• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Fire Emblem: 3 Houses, is it worth it?

Toska

♡ let me paint you a picture ♡
Bells
Switch
2938-4133-0510
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Gold Moon Jellyfish
Silver Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Clownfish Plush
Bee Plush
So, I've been looking into getting fe3h, and it seems really cool. However, it's $60 and I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money. The reviews seem really good for it, but I know actually hearing people's straight on opinions of the game here on TBT would be a better strategy.

So, would you recommend FE3H? Is it worth it? Or should I get Fire Emblem Warriors? Thanks :D

*mini update: I bought the game! I believe the $60 was worth it and I've really enjoyed playing thus far!*

So, I figured I'd give a paragraph or so of what I thought about the game! I played through once, and that was through the Blue Lion house. This game is now one of my few favorites on the switch. The bonds you can develop and very intriguing, and there are multiple different routes you can take. It's crazy to me how you can really care for a video game character as if you knew them in real life. I really have zero complaints. Would recommend to anybody!

Last edited:
It depends. Are you into RPGs and strategy games? If so you should definitely get it. It’s one of the best games that came out that year for the Nintendo Switch and is the best Fire Emblem game in a long time, no joke. I’ve put tons of hours into it already and still plan on putting more in. In fact it’s pretty much the only game that rivals ACNH for my most played game hours wise. If you’ve never played a Fire Emblem game before I would recommend looking at some guides and gameplay of the game before you buy it. It uses a weapon triangle and many other factors that you’ll have to master to win battles, and outside of battle there’s plenty to do as well. It may or may not appeal to you. Is it worth it though? Definitely.

Just as the user above me said, if it seems to be a game that you're into, then you're gonna really like it! I bought my copy just recently and sunk 30 hours on it so fast i didnt even notice. Each path has roughly 50hrs or so, so yeah, it's a game that will last quite a while, so maybe that can justify the price for you

It has tons of content, you can build each unit how you want and experiment with different classes and weapons. Theres a lot to do in the game, but the bulk of the gameplay is tactical combat.

If you like chess, imagine a more complex version of that with anime

If you like RPG games then it shouldn't be a problem. I been a FE fan since 2014 and l loved the games l played on my 3ds and DSi. I played one on the old wii too. And FE 3 houses was fun for me! People did had some problems with the game like it didn't feel like too FE...which l forgot why they said that. But l would reccomend it. Sometimes people bother to finish the game once and they think it's pointless to play it again, but that depends on the person. So l don't know if you would like to start the game all over again after finishing it, if you did get it. Like you could get different endings. So it's sorta worth to play again and plus you can get a different team if you restarted the game.
Post automatically merged:

And for FE Warriors can get boring like most people said because you don't do a lot in the game besides fight a war....which l'm confuse of. But it's not an RPG game so it will be easier than 3 houses. The game is like Hyrule Warriors(not age of Calamity) and like Dynasty Warriors which was the real game that started it all. In FE Warriors they will have many different FE characters in one game all fighting together. So that's a nice part like sorta combining different FE games in one.
Post automatically merged:

But remember they're both fun games imo but l would get 3 houses first and get FE warriors next year. But that's my opinion so its up to you.

Last edited:
I've spent 275hrs playing through the four routes so it offers plenty of content.

If you like JRPGs, definitely get it! There is a ton of content packed into the game! 😃

It's my first Fire Emblem game and I enjoy it a lot! Not sure about the $60, but you get like 3-6 playthroughs out of it if that's your thing.

It is definitely one of the best Fire Emblem games, It has a lot to do and you will get many playthroughs because there are several different routes to take. Also most of the characters are really well written and have complicated reasons for how they are and the things that they do.

I had this same question. I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem, but I read that ever since Awakening, the quality of FE has been spiraling downward. I read a few bad reviews that left me nervous about putting down that much money into the title, but I've been reconsidering it after reading all of the positive reviews here though. :)

I had this same question. I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem, but I read that ever since Awakening, the quality of FE has been spiraling downward. I read a few bad reviews that left me nervous about putting down that much money into the title, but I've been reconsidering it after reading all of the positive reviews here though. :)

Oh, Fire Emblem Fates definitely wasn’t that good, and Echoes was just okay imo. Three Houses is on another level though. As someone who started the series with Awakening, I can say for sure by now that Three Houses blows both Echoes, Fates, and Awakening out of the water. It manages to draw in both new fans and old fans and is a really great game to be honest. You should definitely consider buying it. :giggle:

