• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How has your view of the LGBT community changed over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had more of a problem with people that mock/insult LGBT people for as far back as I can remember tbh.

though I don't really engage with the community itself (I mean I do have some friends online that fall in the LGBT spectrum, but I wouldn't consider that really "engaging"), but I imagine its the same as any other. a mix of good and bad elements, but of course the bad not being sexual/gender identity

that said, I don't think I really had to put any serious personal thought into it myself until one of my online friends told me about them being trans. serious personal thought taking not even 2 seconds to just be "ok" about it, and for us to each carry on as normal

Last edited:
How so? Do you care to explain?
I think any sort of affection that's too intimate in public makes me feel uncomfortable, regardless of people's genders or sexualities.
Do you dislike LGBT people showing affection because of the fact that they're LGBT?
Wow, way to blow this out of proportion.
  1. I do not like when members of the LGBT community want to full-on make out in public. This goes for anyone actually. Keep that in the bedroom!
  2. That has nothing to do with it. It is okay to show affection for those you love in public, but there is a limit for how much you really should show.

when i was little i thought gay men were somewhat gross coz a gay pride parade was on tv and they were in speedos/underwear and it was icky to me i guess

now i just view lgbt as normal and just a sexuality nbd
i myself am asexual and either bi or homoromantic sooo

I haven't really been transphobic or homophobic, but I have been uninformed. I have always known that gay people existed (I have two uncles who are/have been in same gender relationships and it hasn't been weird really?) but with trans people... uh.. yeah idk I wasn't very informed when I was like 11. Lmao.

I've identified as aroace and trans for a long time now. But in my "early days" or w/e i should call it I cared a lot more about the community than i do now. now it's no big deal honestly.

one thing that has changed now tho is that i have become a lot more annoyed by the transphobia in many parts of the community. when i was like 12 i thought most lgbtq+ people were at least okay people when it comes to transphobia, sexism and even homophobia, but now i know that that's not the case. lol.,..

i never really cared oops
i mean i dont care what ur gender/sexuality is just dont be a dick

My opinion on LGBT hasnt changed much at all really. I've always been accepting towards other sexualities and such due to my parents never really bringing up much homophobia. However overall I'm pretty indifferent towards LGBT cuz it doesn't really affect me much. It's a shame that the LGBT-community is at times rather toxic towards other LGBT-members and "cis" people.

My opinion on LGBT hasnt changed much at all really. I've always been accepting towards other sexualities and such due to my parents never really bringing up much homophobia. However overall I'm pretty indifferent towards LGBT cuz it doesn't really affect me much. It's a shame that the LGBT-community is at times rather toxic towards other LGBT-members and "cis" people.

what do you mean "cis" people....... do you believe in thr cisphobe bus.,..

what do you mean "cis" people....... do you believe in thr cisphobe bus.,..
I just don't like the word cis so I put it into airquotes. And yeah focus is right. I don't get it how some LGBT ppl act superior while asking for respect at the same time.

ive never even heard of that meme lol no some people seerriioousssllyy like to believe their a god of some sort compared to the rest bc they're a biromantic graysexual demiboy like chill breh

those are individuals within the community. imo it's unfair to judge the entire community based on just a few individuals (who don't even do it like you all seem to think) but lmao Alright

those are individuals within the community. imo it's unfair to judge the entire community based on just a few individuals (who don't even do it like you all seem to think) but lmao Alright

never said all of them did that i literally said "SOME PEOPLE" but ok whatever

nobody was "judging" anything, coming from a member of tumblr and the lgbt community lol (+from what i understood from the convo). theyre not wrong about the fact that some ppl do act like that, i guess you havent seen it happen before, but i dunno, its pretty hard to deny it from what ive seen. sure its not oppression but it still happens. just like with almost everything (ex.: feminists) there are radical people. no need to pretend they dont exist/have no effect on anything.

