Have You Given Your Villagers Any Backstories/Headcanons?

MayorofMapleton

Mayor of Mapleton, now Island Rep. of Oldenbell
Bells
If so what are they?

My residents are as following:

Molly- One of her favorites she's always wanted. The new girl who moved here for a start of a life on her own and a peaceful one to boot. She's a big fan of the history of Oldenbel and its new redevelopment.

Sterling-He's the security guard of the town, under Knox's tutelage. Hence why he bought the getaway package. Also acts as resident lifeguard and airport security. He's a nerd though for all thing's knights.

Knox-He's been here for a while, retired from patrolling, he however still holds the key for the town's treasury though for safekeeping and monitoring. A practical guy who still follows the old ways and upholds the historic past of the town. Maintaining to upkeep the castle and old town foundations.

Drago-He's young in dragon years but was here when the castle ruins were still a new castle. Doesn't remember much of it, but he remembers that everything on the island is really tasty. Gentle in nature, he prefers spending his days fishing and picking fruit to eat.

Lionel-A seasoned theater actor who had a stint of large roles in old hollywood, has settled here to maintain the theatre culture of the town. May be related to some of the members of the original town's royal family.

Tia-She came to start up her own tea shop here, she also works as a caregiver for the older residents and maintains the cleanliness of the island.

Julian-A mythical being related to the island's mystic past. He has gotten way too into current trends and tries his best to help promote the island for the modern world. Tries his best to be classy and cool, both in the historical sense and the modern way, which gives him an awkward mix of both fashion and speaking.

Snooty-She's come to set up a hot spring spa on the beach and live a life where she can age gracefully. She helps maintain the cultural aspects of the town and the gardens. Comes from old money.

Dobie-A semi-retired P.I who later became a best selling author for crime and detective novels. Has retired here to take further inspiration from the town's storied past.

Monique's deal is she's a big time actress who has come here to have a slice at a normal life for now. Keeping up the class of the town, has a past with Lionel.

Past Residents:

Agnes bought the Getaway Package to literally get away from it all and live off the grid for a while, as the town redevelopment plan grew and Oldenbel became more of a practical town, that brought with it all the stuff she was leaving behind in the first place. So she ended up moving to find her place.

Flora came due to hearing about how K.K comes to visit and as an aspiring songwriter and trendsetter saw it as a great opportunity, however she saw that one of our friend's island was a better place for her and moved there, it is now her forever home.

Anabelle was going on vacation to a island resort and wound up here instead, she took a mini vacation here and left before fall and the cold came. She's new money.

Love to hear if anyone else has anything to share.

Some of them! I'm a writer, so it's kind of a natural thing for me to make backstories. Here are mine:

Vic- He was a resident of Woodland before it even became Woodland. Early on, the new group that came with Tom Nook found him in a makeshift hut on the beach, where he has apparently shipwrecked a few years before. A former sailor, he "retired" when he

Julia- I don't have a full backstory for her, but she is 100% trans in my mind. I mean... she's literally a male peacock. C'mon.

Former residents:
Ursala- I didn't have a full backstory, but I developed a little story over time. She has the music hobby and I always caught her singing on isolated stretches of beach or some other far-flung corner of the island. So I decided she LOVES to sing... but is extremely shy about it, and always worries if her singing is any good. I remember one day seeing her sing in the RS plaza and thinking, "Aww, I'm so proud of her! She must be feeling more confident!"

Coach- I initially didn't have a backstory for him, I initially didn't even like him, but he grew on me. And part of why is because I made up a story in my head where he was a former basketball coach who decided to retire to an island (Woodland, of course) but then couldn't stop acting like a coach- always working out and cheering on his neighbors to work out!

And, when Merry (one of my first villagers) moved out, I decided her dreams of becoming a pop star were finally coming true and that's why she was leaving! I even did a photo shoot-

h9k7if7.png

if (or realistically when) I restart my island I really want to have a proper backstory for my island but currently I don't really have anything for my villagers. for my human villagers, however, they have some vague backgrounds! my island rep was just looking for a fresh start away from her mum, just wanted a cosy little home and a little life she could dictate for herself. I have a secondary character who moved to the island to finally fulfil his dream of owning a seaside restaurant! he's still building up to it but he's getting there. he's also a bit of a recluse though - doesn't talk to the villagers much.

