How do you decide on your villagers?

SmokeyScout

Bells
I?m just curious, how do you guys settle on the 10 villagers you decide to live in your town? Do you need to have one of each personality? Your favorite species of animal? Or do you go by looks?

I?m debating who to replace Zell with, but I haven?t been able to settle on someone.

I start by picking one from each personality and how they look. For the final two I just choose two personality types I don't mind having two of. Which for my town is normal and snooty.

Last edited:
I like to do my towns based on specific themes. So I try to just choose my favorites/the best fitting villagers for said theme. Personalities don't matter much to me, but I try to even out the genders as much as I can!

For my dream villagers, I chose one of each personality type and then two more - one male and one female - I like the look of.

I choose one of each personality I like (this is picked by the PWP I want in my town), then I see how they look (I love cute villagers), and then their home.. Then I interact with them and see how they act.. Cherry was once a dreamie because I needed an Uchi, and she was cute and her home was nice... but then I started to interact with her an omg. She’s hella rude >.> She treats my husband nicely, but me not so much.. So I traded her for pashmina (ty amiibo card!) The only House I really don’t like yet I’m trying to tolerate is Chief’s.. I decline whenever he invites me over.. can’t stand that nasty wallpaper and flooring.. I’m trying to change his furniture though.

8/10 of my villagers I picked because I like their design and the other 2 because I like their design + nostalgic reasons (had them in Wild World)

I choose one of each personality, especially at the beginning, when I want PWP suggestions. After I've exhausted the PWPs I want from a certain personality type, depending on the villager and how attached I've become to them, I *may* let them go. As for specific villagers, there are a few that are my "dreamies" (based on looks mostly), but I also like having just interesting villagers, or ones that have nice looking house exteriors. I don't really care about the gender ratio, but it's never too skewed anyway because of my generally balanced personality types.

I go through all the house exteriors, and pick any well designed villagers that go with them.

I honestly mainly go by looks, though this can cause me to run into problems (like having four Normals at the same time and being unable to push any out). I also really like to change around villagers. At some point there may be a time where I don't really want Coco who I've searched for, or Skye or Rooney or Penelope. It just depends. Cycling through villagers makes the game more interesting and fun.

Um, I guess by who I get attached to, Diana, Pekoe and Kyle were starters and Kid Cat is so fun, Carmen's shock face rivals mine, Soliel is so sassy and short, Molly is Adorable, Caroline is so very sunburned (lol) Gladys is whimsical and Agnes is here for her pwps.
Sorry Agnes.

Like a lot of people here, I choose to get one from each different personality. Which allows me to get another from the same oersonality and thats great cause I like too many of these villagers. And I try and get villagers I haven't tried out, like Lionel, he looks amazing. I've never had a lion before. And for my other town, I was trying to get different people who ever either loooked spooky, scary or had a house layout on the outside that looks scary.

like a lot of people, i sought out the ones that i liked the most.
for me, how they'd look would be the factor on choosing which ones i wanted.
cause i find most of the villagers ugly...

and the 9 out of 10 dreamies i've now look nice ( well at least in my opinion )
also i didn't want my town to have 2 ( or more ) of the same species
for example i didn't want 2 horses, or cats, or dogs, or anything really.

my town will have 1 animal of each species, and i'll like them equally.
and i decided that because, to me, it looks weird having more of the same animal species...
don't know why though..

but anyways, i based it on looks, and not much else..

I only go with the Villager's I like, all 10 of my Villager's in my Town right now are the One's i Like. My Three Favorite's are Stitches, Carmen, and Merengue.

I like having one of each personality! Then I just go by looks. If I just went by looks, I'd have a town full of lazies... And the dialog does get a bit repetitious when you just have one personality.

I decide through abandoning them on to suffer and fish out who is the fittest. I am still in the process of slimming the herd and adding more superior ones.

Looks and personality mainly, then possibly from past towns that I've created memory with :)

I was rather particular in Astoria. My requirements for villagers was that I had to have each personality type present, each villager had to be a different species of animal, and I wanted at least a reasonable amount of both females and males present.

At the moment I want to replace Julian, but I have yet to figure out who I want to replace him with...

If the town has a theme, I pick based on that. Otherwise, I let them move in randomly in order to get to know as many villagers as possible. I have a handful of towns and I do try to keep a variety of different villagers in each.

Honestly, whenever I started up a new town I would look up all of the villagers on the Animal Crossing wiki and see whose designs I liked the most. If I came up with a town theme thereafter, or if I had one before starting the town, then I would narrow it down to who best fits the theme. I managed to acquire most of my dream villagers with only a few that I still need to adopt after I move some villagers out. I figure I'll try to get the ones I didn't manage to fit in any of my towns in the next game in the series.

Back