Last edited:
never said all of them did that i literally said "SOME PEOPLE" but ok whatever

no but still they are so few that even mentioning them is really weird imo?? like it would be like if i started talking about some trans hating group that consists of 10 ppl when i talked about cis ppl in general. but whatevr. it's just really annoying how whenever someone starts talking about lgbtq+ and acceptance other ppl have to come in and be like "UM we need to tlak about 'special snowflakes' on tumblr!!"

anyways something i dislike about cis ppl is how you all literally murder us, bully us into suicide, make it illegal for us to use the right bathroom in certain places, discriminate us etc but yeah definitely i get that you all are offended by down w the cis meme it's really hurtful and not at all a joke based on stuff anti-sjw bloggers have written about The Horrible Trans People.......,

- - - Post Merge - - -

nobody was "judging" anything, coming from a member of tumblr and the lgbt community lol (+from what i understood from the convo). theyre not wrong about the fact that some ppl do act like that, i guess you havent seen it happen before, but i dunno, its pretty hard to deny it from what ive seen. sure its not oppression but it still happens. just like with almost everything (ex.: feminists) there are radical people. no need to pretend they dont exist/have no effect on anything.

sure those ppl exist but it's not fair that they're always brought up in discussions like this. and imo that's not close to as bad as transphobia since it's usually people hating people who hate them (like, hating the ppl who oppress u is not as bad as being the person oppressing ppl.)

sure those ppl exist but it's not fair that they're always brought up in discussions like this. and imo that's not close to as bad as transphobia since it's usually people hating people who hate them (like, hating the ppl who oppress u is not as bad as being the person oppressing ppl.)

i dont like when radicals are brought up for things that i believe in either, but it happens all the time and i dont think dinomates was judging the community as a whole, probs just expressing their annoyance in the issue. i understand that, since there is a certain group of people i dislike given their behavior with my culture/people of my ethnicity, but i dont like..act like an ******* about it. and yea the memes and jokes abt cis people are ok, i dont rly find them funny or upsetting personally (neutral) and theyre not offensive imo, however when people seriously post about their hate of cis people its just really annoying and cringy...like sometimes i have to read it over 3 times to see if they were being serious or not lmao. i guess wat im saying is they need to express their "hate" in a different way? instead of just being like "if youre cis you [something extreme and irrational]," maybe say smth like, "im uncomfortable around cis people because of what they do to people like me." thats how i do it for the thing i mentioned earlier. idk if that makes sense tho.

Last edited:
anyways something i dislike about cis ppl is how you all literally murder us, bully us into suicide, make it illegal for us to use the right bathroom in certain places, discriminate us etc but yeah definitely i get that you all are offended by down w the cis meme it's really hurtful and not at all a joke based on stuff anti-sjw bloggers have written about The Horrible Trans People.......,

lol good one but i wasnt talking about lgbtqa+ people in general like come on i wasnt oppressing anyone or anything you need to chill for a sec

i believe, and will probably always believe, that lgbt is abnormal

aside from that i dont treat or regard them any differently.

I can't say I've changed much. I grew up absolutely despising when groups of people were treated lesser in any way for no reason. This was deeply ingrained in me, and it was very much inclusive of gay people (I did not know much of anything about transgender people until later). I remember distinctly needing to ask myself why so many people saw being gay as wrong because I just couldn't see it.

This was all long before I knew I was non-straight.

People being transgender, I never saw as wrong, but I've had to progress a little bit on the subject.

Last edited:
When I was younger, I was never against it but was somewhat uncomfortable with is. Like if I saw a gay person on TV, I'd be like "Mom is he....gay....oh, he is? Okay..." When I got older I had more of a neutral stance and it didn't bother me anymore. Then, when I learned that I fall somewhere under the LGBT+ umbrella, I started being all like "Yes, a gay couple on TV! Good job producers!" because I wanted to support these people who have something in common with me. Now talking to/meeting people with different sexual orientations and gender identities is completely normal for me and I'm obviously very comfortable with it. I consider it normal for someone to be LGBT+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back