• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

games where you play as animals

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Bluebird of Happiness Plush
Blue Hybrid Rose
Im looking for some video game recommendations. specifically, I want to play games where you play as an animal (cat, dog, fox, etc).

I'm particularly interested in adventure games. one of my favorite games of all time is Petz Catz 2 on PS2/Wii, a game where you play as a cat and you go on a journey to save your village from an evil wolf. I've also considered trying the game Spirit of the North, a game where you play as a fox and it's very atmospheric. though I've heard the control is a little clunky (I wish I could play a demo of it) so I'm hesitant. if anyone has played this game do let me know what it's like!

does anyone here have any other recommendations for games like these? I would love to try some new stuff.

edit: if it helps at all, I prefer 3D-environment games where the player character is a non-anthro animal (Petz Catz 2 and The Dog Island are perfect examples of this).
Petz_Catz_2_Gameplay_PS2_2.png

Last edited:
Shelter 1, and 2 you play as animals. in one you play as a badger, 2 you play as a lynx (I think, its been a while)

Uh, the endings are unexpected. But both are awesome.
On the wii I played a game called *deadliest creatures) where you can play as a scorpion or tarantula. Its kinda dark though. still really good

If you wanna play as a dinosaur, I was addicted to a game where you play as a number of different ocean dinosaurs. Unlock them, its pretty fun.

I played so many animal games as a kid.
Catz 2 was amazing ♡ you could try the dog version too. or Dog island.
Post automatically merged:

To add, theres a new game called *Bee simulator* it's got a cute story, and amazing graphics. The bees look real, not cartoonish

It looks really good, silly, but good. plus who doesn't wanna be a bee

Last edited:
Cat Quest was a fun little RPG game from what I remember. There's also a sequel out as well. I bought it on sale but haven't had a chance to play it yet. The sequel includes dogs too from what I've heard.

Does it matter what console? Like, do you still have your PS2? I enjoyed playing The Adventures of Cookie and Cream on PS2 with friends as a kid. It's a puzzle adventure in which you play as a pair of rabbits in obstacle course type levels. There's a port for the DS as well. Very simple controls, and you can play 2p or control both rabbits simultaneously.

The Hamtaro adventure games for GBC and GBA are fantastic. There are three: Ham-Hams Unite, Ham-Ham Heartbreak and Rainbow Rescue.

No idea if they'll be any good, but I'm looking forward to playing Stray and Little Kitty, Big City. Both are about a cat in a cityscape trying to find its way home, but they definitely have very different tones. Haha. I've also been meaning to play Night in the Woods.

I almost forgot about Okami!! I've heard a lot of great stuff about that game but idk anything about it besides that the protagonist is a wolf lol. (and that the game features Japanese folklore and is inspired by the Zelda series which is dope asf)

okami is definitely a great game to play! the graphics are so pretty! and for me, it's so satisfying to run around bringing life back to the world. you also get to feed the animals in the game, and it's actually one of the ways you gain power. the music is so soothing too. i had it for the wii and when they released it for the switch, i snapped it up right away.

If you're looking for something really obscure, try Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. You play as an "exctint" animal on there where NPCs are also animals there in an Australian setting where the Aussie slang is everywhere! You also wield Boomerangs as your weapons while trying to stop Boss Cass from ruling over Australia and eventually, the world.

It and it's sequel can be bought on the E-shop for (IIRC) 30$. ? I enjoy the game every playthrough and I'm sure you will too.

I've played Cattails and had quite a bit of fun with it. You play as a cat, you can hunt, you can join a few different clans, have a mate, and stuff like that. There is also skills you can upgrade such as swimming, hunting, fighting, and foraging. There are also passive skills and combat/quick skills you can use like teleporting home, a hard hitting attack, a damage-over-time attack, and others! It's actually a pretty fun game.

You can decorate your den some, too, and have kittens. Your kittens are randomized, too, and they're based off of the parent's colors. I was resetting for some cute kittens when I played. You can name your kittens, too! Just be aware that the amount of kittens you have is based off of something (specifically leaving this out), so if you want a small litter of kittens or many, you should look into how the mechanics work since I believe that you can only have one litter of kittens. I'm unsure on that, though, since I haven't played in awhile. ^^;

Also, +1 for Cat Quest/2. I've played the second one a bit and had fun with that game as well!

I'll second/third/whatever Okami. It's absolutely dripping with style, has an amazing soundtrack, and is just generally an awesome game. It's on a wide variety of platforms as well, making it pretty accessible!

If anthropomorphic animals also count, Night in the Woods is a unique, fun game as well - it also has a great soundtrack! It's set in a small mining town during the autumn, making it especially enjoyable to play around this time of the year.

Cat Quest 1 & 2
Kitaria Fables
Night In The Woods
Okami
Crash Bandicoot
Tokyo Jungle

Are just a few that I can think off the top of my head

Cat quest 1 and 2 are great! Definitely recommend! Also, does Spyro count? Because...Spyro.
I've been playing the og Spyro trilogy for as long as i can remember! definitely one of my favorite games series ever.

I just ordered a copy of The Dog Island on PS2, can't wait to try it when it arrives ☺🐶

Cattails and WolfQuest Anniversary, + Shelter series and Ōkami. Also Meadow, which is a lovely animal chatless MMO for Shelter fans.

i’ll second cattails, super cat tales and super cat tales 2 were also good free mobile games!

I'd also recommend Shelter and Okami, otherwise I enjoyed A Short Hike for the switch as a chill short little game, and untitled goose game. I've never played it but I've heard some good things about Stray? And not a standard game but I enjoyed playing Animal Jam growing up. ☺️

recommend stray and a short hike for definite, two of my favourites for sure ;u;

lil' gator game is pretty good too! the music is a smol bit repetitive but it's a good game

Not sure if you're still looking for recommendations, since this thread is so old, but I have some. ^o^;>

Depending on how hard you want to look for older games, there's all of the Hamtaro games for the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, where you play as a hamster in a full-sized world, so you feel really small, interacting with everyday objects that are really big, and also talking to other hamsters.

The Lion King game for SNES/Genesis lets you play as a lion. Simba, specifically.

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games let you play as a Pokémon, and you can choose from some quadrupeds, if that's similar enough to what you're looking for.

You play as a wolf for a significant amount of time in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and you get to do things like howl and dig holes and follow scents, in addition to running around and fighting, very wolfy.

All of the Donkey Kong Country games let you play as an ape or a monkey.

That might be it for games that I've played where you're a non-anthropomorphized animal.

Back