• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Favorite Nintendo 64 games?

ChimeraGilbert said:
L Lawliet said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Original SSB better than SSBB, imo.
How is it better, just because it's older?
Nah, I still like brawl, but the 64 version allows more advanced play.
k..

i'll give it to you that ness was considerably pro in the original, if you knew how to DJC well/quickly. i messed around with him after playing melee for a while to see what he could do (also after reading how crazy high on the tier list he was back then), and he's beast.

but, after playing (/mainin) with him in melee for so long, and knowing MOST (not all) of the tricks, i'd have to disagree, since melee has a plethora of "advanced play" tricks.

unless i really, really missed the boat on the original.

and brawl is just easy-mode.

Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
L Lawliet said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Original SSB better than SSBB, imo.
How is it better, just because it's older?
k..

i'll give it to you that ness was considerably pro in the original, if you knew how to DJC well/quickly. i messed around with him after playing melee for a while to see what he could do (also after reading how crazy high on the tier list he was back then), and he's beast.

but, after playing (/mainin) with him in melee for so long, and knowing MOST (not all) of the tricks, i'd have to disagree, since melee has a plethora of "advanced play" tricks.

Well I'm not sure which I like more, 64 or melee. They severely nerfed Ness for melee, but everyone still had unique tricks (wavedash). But everything is so much slower in Brawl (falling, dodging, moving, etc.).

ChimeraGilbert said:
Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
L Lawliet said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deepolder?
k..

Well I'm not sure which I like more, 64 or melee. They severely nerfed Ness for melee, but everyone still had unique tricks (wavedash). But everything is so much slower in Brawl (falling, dodging, moving, etc.).
well.. ness DID kinda own everyone in the original.. if used right.
him and pikachu.

wavedashing is hardly a unique trick.. really, the only unique tricks came from either the top-tiers, or the horribly awful-tiers.

waveshining, double jump cancelling, and whatever you wanna call mewtwo's basic style are the only things that are unique "tricks". in my opinion.

i picked up ness because he was so awfully nerfed.. and ended up loving him. :3
you just have to feel good about beating uppity bragging people at school, using significantly "worse" characters.

and oh, when you get a crowd. L.O.L.

again.. brawl = easy mode.

Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deepolder
k..

him and pikachu.

wavedashing is hardly a unique trick.. really, the only unique tricks came from either the top-tiers, or the horribly awful-tiers.

waveshining, double jump cancelling, and whatever you wanna call mewtwo's basic style are the only things that are unique "tricks". in my opinion.

you just have to feel good about beating uppity bragging people at school, using significantly "worse" characters.

I guess I didn't mean unique when I mentioned wavedashing, but it is an advanced trick that was taken out of brawl. And tiers hardly matter because I was great with every supposively bad character in melee, like Ness.

ChimeraGilbert said:
Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Psychonaut said:
him and pikachu.

I guess I didn't mean unique when I mentioned wavedashing, but it is an advanced trick that was taken out of brawl. And tiers hardly matter because I was great with every supposively bad character in melee, like Ness.
tires don exits is false.

they do exist.

the only thing that changes them one way or another is how much time and effort the player pours into the character, and even them it's hard to beat the top tiers with the lowest.

i've beaten many a fox/falco, and been beaten by pikachu (in melee), using ness. this doesn't mean he's stronger.. it just means my opponents weren't as good as i was, because i spent way too much time practicing how to use ness. :3

tiers do matter. but being prepared against threats and knowing your character can usually make up for the difference.

unless your opponent is equally prepared.

tl;dr: tiers exist only on the theory that both players are at the same level of play. if both players are as good as one another in every aspect, then the higher tier will win, unless it is a counter-picked character or what have you.

if a higher skill player plays a lower tier, and a lower skill plays a higher tier, it won't work out the same, but if both people are equal, tiers will exist, patterns of wins and losses will emerge.

Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
Psychonaut said:
ChimeraGilbert said:
him and pikachu.

tires don exits is false.

they do exist.

the only thing that changes them one way or another is how much time and effort the player pours into the character, and even them it's hard to beat the top tiers with the lowest.

i've beaten many a fox/falco, and been beaten by pikachu (in melee), using ness. this doesn't mean he's stronger.. it just means my opponents weren't as good as i was, because i spent way too much time practicing how to use ness. :3

tiers do matter. but being prepared against threats and knowing your character can usually make up for the difference.

unless your opponent is equally prepared.

tl;dr: tiers exist only on the theory that both players are at the same level of play. if both players are as good as one another in every aspect, then the higher tier will win, unless it is a counter-picked character or what have you.

if a higher skill player plays a lower tier, and a lower skill plays a higher tier, it won't work out the same, but if both people are equal, tiers will exist, patterns of wins and losses will emerge.
Tiers do exist, but in some situations, like the ones you mentioned, they aren't as important. It seems that the good thing about brawl is that all the characters are a little more even. But some characters are weak to other characters regardless of tiers.

Tiers don't exist. All characters are equally good, you just need to know how to use them. I'm sure a Ganon can beat a noob Meta-Knight. Meta-Knight is the easiest character to be good with.

ACCF18 said:
Tiers don't exist. All characters are equally good, you just need to know how to use them. I'm sure a Ganon can beat a noob Meta-Knight. Meta-Knight is the easiest character to be good with.
bolded where your argument is flawed. the use of tiers as a ranking system takes the presumption of both players being of equal playing skill.

otherwise, yeah, tiers don't exist. but if you get two pros, there are tiers. and they do exist. look at the win/loss ratios that are out there, and then try and disagree.

tiers still exist in brawl, but the game as a whole is a lot more player-friendly, as most people who play it more than 10 hours can pick up any character and be competent with them.

I use samus, and can beat down people until they learn my play style.. then they can easily counter samus.

i think a big factor people don't take into consideration is how much people are threatened by characers, and how much of a surprise it is to fight a character you never fight. if you play against fox for months, and then fight a ness, lucario (not so much, but eh), samus, bowser, etc, your play style will have to adapt quickly, or else the opponent is at a huge advantage.

the thing you're saying that some characters are weak to others is called counter-picking, and yes. marth is a mean, mean counter to ness/lucas, due to infinite grab, sword, and general asshattery.

tiers do exist. end of story.

Back