Oh, Fire Emblem Fates definitely wasn’t that good, and Echoes was just okay imo. Three Houses is on another level though. As someone who started the series with Awakening, I can say for sure by now that Three Houses blows both Echoes, Fates, and Awakening out of the water. It manages to draw in both new fans and old fans and is a really great game to be honest. You should definitely consider buying it. :giggle:

Aw i actually liked fates to a degree and was starting to like echoes a bit last time I played it. I also liked awakening. A friend of mine got me into fire emblem by getting me awakening; though later one he told me he ended up not liking it or fates :( when i still liked it minus some problems i had with the localization and story. Still am having trouble accepting it wasn’t that good lol. Been considering three houses maybe myself eventually. I think he said he liked it and another friend as well. what’s keeping me aside from money is time. i still have other games to play and am having trouble managing acnh and my two gacha games

Sorry for butting in. Been wondering myself whether I’d want to get it or not. I have been unable to get myself pick up any of my other games I need to finish even though I really want to.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game. It really is worth the money ($80 plus tax where I live) in my opinion. There are 4 different routes storywise that you can take that make it worth playing the game more than just once which is great. The amount of customization helps with replayability as well as you can experiment with different combos with the same characters in later playthroughs.

Three Houses blows both Echoes, Fates, and Awakening out of the water.

Say no more ✋😌

takemymoney.jpg

Like other people have mentioned, Three Houses has a ton of replayability. Each route has a distinct story that gives every character a chance to shine. Some major plot details and songs can only learned in certain routes. In my opinion the Blue Lions route has the strongest storyline, but feel free to choose whichever house you like best!

how come this thread is still active? It's pretty old now.
Because it's still a relevant topic since the holiday season is coming up and people are wondering what games they should get/ask for. Better to use an existing thread than for everyone who had the question to make new ones and clutter the forum.

That being said:

So I've been curious about FE3H. The only FE game I've played, though, I didn't like too much (Path of Radiance). If I didn't like that, does that mean I won't like 3H? (although tbh I don't remember why I didn't like PoR. Coulda just been I was a kid when I played it and it was a case of 'mad because bad')

Because it's still a relevant topic since the holiday season is coming up and people are wondering what games they should get/ask for. Better to use an existing thread than for everyone who had the question to make new ones and clutter the forum.
With this point about the holiday season in mind:

I would say Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the best all-around game that has come out of the series for a number of years, and would encourage anyone who is actively interested in trying the series to give it a chance. Especially right now when it's discounted for Black Friday, if you live in a place that does Black Friday discounts anyway. This is especially appealing because if you do get the game and enjoy it, it maks the cost of the Cindered Shadows DLC more tolerable. As has been mentioned previously in the thread, there are four different story routes you can play, which gives it good replayability. The characters are lovable and the music's great.

Its main competition for modern widespread availability are Fire Emblem Awakening, the three Fire Emblem Fates games, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, all of which were on the Nintendo 3DS. Three Houses manages to have both engaging gameplay and story/plot/characters, a balancing act that none of the 3DS games really pulled off.

Awakening's plot and characters are sort of bland compared to the older games, the gameplay can be fun but there's not much variety in mission objectives like in the older games, and most of the maps are essentially just big flat plains and aren't very complex. There's a popular aspect, similar to the fourth game in the series Genealogy of the Holy, wherein you pair up and marry members of your army, they have kids, and those kids become playable units once they're of age. In Genealogy of the Holy War, actual time passes in the story, while in Awakening the kids travel back in time to help their parents fight the game's main antagonist who has destroyed the future said kids were originally from. Popular because people like shipping and because you can make really strong, and some overpowered, units by inheriting specific skills from the parents. It started a pretty divisive split among fans when it released, which was only intensified with Fates, but which has died down since Three Houses' release. I fall on the more negative side, but others enjoy it.

Fates' story and plot stuff is worse than Awakening's in that they're actually just godawful and have nonsensical stuff like the baby dimension that they threw in to try to justify bringing back the marriage and child unit mechanics that made Awakening so popular. Fates Conquest in particular has a terrible plot but is at least well regarded for gameplay aspects. They also upped the pointless sex appeal fanservice from Awakening, which was never really a point of the series. I can't recommend them, especially not as first games, and would only say to try them if interested after playing other games in the series so as not to get a skewed impression.

