Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
I don't know whatever i do to not compare my island to the others i see on Twitter or YouTube i will always feel my island looks bad and just jealous with everyone i see on YouTube tours or Instagram/Twitter etc. Did anyone feel the same thing? Like having the items and you cant execute it? Also looking at pinterest YouTube Twitter or Instagram is not an inspo for me, but instead makes me feel bad and down. *Sigh* thanks for coming to my Ted talk sorry if i already post this earlier 😳

Awwww :( I struggled with this problem a lot too, I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. Honestly the best advice I can give you is to really focus on and realise that you're your own person with your own taste. The next time you see a really beautiful island, try not to be overwhelmed by 'shiny pretty thing you didn't build', but try and look critically at what *you* don't like. Maybe you don't like little custom designs everywhere, maybe you can't stand waterfalls that have no realistic end to them. Maybe you really hate reusing really unique items (like the garden wagon) over and over so they lose what makes them look special. Anything really. Because you're your own unique person there will *always* be something that you don't like and you can make sure that you don't do those things on your own island. This way you can develop your own style :)

I’m sorry you’ve been feeling this way. I think this is a common problem. We look for inspiration but end up feeling bad in the process because we think our island isn’t good enough. There isn’t really a way to avoid this, unfortunately. You just have to realize that you are your own person and everyone works at their own pace. Someone is always going to be more creative than us, but nobody is better. I think developing your own style is important. Find a theme for your island and stick with it.

Awwww :( I struggled with this problem a lot too, I'm The next time you see a really beautiful island, try not to be overwhelmed by 'shiny pretty thing you didn't build', but try and look critically at what *you* don't like.
I think this is a good point. We are always focused on the negative. What didn’t we do? What did someone else do that I couldn’t possibly do with my island? We all start with the same game. We all got creative blocks at some point. I hope your island starts to take off, and I know it will. It just takes time, and remember, everyone works at their own pace. Don’t feel rushed and compare yourself to others. You aren’t them, and they aren’t you.

Yea, I try not to look at those homes and islands on social media too much. It helps to remember you're looking at the best of the best, and with millions of players, obviously not everyone's island will look like that. There's also a lot of filters and angles which makes things seem better than they are.

I tend to feel worse about my island when seeing top posts on social media, but I tend to feel a lot better about it after visiting a few random islands in the Dream Suite. Not to put down anyone's island, just that it's unfair to compare yourself only with the top. You don't have to be the best, just do what makes you happy.

Agree with everyone so far, I definitely find myself comparing and contrasting yet slow down and remind myself it's MY island and it's my love for whatever aesthetic I choose and not comparing as often definitely helped me realize despite how amazing some islands are so long as I am having fun and end up happy with every result that's the best feeling : ) Don't lose the fact that regardless of every players design level, it's most important to make sure you stick with things that make you happy never let other islands bring you down^^ I also started to compare less and start using well done islands as actual inspiration, especially when I see setups I would not have thought of otherwise.

Hope you don't tear it down and find small ways in which you can build up and find your own feel/look and happiness!

This happens to me quite often, and trying to think "don't compare yourself, your island is great" is easier said than done. Some advice that I've started to follow is looking for inspiration through other means, such as pictures of real places or even other video games that have a similar aesthetic to what I'm going for, instead of scrolling through the #acnhinspo hashtag or going on Pinterest. I've found it helps a ton! There's lots of inspiration to be found out there without having to look through Animal Crossing content that may end up discouraging you from playing in the first place.

A lot of those "showplace" islands, houses, and rooms are done for the sole purpose of taking a few pictures or a video and then they are torn down. I've seen some online that looked really nice, but when I went to dream them, they were horrible. Not because they weren't decorated nicely, but because it was overdone. I couldn't move or had to go on a set path, as if I were in a maze. And rooms had so much furniture you couldn't react with it.

It's nice to get inspiration and ideas, but you have to find the balance between incorporating them and what your style is. Make your island and house the way you want, so you enjoy moving around and you'll come up with something stellar.

It is normal to get a bit stale with our own places, though, because we see them every day. Try taking a few pictures or putting up a dream and see what someone looking at it with fresh eyes thinks. You may be pleasantly surprised.

So sorry you feel this way as I used to get that feeling all that time when I was on Twitter.

I agree with what @Bilaz said, after trying to recreate stuff I had seen on social media I eventually started developing my own taste in stuff I disliked too. For example, I love seeing people use the simple panels for windows, walls, all that, but whenever I've tried them on my island or seen those in a dream, I don't usually care for them that much.

Also used to love cottagecore but then visited a friend of mine who had a very Pinterest worthy island... I couldn't walk properly anywhere because there were so many buckets and decoy ducks everywhere 😂 bless her heart 😔

Anyway, my advice to you would be this: first, pay attention to those images you see on social media. Filters, angles and even time of day can make such a difference on how an island looks. Second, if you want to try out different design ideas or see any items being used in a way you'd like to try out, do it! Even though it can get annoying at times, I find that building and rebuilding always makes me improve my awareness of my own taste and style and get creative.