YES

alright so

Doc and Bob are best friends. They're just lazy couch potatoes, though Bob plays with toys more and Doc reads.

Bruce is kind of like a dad to most villagers, but he's shy and generally keeps to himself. He and Doc hang out sometimes.

Dobie's still new, so I don't have anything for him yet

I’m so glad that other people have done this! I like to do this with my villagers bc I find that it adds to my experience lol.
Tangy: she’s a cat so she comes from a big family , her parents had a lot of kids and she always wanted to stand out which is why she wants to be a pop star. She’s on the island bc she needed to get away from the crowded house she lived in but she misses her family. Also all of her siblings have fruit names as well so her house is fruit themed so she can remember the good times with them
Lucky: he was abandoned as a puppy because he’s a black dog so he covers up with the white bandages so that others will think he’s a white dog instead. He gave himself the name Lucky because he thought if he made that his name then his luck would turn around
Grizzly: he seems to have some type of anger problem where his eyes get red when he’s mad and I like to think it’s because he has a lot of suffering in his past and he’s not very good at dealing with it because he comes from a time where men didn’t show emotion
Raddle: he’s a stressed out medical student lol, he’s on the island to try to relax and do school online instead of in the hustle and bustle of a city
Deirdre: I haven’t come up with something for her yet, she’s new
Bruce: same as Deirdre
Shep: he’s a hippy who just wanted to get away from the stress of the city. He and his husband divorced and he just wanted a fresh start so he came to the island
Erik: he reminds me of those east coast snowboarding dudes so he’s on the island for the snow
Ellie: she was bullied in high school because she’s so femme and soft but she’s an elephant so she’s on the island to just be herself
Rocket: nothing for her yet either
I like to think my island is a safe haven for my villagers
Post automatically merged:

YES

alright so

Doc and Bob are best friends. They're just lazy couch potatoes, though Bob plays with toys more and Doc reads.

Bruce is kind of like a dad to most villagers, but he's shy and generally keeps to himself. He and Doc hang out sometimes.

Dobie's still new, so I don't have anything for him yet
I love the idea of having like parental figures on the island, especially the grumpy villagers. My problem is I don’t really have like a mother figure, I need a snooty on my island

not really when it comes to backgrounds,as i don't have all my villagers i want just yet, but i have a couple things for who i do have at least personality wise

🐯rolf: one of my oldest villagers who i have a lot of love for. i literally squeal "rolfyyy!!" every time i see him and call him a sweet old man alot lol. big lazy sweet grandpa acting dude who i see as bianca's older brother (she worries the heck out of him). he's very caring in a slightly stern kind of way and is nice to just sit with. he is a bit oblivious, shy, and worries easily tho. don't have much for bianca as i've fallen out of love with her and plan to move her out. i'm gonna make a whole little forest in a valley area for him to live in. his best frined is judy. he's an ace baby.
🐻judy: tiny and softspoken, but protective and fierce when it comes to her loved ones. looks like a cinnamon roll but could kill you. other than that she's sweet as sugar and just her soft voice can make you fall asleep. she loves make up and beauty routines and is a bit vain in that regard but it doesn't show too bad. her best friend is EVERYONE. she's also bi (she be bi colors).
🐄norma: quiet girl who spends most of her time at home working on some project (most likely a bird house or sewing project) or sitting outside. she makes most of her own things and tries to be as environmentally friendly as she can and tries to give back to the environment as well. very cottagecore hippie esque with a mix of crystals, and essence. loves thrifting and earthbound. i also see her as jewish (not sure why?) her best friend is chevre and she is def a lesbian
🐷agnes: haven't had her very long yet, but she gives me very vintage hippie goth (i think the word i'm looking for is mall goth aesthetic?). also she has cat stuff in her home so i like to think she has a tuxedo cat that matches her pattern. she has trouble expressing emotions as well and tends to have a neutral face most of the time. she's new so she doesn't know everyone too well just yet.
🐐chevre: extremely gay cottagecore goat. she bakes a lot, loves winter and fall, plays piano, speaks french (i like to think she's from france), and has a fairy garden and heavily believes in the fae. she also practices witchcraft (which nan introduced her to), and always ask before taking something from nature and heavily respects it. her girlfriend, nan, lives on a different island, but they send each other letters scented with perfume or with pressed flowers, and stickers all over the letter and envelope. they text and facetime each other constantly and have a book they send back and forth to each other that they fill with things (like a couples scrapbook).

