• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

EDIT: I'm dropping out

I had stated that everyone's experience is different. I'm not invalidating you in the slightest, but if you're going to be too immature to handle discussion properly, then I think we're done here.
im sorry im clearly not understanding something here, how is providing statistics to back up my perspective, then defending my point of view with my personal experience not mature discussion to you? if youre not willing to discuss statistics which are provided yearly by the american people, what are you willing to discuss? its best not to sugarcoat realities to people. OP isnt asking for a discussion around GED stigma, theyre asking for different perspectives on dropping out of hs

Would like to point out I only have 13 credits but I need 24 to graduate
not sure how your school counts credits and course requirements, but it sounds like you’re only halfway done with high school. i’m not sure how you’re considering yourself a senior with only that many credits (unless im understanding this wrong and you didn’t factor in the classes you’re about to finish) when it seems you’re a rising junior credit wise. so it seems you’ll need to take an extra year’s worth of classes (again, i’m not sure what your graduation requirements are but it may be helpful to ask a consular/teacher)

if you are considering getting a GED i would make sure that you also consider when you plan on taking it and how you’ll be studying/get tutoring for the exams. there may be some free online practice exams that you can take to get a general sense of where you are. but again, a school consular may know more and have worked with students considering what you are

not sure how your school counts credits and course requirements, but it sounds like you’re only halfway done with high school. i’m not sure how you’re considering yourself a senior with only that many credits (unless im understanding this wrong) when it seems you’re a rising junior credit wise. so it seems you’ll need to take an extra years worth of classes (again, i’m not sure what your graduation requirements are but it may be helpful to ask a consular/teacher)

if you are considering getting a GED i would make sure that you also consider when you plan on taking it and how you’ll be studying/get tutoring for the exams. there may be some free online practice exams that you can take to get a general sense of where you are. but again, a school consular may know more and have worked with students considering what you are
Well that's my point I only have 13 credits under my belt because I failed a couple of classes unfortunately and this is why I don't think I want to repeat another year of high school it just seems like a waste of time and an embarrassment at that

Well that's my point I only have 13 credits under my belt because I failed a couple of classes unfortunately and this is why I don't think I want to repeat another year of high school it just seems like a waste of time and an embarrassment at that
it’s important to know which classes you failed because what you learned from those classes may be asked in the GED exams. so you may end up have to restudying that material for the exams anyways. a consuler/GED tutor may be more familiar with what you’d need to study more given your grades

it’s important to know which classes you failed because what you learned from those classes may be asked in the GED exams. so you may end up have to restudying that material for the exams anyways. a consuler/GED tutor may be more familiar with what you’d need to study more given your grades
I failed AP biology, Algebra 2, and Engineering honors I don't think most of that is on the GED unless I'm very wrong

Does your high school offer night school? Mine did and there were a decent amount of students who took it to make up credits they had missed so they could graduate on time. It wasn't even really "night" school-- I think it lasted from 2:30 until 6 or so, but since you're working that may cut into the time you have to work.

Does your high school offer night school? Mine did and there were a decent amount of students who took it to make up credits they had missed so they could graduate on time. It wasn't even really "night" school-- I think it lasted from 2:30 until 6 or so, but since you're working that may cut into the time you have to work.
My high school is 9:12 to 3:40 so I don't know about night school

I failed AP biology, Algebra 2, and Engineering honors I don't think most of that is on the GED unless I'm very wrong
some biology is on the science test and algebra is on the math test so you’d probably have to study those yes
Post automatically merged:

have you talked about this with a consoler/teacher?

I'm also not sure how it works in your state, but in mine there was an advanced diploma and then a standard one. The standard one required less credits overall, so if your state has something similar, that might be worth looking into. From the classes you're taking it sounds like you're more on track for the advanced diploma in my state.