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia has absolutely wonderful presentation and was the first mainline game in the Fire Emblem franchise to be fully voice acted before Three Houses. Its plot is the best of the three 3DS games by miles, it has great music, and the voice acting is enjoyable, especially for the character of Berkut. Unfortunately, the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired since this is a remake of the second game of the series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, and Fire Emblem remakes are generally very faithful to the experience of their originals. Which sounds good on paper and would be admirable in some ways, but things have evolved since the second game and the maps don't provide much challenge and aren't particularly interesting. I love the series and I really enjoyed my playthrough, but Echoes: Shadows of Valentia isn't something I see returning to for years because the gameplay isn't really up to snuff with the rest of the games. I'd nonetheless say it's worth experiencing, whether through personally playing through it or even just watching a playthrough of it or something, because it's still enjoyable in some ways.

That being said:

So I've been curious about FE3H. The only FE game I've played, though, I didn't like too much (Path of Radiance). If I didn't like that, does that mean I won't like 3H? (although tbh I don't remember why I didn't like PoR. Coulda just been I was a kid when I played it and it was a case of 'mad because bad')
Not knowing why you disliked it, I would actually say if you still have a copy of the game or access to it (though, given the circumstances, if it was your own copy I wouldn't be surprised if you got rid of it) to give it another shot. Path of Radiance and its sequel Radiant Dawn have one of the most interesting settings in the series and fun cast of characters, and the overarching plot of the two games is some of the better story stuff in the series alongside Genealogy of the Holy War and Three Houses. Granted, I'll admit bias, as Path of Radiance is my favorite video game. If you don't have it then probably disregard this for now, because you'd have to pay more than double the full cost of Three Houses to acquire another copy of Path of Radiance.

If you do still have PoR, I'd suggest trying it again because you would quickly be able to ascertain whether you enjoy turn-based tactical gameplay. Because at the end of the day, Path of Radiance and Three Houses are both turn-based tactical role-playing games, as is the whole series. The genre might simply not appeal to you. That said though, you might also be one who might like the characters and experiencing the story and just see the gameplay as a vehicle to experiencing them, and I'd say it'd probably be worth playing Three Houses even if tactics aren't necessarily your cup of tea.

There's also Fire Emblem 7 (simply titled Fire Emblem) and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, two games that came out on the Game Boy Advance which are available on the Wii U eShop, but even speaking as a Wii U owner I never really expect it to be likely that others will have the console. The reason I mention this is because you can get those games for like less than $10. Unfortunately neither are available for purchase on the 3DS eShop (though The Sacred Stones was a possible game download for 3DS Ambassadors), and since the Switch eShop doesn't have Virtual Console games, they're not available there either.

Yeah I still have Path of Radiance. In the rare and expensive video games thread, I was actually surprised to see how expensive it was considering I still have it and the disk, box, and art book are still all in reasonably good condition. I don't have Radiant Dawn, though.

I spent some time flipping through the PoR strategy guide - which I also still have for some reason (because I was like 10 when I tried to play it) - and I think part of why I didn't like it was that for like half the roster, in order to recruit X character you needed to bring Y character to a specific fight and you couldn't go back and re-do the fight if you didn't know in advance to bring Y specifically. And that if you don't recruit X then Y will never have another meaningful story moment ever.

I don't remember much about the gameplay itself, but in RPGs, I don't like being forced to pick between either a bare-bones story where only the main character matters vs following a guide move by move just to see other character arcs.

So I guess my question is, is 3 Houses more forgiving for new players to get an enjoyable story experience, or do you need to replay the game to see meaningful stuff?

Yeah I still have Path of Radiance. In the rare and expensive video games thread, I was actually surprised to see how expensive it was considering I still have it and the disk, box, and art book are still all in reasonably good condition. I don't have Radiant Dawn, though.

I spent some time flipping through the PoR strategy guide - which I also still have for some reason (because I was like 10 when I tried to play it) - and I think part of why I didn't like it was that for like half the roster, in order to recruit X character you needed to bring Y character to a specific fight and you couldn't go back and re-do the fight if you didn't know in advance to bring Y specifically. And that if you don't recruit X then Y will never have another meaningful story moment ever.

I don't remember much about the gameplay itself, but in RPGs, I don't like being forced to pick between either a bare-bones story where only the main character matters vs following a guide move by move just to see other character arcs.

