• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Does anyone else crochet?

Bells
Switch
8176-7113-6911
Island
Ino
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Eevee Easter Egg
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Dreamy Easter Egg
Golden Scenery
Dreamy Easter Egg
Golden Scenery
Dreamy Easter Egg
I searched FAR and WIDE on the forums for a crocheting thread. I came out from the depths pretty much empty handed.

That is why I'm here!

Talk about hook sizes, your favorite brands of yarn, or just ramble about your projects! I'll go first.

Before I begin, here are some basic videos for those who want to learn how to crochet!

Left Handed Tutorial: Left Handed
Right Handed Tutorial: Right Handed

This lady helped me immensely throughout learning how to crochet! I am still a beginner at best, but this is how I learned!​

I made a scarf for my guy a few months ago. He really liked it, but I messed up close to the end.. You know at the beginning row of chains, there's the thread from the slipknot? I cut too close to the knot and IT FRAYED?!?!?! I had to tie it back and crochet in another color.. So it looked a lil' wonky. I knew I had to do the other end with the same color, or else it'd look weird. So, instead of it being a light blue scarf, it is now black and blue.. T^T BUT! What truly matters is he REALLY likes it AND wears it.
Most of my designs are basic due to being a beginner and not understanding the little acronyms for the stitching terms. But, we can all learn together!

I'm currently working on a purple and black blanket now c:

Last edited:
this is so wild because i was just looking through tik toks for any tips for beginners before seeing this thread lol i have been thinking about starting in the new year but felt kinda nervous? kinda like i don't really know where to start. i do like to sew (just simple hand stitches and simple embroidery from time to time) something about making something out of a pile of thread/yarn is so mesmerizing to me!

this is so wild because i was just looking through tik toks for any tips for beginners before seeing this thread lol i have been thinking about starting in the new year but felt kinda nervous? kinda like i don't really know where to start. i do like to sew (just simple hand stitches and simple embroidery from time to time) something about making something out of a pile of thread/yarn is so mesmerizing to me!
It is a very fun activity! It keeps my hands busy and it's also what helped me stop smoking cigarettes, funnily enough. I was so focused on the project that I forgot all about wanting to go smoke. It's immensely helpful for me; keeps me distracted from my mental issues, keeps me busy when I want to obsess over situations and such. I can add links in the main post for what helped me learn, if that helps! :>

PS: I wanted to talk about my crochet bag.. Does anyone else have one? I bought one from Amazon to keep my yarn, thread markers, needles, and hooks in. It's roomy, and keeps everything in there nice and neat!

IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
IMG_5036.jpg

I crochet!
I'm not super great at it. I can't figure out stuffed animals and I'm really bad at reading patterns, but I can make decent scarves and blankets/afghans. I'm actually almost done with a project I started in november that I had set aside because the holidays distracted me. I would love to see some of your projects! The scarf you made i'm SURE came out amazing. We always notice our mistakes but... mostly i notice no one else ever does lol
Nice bag btw! I just bought a bunch cause I was trying to find a size I like and.... now i ended up with a few lol
Also i'm soooo glad to see someone else using the clunky hooks. I feel so fumbly with the ones that don't have a grip lol

Don't stress and stuff! Honestly crocheting can be super relaxing even if all you ever do is make blankets like I do. Don't feel nervous <3 You'll do great, I'm sure.
My advice is to check out youtube instead of tiktok though, because I know on youtube they have great tutorials and you can slow down the video to watch easier.

I just started this year (edit I forgot that we’re in 2023 lol… I guess I meant to say I started around may of 2022 🤣), one of my friends does and introduced it to me. So far I’ve mad a couple amigurumis but I think I might do clothing items and bags at some points
90EE3257-7F88-4E2F-A6E1-46C47C68D1E3.jpeg

The most recent one I’ve made is this strawberry cupcake bear that I loveeee

I’m also very proud of this bee I made a few months ago
C7366011-3E3F-45B9-9ABA-D16E08FDB09D.jpeg

So far I’ve just used acrylic yarn from Walmart lol. But I’m currently working on a strawberry cow using chunky yarn for the first time ☺️

Last edited:
I just started this year (edit I forgot that we’re in 2023 lol… I guess I meant to say I started around may of 2022 🤣), one of my friends does and introduced it to me. So far I’ve mad a couple amigurumis but I think I might do clothing items and bags at some points
View attachment 476597
The most recent one I’ve made is this strawberry cupcake bear that I loveeee

I’m also very proud of this bee I made a few months ago View attachment 476598

So far I’ve just used acrylic yarn from Walmart lol. But I’m currently working on a strawberry cow using chunky yarn for the first time ☺️

Oh I'm so jealous!!! I wish I could make those.

