• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Does This Game Have A Story?

axaniao

previously ecstasy
Bells
Switch
8356-0736-5695
Island
Alternia
My Melody Easter Egg
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Tasty Cake
Blue Heart Balloon
Red Heart Balloon
Space Whale Plush
Bluebird of Happiness Plush
Snowflake Glow Wand
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pink Moon Jellyfish
I heard that this game has a story in it and K.K. is associated with it somehow. I looked it up and can't find anything on it. Is this true or not?

Animal Crossing has never really had a story, it’s the story you make. There are of course stories behind the characters though.

I sure hope not. One of the things I love so much is the lack of any sort of linear objectives.

There might be a light theme but no story or plot or ending. The closest your going to get is the npcs have some kind of background. It extremely open ended, its what you make of it.

Last edited:
I heard in a review that there's a little bit of a story that ends around the time the game fully opens up, but it made it sound more like a lengthy tutorial, or background as to WHY you're here on that island. My guess is there'll be a tiny little story and then it's just what you make of it.

Yes. This is a sequel to New Leaf. At the end of New Leaf it was discovered that the town's mayor was a corrupt politician who was hoarding the villagers money and secretly running the village into the ground. One night the mayor attempted to skip town on a train with all of the villages money. The villager started a riot and captured the mayor.

This brings us to New Horizons. The mayor is now being forced into exile on a deserted island and being forced to do manual labor in lieu of jail time. He/She must now reflect on their life choices and choose their own path. It's a story of redemption really.

Yes. This is a sequel to New Leaf. At the end of New Leaf it was discovered that the town's mayor was a corrupt politician who was hoarding the villagers money and secretly running the village into the ground. One night the mayor attempted to skip town on a train with all of the villages money. The villager started a riot and captured the mayor.

This brings us to New Horizons. The mayor is now being forced into exile on a deserted island and being forced to do manual labor in lieu of jail time. He/She must now reflect on their life choices and choose their own path. It's a story of redemption really.

Proof? Or just a troll..? I can't really tell at this point

Last edited:
Proof? Or just a troll..? I can't really tell at this point

Just a joke I would assume haha, this game has never really catered to stories/storytelling just relaxing fun and no end-goals to meet at all : ) But as pointed out, there could be bits of something in here?

If anyone was hoarding money it was the villagers themselves!! I PAID FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR PWPs OUT OF MY OWN POCKET BY BREAKING MY BACK EVERY NIGHT FISHING FOR SHARKS ON THE ISLAND.

I'm innocent I tell you!! INNOCENT!

If anyone was stealing money in New Leaf it was Isabelle.

I never saw a paycheck for my job as Mayor, so I ask. "Where is the tax money going?"

If anyone was stealing money in New Leaf it was Isabelle.

I never saw a paycheck for my job as Mayor, so I ask. "Where is the tax money going?"

She was running a Ponzi scheme funded by your donations towards the Public Works Projects.

Maybe it was going into keeping Tortimer on life support, healthcare is expensive you know

Last edited:
i’m assuming it doesn’t - while ac games have never really had stories attached to them, npcs do have backstories for the most part, so maybe we’ll get to know more about k.k slider in this game?

I wouldn't be surprised if we had some short NPC 'story' through dialogue, like we did in the older games. Like in City Folk, Tom Nook will tell you about Mabel and Sable's relationship with Labelle, and Mabel will tell you she's been receiving letters with money from a 'faraway relative', etc. It's not really a plot, just the game playing out some backstory.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had some short NPC 'story' through dialogue, like we did in the older games. Like in City Folk, Tom Nook will tell you about Mabel and Sable's relationship with Labelle, and Mabel will tell you she's been receiving letters with money from a 'faraway relative', etc. It's not really a plot, just the game playing out some backstory.

i would love this! i remember hearing sable's story about tom nook and her birthday and it was honestly the cutest thing ever

bbb.jpg

From IGN's review - basically confirms that there is gonna be some kind of storyline to motivate you to develop the island!

AC's always had "lore", so to speak. The background of the Able Sisters and Sable's connection to Tom is a great example, along with Pelly and Pete's rumored relationship. I think that's what OP meant by story.
And yeah, it's been confirmed there's development of that kind in New Horizons, which is great. New Leaf didn't have much of that at all, it was pretty unchanging. Not even Isabelle developed that much as a character, it's odd to me.

Last edited:
Back