• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anyone else crochet?

Oh my gosh your first project is amaze-beans. I LOVE that border.
Thanks! ❤️ This is the tutorial I followed for the border.

In other news, I was browsing Ravelry for a simple filet crochet animal-themed baby blanket for a friend's upcoming arrival... and well... I may or may not have just ordered 22 skeins of yarn for an incredibly complex 30-animal granny square blanket. No one tell my partner. 🙈

I second Mimi Cheems' recommendation of Bella Coco Crochet! Her YouTube tutorials are how I learned to crochet - I find the way she films really helpful in seeing & understanding exactly what movements to make with the hook, if that makes sense. Plus, all of her YouTube tutorials & patterns have left- & right-handed versions, which was extremely helpful to me as a leftie. I also found it really helpful to slow down the videos to 0.5 or even 0.25 speed!
It can be frustrating to start, but once you get the hang of it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

HuzfNd9.jpg

thank you both so much for your recommendation! between forgetting which stitch is what and how to make a slip knot/magic circle i keep referring to the video @Mimi Cheems linked and it's helped a ton! i've started the same project over and over again (a granny square but i unraveled it because i kept getting confused OTL) but now i've started a little flip-phone/note pad holder for my grandpa. i've got a ways to go but i've gotten the hang of the single stitch? (i already forget what it's called 😳) it's a bit tight though since i'm still figuring out hand positions and how tight to pull the string, i feel like this shows how tense of a person i am because i was tugging for dear life
jfv5ola.png
so i just have to continue until it's long enough to fold over and fit his phone/notepad. i just finished this heart up that i'm going to try to stick on it but it gave me a hard time. i couldn't get my hands steady enough to keep the string tight but i feel like it actually looks like a heart so i'll keep it!

still a wip but thought i'd share because this is the first thing where i've gotten this far + didn't get confused and unravel it
jfv5ola.png

IMG_1009.jpg

thank you both so much for your recommendation! between forgetting which stitch is what and how to make a slip knot/magic circle i keep referring to the video @Mimi Cheems linked and it's helped a ton! i've started the same project over and over again (a granny square but i unraveled it because i kept getting confused OTL) but now i've started a little flip-phone/note pad holder for my grandpa. i've got a ways to go but i've gotten the hang of the single stitch? (i already forget what it's called 😳) it's a bit tight though since i'm still figuring out hand positions and how tight to pull the string, i feel like this shows how tense of a person i am because i was tugging for dear life
jfv5ola.png
so i just have to continue until it's long enough to fold over and fit his phone/notepad. i just finished this heart up that i'm going to try to stick on it but it gave me a hard time. i couldn't get my hands steady enough to keep the string tight but i feel like it actually looks like a heart so i'll keep it!

still a wip but thought i'd share because this is the first thing where i've gotten this far + didn't get confused and unravel it
jfv5ola.png

IMG_1009.jpg
You're doing such a great job! The stitch work looks so neat and clean! ;v;
I used to be really bad with my stitches. I always made them so tight that it made the project look really wonky.

Update on the blanky btw;

IMG_5153.jpg
:3
I messed up the last time I had to swap colors. I cut to the knot too closely and the stitches broke. T^T But I think I saved it.. maybe..

I crochet! I've been crochetting for about 6 months and I have found my favourite hobby and I crochet everyday. I love it so much and I've made MANY projects, from hats to bags (currently working on a granny square tote bag) to plushies and plushie sets. I just finished on a plush Celeste chick plush! I love love @Laudine's chick plush and I missed out on it at the fair so I decided to make one myself after a long time of regretting lol.

(no pattern available I made it up as I went lol)

PXL_20230107_114446740.jpg

I also made this cassowary for my dad for Christmas
PXL_20221222_205849534.jpg

and this shoulder bag!
PXL_20221212_101111502.jpg

ok that's enough I'm sorry I don't have anywhere to share my passion outside of friends and family lol

I just bought $75 worth of yarn+ 2 new crochet hooks from JOANNs.. I wanna finish the blanket I'm working on, but wasn't sure if I'd have enough yarn. So I bought 2 more skeins of the same color, and 4 new skeins of two different colors so I can make a matching blanky for me c:

I personally love Lion Brand's Pound of Love Acrylic Yarn! It was only $8.99 instead of $12 on the JOANN website! I saved so much, and was able to buy some CARON Simply Soft yarn as well. I was thinking of making a border for both blankets, but I'm not exactly sure how to make one. I think it was @LaBelleFleur who had a really nice border on their blanket T^T Was it easy to make your border? :0

Just wondering but has anyone ever used/tried milk cotton yarn? I bought a crochet cardigan pattern and it looks like the seller uses milk cotton yarn, which isn't really a widely available yarn where I'm located.

I want a yarn that's chunky but soft (hopefully softer than 100% wool) and was hoping milk cotton yarn was soft and chunky before I took the plunge for a skein!