Don't stress and stuff! Honestly crocheting can be super relaxing even if all you ever do is make blankets like I do. Don't feel nervous <3 You'll do great, I'm sure.
My advice is to check out youtube instead of tiktok though, because I know on youtube they have great tutorials and you can slow down the video to watch easier.

thank you for this advice! you’re so sweet 🥺 i actually was out and about after posting on this thread and picked up a few hooks in different sizes and some yarn, so I’m gonna give it a go! i’m definitely gonna look up how to do different stitches on youtube and keep practicing before trying any bigger projects!

thank you for this advice! you’re so sweet 🥺 i actually was out and about after posting on this thread and picked up a few hooks in different sizes and some yarn, so I’m gonna give it a go! i’m definitely gonna look up how to do different stitches on youtube and keep practicing before trying any bigger projects!

I'm so excited for you! I hope when you create something, that you come back and show us! <3

I love to crochet! I enjoy making blankets the most because I don’t have to count my stitches so I can watch TV or something while I do it, and I can just keep going until I feel like it’s big enough lol. I’m currently making a blanket for my aunt!
THIS. It's so relaxing!!

I crochet! I can't do it for too long since my hands and shoulders will start to hurt, but I've made quite a collection of plushies, bags, scarves, etc.

I think the most difficult thing in crochet is counting. For the longest time, I had trouble making the first slip-knot, and then I would pull my yarn too tight and "lose" the slip-knot, which messed up my stitch count. I also had trouble knowing if my turn chain was its own stitch or if I had to do a crochet in that spot with the chain for it to count.

I think I have gotten the hang of it now, and crocheting is one of my favorite hobbies at the moment!

GOD I left for a couple of hours and come back to so many crochet friends!!

What's everyone's favorite brand of yarn? Me, personally, I really like Lion Brand or Caron yarn ^^ Both were very beginner friendly for me, I enjoyed working with them. I prefer Caron over Lion Brand because Caron feels softer to me? Or the specific type I used was a lot softer than Lion Brand's. I think it was Caron's Simply Soft. I made a little pink scarf with double crochet stitches, I believe.

you can do it!! i think the patterns are quite beginner friendly and you don't need to join any limbs or anything.

this is the video i watched for the cupcake bear

and this is the bee pattern i used for the bee

if you ever want to give them a try!!

I'm definitely going to try the cupcake bear one T^T This looks so cute and easy! I'd love to make some for my friends c:
I’m trying to learn but I still can’t quite get the hang of it even after five years.

Once you get the hang of it, for me, I feel like I never unlearned it. I took a huge 2-ish year break from it because I was frustrated about my lack of improvement. But I started again about 6-7 months ago and I don't regret starting again! Once I picked up the hook it became so easy for me to do it again. Maybe try looking at tutorials on Youtube. I did link some in the original post, for left-hand and right-hand ^^.

I crochet! I can't do it for too long since my hands and shoulders will start to hurt, but I've made quite a collection of plushies, bags, scarves, etc.

I think the most difficult thing in crochet is counting. For the longest time, I had trouble making the first slip-knot, and then I would pull my yarn too tight and "lose" the slip-knot, which messed up my stitch count. I also had trouble knowing if my turn chain was its own stitch or if I had to do a crochet in that spot with the chain for it to count.

I think I have gotten the hang of it now, and crocheting is one of my favorite hobbies at the moment!

It's really hard for me to count also. Or if I'm in the middle of doing a specific stitch, and I look away for a second, only to forget what I was doing T^T My memory is sooo terrible. I end up having to redo the stitch I was working on because I forgot how far into the stitch I was. Counting is difficult also, because something will distract me in the middle of it, and I'll lose count.. >w> Thanks ADHD.

I love to crochet! I enjoy making blankets the most because I don’t have to count my stitches so I can watch TV or something while I do it, and I can just keep going until I feel like it’s big enough lol. I’m currently making a blanket for my aunt!

Me too! Blankets are so fun. Even though this is my first one, I've been so focused on it and haven't really been counting. I can focus on something else if the stitch I'm doing isn't too complicated. It's the best part about crocheting! It definitely gets easier to focus on something different the more you crochet, personally.

