• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

"Creepy" Commercials

Yanrima~

History-loving Princess
Bells
Purple Hybrid Rose
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Since it's Halloween, it'll be fitting to bring up this topic at hand.
Have you ever watched a commercial that is unintentionally creepy or ominous in a way? I remember stumbling onto this commercial on YouTube, and whoever made the commercial basically made Humpty Dumpty more unverving in a way. Although I'm more of a 90's person and didn't grew up in the 80's. It's basically my first time seeing this especially when YouTube became a place for preserving old commercials like this.

(I've already shared that one NES "You cannot beat us" commercial in the other thread. It counts as a "creepy" commercial in a way.)

Feel free to share any more examples of unintentionally creepy ads from your childhood or ads that you basically remember being scary from way back.

I remember seeing this a long time ago, but I can't say it scared me..and I seen this thing at night.
But it did apparently scared other people.

i remember being really frightened by this federal psa that used to play! i think i was scared of the lady and how she eerily goes "why be you when you can be me?" i didn't understand the message behind it then but maybe it was meant for an older target group. the point they were trying to get across is great but i wonder if they could have directed the commercial in a different way 💀

This ad is creepy in my opinion. Not sure if it was intended to be cute, but it is far from being so.

This is one of the airheads commercials I remember seeing as a little kid, making me afraid to eat the candy. I falsely remembered the kid eating one and flying out the window onto the fence. But it’s even worse, his friend’s remains EXPLODE onto him.

this one immediately came to mind. i think it would be quicker for me to say what isn’t creepy about this commercial, because good lord 😭 the way the actor just stares directly at you the entire time without blinking, the illusion that he’s made out of ice cream and eating himself, the expression of manic amusement on his face while he does it, the dialogue???????

the company has a few other creepy commercials as well, but this is the one that i’m most familiar with and that unnerves me the most.

I've always found the Starburst berries and cream commercial to be creepy. Especially this face.
Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 16-09-31 Berries & Cream - The Funniest Version - YouTube.png

There was this brand from the 70s called Love’s Baby Soft that has this girl wearing a lot of makeup and holding a teddy bear and the tagline is horribly inappropriate. It basically equated innocence as being the sexiest thing ever. The girl sort of looks like that awful photo of Jon Bernet Ramsey of her in pageant wear the news loved showing after she was murdered. It’s just so uncomfortable to look at.

There’s also this doll commercial which has the ugliest looking doll ever

There was this brand from the 70s called Love’s Baby Soft that has this girl wearing a lot of makeup and holding a teddy bear and the tagline is horribly inappropriate. It basically equated innocence as being the sexiest thing ever. The girl sort of looks like that awful photo of Jon Bernet Ramsey of her in pageant wear the news loved showing after she was murdered. It’s just so uncomfortable to look at.

There’s also this doll commercial which has the ugliest looking doll ever

Baby Laugh-a-lot looks legitimately terrifying with a commercial that's pure horror material and yeah. 70's commercials are just built different (and extremely cursed).

PSA's in the 70's are terrifying especially the British public information films.
(Video below is not a British public information film, still terrifying because of the unmasking. Imagine a bear wearing human skin after reminding you not to burn trees *shudders*)

Last edited:
Back