February Nintendo Direct 2022

I am excited for the Splatoon 3 stuff but it looks a little scary but still fun hopefully!! I am really happy that I have a reason to play DX over the original mario kart 8 because I only play it on the Wii U because I love my Wii remote and wheel. I CANNOT STAND THE TINY ITSY BITSY joycon and I hate stick controls in any game so I dont know but I am excited for new courses!! It does make me sad though how after looking at the trailer the tracks seem kind of bland or like they dont belong??? Like i think they should put more effort into them because if you look at the Zelda and AC tracks which were DLC vs the new DLC like they look so BLAND AND PLASTICY. I hope it gets fixed :(

I'm excited to try Klonoa, Chrono Cross, and having a reason to play MK8 again.

Also super excited for the Taiko No Tatsujin sequel

I can’t believe no one on this thread has mentioned XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3!!!! I’m so incredibly stoked for it. I’m still only halfway through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so I’ll have to beat that one first. I have plenty of time, however, seeing as XC3 doesn’t release until September. :D
I'm currently planning to start fresh playthroughs of both games, to help tide me over until 3 drops.

That ninja drop of an announcement made my year.

Nothing of interest for me really aside from Disney Speedstorm, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Chrono Cross to a certain extent.

The mario kart dlc was a surprise as i thought they were done with that game title (8), its great that its available to switch online so i dont have to buy the game itself, i cant wait to see which cources there bringing back.

im also super happy that wiiSports has been remade to SwitchSports, ive preordered it already as i hope its just as amazing as the wii version, i loved playing bowling and tennis back on my wii console!

i was surprised at the announcement of mk8 dlc, really excited about that one. will definitely be preordering!

splatoon 3 salmon run teaser was also good. i can't wait to see how the new boss salmonids play out on random quick matches. fun and chaos will come of it.

That Mario Kart DLC is relatively cheap, I'm glad Nintendo is going in that direction.

Nintendo Switch Sports looks also pretty neat, but I don't think I'll get it because I won't get enough use out of it.

Kirby looked pretty good. I won’t play it but I know my fiancé will. Maybe I’ll get Nintendo Switch Sports, especially when they add golf in the fall. I’ll get the DLC for MK8 DX for sure. Looks awesome, even though MK9 isn’t coming out until 2024 at least now. Will probably have to wait until E3 for BoTW2 news now.

the direct was a nice surprise (i don’t pay attention to nintendo’s schedule, so i didn’t realize that there’s usually a direct in february until earlier this week lol), but honestly the only announcement that piqued my interest was switch sports. i really wanna play volleyball and go bowling aha. 😅

i of course was also hoping for a style savvy or tomodachi life announcement as always, but i wasn’t really expecting much from this direct, so i’m not too disappointed.

