• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

EDIT: I'm dropping out

Jared:3

New Horizons
Bells
Orange (Fruit)
New Horizons Token
Zipper Sakura
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Pink Hybrid Lily
Leif
Lobo
Mint
Chocolate Cake
Father's Day Carnation
So I just made the decision to drop out of high school, I'm 17 almost 18 going into senior year however due to alot of life issues I'm falling high school unfortunately and I think dropping out and getting my GED is a much better option but I want to hear some opinions on this?

What are your life goals? Do you want to go to college? A trade school? What kind of job/career do you think you'd like?

You probably should either have a high school diploma or a GED regardless though. That will help you not only for jobs, but also for additional schooling. Ultimately, jobs are looking for experience and/or schooling in hiring you. If you don't have proof of either of those, your job options will be more limited and, unfortunately, generally pay you a lot less.

I highly recommend it if you honestly think that's the best route for you at this point. Especially if you're super behind and/or dealing with mental health issues. I earned my GED many years ago and I am incredibly happy that I chose that route as my personal path. It was quick, all the tests were easy, and it's possible to graduate sooner than your peers who are still traditionally enrolled in high school.

Just make sure you study for the constitution test or any subject that you're not strong at. My county supplied me with a tutor for math at a local college since that was my only weak subject and some papers to study for the constitution. After that, I was good to go.

What are your life goals? Do you want to go to college? A trade school? What kind of job/career do you think you'd like?

You probably should either have a high school diploma or a GED regardless though. That will help you not only for jobs, but also for additional schooling. Ultimately, jobs are looking for experience and/or schooling in hiring you. If you don't have proof of either of those, your job options will be more limited and, unfortunately, generally pay you a lot less.
I don't think they're asking about whether they should earn their GED or not but rather the decision of dropping out of traditional classes to get a GED instead.

I don't think they're asking about whether they should earn their GED or not but rather the decision of dropping out of traditional classes to get a GED instead.

I understand that, but they didn't post very much. Why do they think they're failing? Are they struggling academically and with learning? If so, the GED might also be a struggle. Are they failing because of attendance due to mental health reasons and being bullied, but still can do most of the work? Then the GED isn't an issue.

I don't think it ultimately matters much if they have a high school diploma or GED. They are treated as the same. They just should get one of them. It sounds like they're only a year away from graduating so I personally think they should try to stick it out and graduate high school if they can. It might be easier to do that than studying for and taking the GED depending on their personal situation.

idk what a GED is but since you're almost done with school I'd say just get it over with, in my country at least a high school diploma is a requirement for virtually any job (unless you're freelancing) however since idk how your country works or your personal circumstances i cant give a proper advice

edit: also, if you need help in math/physics topics I'd be glad to tutor you

I understand that, but they didn't post very much. Why do they think they're failing? Are they struggling academically and with learning? If so, the GED might also be a struggle. Are they failing because of attendance due to mental health reasons and being bullied, but still can do most of the work? Then the GED isn't an issue.

I don't think it ultimately matters much if they have a high school diploma or GED. They are treated as the same. They just should get one of them. It sounds like they're only a year away from graduating so I personally think they should try to stick it out and graduate high school if they can. It might be easier to do that than studying for and taking the GED depending on their personal situation.
Im failing mostly because of life issues that are preventing me from performing better in school, I actually was academically smart in Freshman year of high school but it went downhill in sophomore year when I had to move due to me being put in foster care however when I turn 18 I have to move schools yet again and move to another home which makes me nervous and I'm honestly tired of having depression and moving all the time but my situation is hard to explain unfortunately its alot more than just that.
Post automatically merged:

