• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

gyroids!

satine

is it better to speak or to die?
Bells
Wallopoid
Matryoshka Doll
Red Tulip
I know that not EVERYONE is as enthused about the possible return of gyroids in the upcoming update, but I am! When I started playing ACGC when I was about 6 years old, many moons ago, I was enamored with these things. My house was littered with them, I was obsessed with digging them up. I've loved them ever since then because they really give that nostalgic feeling in my heart and remind me of my childhood and playing the GC game with my brother on my bedroom floor. I was really frustrated that they weren't in NH because they seem like such a staple for the AC franchise -- not as a main focus, but just as a very unique quirk that defined the game at least somewhat for me.

I've been thinking a lot about them recently since it's possible that they might make a return. I really hope that they DO, like in general. I don't care how we acquire them. But I've been thinking about how they might go about them now that crafting is a feature.

Another thing I think is good to keep in mind is that the original lore of gyroids is that they are based on the Japanese "haniwa" figurines that would be buried with the dead back in the 5th-6th centuries AD. So, I feel like the fact that we're on a previously untouched "deserted" island (i.e., an island that would not possibly have such figurines previously buried such as was implied about gyroids in previous games) might change the way we acquire them -- or maybe Nintendo will just let us still dig them up anyway.

But like I said -- maybe since crafting is a feature, they would be something we could craft? Maybe we'd acquire their DIYs via the normal methods. Or, Brewster could give us their DIYs the more and more we interact with him. I think this would be cute because this potentially could mean that there would be seasonal ones (like for Halloween, fall/autumn, Toy Day/winter, summer, et cetera). And it'd be really fun to try and acquire all the recipes.

But I am really nostalgic too. I still really enjoy the idea of digging them up, it gives something do so and it's fun to try and see if you'll get different ones each day.

Does anyone else wonder the same? Are there any other possibilities as to how we might acquire them or how they will be featured?

I think there's a very good chance they're coming back... to the point where I'll be surprised if they're not addressed in the upcoming direct (all the so called "leaks" I've seen mention them, but God knows those are often about as good as a psychic reading). It would make sense for them to return with Brewster (the one thing we KNOW is coming), after all.

I'm guessing, if they do come back, it'll be the same as every other game- ya dig 'em up. Considering how many fossils you get every day, it might actually be nice to have that evened out a bit (like, if you got gyroids and a few less fossils) I certainly loved getting them early on to help pay off my bills, but they were SO easy to obtain I filled up my museum exhibit without even trying... which doesn't feel very satisfying.

I am really hoping they'll come back, though. I didn't really get into them until ACNL and, even then, I didn't use them too much. But it's kind of a "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" sorta thing, because I feel like they'd be SO cool to decorate with now- especially with being able to place furniture outside! They'd definitely spice up my spooky forest~

I loved gyroids. My favorite were the nebuloids and the sproids. The sounds of these ones in particular were intriguing to me. I foresee them being brought back, and it would be surprising to me for them not to make a return. Brewster being confirmed pretty much makes gyroids more likely to return, at least in my opinion. They would be so much fun to decorate with considering we can now place things outside. There are endless possibilities now with terraforming and whatnot.

Another thing I think is good to keep in mind is that the original lore of gyroids is that they are based on the Japanese "haniwa" figurines that would be buried with the dead

Guess who's also on the island and already dead....Wisp! Lol

I totally agree with you about the gyroids. Gyroid hunting was one of my favourite things to do back in NL. It would be a completely wasted opportunity to not bring them back now. We already have Lloid who's technically a gyroid. It would be very strange to not include them at all. Brewster would be a great way for us to do gyroid events, no matter what the event may look like.

i never really agreed with the whole "completely deserted, never inhabited before" island thing being a good excuse for no gyroids. i always thought it was reasonable that they could've been buried with the "ancient" civilization that inhabited the island centuries before we did -- long enough for all other traces of them to have been destroyed by the elements. i mean, we've got fossils, so the island was clearly inhabited at some point by something anyway, otherwise those wouldn't be there either. yes, i'm aware dinosaurs are way older than humans lmao, but the point still stands. just because we think it was never inhabited, doesn't mean that's necessarily true.

i'm admittedly not as obsessed with gyroids as some people (i never decorated with them), but i do think they're neat, and they've always felt like a "staple" of the series to the point where them not being around feels weird. i'd love to see them return, especially in connection with brewster, but i'm not going to get my hopes up just in case.

i did see someone suggest that they could be recipe cards and crafted using clay, but... personally, i don't really care for the idea. i remember there being a lot of gyroids. i'd rather see them all return than have half of them cut just so they can be recipes. the only solution i can see to this is having each "category" of gyroid be a recipe, and then have the mini/tall variations of it be customized into it, but that just takes away the charm for me. after a year, i'm pretty tired of collecting recipes and scrolling for miles through the DIY app on my phone. i'd prefer being able to dig them up and gradually collect them that way, and it certainly rains enough in this game around june-august. then there could be "seasonal variations" that are accessed via recipe cards instead, adding some variation to the way they're obtained, or, perhaps, digging one up allows you to craft it yourself in the future. i wouldn't mind that as much as DIY cards or bust, although it's probably not feasible given that, again, there's 100+ gyroids or something.

im not that hyped about them, i never was. but im sure the community will make great use out of them and who knows, maybe ill find some kind of way to decorate with them. they would be great for spooky forests tho

For those who have completed their museums and catalogs, I guess it's another thing to collect.

I like gyroids. The sounds they produce make a good ambient effect. And gyroids being placed outside would make things a bit more interesting.

i honestly didn’t care for gyroids at all in the previous games, but i’m really hoping that they’ll return alongside brewster. i’m not sure if i’d ever use them for decoration purposes, but they’re definitely pretty neat and i’d love to have something new to collect.

i’m personally hoping that we’ll be able to dig them up like before, instead of them coming in diy form, but the idea of there potentially being seasonal ones has me warming up to the idea of gyroid diys a lot, because i don’t know about ya’ll, but a gyroid wearing a santa hat or carrying a trick or treat bag or something would make my entire life LOL. but honestly, i’m not too picky about how they return — i just want them back. :’)

I think everyone should experience walking through a forest full of tootoids at 3AM.
unknown.jpeg

I think everyone should experience walking through a forest full of tootoids at 3AM.
unknown.jpeg

Are those the ones that sounded like farts? 😅 I don’t recall if I ever listened to all of the gyroids since they all annoyed me except for the Brewster ones. 😅 I don’t remember hearing the farting one though.

Back