Hi, haven’t ever really weighed in on Nintendo Directs on here before, but here we go:
  • On one hand, given Nintendo literally bought the development studio it’s not unusual to see a new Mario Strikers game. But on the other, the last one was 15 years ago, and more importantly, it’s one of the key games that made Nintendo higher-ups go “hmm, do not do this kind of stuff with Mario” that’s put Paper Mario fans up there in the pantheon of Nintendo Series With Really Insufferable Fanbases, so it’s honestly surprising to see they’ve made a new one after all this time. Not sure if I’m going to get it, tho? I’ve got Mario Tennis Aces and I can’t say I’ve clicked with that.
  • Nice to hear Splatoon 3’s actually got a vague release window now, but after the last couple of trailers made it seem new and exciting, but also “hey, here’s some stuff that was in Splatoon but not 2”, it’s disappointing to see that Salmon Run’s also going to be in Splatoon 3, and this is from someone who enjoyed playing it to get all the gear items. Feels like a missed opportunity to do something new, tbh?
  • I’m not really much of a Kirby guy, but I like the way he turns himself into a car or a vending machine, very novel, and I’m a sucker for “post apocalyptic, but also cute” so I might end up getting the new game at some point?
  • Portal finally turning up on a Nintendo console in 2022 is hilarious… is this collection also on PS4?
  • Nintendo Switch Sports, or “hooboy I have a lot to say about this”: I’ve seen a lot of people going “why now? Why not 5 years ago?”, as if the Wii U was an immense success and they wanted to do something that was marketed exactly like the Wii again. Now that a decent amount of time has passed, and we’re just over 15 years since the release of the Wii (and given the 6 month delay Nintendo was operating on in 2020, with stuff like Pikmin 3 Deluxe coming out in October instead of April, it’s possible this was also subject to the same kind of delays, and it was meant to come out in November?) it’s honestly the right time to do this again. People are nostalgic for the Wii, the Switch has sold even more than that… Nintendo are in a healthier place to do something like this again. But yeah, I agree with what people are saying, the heavy emphasis on what looks like knockoff, yassified Miis is weird considering they’ve embraced them again a little in the past couple of years, with the port of Miitopia and 51 Worldwide Games, but suggests that Nintendo are still hesitant to re-embrace them as a concept after the Wii U’s failure, even if it makes the game feel kind of weird as a result? The game overall seems a bit confused as a result of this; on one hand, given it’s surprisingly not a port of the Wii U’s HD remake of Wii Sports, it’s trying to do a new take on things and avoid just being Wii Sports, Again But In HD like that was. But on the other hand, it’s blatantly a “hey, Switch owners, Wii Sports, you remember that! It’s back, in HD form” Ultimately it’s going to be interesting to see, and given it’s also using the “update regularly so we can put more games out in a year, we’re not gonna repeat the Wii U’s lack of games” system that we’re all familiar with, it’s going to be a while before we know what the complete game’s going to be like?
  • Finally, Earthbound on NSO. I’m in a weird place where it’s very much my kind of thing, I’ve played bits of stuff influenced by it like Space Funeral and Undertale… but I’ve never gotten round to even glancing at it properly before. From what I’ve played of it so far, enjoying it!
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe getting DLC at all (given it’s called Deluxe, Nintendo’s subtitle for Wii U ports that have their paid DLC bundled in) is weird, let alone 5 years after launch. It looks a bit rough and “direct ports of Mario Kart Tour tracks into MK8’s engine” at the moment, though… which is worrying considering the first wave’s only a month away, and especially worrying given it’s an entire new game’s worth of retro/Mario Kart Tour tracks for half the price of the base game, considering that the original MK8’s DLC was £11 for 16 tracks. Hoping they’ve actually given the devs a decent budget to make these tracks look like they actually fit into MK8’s weird, Real Is Brown art style because man, they brought back actually good Wii tracks like Coconut Mall, I don’t want to see those ones screwed up and meh tracks like Grumble Volcano and Wario’s Gold Mine get the fancy treatment!
  • Hey, new Xenoblade! I know a few people who are gonna be excited by this! I’m not, tho.

The only things I'm really interested in are
  • No man's sky as I played it early after release and found it kinda boring but I've heard it's now every thing they promised and more so I'm tentatively excited to see if I enjoy it more now
  • Kirby and the forgotten land as I think it looks really good and I'm very excited about upgrading copy abilities
  • Portal companion collection as portal 2 is one of my favorite games ever and portal one is right behind it
  • Switch sports maybe? I don't really like how the characters look but if it's fun I could get past it. I do wish there were more sports on it because it will probably be $60 and I don't know if it's worth it yet.
  • Maybe Earthbound because I never played beginnings
  • And possibly the mario kart dlc although I don't like that it's in waves.

The biggest news from this Direct for me was Mario Strikers: Battle League. I was very excited the moment I saw the footage and realized what it was. Super Mario Strikers is one of my favorite sports games ever, and I'm so happy we're finally getting a new entry in the series. Definitely felt long overdue, I can't wait to get it when it releases. The announcement of Switch Sports is also nice and the second biggest highlight of the Direct for me. I enjoyed Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, so I'm looking forward to picking that up.

Aside from those two, some other noteworthy things for me were the Chrono Cross remake, the Live A Live remake (never heard of it before the Direct, but it looks interesting), EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings finally being added to NSO, the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announcement and finally the MK8D DLC announcement. Definitely didn't expect MK8D DLC, though the fact the waves go until the end of 2023 does definitely mean we won't be getting MK9 until 2024 (which at least makes me feel better about having only gotten MK8D in October, lol).

Back