• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Chim Afvmmi Na Yukpa (Happy Birthday!): For all the August babies!

Katzenjammer

♫Cat that Jams♫
Bells
Hello! If you clicked on this odd title, you're probably wondering, what on earth? I'm part Choctaw, that is to say, Native American, and I love learning everything I can about my heritage and have been to one event that was local (which was amazing!). I am active in trying to keep up with the language, but it's very difficult and very few people are left that even speak it. I thought I would share the story that came in my card for my birthday, if anyone wanted to read it, and it has a good moral to the story. I think of Tortimer and Kapp'n when I read it lol...

"Why the Turtle Has Cracks on His Back"
(NOT written by me!)

Choctaws knew Turtle long ago, when the back of his shell was smooth. One evening, Turtle heard loud chattering among the winged forest animals. "what is going on?" he asked.

"We are getting ready to fly south for the winter," a bird answered.

"I want to go with you," said Turtle. "But, you can't fly," Bird crowed.

After much thought, Turtle came up with a plan to fly South with the birds. "On the day you leave, I will find a sturdy stick," he said. "I will bite in the middle of the stick. Two birds will carry the ends of the stick in their beaks. That way, I can go with you."

One the agreed upon day, Turtle got up very early. He found just the right size stick and went to where the birds gathered. Turtle clamped tightly onto the stick. Two birds held the ends between their beaks and began to rise into the air.

As they flew higher in the sky, crows approached from a distance. "That turtle is flying with the birds," said a crow. "Who thought of such a smart idea?"

Turtle wanted the crows to know that he was the smart one. He opened his mouth and said, "I DID!"

Turtle fell down, down, down. He landed hard and his shell cracked into many pieces. Turtle's shell still shows what happened to him the day he fell from the sky.
---------------------------------
I have a lot of these neat little fables and stories about animals and how they got to be the way they are, if anyone is ever interested I'd be happy to share them or any other information I know that I'm able to provide. If you actually took the time to read this, well, wow, thank you and I hope you liked it! :D

Here's to all the August born babies! May you enjoy health and happiness in the coming year! =^.^=

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! That's German for Happy Birthday! You probably knew that already. I liked the story, but I felt bad for Turtle.

Danke! :D (I only know a little but am always trying to learn more!) I did see your title so, yes, but I think that's great! I love the language and I find all cultures very interesting :) I'm glad you liked it! Aw, don't feel too bad, it was his pride that caused his fall. A good lesson, I think =^.^=

Danke! :D (I only know a little but am always trying to learn more!) I did see your title so, yes, but I think that's great! I love the language and I find all cultures very interesting :) I'm glad you liked it! Aw, don't feel too bad, it was his pride that caused his fall. A good lesson, I think =^.^=
I like stories that have morals like this one. The one I've constantly brought up was The Boy Who Cried Wolf. But when you're trying to teach a kid that story, they don't seem to fully understand it. 🤷‍♂️

I like stories that have morals like this one. The one I've constantly brought up was The Boy Who Cried Wolf. But when you're trying to teach a kid that story, they don't seem to fully understand it. 🤷‍♂️
I do too! Ah yes, that's a classic story. Indeed, everyone learns differently and at their own pace =^.^=

Happy Birthday! Thank you for sharing! I've always loved stories about how animals got certain features. They are so fun and usually have a good moral as well.

Back