My high school is 9:12 to 3:40 so I don't know about night school
Ah I see. I think @Damniel is right and you should consider taking this up with a school counselor or a teacher you really like. They'll know more about which options are best for you at this point in time and can steer you in the right direction probably better than we can.

yea a counselor/teacher would know best about your current academic standing and your city/county/state’s options for tutoring resources for the exams. there are a lot of youtube videos with practice problems so i would suggest trying some of those out and try to identify with yourself and advisor what areas you’d need to focus on for the exams. a counsuelor would also know what classes left you’d need to take, and that course load may be harder or easier than studying for the exams

it’s very valid to choose to get your GED instead, but i think it’s best to make sure you’re well informed and have discussed this with someone with experience with this. it’s completely understandable that you feel the need to take things off due to mental health, but you should try to evaluate which option (finishing HS or studying for GED) is harder emotionally/academically in the long run

I'm seconding the opinions saying you should talk to a school guidance counselor. When I was in high school I very nearly flunked out and I am so grateful to the guidance counselor that helped me figure things out. I'm not sure how things work in the states (I'm from Canada) but my school was able to help me get into a dual credit program where I would go to school in my local college and do my high school courses as well as take a college course each semester. I wouldn't have graduated without the program and I wouldn't have known about the program if it wasn't for my guidance counselors. You may not have the same program available to you but there may be some other alternative that your guidance counselor may know about.

At the very least your guidance counselor will be more fit to tell you whether or not dropping out and pursuing your GED is a route you should take and what steps would be needed to do so.

Whatever you end up doing I wish you the best!

If you're going for medical school that requires a lot of focus and discipline.
they said they wanted to do dentistry, dentists go to dental school they dont take the full med school curriculum like general practitioners do

not sure how your school counts credits and course requirements, but it sounds like you’re only halfway done with high school. i’m not sure how you’re considering yourself a senior with only that many credits (unless im understanding this wrong and you didn’t factor in the classes you’re about to finish) when it seems you’re a rising junior credit wise. so it seems you’ll need to take an extra year’s worth of classes (again, i’m not sure what your graduation requirements are but it may be helpful to ask a consular/teacher)
if OP has 11 credits left, isnt that like 3-4 courses? or how many credits are high school classes anyways?? i would assume 3 or 4 credits based on my college courses lol

oh i highly doubt the GED will skip out the math and sciences if it is a high school equivalency certificate, however, if you consider redoing these courses i can help you with the algebra and engineering but not the biology i suck in that lol

Last edited:
Would like to point out I only have 13 credits but I need 24 to graduate
if OP has 11 credits left, isnt that like 3-4 courses? or how many credits are high school classes anyways?? i would assume 3 or 4 credits based on my college courses lol

they said they needed 24 to graduate and i thought the 24 was for all 4 years since they said they only had 13 credits. i dont know if the 13 credits are their overall credits or what they got this year. my high school did 5 credits each class and i needed like 120 credits or something to graduate. but my college goes off 1 credit for 1 full semester class generally and needs 32 credits to graduate. so yea the way schools consider credits are different and idk how the OP’s school does it

they said they needed 24 to graduate and i thought the 24 was for all 4 years since they said they only had 13 credits. i dont know if the 13 credits are their overall credits or what they got this year. my high school did 5 credits each class and i needed like 120 credits or something to graduate. but my college goes off 1 credit for 1 full semester class generally and needs 32 credits to graduate. so yea the way schools consider credits are different and idk how the OP’s school does it
dang i thought credits represent hours per week, so for my degree i need 140 credits and i generally have classes that are 3-4 credits so thats roughly 3-4 hour classes per week (sometimes 2 hours twice a week etc.) but if your college does 1 credit per course do you take that course an hour a week?

Honestly dropping out isn't your best option. A GED won't get you anywhere not in our time. You can at most work at fast food places or retail for maybe a few dollars above minimal wage. Believe me I too failed a lot of classes butI recovered my credits and now i'm able to graduate. You are so close just keep going. Once you graduate you can clutch that diploma walk across stage and celebrate with friends! Soon you can go to college or votec and be successful. Don't be a drop out it's not even worth it.

idk what a GED is but since you're almost done with school I'd say just get it over with, in my country at least a high school diploma is a requirement for virtually any job (unless you're freelancing) however since idk how your country works or your personal circumstances i cant give a proper advice

edit: also, if you need help in math/physics topics I'd be glad to tutor you
I 100% agree without a diploma you literally be lucky to clean a McDonald's restroom ://

I just..I get you so much I failed pretty much every math in highscool (with geometry I failed it twice I suck at math) history and a few others I can't even think of and I fell asleep on my first act and messed up my second one (I got a 16 I won't even hide it. my add stressed me to the bone) but even with all that my guidance counselor helped me with my struggles even with my friends and mental issues and grades and I finally get to graduate. It'll be so worth to be a positive statistic and not a negative one. I beg of you graduate kick a high school in the a** you got this

