• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Brooke's Music Reviews #3- Hide Away

Brooke_the_Phoenix

she/her, time-zone AEDT
Bells
Mailbox
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Music Review of Hide Away by Daya

This week's What the **** Were They Thinking lyric:

"Got my both eyes out for Mr. Right."
- Daya​

All those people who don't listen to the pop charts and have never heard this song, yes, that is an actual lyric, and a professional musician actually sings those words. Don't believe me? Here's the lyric video, which I believe is an accurate representation of how childish this song is:

[video=youtube;yucD1UwYQ1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yucD1UwYQ1g[/video]

I should probably apologise in advance, because this is not going to be my best review, I just feel the need to rant tonight. I promise that my next review will be for a song that I actually like, so stay tuned for that one if you like positivity. And remember, if you like this song then that's totally fine, music is subjective. This is just my opinion of it. If you dislike other people having opinions, this review is not for you.

So, there's a lot of people who annoy me: rude people, people who interrupt when others are talking, people who snap at others over really small things, people who don't know that indicators exist on cars, and people who call other people snobs just for being an introvert are some of these people. You know who else annoys me? Girls who complain that there aren't any good guys out there when they are surrounded by nice, caring, understanding guys who would treasure any girl they were with and treat her right, but those guys never even get ONE chance because they aren't super hot, they don't have muscles, they aren't popular or confident, and are maybe a little nerdy. And before you comment, I know that not all girls are like this, I'm a girl who isn't like this, and I know plenty of girls who aren't like this. I'm just saying, these girls exist, they are annoying as hell, and it seems like 'Hide Away' is the anthem for those girls.

Daya spends basically the ENTIRE song wondering why "good girls" like her can't find any "good boys". What's her definition of a "good boy", you may be asking?

"But I'd rather find a boy who is down for the chase
Putting in the time that it takes
To be fly as a mother
To supply all of my heart's demands
Suit and tie cause under cover
He's gonna save my life like superman"​

So, she wants a guy who is fine with chasing her, because GOD FORBID the girl actually lets the guy know that she likes him. I mean, why would you let the guy who likes you know that you like him too, when you can act like you think he's a douche and just expect him to keep chasing you when he thinks you hate him? If a guy doesn't keep going after you when you aren't really indicating that you like him, he obviously doesn't care enough! It's not like there are some guys who are shy, or have low self-esteem, or who don't want to come across as creepy, or ludicrously think that if you were interested in him there would have been some indication!

Seriously, I don't get the chase. If you two like each other, get together and do stuff together, and BOTH OF YOU plan dates, instead of just expecting the guy to keep running after you.

As well as this, she wants him to put in effort to look good, and do absolutely everything she wants you to do. So, if you just like to wear T-shirts with your favourite comic book characters on them and some shorts, because you're not a fashionista and all you care about is the fact that you have clothes on, screw you! Spend time and money wearing suits and clothes you don't want! Become her living Ken doll! And never say "no" to her, she's always right!

God, did Meghan Trainor write this?

I feel like a more accurate hook for this song would've gone: "Where do the good boys who are also really hot and rich enough to dress like Ryan Gosling and are willing to bow down to my every demand go to hide away, hide away?" I guess they'd have to find someone who can sing really fast to just speed-sing it, but we have technology that makes musicians sound like they're hitting the right notes when they're actually WAY off key, so surely the producer can just speed up the vocals.

I know I haven't talked much about the actual music, but that's because there's hardly anything to say about the music. If you look on the Wikipedia page for this song and go to the section on composition, literally all it has to say is: "Musically, "Hide Away" is composed in the key of D major, with a tempo of 92-96 beats per minute." That's it. There is nothing interesting about the instrumentation, the beat, anything! Whenever I hear that synth beat come in at the beginning, all I can see is some dude just repeatedly pressing one button on the synthesiser, then occasionally moving to another button, all the while looking bored out of his mind. And it's the same beat throughout nearly the entire song, it just adds drums during the pre-chorus and some obnoxious "hey"s, and then in the chorus the same beat is played with a different timbre. The only time we don't hear that synth beat is during the bridge, but the bridge is just entirely pointless!

Huh. I guess there was something to say about the music.

Musically, this song is just really boring, but often I think music being uninteresting is just as bad as being... well, bad. I like it when music tries, and the music for this song is the epitome of "not trying", which does annoy me quite a bit. The lyrics, however, are even more annoying, because they remind me that so many guys are being pushed aside because they're not a goddamn rich model, and then some of the girls who reject them simply because of this fact complain that there aren't any "good boys". Look, if you're not attracted to someone, you don't have to date them, but don't go around wondering where all the "good boys" are before giving any of the nice guys around you a decent chance.

Score: 3/10

this was a good review and you expressed your feelings, I agree the song is a little boring and stupid, but then again this is what 2016 is like, stupid songs that stupid people sing. Not saying this girl is stupid but do people have nothing other to sing about than boys chasing girls. Anyway nice review, I really liked it, you have a really valid point.

Acnl_starfall;bt12525 said:
this was a good review and you expressed your feelings, I agree the song is a little boring and stupid, but then again this is what 2016 is like, stupid songs that stupid people sing. Not saying this girl is stupid but do people have nothing other to sing about than boys chasing girls. Anyway nice review, I really liked it, you have a really valid point.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. :) Yeah, there are a lot of songs in 2016 that I have barely anything to say about because there's just nothing interesting about them.

Back