• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • "Join us at 8 PM EDT for a special, for-fun (no spectator points) staff stream of ACNH hide-and-seek!"
    ~~ Streaming now on Twitch with chat in #secret-stream ~~

Game of the Year

Fabioisonfire

total a-hole
Bells
Recently, I got three mega-monsters of the industry this year:

BioShock
Halo 3
Mass Effect

All for 360. Let me tell you why you need a 360 just for these 3 games. Please Google each of these games, read the reviews, and learn them. These will be three of the GOTY nominees, I guarantee it.

BioShock-
I give BioShock a straight 10. It's absolutely perfect. Now for everyone who thinks "ZOMG ITS ANOTHER SHOOTER LOL" Shut up before I kick you in the throat and tear your mom in half. BioShock is a breakthrough in the way you tell a story. The story is so beautifully tragic, you can't help but get involved in the amazing plot and forget your outside life. (Sorry, Sarah. :p) The gameplay is absolutely amazing. Truly, every small skirmish with 1-2 Splicers feels like a war. The atmosphere is so creepy, you might want to play with the lights on. Great gameplay, amazing storyline and characters, great sound, great everything. When Irrational was pitching this game to publishers, one that turned them down said that it was "just another standard FPS that will sell 120,000 units." Foot, meet mouth.

Halo 3-
Halo. We all know what Halo is. But let me tell you that this is the most fully realized edition in the trilogy. It brings the good from Halo 1 and 2 and mushes them together and then adds some more. I know this is a Nintendo forum, and most of you are all like "OMG ALL HALO IS IS GUNS AND BLOOD I WANNA JUMP ON STUFF AND EAT MUSHROOMS LOL" Shut up before I kick you in the teeth, and then stab your girlfriend. Listen: You will NEVER get bored of this game. Why? Campaign- 4 levels of difficulty, and a 10 hour playthrough on Heroic. Once you're done with the campaign, you can tackle Legendary, where the AI is P.h.D smart, or you can attempt to find the hidden skulls that can modify the game when turned on. (Some fun, some hard.) Or you can go back and get all the Terminals for the Marathon Man achievement. Or you can play up to 4 player co-op in the campaign with the meta-game to see who can rack up the most points. Multiplayer- The beef of Halo. Over 11 varied and very different maps to start, literally UNLIMITED gametypes, LOTS of balanced weaponry, customize your character for online (Male, female, Spartan, Elite, armor permutations). And let's face it. Halo's multiplayer is some of the most solid FPS multiplayer out there. Let's just say after a year you're bored with Halo 3's multiplayer. Why not head into the Forge, where you can modify any of the maps to your choosing? (Place weapons, spawn points, scenery, anything!) You can even fight others in the Forge, making it God Vs. God. AND.... If you're bored of all that, head into the Theater, where you can play, pause, rewind, fast forward, free-look, take screenshots, of ANY campaign mission, Forge session, or multiplayer match you've ever played. Long story short: Halo = lots of value. Plus, it's the end to a trilogy, why not send it off with a GOTY?

Mass Effect-
Mass Effect is truly a triumph and will go down in gaming history. It revolutionizes the genre, and changes the way a story could be told. For those of you who don't know what Mass Effect is, shut up before I punch you in the back of the head and kill your friends and family. But it's like KOTOR on 1,000,000 steroids. The customization options are wonderful, and the conversations flow much better than in Jade Empire or KOTOR. Every decision you make has a ripple in the entire galaxy. You can roam around the galaxy as you please, or follow the plot. Both are fun to do. HUNDREDS of quests, and HUNDREDS of hours of playing time you can crank out of this one.

BioShock- 10
Halo 3- 9.8
Mass Effect- 9.8

Now for the competitors that you guys believe will get GOTY-

MPC- 8 at best. Feels like ground beef. It's good ground beef, but not the steak I was hoping for. NP is the most biased piece of #$*& for giving it a 10.

Mario Galaxy- Not sure yet, haven't played, but it does look good. It might be the 4th nominee.

Um... anything else? Bring it on.

Here are, in my opinion, the real GoTY nominees.

Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Nobody's going to agree with me on the last one, but to hell with that. BioShock is self-explanatory, I think you said it better than I could... it's not even close to a generic FPS. The story reminds me of... 1984, sort of. The dystopian universe is really unique...

Super Mario Galaxy might just be the funnest game ever. EVERYONE who has played it is billing it the Game of the Year. Everyone who's played it had a smile on their face, a huge stupid grin stretched to their ears while playing it...

Fire Emblem is my favorite game series, PERIOD, and I think Radiant Dawn is going to be the best of them all.

Fabio said:
I forgot about FE. Yeah, I guess. I'll have to wait and see.
But, remember last year, how Okami reaped in most of the GoTY awards? This year it's gonna be a game nobody's expecting, and that's Mario Galaxy... the customary choice would, indeed, be Halo 3 or something, but I honestly think Mario Galaxy has a sure-fire chance.

The two main contenders in the media will, indeed, be Bioshock and Mario Galaxy. Halo 3 will be brushed off as an improvement to the prequel by most outlets... and Fire Emblem will be forgotten, as usual...

Too bad 1% of this forum's population is intelligent enough to engage in this conversation.

Okay, so, here it is then:

-BioShock
-Mario Galaxy
-Halo 3
- ?

Halo 3 WILL be a nominee, whether it deserves GOTY or not, I can see it.

