• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

EDIT: I'm dropping out

I agree with the others above, please speak to a guidance counselor about this, they will be the most informed about your conditions, school regulations/requirements, and options based on your location. Is there any easier classes you can take that will still allow you to get a diploma? Seems like you are taking a lot of harder classes like AP bio. I wonder if there's any classes you can take that don't affect graduation? I remember we had social studies 30-2 which is a much easier social studies class that you can take and it doesn't affect your graduation/application to post secondary.
GED is definitely is an option if right now is a difficult time in your life and you'd like to finish your studies at a later time.

I do want to point out that if you do decide to take a GED, there's also financial costs that you need to take into account especially if you're looking into getting in post secondary school. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even if you get a GED, they look at your high school grades when applying for post secondary school. The GED itself costs money to take too, and you will likely need upgrading after getting your GED to get into the program of your choice. Depending on where you live and the program you want, it can cost a few thousands $ and over a year to finish upgrading.
So imo, taking an extra year to finish high school with better grades will be much more cost efficient than having to spend thousands of dollars out of your pocket for upgrading.

I don't have much advice, but you are so close to finishing - I would try and stick it out honestly. Not having a high school diploma will only make it harder, but not impossible honestly. My husband never finished high school and he was able to find a job... but it took years

I do want to point out that if you do decide to take a GED, there's also financial costs that you need to take into account especially if you're looking into getting in post secondary school. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even if you get a GED, they look at your high school grades when applying for post secondary school. The GED itself costs money to take too, and you will likely need upgrading after getting your GED to get into the program of your choice. Depending on where you live and the program you want, it can cost a few thousands $ and over a year to finish upgrading.
So imo, taking an extra year to finish high school with better grades will be much more cost efficient than having to spend thousands of dollars out of your pocket for upgrading.
May I ask what this upgrading is that you're talking about? I'm curious and have never heard of this. GED costs vary between states but it's usually around 140 dollars for all the tests combined. I certainly didn't have thousands and I didn't go through any sort of upgrading (?) to be able to attend post secondary school in my state.
When you finish your GED, you get a transcript of the scores from the tests you took and that's what the school accepts. College faculty also looks at the scores from your SAT or ACT test. I just wanted to clarify because I feel like OP is getting a bunch of misinformation from this thread.

May I ask what this upgrading is that you're talking about? I'm curious and have never heard of this. GED costs vary between states but it's usually around 140 dollars for all the tests combined. I certainly didn't have thousands and I didn't go through any sort of upgrading (?) to be able to attend post secondary school in my state.
When you finish your GED, you get a transcript of the scores from the tests you took and that's what the school accepts. College faculty also looks at the scores from your SAT or ACT test. I just wanted to clarify because I feel like OP is getting a bunch of misinformation from this thread.
I'm from Canada so it's probably different from the states. But basically, if your high school grades aren't high enough for the competitive average when applying for post secondary schools, you need to upgrade. The competitive average is the average grade between 3-5 high school classes the university looks at and you compete with other students to get into the program. I saw that OP wants to go into dentistry and nursing which are quite competitive programs here. I got into nursing from high school and the competitive average was ~85-95% depending on the school you want to go to. Upgrading means going to a university to retake your high school classes once or multiple times until you have grades high enough to get into the program you want. We don't get SAT or ACT, which is why I mentioned that it's best that they talk to their counselor because how you get into post secondary/graduate is different everywhere in the world.

I'm from Canada so it's probably different from the states. But basically, if your high school grades aren't high enough for the competitive average when applying for post secondary schools, you need to upgrade. The competitive average is the average grade between 3-5 high school classes the university looks at and you compete with other students to get into the program. I saw that OP wants to go into dentistry and nursing which are quite competitive programs here. I got into nursing from high school and the competitive average was ~85-95% depending on the school you want to go to. Upgrading means going to a university to retake your high school classes once or multiple times until you have grades high enough to get into the program you want. We don't get SAT or ACT, which is why I mentioned that it's best that they talk to their counselor because how you get into post secondary/graduate is different everywhere in the world.
Gotcha! Thank you for letting me know. 🙂

My point was that whatever they were going into, especially the medical field, it requires a lot of discipline and willpower to get through the curriculum.
i get you, just wanted to point it out since a lot of people think dentists go to med school :)

OP, if there is a school guidance counsellor or teacher that you are close with at school, please take the time to speak with them and lay out your plans. They'll be able to offer much more personalized advice than any of us can, however well-meaning we may all be! It's tough for me to be able to give you advice without knowing more about your personal or academic background.

You mention that you're interested in going into the medical field. This is a decision that will require further education (whether in medical school or not), a great deal of personal motivation, and good school grades. Of course, your own mental and physical health is extremely important. If you are interested in pursuing this path, I would go with the route that best sets you up for succeeding in it.

