How many of you cheat when working at the Roost?

Yes, I do cheat.
There aren't many opportunities in game where you can find even one of a villagers preferred ways to have coffee, and there's no way to find villagers preferences who don't live in the town unless you use a guide.
Having working at the Roost just a be a guessing game can be very frustrating.

Like just about everyone else, I use Thonky's guide.

Sorry about bumping - just found this thread interesting whilst looking for 2017 easter eggs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Like just about everyone else, I use Thonky's guide.

Sorry about bumping - just found this thread interesting whilst looking for 2017 easter eggs.

I look up the answers. And I wouldn't call it CHEATING... More like, "leveling the playing field"... Yeah.. That.. Lol that is, when I do work. The real question is, "Do you actually even go to the coffee shop on a regular basis?" XD I don't!:cool:

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yes, I do use Thonky's guide. I would be so lost without Thonky! XD

i think the first time i did it by guessing because i had no idea what was going on lol, but afterwards i figured out there was a guide and went by that until i could remember what my villagers would order :p

i think the first time i did it by guessing because i had no idea what was going on lol, but afterwards i figured out there was a guide and went by that until i could remember what my villagers would order :p

Yup, this...and I don't feel guilty!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I look up the answers. And I wouldn't call it CHEATING... More like, "leveling the playing field"... Yeah.. That.. Lol that is, when I do work. The real question is, "Do you actually even go to the coffee shop on a regular basis?" XD I don't!:cool:

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yes, I do use Thonky's guide. I would be so lost without Thonky! XD

And this...thanks for bumping this! Good thread!

Last edited:
Before I got the roost in my first file, I was planning to cheat but I never got it because I was always too poor tbh. But in my other town before my current, I didn't use cheats while working at the roost because I wanted to do everything properly. I felt like if I did cheat, it would've been way easier to do but I always made sure to take notes whenever i'd make my animals would tell me that I had a coffee preference wrong and then use process of elimination to figure it out. In my opinion, it felt more fufilling, and how things would actually work if I worked in a coffee shop setting.

I totally use Thonky for everything! Coffee, art, birthday gifts, April Fools, etc.

A friend made a comment about this the other day, suggesting that looking all this stuff up online is ruining the way we play games these days. I disagreed and reminded her that we've always done this... in the 90's we'd buy gaming magazines for the Mortal Kombat fatality combos, circulate Pokemon walk-through printouts at school, etc.

As games become more intricate and detailed, there's no way to naturally learn everything needed to make the most out of the experience.

Nope. I feel lazy to look up so I just go by based from what I remember. You'll get the coffee items and brewstoid eventually.

I used to do trial and error, but then after my year and a half hiatus from the game and losing my notes from before, I decided to just look at a guide.. I barely even work there now anyway, maybe twice since returning. So I've only used the guide twice :)

Back