• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anyone else send their neighbors mean letters?

Yes I do. Ugly villagers deserve mean letters.

I also sent Tangy a welcome letter and she responded something like "Thanks for you letter. It made me feel welcome to the town.''

I was like o_O
You understand what I say?

All the time. It's kind of sad how much more relieved I feel after... ._.

I sent a rude letter to one of my villagers about their ugly shirt and attached a better shirt as a present on the letter.
The next day they were wearing it hah

I tried that one day. It didn't work. :(

I also have told a villager to change their stupid catchphrase. That didn't work either.

I did ask one villager to suggest a new public works project. And the next day she did! Probably coincidence, but still!

I've never sent a mean letter! I'm already so attached to all of my villagers... T-T Biff and Phoebe are the only ones that I'm sort of meh toward, but every town needs to have the unpopular crowd, right? Haha!

I got Mira as one of my starting villagers for my island reset and I send her dirty cans and ugly shirts in the mail with “You’re ugly. Leave.” On the letter and she still won’t leave 😭

i mostly sent kind and/or random letters to my villagers since i didn’t like being mean to them (still don’t, even the ‘ugly’ ones lol), but i did on occasion send a mean one. i remember i sent a strongly-worded letter or 2 to al when he moved in, crushed a patch of hybrids with his house, and refused to move out for several months. 🤣 i still hate him LOL.

man, this thread is old...

Lol this reminds me of something I used to do on Wild World when I was younger.

I made a second character besides my main one, and I had a “headcanon” personality for her. Basically, she was supposed to be a troublemaker, and I would use her to be mean to the other villagers.

One of the things I did was have her send letters that were complete gibberish and she would either get a sad or sarcastic response from the villagers.

I remember Rasher sending her something like “you’re better off hiring a starving poet to write”. I feel a bit bad, because some of the villagers were actually good. But she had to be “in character”.

I even sent letters to my main character and pretended they had a “rivalry”.

I don’t. It’s rude and there’s really no point. Even if the villagers could understand, I couldn’t imagine them doing anything so bad to justify a nasty letter. Although, more power to the people who like sending mean letters to villagers they dislike.

It’s been a loooong time, but I’m pretty sure in NL there were key words you could use in letters that would cause villagers to reply as if they understood you.
Welcome, thank you, (town name), birthday, friend …are a couple off the top of my head.

I think NH reeled that in pretty big though. They only seem to understand ‘welcome’ this time around…and if you send them anything a day or two before their birthday, they reply as if you’ve sent them a birthday greeting/gift.

I wasn't above such action when I was younger and there was a villager who I wanted to move out of town to make room for someone I wanted as a permanent resident. It's probably not something I would do nowadays though.

I may have done it at some point but I feel kind of bad about doing it. If I don't like a villager I just ignore them instead.

Heck no! They've never been mean to me, so why should I be mean to them? I think the meanest things I'd write in a letter would be in a playful/jokey kind of meanness.

Back