Last edited:
dang i thought credits represent hours per week, so for my degree i need 140 credits and i generally have classes that are 3-4 credits so thats roughly 3-4 hour classes per week (sometimes 2 hours twice a week etc.) but if your college does 1 credit per course do you take that course an hour a week?
i got to a private liberal arts college and those colleges like to be special and do things different lol. Here we don't go off credit hours but just call them "Units". I either have a 1.25 hour class twice a week or 2-3 hour seminar. I guess we don't go off the in class hours but more the overall difficulty and rigor of the class

Honestly dropping out isn't your best option. A GED won't get you anywhere not in our time. You can at most work at fast food places or retail for maybe a few dollars above minimal wage. Believe me I too failed a lot of classes butI recovered my credits and now i'm able to graduate. You are so close just keep going. Once you graduate you can clutch that diploma walk across stage and celebrate with friends! Soon you can go to college or votec and be successful. Don't be a drop out it's not even worth it.

I 100% agree without a diploma you literally be lucky to clean a McDonald's restroom ://

I just..I get you so much I failed pretty much every math in highscool (with geometry I failed it twice I suck at math) history and a few others I can't even think of and I fell asleep on my first act and messed up my second one (I got a 16 I won't even hide it. my add stressed me to the bone) but even with all that my guidance counselor helped me with my struggles even with my friends and mental issues and grades and I finally get to graduate. It'll be so worth to be a positive statistic and not a negative one. I beg of you graduate kick a high school in the a** you got this

i understand your sentiment towards finishing HS, but your perception of what a GED can do is pretty wrong. With a GED you can move on to a trade school, join the military, or go to a community/four year college just fine. While socially GEDs are looked down upon than HS degrees, they functionally are the same. Most jobs you can get with only a high school diploma you can still get with a GED. If someone cannot finish high school, getting a GED is not the same as just dropping out without getting one. A person should be fully informed before making a choice like dropping out, but getting a GED if necessary is fine

i got to a private liberal arts college and those colleges like to be special and do things different lol. Here we don't go off credit hours but just call them "Units". I either have a 1.25 hour class twice a week or 2-3 hour seminar. I guess we don't go off the in class hours but more the overall difficulty and rigor of the class

i understand your sentiment towards finishing HS, but your perception of what a GED can do is pretty wrong. With a GED you can move on to a trade school, join the military, or go to a community/four year college just fine. While socially GEDs are looked down upon than HS degrees, they functionally are the same. Most jobs you can with only a high school diploma you can still get with a GED. If someone cannot finish high school, getting a GED is not the same as just dropping out without getting one. A person should be fully informed before making a choice like dropping out, but getting a GED if necessary is fine
Well shi- I need better teachers :// but still,, my ignorance is no excuse! Thank you for imforming me. Still my opinion still stands finishes high school is needed,,

If you're only flunking 2 classes that aren't mandatory by the school district then you can still graduate High School.

As for example I failed Algebra 1 my Sophomore year and that's a mandatory class in order for me to graduate.

So now as a Junior I have to take online summer school for the class in order to graduate.

Also for the pandemic if you were passing alll your classes before than you automatically pass the second/last semester.

And why are you taking a hard class such as AP Bio and Algebra 2?

You could've opted out and taken easier classes such as regular biology for science and either Business Math, Personal Financing, Stats, etc.

But if you're parent's are forcing you to take AP=College level classes then I'm so sorry about that and I feel you.:cry:πŸ˜₯

i would generally advise to speak to a guidance counselor on this topic. even though, yes, a GED is basically an equivalent to a high school diploma, the decision to drop out of high school should not be taken lightly. i'm not sure you would be equipped to handle nursing classes if you cannot handle a high school course load with your personal/health issues.

Well shi- I need better teachers :// but still,, my ignorance is no excuse! Thank you for imforming me. Still my opinion still stands finishes high school is needed,,

Yeah same here I'm also horrible at Math even tho I went to the free tutoring after school I still failed Algebra 1 since my teacher had such a thick accent I couldn't understand her at all and she was bad at teaching. :/

Back