I crochet!
I'm not super great at it. I can't figure out stuffed animals and I'm really bad at reading patterns, but I can make decent scarves and blankets/afghans. I'm actually almost done with a project I started in november that I had set aside because the holidays distracted me. I would love to see some of your projects! The scarf you made i'm SURE came out amazing. We always notice our mistakes but... mostly i notice no one else ever does lol
Nice bag btw! I just bought a bunch cause I was trying to find a size I like and.... now i ended up with a few lol
Also i'm soooo glad to see someone else using the clunky hooks. I feel so fumbly with the ones that don't have a grip lol

My great-grandma made an Afghan for my dad once. I want to attempt to recreate the one she made for him. Maybe with different colors, because I don't want to take away the sentimentality of the original one, y'know? This blanket I'm working on now, though, is for my guy. I made him a scarf a few months ago, I regret not taking any progress pictures. If I did, I might have to dig around in my camera roll for it.. But it looked really good when it was done.

Here's the blanket I've been working on.

IMG_5095.jpg

This is about 36 hours of on and off working on it ^^ I'm so proud of how it's coming out so far!

YES!! I have made a few amigurumis so far, a fox for me, a lion for my son, I’m working on a dinosaur, and I have a few other ones in the queue. I’d love to make a blanket one day! Great thread idea!!

One day in December 2018, while walking home from work, I decided on a whim to pop into the local Fabricland and buy a three pack of crochet hooks and a skein of yarn. I never looked back. ☺️

A few of my finished projects (that I’ve remembered to take photos of… need to be better about that):

A blanket I made for my grandma. I didn’t do any research on blanket sizes and just chained until it felt right, then single crocheted until I ran out of yarn. As a result, it turned out stupidly skinny and long, haha. But by some miracle, it fit her bed perfectly!
RRTRKlb.jpg

Cute, but so warm I don’t wear it much, to be honest. Also, I promise I am wearing shorts in the second picture.
3ASnkju.jpg

9gMoYze.jpg]

This. Took. Forever. So many ends to weave in. So many bits to sew. It was supposed to be a housewarming present for friends that bought their first condo & got their first cat in May 2020. I finished it in April 2022. Oops. At least the cat likes it!
oF03kq5.jpg

H6nSVdP.jpg

dvsjoTr.jpg

I second Mimi Cheems' recommendation of Bella Coco Crochet! Her YouTube tutorials are how I learned to crochet - I find the way she films really helpful in seeing & understanding exactly what movements to make with the hook, if that makes sense. Plus, all of her YouTube tutorials & patterns have left- & right-handed versions, which was extremely helpful to me as a leftie. I also found it really helpful to slow down the videos to 0.5 or even 0.25 speed!
It can be frustrating to start, but once you get the hang of it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

HuzfNd9.jpg

PS: I wanted to talk about my crochet bag.. Does anyone else have one? I bought one from Amazon to keep my yarn, thread markers, needles, and hooks in. It's roomy, and keeps everything in there nice and neat!

IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
IMG_5036.jpg
OK, this is adorable and I think I need one. My stuff is just all over the place. 😂

One day in December 2018, while walking home from work, I decided on a whim to pop into the local Fabricland and buy a three pack of crochet hooks and a skein of yarn. I never looked back. ☺️

A few of my finished projects (that I’ve remembered to take photos of… need to be better about that):

A blanket I made for my grandma. I didn’t do any research on blanket sizes and just chained until it felt right, then single crocheted until I ran out of yarn. As a result, it turned out stupidly skinny and long, haha. But by some miracle, it fit her bed perfectly!
RRTRKlb.jpg

Cute, but so warm I don’t wear it much, to be honest. Also, I promise I am wearing shorts in the second picture.
3ASnkju.jpg

9gMoYze.jpg]

This. Took. Forever. So many ends to weave in. So many bits to sew. It was supposed to be a housewarming present for friends that bought their first condo & got their first cat in May 2020. I finished it in April 2022. Oops. At least the cat likes it!
oF03kq5.jpg

H6nSVdP.jpg

dvsjoTr.jpg

I second Mimi Cheems recommendation of Bella Coco Crochet! Her YouTube tutorials are how I learned to crochet - I find the way she films really helpful in seeing & understanding exactly what movements to make with the hook, if that makes sense. Plus, all of her YouTube tutorials & patterns have left- & right-handed versions, which was extremely helpful to me as a leftie. I also found it really helpful to slow down the videos to 0.5 or even 0.25 speed!
It can be frustrating to start, but once you get the hang of it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

HuzfNd9.jpg

OK, this is adorable and I think I need one. My stuff is just all over the place. 😂

Oh my gosh your first project is amaze-beans. I LOVE that border.

Back