And lastly, try giving that same love and appreciation for your own island! I find it hard to believe there isn't a single spot that during that perfect sunset or sunrise looks absolutely dreamy.
I know from experience that that is easier said than done, but I started making an effort to take photos and decorate after starting an island journal here and it really helped me appreciate the little things about my island. Sometimes all a place needs is a little love and understanding!

just do what feels right 💌

oh yeah, all the time. seeing pictures and stuff of some really good islands just kind of make me go "how in the world did you do that?" and especially if i'm already low on motivation it just kind of worsens it for me. but i agree with what everyone else has said so far. looking for what you want and like about these islands and taking that inspiration and fitting it to what you like is the way to go. personally i don't look at inspiration posts and stuff for the same reason. however, whenever i see pictures someone's posted of their island that i like, or i visit a friend and like a little area or arrangement of items they've done, or even on nook/kapp'n islands, i'll take a screenshot to maybe reference later or use as a blueprint for my own terraforming. like the other day i even took a picture of the tiny pond at the entrance to harv's island!
plus like others said, in a lot of these inspo islands there's a lot of things everywhere, no space went wasted. but often times there is little space to actually walk and/or one set path, which doesn't make it super fun for me. plus a lot of stuff in one area in ac makes the switch framerate slow so i have no idea how these ppl can stand it.
then i'll visit a friend's town that's more natural, less things jam-packed into areas and i really enjoy it. i forget how a simple island can be great, too.

I feel you! You know, we all get that feeling of seeing something really pretty and wanting to have it for ourselves! And there are people who have a natural talent for decorating and knowing how to deal with space in a beautiful way! Like in all other areas, there are people who are just gifted. Luckily for the rest of us, it is a skill that can be learned, just like any other.
Let me give you an example. When you learn how to draw and paint, teachers don't expect you to come up with things on your own! They give you models to copy and imitate! You know the great paintings we see in museums today? Back in the day, the masters who painted those had their students make copies of their own masterpieces all the time!
My point is, don't feel bad about not being able to come up with great things all on your own or on your first or second attempt. It takes a lot of practice to get good at decorating, just like with anything else. My first piece of advice is recreate the things you like! As long as you don't go claiming them as your own, there is no harm in recreating the cool things you see online on your own town. And with practice, you start gaining perspective and the eye for placing things by yourself.
Be patient with yourself, it is a skill and it takes time to become proficient at it. And coming up with things on your own is almost impossible for all of us! Most people learn through imitation, even if it does have a bad rep for some reason. Restarting your town also gives you a blank canvas and makes you feel like the possibilities are endless, so don't be scared! its always fun to start from zero, i think.

tbh, to keep my answer short and sweet, I leave all the heavy work and island designing to those who have the time/patience to do it. my island right now is still almost just as deserted as when I restarted a few weeks ago, if I wanted to see a beautifully decorated island I would visit dream addresses. I think, in a way, having a really heavily decorated island diminishes room for future ideas/creativity. i might be in the minority feeling this way though.

it's easy to compare your island to others' and want to restart as a result, but sometimes it helps to find something about your own island that you're grateful for (in my case I like that my island has a more rural and somewhat empty feeling, it really has that "animal forest" vibe). I would only suggest flattening if you're really unsatisfied w your current island, or restarting if you just have an itch to start over (like I did).

regardless of what you do, just remember that your island is your own and everyone's islands are amazing regardless of how they are decorated :)

I've had this feeling too but would strongly suggest, don't tear it all down! Perhaps just have a break for a day or two maybe then come back with fresh eyes and work on one small section at a time. Find something you're happy about on your island and use that as a springboard to get the creativity flowing a bit.

Tearing it all down could just make you feel disconnected with your island and then it will be even harder.

Feel like you should just avoid Social Media. Sites like Twitter, Instagram and those on YouTube who like to do Tour videos of their islands it can feel like you're seeing their island and comparing your island to theirs. If there is one thing I learned is that never to compare yourself to others and make what you feel like stands out to you. I once shared my island with someone random last year and let me tell their words that my island just felt too "barren" and too "stale" for their liking. It was then I realize I started to get fed up of coming up with themes.

What I am going to say may sound a bit harsh but honestly I don't really care for themes, I don't care if I have to make my island so good just to make others feel happy about it, as long as I am happy with the way my island looks like based on my personality thats all that matters. I don't care if its stale or bland as long as I am feeling comfortable I don't have to worry so much.

Eh,while I admire the effort and imagination other players put into their island designs,I always follow my own instincts when designing my islands.They don't always turn out the way I envisioned but I know that I can always change them any time I want to.

Yep those people take pictures and don't care for the surroundings. You are making an island! Every inch is of your own hand and that's really gratifying. Sticking to 1 sort of theme is very limiting. But by the time your island is almost done it really comes together and that can be really satisfying.

It can be difficult seeing intricate towns on Twitter and Pinterest but what I always remember is the exceptionally awful lag that hits me each time I try to take a step!! Sure islands can be pretty with loads of stuff but if I cannot enjoy the game mechanics due to lag then it’s not really worth it in my opinion. Decorating with nature is easier on the game me thinks.

I've felt this way too -- rather than feeling inspired by islands I see on instagram/pinterest, I actually just feel stressed out that my island doesn't look that good lol.

However, what I've realized by visiting dream islands is that their island doesn't look that good either -- a lot of screenshots curated for social media look (understandably) way better than the actual island itself, whether it be filters, angles, or just plain edits. Also, while I love how a super-decorated island looks in pictures, I absolutely hate it in practice, and I wouldn't like playing the game with all the clutter and FPS drops that having an island like that would cause.

Last edited:
Back