• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How has your view of the LGBT community changed over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyways something i dislike about cis ppl is how you all literally murder us, bully us into suicide, make it illegal for us to use the right bathroom in certain places, discriminate us etc but yeah definitely i get that you all are offended by down w the cis meme it's really hurtful and not at all a joke based on stuff anti-sjw bloggers have written about The Horrible Trans People.......,
I'm pretty sure nobody said that they were offended at memes or offended in the first place? Also aren't you doing the same ''generalizing a whole group based on some bad apples''-thing now? Is it on purpose or? Cuz you know.. Very few cis people actually go around murdering others.

lmao, as a very queer pans person, my view of the community is that we're all fab. I love us.

If people are that way, then I'm fine with it. I just get annoyed when they rub it in your face constantly, as if their entire personality depends on them being gay/bi/trans/whatever. I don't constantly remind people of my sexuality or gender identity, so when they do I think they need to shut the **** up.

The same goes for people with mental disorders, or people that feel superior for being vegan or having an electric car or something else. They need to become their own person instead of using specific things they have or do to win status or pity.

And that's been my stance on it for years now.

Last edited:
i grew up with a gay uncle and a family full of variety and openminded people, so my views on lgbt stuff hasn't really changed at all throughout my life. i've learned a lot about it over the years, but i don't really think i've had any radical changes in my views of lgbt stuff, or the community itself.

Last edited:
Ahhh I guess as a child I wasn't really open to that kind of thing, I wasn't really focused on the topic as I am now. I honestly didn't care what people did, but I did seem to find it pretty weird. But now, I totally support it!!!

those are individuals within the community. imo it's unfair to judge the entire community based on just a few individuals (who don't even do it like you all seem to think) but lmao Alright

no but still they are so few that even mentioning them is really weird imo?? like it would be like if i started talking about some trans hating group that consists of 10 ppl when i talked about cis ppl in general. but whatevr. it's just really annoying how whenever someone starts talking about lgbtq+ and acceptance other ppl have to come in and be like "UM we need to tlak about 'special snowflakes' on tumblr!!"

anyways something i dislike about cis ppl is how you all literally murder us, bully us into suicide, make it illegal for us to use the right bathroom in certain places, discriminate us etc but yeah definitely i get that you all are offended by down w the cis meme it's really hurtful and not at all a joke based on stuff anti-sjw bloggers have written about The Horrible Trans People.......,

- - - Post Merge - - -

sure those ppl exist but it's not fair that they're always brought up in discussions like this. and imo that's not close to as bad as transphobia since it's usually people hating people who hate them (like, hating the ppl who oppress u is not as bad as being the person oppressing ppl.)

Those two quotes are literally direct contradictions.

>Don't generalise the trans community based on a few individuals
>Generalises the cis community based on a few individuals

Your attitude is pretty toxic. I've met plenty of trans people on here and irl that don't have this attitude and don't always have to express how victimised they feel every 5 seconds. There's hatred on both sides from both groups.

There's also a ****load of support if you actually wanted it, but if this is your view, then you clearly don't. I will continue to provide my support and love to my trans, cis, whatever they identify as friends and you can continue to be hateful.

----

My view of the LGBTQ+ community has shifted dramatically since I was a teenager. I came out to my parents as bi when I was 14 back in 2004 and my dad really wasn't happy. Told me it was disgusting and made fun of me, calling me a lesbian, his mother (my grandmother) was even worse about it. My mum accepted me no issue. Now the actual acceptance of bisexual people is what really has ruined my view of LGBTQ+. 11 years later, I'm still bisexual and had no issue being in LGBTQ+ clubs or being around people that have accepted it until recent years. Now I've been told that I'm straight passing, so I can't possibly know any discrimination. I've been told that my sexuality doesn't really "count" because I'm still attracted to partners of the opposite sex that would make me "straight". The LGBTQ+ community doesn't want me, but neither does the straight community, so I'm left on the middle island called "other" with the rest of the bisexual people. That's why I've chosen to abandon the community as a whole and simply be on my own.

I started realizing I wasn't heterosexual at around 7 or 8 and started questioning my gender around 10 and my Mom has always been pretty pro-LGBTQA+ so I've never really had a negative view, although when I was younger I did have a lot of misconceptions and stereotypes just based on ignorance?? But I never hated anyone, and I've learned that these stereotypes aren't true over the years, and now I'm proud of the LGBTQA+ community

i believe, and will probably always believe, that lgbt is abnormal

aside from that i dont treat or regard them any differently.

