• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Decluttering support & cheering each other on:)

Munna

Bells
Pear (Fruit)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Winter Mittens
Hi guys! :)

TLDR: I discovered a decluttering method I really like called the KonMarie Method. It involves using how you feel about items emotionally, and what makes you happy. It's very different to the mechanical & logical approaches to clutter.
I was hoping for people who are trying to clean up their bedroom/house to support each other on this thread. There is a lot more to it than that, but most people won't read a long post, so that's the short of the long of it. :)

END TLDR :p

I wanted to make a thread here for other people who have read/ plan to read the read the Marie Kondo books about decluttering & cleaning.

*** This could even include decluttering in the game because I found my bad real-life habits extended to AC life!!! Has anyone else found that?

For example you save ridiculous amounts of items (especially unorderables/customs!) you don't need in case you need them for trading, someone else may need them, or might need them for the second or even third theme challenge you may decide to do....
A friend pointed it out to me, and I have since gotten rid of most things except the fossils. (I'm trying to make the mini dinosaurs! at least now I am laying them out & matching them up--had good results laying them on the beach & made 3 miniatures already) I was worried about keeping things for others, but in reality that meant months of keeping random things in draws "just in case" some person here wanted it.

That's nice & all...but meant I wasn't that happy when my inventory got completely filled up! ...yeah that is embarrassing...but I bet there are others like me!!?? (hopefully!) ***

I know there is a lot of material out there about decluttering & organizing. The internet is also swamped with tips & "lifecoaches"

but I'm not really interested in the typical conversation, as the steps in the KonMarie method are things I've thought about often, but never put into action (especially the idea that is quite well known, like the idea of only keeping what you need (like a fridge) or love. Anything else that is not needed but just O.K. needs to be thrown away/sold/donated. That idea has been said many times before, but I think she explains it best, and in a way that takes it from a "nice theory" in my head...into something I actually want to do.

However, I really like this method because it combines common sense/practice with intuition & methods that go against the normal way of looking at material possessions.

I have my own copy of the book shipping to me from ebay as we speak (read!)

One aspect that is different to many other organizing coaches is that many already teach organization, or chucking things out, few of them talk about holding each item & feeling whether it makes you happy or not from an energetic standpoint (not a logical one)

There are coaches that do mention things very similar to this, but she really does this in a unique & simple way that spoke to me.

I like this because my logical mind can always come up with "sensible" reasons to hold onto old & "unhappy feeling" (my own words not hers) items. (in the name of not wasting money or some other suffocating idea)
However this has lead me to hold onto to many things out of obligation or guilt about "wasting money" when in reality I don't like or use the thing & it makes my house messy & ugly.

It also drew attention to some old photographs that I dislike for many reasons...such as I look TERRIBLE in the shot, don't like some of the people & that time in my life...yet for some reason keep photos like that because some people I DO like are in the shot & it's just this obsessive "completionist" mentality many people who play AC have (yes...those wanting to complete every badge & item in the catalog!) has also led me to keeping things I don't even like...and when examined...there is no actual reason to store those things!

I am looking forward to talking with others interested in this, especially those who can relate to being a chronically cluttered (note: using pretty colours doesn't make the problem go away...but until it does I want to look fabulous! ) person.

I also have too much junk i don't need...but miss key pieces of furniture & other items I truly do need. That is the true waste of money.

I hope we can help & support each other to having the clean & organised home/bedroom & mind that we have always dreamed of!

Last edited:
Come on, I bet someone has clutter somewhere...even if it's just in the game & for some reason you can't seem to throw things away. :p

Thanks to the art of creating spoilers, I just de-cluttered my own post. :p

Since making this post I cleared out my mayor's drawers enough to fit everything without leaving things on the ground. I still don't have enough room, but it's a huge improvement! :)

I've also cleared up a small section of my house, a lot harder with how tiring cleaning is in real life-but still a good first step.

I don't think enough hoarders use TBT.

Don't worry, you don't have to be a hoarder to participate in item giveaways, organizing and streamlining your things! :)

You could just start here with extra items in the game you want to clear out, or things in real life you'd like to look nicer. Giveaways & sharing with others are a great way to clear out extra items & get train station hits.

Lots of people on AC sites do hoard though, using Museum rooms & extra towns to store stuff in. I've heard of people with entire towns littered with items!

Those people are usually kind hearted & help people finish off their Museum with fossils or other unorderables. I appreciate them & the work they do in the community. Especially the ones that giveaway all the items they store for people--they are the ones that help others complete their catalogs.

If this thread isn't for you though, like I said to the other guy don't worry about it, and have fun in another thread that you like. :)

Don't worry, you don't have to be a hoarder to participate in item giveaways, organizing and streamlining your things! :)

You could just start here with extra items in the game you want to clear out, or things in real life you'd like to look nicer. Giveaways & sharing with others are a great way to clear out extra items & get train station hits.

Lots of people on AC sites do hoard though, using Museum rooms & extra towns to store stuff in. I've heard of people with entire towns littered with items!

Those people are usually kind hearted & help people finish off their Museum with fossils or other unorderables. I appreciate them & the work they do in the community. Especially the ones that giveaway all the items they store for people--they are the ones that help others complete their catalogs.

If this thread isn't for you though, like I said to the other guy don't worry about it, and have fun in another thread that you like. :)
Maybe start by decluttering your replies.

your post is in the wrong section, this is for non AC related topics, sorry bro

Maybe start by decluttering your replies.

Why does this thread upset you?

It seems like it struck a nerve, because if you didn't care about this you would not make posts that have nothing to do with the original point, or reply in a defensive manner to someone being nice to you.

Why does this thread upset you?

It seems like it struck a nerve, because if you didn't care about this you would not make posts that have nothing to do with the original point, or reply in a defensive manner to someone being nice to you.
It's because I am a hoarder.

Last edited:
your post is in the wrong section, this is for non AC related topics, sorry bro

A good idea would be to check the original post for non-AC topics i.e. real-life decluttering. If my post fails to talk about non-AC related topics...you can always hit the report button on my thread & state that I'm breaking forum rules.

That way you don't have to deal with my foolhardy blatherings, and at the same time puts your reading comprehension to use & saves the others users from my offensive decluttering thread. ;)

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's because I am a hoarder.

Hey fair enough. I can understand that would hard, and didn't mean to strike a raw nerve.

I'd happily encourage you to get started, and as long as people are nice in this thread everything is water under the bridge. :)

I'm signing out, but hopefully when I come back this thread goes in a more positive/constructive direction.

Best wishes. :)

I am a total hoarder and I could've done with this thread a few months ago when I was moving house. I was so used to empty rooms that when I went back home (long story, things didn't worked out) I nearly had an anxiety attack with all the stuff that was in my room. I felt so much better when I got rid of everything.

i don't see what the issue is here. if you don't like the idea, then don't post.

Back