Because of those life issues and the fact that both of my parents are absent in my life (my dad is an alcoholic and my mom and me are very distant due to her being with my step-dad who is a loser) its hard for me to have any motivation for me to show up for classes and do well anymore

while i graduated high school on time, my mother dropped out of HS. She had immigrated here when she was 16 and lost her mother at 18, so cultural/language barriers and having to support a family without a mother made it too hard for her to finish school. she started working at a salon and developing her english for the next 2 years and got her GED at 20. She got her bachelors in business management at a local college, then got her masters and now works as a director (for management not film) and has a good income. so the decision to drop out and get your GED later is a valid option and many people have done it

though i don’t know the situation you’re in, i would definitely make sure that you have some sort of plan if you chose to make a big decision like dropping out. it’s not a bad choice, but it’s important that you know what you’re doing afterward. a lot of trade schools, military branches, and colleges require that you have a HS diploma or GED to enroll. without either you’re pretty limited in career options, so i would make sure you get either one. i would also suggest talking to whoever you trust the most (preferably an adult family member, coworker/boss, school guidance consuler, teacher you trust or any other adult you are comfortable with) about your decisions and what to do. guidance from them could be really helpful in your decision making process

so TDLR, dropping out is reasonable but make sure you’re thinking about the long term. whether it be getting your GED or some type of career that wouldn’t need that or a HS degree (but i would highly recommend a GED at least)

idk what a GED is but since you're almost done with school I'd say just get it over with, in my country at least a high school diploma is a requirement for virtually any job (unless you're freelancing) however since idk how your country works or your personal circumstances i cant give a proper advice

edit: also, if you need help in math/physics topics I'd be glad to tutor you
a GED is a series of tests in the US you can take that certifies that you have high-school level academic skills. it’s practically the equivalent to a high school diploma in most (if not all) circumstances

Last edited:
Reactions: Taj
Maybe you need a break from highschool. That's what I'm doing rn due to mental illness issues. It doesn't mean you drop out but you get to rest a bit. Good luck on your journey friend. It's so hard to do school when you're battling with depression and moving. :'( *hugs*

I'm very sorry you're having a tough time at home and school OP. All that matters is that you get your diploma in the end. It's totally valid to take time off and maybe work a part-time job (or don't) while you get your mind together. I think if school is that detrimental to your mental health and making it worse given the circumstances you're in, it's fine to take a breather.

College isn't for everyone either, you can consider picking up a trade or military if you're into that. Keep in mind that both require a high school diploma though.

I'm very sorry you're having a tough time at home and school OP. All that matters is that you get your diploma in the end. It's totally valid to take time off and maybe work a part-time job (or don't) while you get your mind together. I think if school is that detrimental to your mental health and making it worse given the circumstances you're in, it's fine to take a breather.

College isn't for everyone either, you can consider picking up a trade or military if you're into that. Keep in mind that both require a high school diploma though.
I'm actually going for dentistry or nursing school luckily my aunt is a nurse and got her GED so I have a bit of guidance but not from anyone else so at least I have an idea as too what I can do

And also I do work as much as I can (I work at Starbucks) but since I'm 17 my hours are limited unfortunately

a GED is a series of tests in the US you can take that certifies that you have high-school level academic skills. it’s practically the equivalent to a high school diploma in most (if not all) circumstances
wish we had those id totally skip high school i hated it lol but if its one and the same then dropping out at a senior-level class shouldn't be too hard to do the test although it may just be easier to finish this last year OP has? idk it seems from the posts that either one is fine as long as its not neither

If you're going for medical school that requires a lot of focus and discipline. I feel like since you're at the end, it's best to try and find a solution that you can work with to finish high school. Life gets tough and wears down on one's mental strength. It's in your hands to find some sort of viable plan that doesn't involve throwing in the towel. I'm not trying to demean you - I understand how hard it can get, especially if home life is bad.

Life is going to constantly be throwing things at you to test your willpower. I'd take this as a personal growth learning experience to try and push through it so that you can achieve your goals. GEDs are fine, but based upon how you described things, I think it's better to try your best to push on.

to be blunt unfortunately- a GED although equivalent to a high school degree still greatly complicates acquiring a higher education (if thats what you want) or a job that has a livable wage :/ senior year is by far the easiest year of high school it could even be a joke! i had 4 electives this year and only went half a day to school. either way, at the end of the day it is your choice to make and likely the wisest thing to do is to speak with your high school guidance counselor!

greatly complicates acquiring a higher education (if thats what you want) or a job that has a livable wage :/
Neither of these statements are true and perpetuates more terrible stigma surrounding the process of obtaining a GED. Like you stated in your post, it's considered equivalent. What matters the most in terms of obtaining a higher education or choice of career is one's SAT/ACT scores regardless of how you finished high school.