i...that got longer then i meant it too sorry ;w; i should add on to this or make a new post when i get the rest of my dreamies

Last edited:
I'm still working on making up some backstories for most of my other villagers, but Phoebe is one of the ones who I have the most headcanon for:
Seeing that she is a phoenix, her backstory is that she was born in the fiery pits of hell, being raised there for most of her childhood with all sorts of beasts, demons, and wicked people. In fact, the Sisterly dialogue helps out a lot with this because she always talks about how isolated and barren her hometown was, which I like to think is her way of describing living in hell. She also talks about not having any friends and a lot of the people she met as a child being "weird", which always just makes me think she grew up around a bunch of demons and mythological creatures just like herself. Eventually, as all phoenixes do, Phoebe died and rose from her ashes to regenerate and transform, except that for her, she ascended beyond just regenerating and was able to actually leave her hellish hometown. Under this light, she is utterly exceptional in every way compared to other phoenixes, though she's not the type to brag about it. That's why she has moved herself into the Aviary, as she is the only phoenix in existence to escape the "shackles" of cyclic regeneration and live a "normal" life on a "normal" island just as all the other birds do. Being one of a kind can leave you with a chip on your shoulder though, which is why I think Phoebe is a bit more prickly with the other villagers than I expected her to be (She is currently in a shady prank war with Egbert and a longstanding feud with Tex).

Given all that has happened in my island, I'm working on headcanons for my other villagers, but Phoebe has the most developed one for me right now.

In my island journal so far, I have assigned my villagers, former villagers and future villagers roles and some that I’m looking to invite temporarily are going to be given roles based on some characters. Here is the entry if you’re interested. Some have not been giving a role but are still considered allies since I like to think that when my villagers leave, depending on who it is, they stay in contact with my rep. Like Lily, I really didn’t want to let her go permanently but I want Marshal and Ankha more.

I’m kinda in the process on working on mine for my Island Journal; so far, as mentioned, I have assigned some roles but haven’t given them a background story aside from that yet. My island journal is on hold atm since I am waiting for a piece of art I commissioned to be done. This art piece is actually going to be part of Punchy’s story.

This is subject to change but atm, I have Punchy down as a pirate emperor since his art commission is going to be of him portraying Red Haired Shanks from One Piece (minus the red hair, unless my friend decides to surprise me and add it later lol though I honestly don’t think the red hair would look good on Punchy 🤔). I honestly wasn’t planning on this but my friend asked me if I wanted her to make me something so that was just an idea i threw together on the spot.

Kiki is the ambassador - and she represents Josephine from Dragon Age Inquisition. Sadly she cannot wear the custom design I wanted her to wear since I did not make it myself and it was from NL. I want to give her the Sari or purple renaissance dress instead but they’re not her colors or style so I am afraid she won’t wear them.

Rudy is a warrior in the Inquisition and a close friend to the Inquisitor before the Inquisitor’s true motives and side is revealed (my story is not based off the game or anime I was inspired by; it is going to be a weird spin-off and mix of multiple things I like lol).

Roscoe is the commander temporarily since I may be replacing him since his cranky singing voice is bothering me. I may replace him with Spike or Gaston. I would love someone to represent my favorite character Cullen from the game, but I can’t see any villager as him so instead of representing him specifically, I thought just being a commander would suffice. Also doesn’t help I can’t give one villager a custom design or delete it from their inventory when I want them to stop wearing it. Downloaded a nice Cullen qr design but i didn’t make it myself so can’t hang it up and I fear the wrong villager will wear it.

Rosie is a bard; I was considering having her and/or Merry represent Leliana kinda as a former bard/spy/scout but then I thought maybe Ankha would be suitable for the spy and assassin role when I get her. For now, Rosie is the bard that sings at the Herald’s Rest Tavern. Since Merry has the fashion hobby and I have her wearing the renaissance dress, I thought she could be a wealthy merchant instead.

Sherb is a farmer.

I may change these around, but atm I am happy with what I have.