So I guess my question is, is 3 Houses more forgiving for new players to get an enjoyable story experience, or do you need to replay the game to see meaningful stuff?
I would say mostly yes but not 100%.

Yes because character recruitment isn't done in the same way as in past games where you'd have to encounter and talk to people on the battlefield. In Three Houses all of the playable characters are either the students or faculty of Garreg Mach Monastery. Your main team per route is composed of the students of the house you choose, either the Black Eagles, Blue Lions, or Golden Deer. You don't need to recruit anyone else, but if you desire to, you can either raise particular stats or raise friendship with students from the other two houses and they'll be willing to transfer into your house. The faculty members I mentioned have different recruitment requirements, ranging from being a certain level or becoming available after a certain chapter of the story. Here are the requirements to recruit every character, but you can also simply recruit them by having a Support Level of B with them and they'll eventually want to join. People often just get the Supports to B because it's way simpler.

You can get sufficient enjoyment of your characters from the Support conversations, interactions at the Monastery and whatnot. Additionally, if you leave characters from other houses unrecruited you also get to see how certain characters react to having to fight each other when you encounter them as enemies on the battlefield.

However, it's not a clear cut 100% because there are side missions called Paralogues, wherein either 1 or 2 of your party members has their own unique little story scenario battle that tends to give them more time in the spotlight. You'll usually get really good items for the specific character(s) after completion of said Paralogue as well. The reasons I make this distinction are because some of the Paralogues require you to have two characters from different houses or to have recruited members of the faculty that you might not think to do just on a whim, and each Paralogue itself is timegated. It's not hard to get them all done if you know when they show up, but it does help to have some advance notice. Things like Hilda and Cyril's Paralogue, Ferdinand and Lysithea's Paralogue, Ingrid and Dorothea's Paralogue, and Mercedes and Caspar's Paralogue (which can't be done on Black Eagles route but can be on the other routes) are examples of ones you have to recruit from outside your house to get. The game lets you know that they're available if you have the necessary character(s) and lets you know how much time you have to complete the mission, but you do have to know or happen to fall into the discovery that this character and this character have a Paralogue together if you want to do it.

You can enjoy the main stories just fine without doing the Paralogues and you get enough spotlight on the characters from the Support conversations they share with each other, but the Paralogues do add more to the world, the character relationships and the overall scenario.

For your convenience if you do get the game, or for the convenience of anyone else getting the game who is passing through the thread, here's a list of all of the Paralogue missions in Three Houses.

I'd say Three Houses is forgiving and you'll be able to enjoy the story of whatever route you play fairly easily and feel accomplished at the end, but you won't get the whole scope of everything going on unless you eventually play all of the routes because different things are revealed in each route. Some people play one route and are content, while others want to see everything and play the others too. You gain benefits for replaying though, so if you enjoyed your first route, it shouldn't seem like a hassle to jump into another route. There's New Game+ bonuses, and one of those bonuses is that you're able to perform more actions earlier in subsequent playthroughs if you opt to invest in Professor Rank. For clarification, there's a certain amount of free actions you can conduct at the Monastery and battles you can do on your own time unrelated to the main story, and the higher your Professor Rank, the more you can do. When you start out it's low but as you do more things it levels up, and with the bonus in subsequent playthroughs it makes it easier to recruit people, or you can do things like pass on weapon proficiency or class skills you learned on a character in the previous playthrough. But I digress, the reason I mentioned all that is to convey that they make it appealing to play again.

---

As for the recruitment stuff in Path of Radiance and other older games, I can admit in certain situations the recruitment requirements can be fairly esoteric. Particularly, Stefan's recruitment is really dumb since he's hidden in a specific, out of the way tile of a desert map with no visible indication on the map itself and you can only recruit him with two particular characters, but he's a good character so I always recruit him. For the sake of it, here's a quick list of how to recruit everyone in Path of Radiance. That said, specific characters being the only ones who can recruit particular other characters has always been a thing in Fire Emblem games until now, and might well revert back to that again in future games. Sometimes you get hints through dialogue, and sometimes it's not conveyed so well. Not perfect, but it's never really bothered me. But everyone's mileage varies, being put off by that stuff is definitely valid. I think you might enjoy the game now that you're older if you ever want to give it another attempt someday. Opposite to what I said earlier, you might find it more tolerable and easy to forgive after playing Three Houses if you play and enjoy it, though it also might just not be for you. I'd say it's worth giving another shot at some point anyhow to find out.

Back