Fabio said:
Too bad 1% of this forum's population is intelligent enough to engage in this conversation.

-BioShock
-Mario Galaxy
-Halo 3
- ?

...Hmm... I'm thinking maybe a PS3 title... maybe not though... there really isn't anything "omg GAME OF THE YEAR" on that platform, not yet anyway... I can already see two of the GoTY nominees for 2008, though.

-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

But whatever. For the fourth game in 2007, I think it might be... Zack and Wiki.

Unorthodox choice no doubt, but really; it's one of the greatest new franchises to come out the door in years, and it revives the mostly-dead point and click adventure game genre. Everyone is praising the hell out of the game, so I think it might stand a chance as a GoTY nominee.

If Brawl was coming out this year, that'd definitely a nominee.

It's a debatable whether or not Halo 3 would beat FERD, however they are two diffrent genres so it's kinda hard to compare them...

OddCrazyMe said:
If Brawl was coming out this year, that'd definitely a nominee.

It's a debatable whether or not Halo 3 would beat FERD, however they are two diffrent genres so it's kinda hard to compare them...
The thing is, though, FE:RD will instantly lose points for the following.

-No Wii motion sensitivity
-Not really improved graphics
-No online

The last two have become sort of a mantra in Wii reviews, and I'm frankly getting sick of it. A game like Fire Emblem doesn't necessarily need online (it's freaking singleplayer game, like Bioshock, which was ALSO slightly bashed for not having multiplayer... what the hell?), and even though I absolutely love eye-candy, turn-by-turn strategy games have never really wowed anyone graphically... ever.

Bulerias said:
Fabio said:

-BioShock
-Mario Galaxy
-Halo 3
- ?

...Hmm... I'm thinking maybe a PS3 title... maybe not though... there really isn't anything "omg GAME OF THE YEAR" on that platform, not yet anyway... I can already see two of the GoTY nominees for 2008, though.

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

But whatever. For the fourth game in 2007, I think it might be... Zack and Wiki.

Unorthodox choice no doubt, but really; it's one of the greatest new franchises to come out the door in years, and it revives the mostly-dead point and click adventure game genre. Everyone is praising the hell out of the game, so I think it might stand a chance as a GoTY nominee.
Well for the PS3 in 2008, I think there's a chance of LittleBigPlant to be a nominee. It all depends on how much they (whatever company is making it) puts into the development and how the online service works. I really can't think of anything for the PS3 this year though...

OddCrazyMe said:
Bulerias said:
Fabio said:

-BioShock
-Mario Galaxy
-Halo 3
- ?

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Well for the PS3 in 2008, I think there's a chance of LittleBigPlant to be a nominee. It all depends on how much they (whatever company is making it) puts into the development and how the online service works. I really can't think of anything for the PS3 this year though...
Isn't LittleBigPlanet a downloadable game? I mean, sure, it does look nice and spiffy, but as of right now, there's really no point to it. 'Cause... even a game like Mario Galaxy has a storyline, as barebones as it is, but LittleBigPlanet as of right now totally lacks story. It's not a necessity for a game like it, but knowing how narrow-minded the game media is nowadays, points will be knocked off for that in a heartbeat.

Fabio said:
Nice way to advertise, Fabster. D:

As for Zack and Wiki, the IGN previews are absolutely GUSHING with praise. When I first saw the game, I was like, "What the hell is this, another kiddy game for the Wii?" But when I read about it, watched videos and stuff, etc, I realized that there's much more to it than that.

The name is absolutely stupid, sure, but the game is gonna be amazing.

Bulerias said:
OddCrazyMe said:
Bulerias said:
Fabio said:

-BioShock
-Mario Galaxy
-Halo 3
- ?

-Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Isn't LittleBigPlanet a downloadable game? I mean, sure, it does look nice and spiffy, but as of right now, there's really no point to it. 'Cause... even a game like Mario Galaxy has a storyline, as barebones as it is, but LittleBigPlanet as of right now totally lacks story. It's not a necessity for a game like it, but knowing how narrow-minded the game media is nowadays, points will be knocked off for that in a heartbeat.
As far as I know it will also be downloadable, as well as retail. (I'm not 100% sure about that.) As for the element in story, I'm sure they'd announce something of it. From what we know is that you go through stages, to earn things to put in your custom levels, so somehow that could get a story incorporated with that. It all depends on what they want to do really.

Fabio said:
The name was originally "Treasure Island Z", which was a much better name in my opinion. And every time I want to find the Wikipedia article for Zack & Wiki it always shows the wrong page. :|

Whatever, I'm just gonna call it "Z-Dub" like most of the media is doing nowadays.

:p But yeah, you should definitely check it out. It comes out on the 23rd, I've already pre-ordered it and paid it off in full.

Edit - But, remember games like Monkey Island? This one is really similar.

Too bad Brawl isn't coming this year... it would probably win. Next year though... who knows, because the hype won't be as big at the end of 08.

stormcommander said:
Too bad Brawl isn't coming this year... it would probably win. Next year though... who knows, because the hype won't be as big at the end of 08.
Though Brawl would probably win, I'm glad it's being pushed back... too many games to buy anyway. >_>;;;

Edit - Wanted to point something out. RE4 came out in the beginning of... forgot which year, and won most of the GoTY awards anyway. So the hype might still be there.

I'm sure Halo 3 won't win. No one's going to say it's the game of the year because it's not original (third one in old series by now). BioShock has a good chance.

Back