• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is a new Switch worth it in 2023?

Acruoxil

Bells
Blue Rocket Pop
Rainbow Candy
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Clownfish Plush
Winter Mittens
Candy Easter Egg
Winter Mittens
Cherry (Fruit)
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
I've played all the switch games I've wanted to play(Pokemon, Zelda, SMG etc) but I've been thinking of getting it again for multiplayer! I mostly wanna play ACNH and Splatoon 3 :) but I'm not sure if it's worth getting it now since they might be releasing a new switch next year! I'm thinking of either getting the limited edition Scarlet/Violet or the Animal Crossing switch limited edition. Or just skimp and get a used one lmao.

I'd love some opinions!

Since older consoles wear out after continued usage, I say yes (which depends how old your Switch is or how much you played it).

As for me, I don’t need another Nintendo Switch console. I currently have three Switches (a regular Switch, a Switch lite, and an OLED Switch).

I wouldn’t invest in a brand new one if you plan on buying a new release switch next year, I’d opt for a used one. The only issue I have had with my switch is joycon drift, which nintendo fixes for free and doesn’t bother me anymore because I use a (3rd party) pro controller - but a used switch doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad or malfunctioning.

So far nintendo has not announced anything about new animal crossing or splatoon games so you might be in for a long wait if you wanna play those on the new switch eventually.

I think they may release it next year but I think it would be late fall if they do impo.
There is no guarantee previous games can play on it. So your friends may still be playing the switch games on the switch for a while.
I'd say go for it just for the social aspect alone, but if you really want any of play the games regardless if friends play, go for it anyway. I'd personally consider a lite unless you find a good deal somewhere. It's close to the holidays. Sales may be around for things from now through January on various things.

You may want to wait. I've been hearing so many rumors going around about the next system set to be revealed in 2024. Take this with a grain of salt we really don't know what the nexy system is and we still don't know if the system will be backwards compaitiable with all Switch games.

I wouldn’t invest in a brand new one if you plan on buying a new release switch next year, I’d opt for a used one. The only issue I have had with my switch is joycon drift, which nintendo fixes for free and doesn’t bother me anymore because I use a (3rd party) pro controller - but a used switch doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad or malfunctioning.

So far nintendo has not announced anything about new animal crossing or splatoon games so you might be in for a long wait if you wanna play those on the new switch eventually.
Sounds like it's wiser to invest in a used one I can play the older games on until they come out on the switch 2! I'm really looking forward to playing Splatoon so it might just be worth it haha.
I think they may release it next year but I think it would be late fall if they do impo.
There is no guarantee previous games can play on it. So your friends may still be playing the switch games on the switch for a while.
I'd say go for it just for the social aspect alone, but if you really want any of play the games regardless if friends play, go for it anyway. I'd personally consider a lite unless you find a good deal somewhere. It's close to the holidays. Sales may be around for things from now through January on various things.
Yeah I completely agree to this. Switch 2 games wont come out until a while anyways so might as well enjoy it while I can!
You may want to wait. I've been hearing so many rumors going around about the next system set to be revealed in 2024. Take this with a grain of salt we really don't know what the nexy system is and we still don't know if the system will be backwards compaitiable with all Switch games.
There's a high chance it will be, considering all the other consoles make it a priority to be backwards compatible. But I wouldnt completely count on it!

like others have said in the thread, there might not be much of a point purchasing a brand new switch when The New Switch 2™ seems to be on the nearby horizon 👀 i have a funny feeling we won't see that happen though until late 2024/into 2025 unfortunately. i'd go the used route if i was in your shoes, just to save a even a bit to put towards your game library for the console. the chance of it not being backwards compatible is there too, which i feel will be very likely unfortunately

For Splatoon purposes I would not recommend a switch lite. I never play splat handheld, I much prefer it on a bigger screen as the game is super fast paced and chaotic and I feel it’s too compact and crazy in handheld mode. I know that you have a setup already (otherwise I wouldn’t write this), so I would opt for a dockable (used) version. Try watching some matches on YouTube on your phone/ a small screen and see if you can cope with it and then try watching on your monitor in comparison, to see if you’d prefer it on a bigger screen.

I have read that backwards compatibility was hinted on and might be a possibility via the already existing Nintendo accounts, but there’s no guarantee unfortunately.

For Splatoon purposes I would not recommend a switch lite. I never play splat handheld, I much prefer it on a bigger screen as the game is super fast paced and chaotic and I feel it’s too compact and crazy in handheld mode. I know that you have a setup already (otherwise I wouldn’t write this), so I would opt for a dockable (used) version. Try watching some matches on YouTube on your phone/ a small screen and see if you can cope with it and then try watching on your monitor in comparison, to see if you’d prefer it on a bigger screen.

I have read that backwards compatibility was hinted on and might be a possibility via the already existing Nintendo accounts, but there’s no guarantee unfortunately.
Ah that is too bad! I had my heart set on the switch lite. But no matter, I think you might be right. If im buying it might as well get a bigger screen!

That's a good point about splatoon.

The Nintendo account thing I took it as them talking about the Nintendo online service thing transferring and playing the streamed games there, but I hope you are right.

Back