I mean, this is actually a very rational point of view considering that humans evolved for the means of reproduction. Obviously we are not just incredibly simple mammals now, but to argue for whether or not lgbt+ is abnormal or not you would have to go into nature vs. nurture. But there is no point going into that on here, of course.

If people are that way, then I'm fine with it. I just get annoyed when they rub it in your face constantly, as if their entire personality depends on them being gay/bi/trans/whatever. I don't constantly remind people of my sexuality or gender identity, so when they do I think they need to shut the **** up.

The same goes for people with mental disorders, or people that feel superior for being vegan or having an electric car or something else. They need to become their own person instead of using specific things they have or do to win status or pity.

And that's been my stance on it for years now.
It may be that you don't feel the need to rub it in peoples faces because no one ever goes out of their way to ignore the existence of people who aren't LGBTQA+. Any time you turn on the TV, there are plenty of straight and cisgender people, and it's just accepted as the norm. Where as LGBTQA+ people are rarely shown on TV, and when they do, it's usually a big deal and not treated as a casual thing. Things are getting better, but many LGBTQA+ people feel the need to be very loud because otherwise people will sweep us under the rug. I mean, in general, there have rarely been more than 20 bisexual characters on TV at a time, as an example, where as almost every of the thousands and thousands of TV shows airing have many heterosexual people in them. Being loud is how we've made so much progress, and people are going to continue to do that until we have equal rights.

The same goes for mentally ill people, people tend to forget we exist and so taking some pride in our experiences helps us. Although I do agree with you on elitist vegans, being vegan or vegetarian is a very personal choice and it can often cost a lot of extra money or resources that people don't have easy access to, and making people feel bad for how they eat isn't cool.

Anyways, not trying to start an argument, just some food for thought based on my own experiences!

I felt attraction towards the same gender as early as the age of five, so I've never looked down on people who feel the same. In fact, I didn't know it was out of the ordinary to feel that way (because I never talked about it) until I was in middle school and other people started coming out as gay or bisexual and I started thinking about what I identified with best.

I remember hearing the word "lesbian" for the first time when I was 10 because someone asked me if I was one because I accidentally touched my friends boob playing tag lol I was confused so I just said no, assuming it was something bad xD

So my opinion hasn't changed at all.

Last edited:
I mean, this is actually a very rational point of view considering that humans evolved for the means of reproduction. Obviously we are not just incredibly simple mammals now, but to argue for whether or not lgbt+ is abnormal or not you would have to go into nature vs. nurture. But there is no point going into that on here, of course.

right. if being gay was the norm then we wouldnt exist...not in our current form anyway. same when a man is born into a woman's body. somethings just gone wrong somewhere. doesnt mean lgbt ppl are subhumans or anything

Any time you turn on the TV, there are plenty of straight and cisgender people, and it's just accepted as the norm. Where as LGBTQA+ people are rarely shown on TV, and when they do, it's usually a big deal and not treated as a casual thing.
My country (the Netherlands) has a lot of gay people that appear on TV and radio all the time (e.g. Paul de Leeuw, Gerard Joling, Barry Paf). Nobody bats an eye at it, and a lot of them are actually more successful than their straight cisgendered colleagues.

To the rest of your post:
If it's activism, I don't mind them talking about it. That serves a purpose. I'm talking about the ones that seem to think that such things make them somehow more special or pitiable than others. It doesn't.

Last edited:
Yo, it kinda makes me mad when y'all argue that we shouldn't build our entire personalities around the fact that we're queer. Maybe we focus on it so much because in the media, we're pretty much invisible. We shouldn't have to demand representation. We exist, and the media should acknowledge that, and introduce well-written, developed characters who are also a part of the LGBT+ community into their TV shows, films and comics.

Maybe if we didn't have your sexuality or gender identity s**t all over from the minute we came out then we wouldn't be so angry, but until you have faced the same experiences with negative stereotypes, tired tropes, harassment from strangers, probing questions, erasure of your identity to name a few things, then I don't really think you have a say on our community. Queer people are out here getting killed because of who we are and you think it's harmless for you to say you don't 'agree with our lifestyle'? There's nothing to agree with. And if there is something to disagree over, then I damn well disagree with the straight lifestyle, which apparently hinges on y'all being mad when we make out in public, get married, or.. uh... dare to exist.