I think it was @LaBelleFleur who had a really nice border on their blanket T^T Was it easy to make your border? :0
Sorry, I saw this last week and totally forgot to reply! I thought it was fairly easy (it’s pretty repetitive and the border itself is only one round), but no matter what you decide to go with, I highly recommend doing a round of single crochet before you start in on your border. It just gives you a nice edge and clean stitches to work into, since on two of the four blanket sides you’ll be working into the sides of your stitches on the first round which (I think) can be kind of difficult. It also helps to ensure you do the same number of stitches on each side so your final border doesn’t end up lopsided!

I can’t wait to see your finished blanket! ❤️

I bought $75 worth of yarn from Joanns last week. And it finally came today!

I also got this really pretty resin hook ^^ 5 mm.

Here's everything!

1C82A075-6F35-4840-912F-22EA6313DAB5.jpg

Don't let the box fool you, there's about 3 more skeins of Lion Brand Pound of Love in there! I also got Caron's Simply Soft in grey, two of them. But I already took them out of the box, lol.

IMG_5317.jpg

and here's the hook!

I do not crochet but I LOVE what people can do with it! Its all so cute and cozy looking! My Chinese grandma (PoPo) loves crocheting and I always see her making little scarfs and blankets when we visit. Its so fun and maybe one day I could get into making those little items and warm ensembles.

I’ve been watching some videos on YouTube of people making Barbie clothes by knitting and crocheting. I’m planning on trying it for Lol Surprise OMG dolls. The biggest challenge will be figuring out the adjustments for the neck for the sweaters and poncho since OMGs have bigger heads.

Thanks for starting this and adding good beginner Videos.
About 20 years ago I learnt how to do all the Stitches and was able to make a Granny Square with a pattern that had step by step instructions. Tried other patterns and wasn't able to read them.

After watching the Bella Coco videos I was able to complete some Granny Squares that were all the same size. Last week I found a Rectangle Granny Blanket online and was able to read the pattern thanks to Bella Coco. With lots of practice using different yarn I'm ready to give it a try with some Pound of Love Yarn.

Crochet is a nice when I need a break from a Knitting project that has 5 balls of yarn attached. Crochet Reddit as links on the right hand side to help beginners and answer questions. There was one just for Granny Squares and had a step by step instruction/ pictures for a basic square with a printed pattern.

i've stopped for a while but have been back to crocheting this past little bit and have been working on a hat!....except it ended up being way too wide. i think i can see some improvement in the stitch work because i'm not tugging so hard and i'm not as tense while holding my crochet hook
jfv5ola.png
it was supposed to be one of those 'cat ear' hats where the corners perk up to look like ears 😥 i also made the mistake of making the yarn i was pulling from visible from the front and i don't think i can fix it.... 💀 i think what ended up happening towards the fourth or fifth row is i was adding a double crochet into the previous row's chain two instead of skipping that and slip stitching into the dc after the chain 2 😵 if my rambling makes any sense... here's the semi complete project!
IMG_1256.jpg

i haven't decided if i want to just make this into a bag or a pouch or to chain little straps that can be used to tie the hat on tighter. i'm pressing a couple of yellow stars i made with crochet to smooth them out and might consider attaching them onto the straps but we'll see!

Last edited:
I don't crochet like all the time, but I did it a few times. I made a thick blanket so I could stay warm during Civil War reenacmtents during the winter time. I guess I did such a good job and it looked great that I didn't want to end up using it for its intended purpose. It would most likely end up getting really dirty or ruined because camping is just that way when you have to do it in period-style. So now I just put it on my bed during winter and it keeps my toesies warm.

I'm trying to learn it, it's been a struggle.
Same for me. I’m also trying to learn to knit and I can’t get things started correctly at all. I mostly want to create fashion doll clothes and items specifically for the Lol Surprise OMG dolls since they have better quality to them and have various skin tones than Barbie. The OMGs have larger hips similar to what Barbie used to have between the late 70s and mid 90s and a torso slightly larger than a Bratz doll. I think crochet and knit clothing and accessories would look good on them.

wow I loved scrolling through this thread - the talent! I’ve never really been great at textile arts, but I have a friend that’s super into crocheting. they’ve made a handful of small things for me that i love! hope it’s okay to share one here - thought it might be of interest since it’s animal crossing related.

9SjCqY2.jpg

I was actually just looking for a crochet thread or animal crossing crafts thread Just Now! Im so happy to find this cause, yes I love crocheting! I'm currently finishing a project and then I am going to start crocheting Ketchup from animal crossing obviously because I recently got a pattern for her! Here's a picture of a base body I was working on a while ago!
Screenshot_20230916_163942_Gallery.jpg

It's come a little farther since this photo was taken, I added another arm and added some details! Still working on the legs : )
Post automatically merged:

wow I loved scrolling through this thread - the talent! I’ve never really been great at textile arts, but I have a friend that’s super into crocheting. they’ve made a handful of small things for me that i love! hope it’s okay to share one here - thought it might be of interest since it’s animal crossing related.

9SjCqY2.jpg
I love the froggy chair!!! So cute > 3 <

I've dabbled in crochet. I'm not good but it's fun! I don't have any pictures right now but I've made a blanket out of granny squares and some bunting that looks like autumn leaves. I have a huge pile of yarn in my room because I haven't done any in a long time hahaha, but I've been thinking of picking it back up if I can decide on a project.

Back