• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Games You Love With Protagonists You Hate

I don't particularly like silent protagonists. It feels like you're surrounded with so many characters with varying personalities, but when you're stuck playing as a silent protagonist, you can't express yourself back to them. Other than that, I wasn't a fan of Ajay from Far Cry 4. He feels so bland compared to previous and current games.

Oh I really relate to this. The first Act of Inazuma got me really excited and interested that they might be taking the protagonists somewhere and give them some kind of character arc but everything they built up there felt completely lost in second act so I just felt even less invested in them.

Big agree on Paimon too. I almost feel Genshin focuses too much on it's world/ lore/ npcs for my liking. It's a little better now I think but focusing on one off side characters + bland protag + the floating thing w lil depth outside of food and explaining = sometimes it's hard for me to stay in touch with Genshin not gonna lie.

You took the words out of my mouth with the "the writers don't know whether to make them player inserts or give them lore". I never thought about it like that but that's totally how it feels.

Honestly I have this issue with almost every game that I play. Definitely not at all a fan of Mario or many of the characters from the Mario universe (except for Yoshi, I love yoshi). Never liked any of the protagonists from fire emblem, all really obnoxious but I love playing some of the games in the series anyway. Dragon quest builder protagonist is annoying, again, really every series that I play. The writing is cringey, the characters offer nothing particularly interesting but I honestly don’t care. If I want good characters, I’ll read a book or watch something. I play games for the strategy, creativity and relaxation. The games that have better writing are usually less fun the play anyway, or maybe I just haven’t played many games. Idk.

In Touhou Im not the biggest fan of Sakuya. Don't mind how she plays. But she's probably one of the meaner heroines.

Back