• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Fish Shadow Guide!

Mayor Jack

Mayor of Una
Bells
Switch
5120-5199-1045
Eerie Star Potion
New Horizons Token
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Coco
Lobo
Isabelle
User Title Color Change
Jack
Hi everyone!
Since I am trying to complete my encyclopedia in ACNL, I've been looking at what fish I need and how big their shadows are but couldn't find any good pictures of how big the shadows looked so I've decided to create this thread to help people who are looking for specific fish. I've taken these photos this morning on the island and once I got the fish out of the water I checked what shadow size it was on a website. Please let me know if you think I made a mistake and I will fix it. These are the fish sizes for ACNL not any other games so please don't use this guide for any other games other than ACNL as it may be wrong. I hope this helps a lot of people out who are looking for specific sized fish!

tinyfishshadow.JPG
Fish with this sized shadow
-Bitterling
-Clownfish
-Goldfish
-Guppy
-Killifish
-Neon Tetra
-Pale Chub
-Popeyed Goldfish
-Sea Butterfly
-Seahorse
-Tadpole
smallfishshadow.JPG
-Angelfish
-Bluegill
-Butterfly Fish
-Crawfish
-Crucian Carp
-Frog
-Freshwater Goby
-Horse Mackerel
-Loach
-Mitten Crab
-Nibble Fish
-Piranha
-Pond Smelt
-Surgeonfish
mediumfishshadow.JPG
-Barbel Steed
-Barred Knifejaw
-Blowfish
-Char
-Cherry Salmon
-Dab
-Dace
-Puffer Fish
-Red Snapper
-Softshell turtle
-Squid
-Sweetfish
-Yellow Perch
-Zebra Turkeyfish
largefishshadow.JPG
-Arowana
-Black Bass
-Carp
-Catfish
-Football Fish
-Koi
-Olive Flounder
-Rainbow Trout
-Saddled Bichir
-Salmon
verylargefishshadow.JPG
-Dorado
-Giant Snakehead
-Giant Trevally
-Lobster
-Moray Eel
-Pike
-Ray
-Sea Bass
hugefishshadow.JPG
-Arapaima
-Blue Marlin
-Coelacanth
-Gar
-King Salmon
-Napoleonfish
-Oarfish
-Stringfish
-Tuna
skinnyfishshadow.JPG
-Eel
-Ribbon Eel
finnedfishshadow.JPG
-Hammerhead Shark
-Ocean Sunfish
-Saw Shark
-Shark
-Whale Shark

Last edited:
That is very helpful. I can't believe no one has thought to do this before. Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

That is very helpful. I can't believe no one has thought to do this before. Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

Thank you, LadyDestani! It actually only took about three hours - photo taking included. I hope it helps you out.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't even know that the shadows mattered. i just thought they were random. Anyway, thank you so much. This is gonna be pretty useful

Oh, I didn't even know that the shadows mattered. i just thought they were random. Anyway, thank you so much. This is gonna be pretty useful

Yeah, a lot of people don't even realise they're a thing. It's quite cool though.

Oh wow, this is really helpful! I knew some fish tended to be certain sizes, but for some reason it never occurred to me that it could be turned into something to reference. Nice work! c:

That's a pretty nice guide, I didn't even knew about certain fishes and how their shadows actually looks
like (I mistaken them quite often over time). Very helpful, good job and thank you for making this guide!

This is so useful!! Thank you for putting this together! :3
I've never been a fan of fishing because you can never really see what you're trying to fish up, but this can help that ahaha.

Hi, Mayor Jack!

Thank you so much for this! This is very helpful and accurate, it's helped me so the process is slightly quicker on which fish I need to catch next. It's more detailed than other New Leaf guides. Some guides just show a generic shadow image, which meant the large and the huge shadow sizes weren't much different to each other. So now there are some photos of the actual shadow sizes, it's definitely the best guide going for ACNL fish shadow sizes!

:)

Edit: I just read what I wrote it and I meant to write "It's helped me because now it's slightly quicker to find which shadow size I'm looking for".

I also forgot to mention how grateful I am for the lighting. The brightness has a huge effect, it's bright enough to see, and not so bright that it's blinding. I'm trying to catch a gar at night, hehe. I think I should try at 7 or 8am, it might give me time. But then again, it's been raining for three days in my town and that might mean I will have to wait until it's all cleared up because rainy days mean it's too dark outside. Sigh.

Last edited:
Hi, Mayor Jack!

Thank you so much for this! This is very helpful and accurate, it's helped me so the process is slightly quicker on which fish I need to catch next. It's more detailed than other New Leaf guides. Some guides just show a generic shadow image, which meant the large and the huge shadow sizes weren't much different to each other. So now there are some photos of the actual shadow sizes, it's definitely the best guide going for ACNL fish shadow sizes!

:)

Edit: I just read what I wrote it and I meant to write "It's helped me because now it's slightly quicker to find which shadow size I'm looking for".

I also forgot to mention how grateful I am for the lighting. The brightness has a huge effect, it's bright enough to see, and not so bright that it's blinding. I'm trying to catch a gar at night, hehe. I think I should try at 7 or 8am, it might give me time. But then again, it's been raining for three days in my town and that might mean I will have to wait until it's all cleared up because rainy days mean it's too dark outside. Sigh.
Thank you, I'm glad you found it useful after all these years, haha. I'd almost forgot making this it's been so long.

Back