

As somebody who never wore the Wii Remote wrist strap when playing Wii games for years, nope, I've never thrown it accidentally nor on purpose. I've never felt like I was at risk of accidentally throwing it either.

that must of been an intense bowling round if the wii remote ended up in the tv like that lol

several years ago, i was playing a wii game and i was moving the wii remote up and i let go of it by accident and it went flying towards the fake fireplace the tv was on, thankfully nothing was damaged. i was not wearing the wrist strap, i have never thrown the wii remote intentionally though and i have no idea how the wii remote could’ve ended up like that. it’s not even possible they must have cut a hole into the tv and then stuck the remote in it lmao

I have on purpose out of a rage I’ve had many years ago. I don’t get that angry at video games anymore, though, lol. The Wii remote never broke. The television screen was busted, though.

No, not that I remember anyway. If I did, it was probably by accident for not wearing the strap. I accidentally got hit in the head by one from my mom when we were playing tennis. I was fine but her pinky was bleeding D:

I never used the wrist strap, and I‘ve thrown my Wii remote on accident multiple times. Nothing happened though. The Wii remote didn’t break, and the floor was fine.

i have a hazy memory of accidentally flinging my wii remote at the TV while playing carnival games once, but i honestly have no idea if the memory is real or not LOL. if it is, i feel like i probably didn’t put the wrist strap on tight enough. 😅

This never happened to me and I wasn't aware it was a huge problem.
I remember years ago watching the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie and it had a scene where exactly this happened!

Once, on accident. I got back from going to the washroom and was in a rush to get back to Skyward Sword when it came out and forgot to put the wrist strap on. Got a bit aggressive on a boss and flung to the side pretty hard and it flew way, but the controller bit I had plugged into it kept it from flying away and hitting something.

Edit: regarding image on OP, man CRTs were built different. If that was a modern TV, that would have disintegrated lmao

I don't believe I ever did, but I'm pretty sure I always wore the wrist strap when I played on the Wii, so if it slipped out of my grip a few times I probably just don't remember it. In any case, I could get pretty into the Wii Sports swordfighting, so it was probably for the best that I used the strap. 😅

I never threw the Wiimote. Never wore the strap either.

I think the largest reason I didn't even come close to accidentally throwing it at grandma is because the Wii motion controls were honestly incredibly underwhelming and even with motion+ not accurate enough to need anywhere near specific movement. It didn't take me long to realise that rather than doing the big sweeping and swinging motions they intended, it was far more optimal to just wiggle your wrist slightly.

Swing it like a tennis racket in Wii Sports? Nah, just flick your wrist slightly.
Pretend it's a sword in Zelda? Nope, little wiggle works fine.
Hold them like I'm going to start a bar fight in Punch Out? Quick spasms will do fine.

Not to say I didn't like the concept of motion controls, I think the idea is still brilliant and the Wii versions of some games are still my favorite versions (Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Twilight Princess. Fight me)...But if barely doing what the game wants me to do is more optimal and less tiring to do, I'm not going to go full on swinging that sucka around smashing TV's. Doing the movements as intended is kinda just for the sake of it with the Wii...And because it looks good on commercials.

Edit: regarding image on OP, man CRTs were built different. If that was a modern TV, that would have disintegrated lmao
honestly though? I have a CRT and I couldn't imagine throwing the Wii remote so hard that it went through the plastic itself 😂😂

and yeah a modern tv absolutely would have disintegrated with that much force lol. at least the CRT was still working!

Honestly not able to remember, it might be possible though cause I can be a bad loser lol. But yeah while we had the wrist strap on I don't think I played that violent games for the remote needed to be swung that much.

I did! I wasn't wearing the strap though. I was probably about 6 and didn't quite understand the consequences of not wearing it. Then playing wii tennis I got a bit too into it, lost my grip, and launched the wii remote across the room and into the bathroom wall. Put a nice dent in the wall and I learned to wear the strap lol.

I 'threw' it once while wearing the strap so nothing happened. I did drop it once while not wearing the strap. It wasn't a high distance so it was fine. Plus it landed on the rug. I'm always adamant about wearing the strap.

I've never thrown it. Although I always used the wrist straps if I was playing a sports game due to being nervous about breaking my TV lol. However, I have smacked it against a wall and my wardrobe several times playing with sports 🤣

Back