Knowing what I do, however, I would advise you to stay in high school for now. You've got many of your credits already completed, and you're very close to the end! Staying in high school for example, will allow you to preview important classes that will be key in your medical studies like biology (a requirement for my university's nursing program) in a classroom environment. Public high school is also free, and you will likely have much more free and easily accessible resources available to you than if you pursued a GED.

To take the GED, you need to pay money to take the test, and may decide to pay an additional fee to take in-person classes that help you study for it. Self-studying is another option, but you mentioned that you are having issues with motivation; when you don't have teachers looking after you and your education is in your own hands, it's possible it'll be harder for you to keep up - or it could be really encouraging for you because you'll get to set more of your own boundaries! You'll learn how to pass the GED test, but going to traditional high school may better equip you with the general skills to succeed in post-secondary education, which is necessary to gain entrance into some programs that do not accept students in first-year. Nursing is typically one of them in my country; you need good college grades in certain prerequisite college classes to get your foot into that program, as it's often highly competitive.

I think the decision you make, whether it be continuing with high school or going with a GED, should be the one that will be best for you in the long term. I personally think staying in high school is the better bet for now, but whatever you choose, I'm rooting for you! Best of luck.

As someone who did drop out of school I would advise against it. When I decided one year later to return to education it was more difficult, more expensive, and added additional years onto the process.

op i was in a similar predicament a few years ago— i was 17 going on 18 heading into my second semester of senior year when i just couldn’t attend school anymore due to mental health issues. i wanted to so badly drop out, despite the fact i was so close to graduating, but fortunately i went with my gut and decided to do independent study (a form of homeschooling in a way). it helped me set aside time to heal and focus on myself and i ended up graduating with honours!

my best advice is to speak to a counsellor. look into/ask if your school offers independent study or some sort of homeschooling if it’s an option. i attended school once a week in a separate location off campus and had independent sessions with my assigned teacher, and i also picked the classes that i was interested in taking. it was the best decision i made for my health and for my academic career. pm me if you ever need someone to talk to :~]

Don't drop out. There's my advice.
Pretty much this. I don't know about the US but here in my city in Canada, it's really tough to live even with a college degree. I couldn't imagine trying to make a living and afford rent without high school. I obviously haven't looked into the options but I would do intense research to have a plan.

I'mma say it again don't drop out. It's not even worth it. Especially if you live in America you'll get no where without a diploma that's just the fact of life. :/

If I'm being honest I would just stick to high school and work hard to get it done, but if you feel getting the GED is a better path then that's your decision. You're going to need a plan if you're going to go through with it.

Bumping this, took alot of time to think and read the thread and definitely I'm scared to drop out now but I'm afraid that I can't finish high school under my current conditions.

Last edited:
I haven't really researched much (I'm in high school too, so I know kind of how it works?), but I'm hoping you stay in school. Even if you have to repeat school, it's not like it's going to be for bad reasons, right? You work hard, and if you fall short, you try again. I would say try homeschooling if that is an option, that seems like a safe bet in your current situation. Sorry if this doesn't help at all, but my final decision would be to stay in school and try homeschooling if you can. (Also, I would highly advise talking to a counselor! Thay can give you some insight that you might not have.)

Bumping this, took alot of time to think and read the thread and definitely I'm scared to drop out now but I'm afraid that I can finish high school under my current conditions.
Speak to a counselor. Their opinion is more valid than strangers on an Animal Crossing forum. They know your situation better than any of us.

This should be your first step to bettering your situation. I'm sure it's scary to face but it has to be addressed proactively.

Good luck.

So I have a friend who dropped out of high school for personal reasons - smart enough guy but has absolutely no discipline. Tried to get his GED but couldn’t stick with it — it actually does require a certain amount of studying and knowledge, it’s not necessarily the “easy out.”

If you are disciplined enough to actually get it, then that could be a good option for you. However, I would suggest finishing high school. Though it seems tough now, I think you’ll ultimately be glad you did it.

I would say to ask your counselor about taking easier classes for this year or for your Senior year.

Also if you'rs school has an option for summer school I would say to sign up for it since the class is only for 2hrs per subject/class you need to make up credit for.

Bumping this, took alot of time to think and read the thread and definitely I'm scared to drop out now but I'm afraid that I can't finish high school under my current conditions.
Even if it takes you an extra year or so I'm sure you can finish high school someway or another. You're not doomed. Speak to a councilor or someone like that at school. They're there to help you pass! It may take extra work but you'll be laughing in the future when you're able to get the job you want from all the hard work you did in high school!

If you'd like to drop out, drop out. There's always a route to go to community/state college to get your AA, then you can go to university. Do your GED at the very least. If you need a break now, take a break now. It won't impact long-term academic goals, it won't prevent you from following your dreams, and it won't prevent you from figuring out what you want to do. It just takes an alternate path.

You're in high school, you probably wont need to study for the exam (if I'm honest). Utilize academic advisers and ensure that you have a plan for the future. Don't plan on a GED for the rest of your life -- unless you're going into a trade.

Back