All my lazy islanders are really ex-super secret agents.

When a lazy islander says he had to work once and it was the worst experience, they weren't kidding! They just can't tell you why it was the worst. Now they're retired (in some cases they were "persuaded" to retire, because they did things that were questionable, which explains why they'd say they aren't allowed to fly anymore) but they still need to keep their real identities under wraps. So they behave like they're lazy and childish (and therefore will come across as non-threatening) and they're always going on about food and bugs to throw you off. (Bugs in their house! And the bugs tell them when you're coming to visit before you even knock on the door! A-HA!) It's all a clever act, you see.

Last but not least, I present this conversation with one of my lazy residents, Deli. They know things. They know the truth. 😎

I have 3 lazy residents right now. I love them to bits. ☺

I have some back stories for my villagers but not in any real detail. I have a silly one about Cranston because a friend commented that the ancient belted robe looks like a Jedi robe so he is the laziest Jedi.

I only really have a backstory for a couple but here they are!
Dobie- ex-assasin, now a cranky old man with superiority complex and extremely vigilant
Zucker- escaped the sushi train hehe

All my villagers on my main island (Evwirt) have been affected by a forest curse. Their previous lives are hinted by what their interior looks like. I haven’t gone into detail yet but I will eventually.

Octavian was an astronaut until he retired. The bandage on his head is there because of an accident on the ISS. Also, Tank and Renee are engaged.

I don't have Raymond yet, but I'd like to get him when Julian asks to move. I made him a backstory in advance lmao. Instead of being an accountant for a corporate firm or something, he'd be the chief fund development officer of a non-profit organization. And whenever he's in his house, he'd be working on outreach and fundraising. 💜

Yeah I have 3 villagers who I also had in my New Leaf town, and in my head cannon they all moved to my NH island with me. Diva was my starting Uchi and was with me from the very beginning, and Tom and Ankha came later.

The main story I have going on is that Diva and Ankha were dating for years in my New Leaf town, but then they had a dramatic break up and that's why Diva came to my NH island with me as my starter. Since some time has passed, they are no longer mad at each other and want to get back together, but both are too stubborn to apologize and are waiting for the other one to say sorry first. Eventually they will get back together though because they are soul mates <3

Some other not as developed stories include-
  • Tom is my best AC friend and also the most reliable animal on the island. Whenever you are in a pinch you can call on Tom rain or shine and he will be there for you!
  • Sylvanna is a mix of "the mom friend" and the friend who has a crush on everybody.
  • In addition to Ankha's love story, she manages the island's dig site and conducts various anthropological studies on the artifacts. (She and Diva actually met through work since Diva is a paleontologist.)
  • Snake and Chester are the two kids on my island, and they are both very immature and like to play all the time. Ankha has taken Chester in as her assistant/mentee to help her run the island's dig site since he has an interest in pottery.
  • Judy is Diva's best friend and is desperately trying to convince her to get back together with Ankha since she knows they are meant to be together.
  • Huck and Sly are my island's fishermen and are also surprisingly very popular. Sly is very easy-going and gets along well with everyone, and although Huck is kind of smug and a bit of a lady's man, he is well liked by all.

Last edited:
Mathilda and walt were a thing and had a kid but then they broke up
Bam and Beau are fraternal twin brothers and love each other so much that they moved onto the same island with eachother
Willow is the 2nd oldest of 4 siblings - (from eldest to youngest): Pietro, Willow, Curlos, Frita. Pietro is just a clown entrepreneur, most of his siblings love how expressive and sweet he is. Willow wants to be a fashion designer but never got anywhere because she was held down by her youngest sister Frita who severely disliked the idea, though she designs clothes for herself and friends. Curlos is just a dude. And Frita is an over-weight fastfood junkie who wants to start her own fastfood chain.
Tia is twin sisters with Margie but the two were so different on what they liked and what they had opinions on that they no longer talk to eachother.
Cheri is a legitimate popstar, and collabs with KK sometimes.
Flo is a plumber. No siblings with dead parents, too.
Rory is a fitness trainer with no respect for the real world. had a girlfriend for one day but they broke up bc rory sucks
Tammi is just... demented
and Wolfgang (who hasn't moved in yet) used to date Whitney but they split up

Back