Competitive Gaming

Zero_13

Retired Staff
Bells
To those interested in doing well in Brawl's Online, or anyone thinking of entering the "Competitive Gaming" world. I truly suggest reading the book "Play to Win". I've been reading it for some day's now, and it has truly changed my mind towards Competitive Gaming. It made me realize how noob'ish I've been acting for the past year in the competitive gaming area. You can either buy the book or read it online here: Play to Win.

Hope everyone reads it, its really a good read and you won't regret it.

I've read into it a bit, and it seems very interesting. I won't dedicate all my gaming time towards one game for a long period of time... I like trying out different games, and going back to old favorites every now and then.

:p Just not my style.

Just what the hell is that book?
Some sort of spiritual, gamer mumbo-jumbo?
Bah. I wouldn't buy that for beans.
Waste of time

dragonflamez said:
Waste of time
You don't have to buy it. You can read it on the page.

And from what I've read until now, it tells you how to recognize noobs and how to stop being one.

ZERO_13 said:
dragonflamez said:
Waste of time
You don't have to buy it. You can read it on the page.

And from what I've read until now, it tells you how to recognize noobs and how to stop being one.
I can recognize noobs without the help of some book.
You know what that book sounds like? On of those 'Improve your Spirituality is 50 Days' books. Basically, full of hogwash that no one in there right mind would believe

i think that book is responsible for som many discouraged players, who have the skills to win, but not the glitches, or dont use them because they really are unfair.
but ok, sum1 got mad at sum1 because they said glitches, so i will say taking advantage of the game just to win. now if you "play to win" you say that that is ok. you win and that is all that matters. however, "scrubs", who arent good because they don't do whatever to win, but usually know how to win and use the tricks/glitches, but they dont ONLY use the trick because it makes them win, they use it, (sparingly) to win the first match to shock an opponent or show off to friends. they ussually know how, but not winning by any means neccasary makes them "weak". I call them good sports. "play to win" says you can be a good sport while still doing underhanded things to win, as long as they are legal. however, playing against somone who respects the game and thier opponents, they can still be a "good sport" if they are polite ouside of the game.
however i think that you should be a good sport inside AND outside of the game!
i think that respecting the game and thier opponents is being a good sport.
and if you are not a good sport no one will want to play against you.

and then what do you have?

you dont have friends, like the "scrubs".
you dont have FUN, like the "scrubs"
you dont even have skill to be proud of like (some) "scrubs".
all you have is, you, the game, your wins, and an empty room.

And at that very moment, the "scrubs" are enjoying being noobish, unskilled "scrubs", having fun. together.

beakmanthegreat said:
i think that book is responsible for som many discouraged players, who have the skills to win, but not the glitches, or dont use them because they really are unfair.
but ok, sum1 got mad at sum1 because they said glitches, so i will say taking advantage of the game just to win. now if you "play to win" you say that that is ok. you win and that is all that matters. however, "scrubs", who arent good because they don't do whatever to win, but usually know how to win and use the tricks/glitches, but they dont ONLY use the trick because it makes them win, they use it, (sparingly) to win the first match to shock an opponent or show off to friends. they ussually know how, but not winning by any means neccasary makes them "weak". I call them good sports. "play to win" says you can be a good sport while still doing underhanded things to win, as long as they are legal. however, playing against somone who respects the game and thier opponents, they can still be a "good sport" if they are polite ouside of the game.

And at that very moment, the "scrubs" are enjoying being noobish, unskilled "scrubs", having fun. together.
No where in the book said you had to hate "scrubs".

joo r missing d point! d point is... juzt becuz we dont doo wutevur wee need 2 too win, it dont make uz week!joo dont hav 2 hayt uz juzt too offend uz!

beakmanthegreat said:
joo r missing d point! d point is... juzt becuz we dont doo wutevur wee need 2 too win, it dont make uz week!joo dont hav 2 hayt uz juzt too offend uz!
Well... you're saying your a scrub... lol.

If you consider yourself a scrub then you have a problem.

beakmanthegreat said:

Can someone paraphrase? I understood none of this

my ranting; (in a nutshell) basically, people who play using advanced tactics that are bugs can win all they want, but new gamers will not want to play that game because...
A. they cannot perform advanced tactics.
B. they have a "code of honor" mentioned in the book, meaning they are weak because they do not take advantage of games glitches, physics etc.

also yes, I am a scrub. i do not wavedash, although I probably could, and it would greatly improve my game, ( my main is bowser) however. who is more skilled...
one who can perform greatly difficult secret glitch feats that instantly double your gaming prowess?
or somone who can defeat these techniques without using them?
...think about that...

beakmanthegreat said:
my ranting; (in a nutshell) basically, people who play using advanced tactics that are bugs can win all they want, but new gamers will not want to play that game because...
B. they have a "code of honor" mentioned in the book, meaning they are weak because they do not take advantage of games glitches, physics etc.

also yes, I am a scrub. i do not wavedash, although I probably could, and it would greatly improve my game, ( my main is bowser) however. who is more skilled...
one who can perform greatly difficult secret glitch feats that instantly double your gaming prowess?
...think about that...
Meh.
I hope Wavedashing is removed.

beakmanthegreat said:

...think about that...
If you can defeat this techniques without using them, then go you!

I really don't know what to say other than if Smash didn't have all the crazy techniques it did, I wouldn't have played it at all.

Back