Neither of these statements are true and perpetuates more terrible stigma surrounding the process of obtaining a GED. Like you stated in your post, it's considered equivalent. What matters the most in terms of obtaining a higher education or choice of career is one's SAT/ACT scores regardless of how you finished high school.
you take your sat at the beginning of your senior year though, i dont know how it works if you arent enrolled. Also statistically speaking, none of my own sentiments involved, those holding a highschool diploma earn $1,600 more on average monthly, than those with a GED according to the bureau of labor statistics. furthermore, less than 5% of those with a GED earn bachelors degrees and this is according to the US census bureau. you can go ahead and discredit my statements but please at least give me some credible counterarguments. OP asked for our 2 cents so im free to give mine, as blunt and rash it may be :/ thats not to say that GED holders cannot go on to have well paying careers and job opportunities overall in life, but statistically, and as unfortunate as it may be, it is less likely to be that way.

Last edited:
you take your sat at the beginning of your senior year though, i dont know how it works if you arent enrolled. Also strictly statistically speaking, none of my own sentiments involved, those holding a highschool diploma earn $1,600 more on average monthly, than those with a GED according to the bureau of labor statistics. furthermore, less than 5% of those with a GED earn bachelors degrees and this is according to the US census bureau. you can go ahead and discredit my statements but please at least give me some credible counterarguments. OP asked for our 2 cents so im free to give mine, as blunt and rash it may be :/ thats not to say that GED holders cannot go on to have well paying careers and job opportunities overall in life, but statistically, and as unfortunate as it may be, it is less likely to be that way.
You take the SAT/ACTs separately at a high school during the weekend at a schedule date. I honestly don't care about debating statistics with you; I just wanted to say that it's considered equivalent, as you already stated yourself and that SAT and ACT scores matter more than anything. It's completely separate.

Everyone's situation is different and making such bold, generic statements saying that one will never be able to earn a livable wage because they choose (or are forced to) an alternative method to graduate that is equivalent to a traditional high school diploma is not only false and demeaning, but keeps the stigma alive. I'm not intending to sound rude. I know you haven't personally gone through it, but it's best not to make statements like that.

You take the SAT/ACTs separately at a high school during the weekend at a schedule date. I honestly don't care about debating statistics with you; I just wanted to say that it's considered equivalent, as you already stated yourself and that SAT and ACT scores matter more than anything. It's completely separate.

Everyone's situation is different and making such bold, generic statements saying that one will never be able to earn a livable wage because they choose (or are forced to) an alternative method to graduate that is equivalent to a traditional high school diploma is not only false and demeaning, but keeps the stigma alive. I'm not intending to sound rude. I know you haven't personally gone through it, but it's best not to make statements like that.
my mom dropped out of high school because she was a teen mom 😂 she has a ged and we struggle to make ends meet every day. she worked hard to become a nurse to keep our family afloat but she tells us every day that not sticking it through was probably the worst thing she ever did. its not about keeping a stigma alive or not, its about the difficult situations that families are forced to face every day. i dont mean to sound rude, but its best to not make statements like that. also, its extremely irresponsible to turn a blind eye to information that the government gives the US public to better our quality of life, just FYI :D

my mom dropped out of high school because she was a teen mom 😂 she has a ged and we struggle to make ends meet every day. she worked hard to become a nurse to keep our family afloat but she tells us every day that not sticking it through was probably the worst thing she ever did. its not about keeping a stigma alive or not, its about the difficult situations that families are forced to face every day. i dont mean to sound rude, but its best to not make statements like that. also, its extremely irresponsible to turn a blind eye to information that the government gives the US public to better our quality of life, just FYI :D
I had stated that everyone's experience is different. I'm not invalidating you in the slightest, but if you're going to be too immature to handle discussion properly, then I think we're done here.

Back