Tumblr and the support thread on here ruined my impression of the LGBT community. It feels like if your views aren't identical to everyone else's then they have a reason to flame you, even if you identify as one of them. Like Minties, I keep to myself instead.

I have however been immersed in writing LGBT fiction for a decade and making films for four, and that's about as involved as I'm going to get. It's something hugely important to me but expressing my opinions through creative work is more appealing for me than arguing with people.

I feel like everyone is waaaay too oversensitive over sexuality and gender, regardless of what you identify as. Nobody is any different than anyone and nobody should be shunned for being whatever. Why can't everyone just look at a person for who they are, personality wise, instead of if they are a boy, gay, straight, female, bi, ace, whatever. Who cares?

Yo, it kinda makes me mad when y'all argue that we shouldn't build our entire personalities around the fact that we're queer. Maybe we focus on it so much because in the media, we're pretty much invisible. We shouldn't have to demand representation. We exist, and the media should acknowledge that, and introduce well-written, developed characters who are also a part of the LGBT+ community into their TV shows, films and comics.

Maybe if we didn't have your sexuality or gender identity s**t all over from the minute we came out then we wouldn't be so angry, but until you have faced the same experiences with negative stereotypes, tired tropes, harassment from strangers, probing questions, erasure of your identity to name a few things, then I don't really think you have a say on our community. Queer people are out here getting killed because of who we are and you think it's harmless for you to say you don't 'agree with our lifestyle'? There's nothing to agree with. And if there is something to disagree over, then I damn well disagree with the straight lifestyle, which apparently hinges on y'all being mad when we make out in public, get married, or.. uh... dare to exist.

I have to disagree with a few points you made here. As far as the media goes, you certainly aren't invisible. There are plenty of smart, funny, lovable LGBT characters in shows, movies and comics in a variety of genres. That being said, writers should have the freedom to introduce whichever characters they want into their stories. Who they introduce is up to them and how they choose to develop their plot (as character introduction can drastically affect the direction the story takes) and it doesn't revolve entirely around what straight fans might like. Demanding that LGBT characters be present is a bit much.

In addition, you saying straight people shouldn't disagree with your lifestyle, then turning around and saying that if they do, you disagree with their straight lifestyle is hypocritical, and devalues your opinion and any good points you make. I agree that straight people shouldn't tell you how to live your life, but keep your argument neutral, keep your emotions in check and people will be more likely to listen to you.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with a few points you made here. As far as the media goes, you certainly aren't invisible. There are plenty of smart, funny, lovable LGBT characters in shows, movies and comics in a variety of genres. That being said, writers should have the freedom to introduce whichever characters they want into their stories. Who they introduce is up to them and how they choose to write their stories (as character introduction always drastically affects the plot) and it doesn't revolve entirely around what straight fans might like. Demanding that LGBT characters be present is a bit much.

In addition, you saying straight people shouldn't disagree with your lifestyle, then turning around and saying that if they do, you disagree with their straight lifestyle is hypocritical, and devalues your opinion and any good points you make. I agree that straight people shouldn't tell you how to live your life, but keep your argument neutral, keep your emotions in check and people will be more likely to listen to you.

My final comment about disagreeing with the 'straight lifestyle' was sarcastic. Also, people don't listen to us regardless of whether we keep our emotions 'in check', and seeing as this is a pretty emotional topic, seeing as it centres around our actual identities, I don't feel it is my job to remain neutral. People debate whether my sexuality is real. Has a straight person ever had their sexuality questioned or undermined? I don't think so. People tell me that my sexuality is 'just a phase'. Has a straight person ever been told that they are 'just experimenting' or that they'll 'come around soon'. I've been told I am disgusting, I've been told I'm going to hell, I've lost friends because they found out 'what I was'.

LGBT+ people are murdered every day for simply existing, and yet you are asking me to keep my argument neutral. When straight people stop committing hate crimes, murdering us, harassing us, sexualising us, undermining us... Then I can remain neutral. Until then, I will demand more representation, more LGBT+ leads, more advocacy and activism, more safe spaces, more inclusion.

Queer people are out here getting killed because of who we are and you think it's harmless for you to say you don't 'agree with our lifestyle'?

o boy i was wondering if u live in uganda or russia or somewhere

>england

ok......

o boy i was wondering if u live in uganda or russia or somewhere

>england

ok......

The fact that people are getting killed in those countries highlights the issues faced by queer people across the globe. I'm fighting for the rights of queer people everywhere, not just in England, where, might I add, homophobia is still an issue despite gay marriage being legalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back