Does anybody miss the McDonald's characters?

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Red Balloon
Banana
Green Cotton Candy
Yule Log
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Bee Plush
Frost Easter Egg
Purple Candy
White Tulip
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
To older members on this site (I'm referring to adults, not users who were here for a while)...

Do you remember McDonaldland when you were little? I was talking about Ronald McDonald, the Grimmace, Birdie the Early Bird, and the Hamburgler. We used to see them and a few other characters at McDonald's. But now, we no longer hear of them. It's been 10 years since they have retired. But they were still good for their time and we hope to see them again.

If you want to know what happened to them, they have been retired. In 2003, the McDonald's corporation has been deciding on whether they should either keep the old McDonald's characters or toss them out in exchange for their "I'm Lovin' it" slogan. Since McDonaldland only appeals to kids and since adults are the only ones who can buy fast food, the characters like the Grimmace and the Hamburgler are gone from the advertisements. They no longer sell toys of them or cookies with their shapes. They stopped releasing cartoon videos of them after 2003. But they were still on McDonald's cups and playplaces until 2008, when they have been completely removed from there as well. Now, it looks like that McDonald's doesn't want to do anything about it. In fact, I don't even see Ronald McDonald anymore, and other fast foods are throwing out their mascots too.

This thread is created to talk about the McDonald's characters from the 1970's to the early 2000's. Did you like them? Hate them? Even if we don't see them anymore, they still remain in the memories of some people. I may be very young when I saw their videos, but I still old enough to remember them.

WOW NO I DO NOT EVER WANT TO EVEN THINK ABOUT THEM AGAIN I THOUGHT ID DONE A GOOD JOB OF BLOCKING IT OUT

oh god

im going to have nightmares

please keep that **** on lockdown omg

OlQDvQzwTkCBemz3DuUs_tumblr_m6ai312bEC1roz25lo1_500.gif

Idk how I feel about them.

Not this... I remeber my teachers at lunch used to post those cartoons/movies on the wall. My friend were creeped out greatly, due to that purple thing..

Hmmm my memories of them are mostly at this mall I used to go to as well as in Swedish McDonalds xD I can't say I really mind one way or the other:) But I did used to like the Hamburglar for some reason or another O_O

Thanks for actually sharing this video here. It's been 16 years since they released their very first video - Scared 'n' Silly. My favorite part is when they were in this dark room where they have to answer Franklin's questions as the room was surrounded by wind and storms. That video was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but only about mystery and not about morals. Seeing one person at a time going down as they tour the haunted house. Pretty cool.

I didn't even realize they were gone :eek: All I cared about McDonald's was some fries LOL. I didn't think they were creepy, in fact I actually hate clowns but I'm not scared of Ronald McDonald. I remember being creeped out by this though

I hate clowns too. Are they scary? No. Are they ugly? Yes. I still liked Ronald McDonald.

If you want to know, McDonald's isn't even that good anymore. The only things I get there are a drink, the sausage McMuffin with egg, the hash browns, and that's just about it. The burgers are stale, the fries are gross, and the ice creams lost quality. After one year of not eating McDonald's, I could care less about them.

I hate clowns too. Are they scary? No. Are they ugly? Yes. I still liked Ronald McDonald.

If you want to know, McDonald's isn't even that good anymore. The only things I get there are a drink, the sausage McMuffin with egg, the hash browns, and that's just about it. The burgers are stale, the fries are gross, and the ice creams lost quality. After one year of not eating McDonald's, I could care less about them.

The McDonald's in my country is still pretty good, at least. The menu you mentioned is my favorite breakfast menu :D I still like their fries best, and their chicken smells good. What I don't like is how the price either goes up or stays the same but the portion got lessened (what's meant to be regular is actually small) and after eating it a few times, you noticed how it taste rather stale. Their quality and service are starting to drop though. It's still popular for quick fast food craving here, but otherwise I'd choose local or Italian cuisine over McDonald's anytime. It's also infamously unhealthy, yet people still eat it lol.

I used to love the cookies that were shaped like those characters, lol. I do think they made the place all the more interesting for young kids though, now it's just.. blah. I nearly forgot about them. For some reason I really want chicken mcnuggets now..

I loved them!! I had soo many toys from happy meals with the McDs characters when I was younger, I was so sad when they stopped giving out toys of them lol I remember I had a hamburgler piggy bank?? thing and I think a hamburgler spinning top among other things.
my favourites were the hamburgler and that weird purple blob thing whose name I can't recall lol

I don't think I've ever liked McDonald's characters. Not even their current mascots (the animated Happy Meal characters?)

Iiiiiiiiii.... was not particularly fond of them, no. For one thing, me and clowns don't mix. At all. And the rest of them... I don't know. They weren't necessarily bad, but I never related to any of them as a kid. And I definitely don't relate to them now. In short, most of them were kind of 'neutral' to me. Aside from Ronald himself, I didn't really actively dislike them. I just wasn't a fan.

That said, I did see this amazing rendition of the Hamburglar that someone did as a Mii a year or two ago that popped up on my Wii Mii Plaza/Parade.

Ooh yes, I definitely remember them. :O Birdie was my favorite out of all of them. LOL they changed the appearance of the characters a little and they still appear here on birthday parties as special guest mascots. “ヽ(?▽`)ノ”

I miss the old mascots, if only just a little. They were a part of my childhood after all~ Happy, on the otherhand, scares the living bejeezus outta me @__@

349ezgy.jpg

Happy Halloween? Heh.

Yes, I relate with the Hamburglar.

You steal hamburgers?

I miss the old mascots, if only just a little. They were a part of my childhood after all~ Happy, on the otherhand, scares the living bejeezus outta me @__@

349ezgy.jpg

Happy Halloween? Heh.

I don't like this new character, do lids like him? He's not cute. I only saw a few McDonald's commercials with him and he's kind of creepy. What was the big violet guy's name? Bongo? Pongo? What was he supposed to be?

I could swear there were some kind of "mini Tangelas" characters among the classic McDonald's cast... but I can't remember them.

I remember disliking them as a kid - yet their faces were all over the restaurants! I'm glad they're gone.

Back