• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies [Please use spoiler tags]

Bravely second news!

new party member!
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/05/bravely-second-new-party-member-named-jean/

So I guess the party will be all new characters?
Or it would be cool if we could switch out party members.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, they do hit 9999 sometimes against nemesis in the village, but nowhere near it against the bosses, except certain special moves. I just find it odd that fira for example, consuming quite a lot of mp (60, but depending on skill settings) only does like 700/800 damage against a boss weak to fire damage, while a bombarm does like 2250/2500? standard. Feels like cheating fighting using mostly such items. Only meteor does significant damage and sometimes holy and dark (+ the earlier mentioned special moves).
I don`t have the salvemaker class yet. Now I wonder if I missed out on it?
Anyways, assuming this is what you mean, this is my built set:
Tiz: Knight (Holy Arts)
Ringabel: Dark Knight (Miscelanny) To be able to use examine mostly.
Edea: Black Mage (Time Magic)
Agnes: White Mage (Black Magic)
Both Tiz and Ringabel only attack using fire arms, other then that they supply the mages for ether and single potions/cures. I hope this is what you mean. Tiz Holy Arts I sometimes use, they can do decent damage. Time Magic is selected so I`m able to groupcast reraise.

I hope this is what you mean?

what spells are you using? Level 5 spells are more powerful. But towards the end of the game, magic becomes sorta useless (except white magic for healing). Physical builds will deal more damage. Instead of using a black mage as a subclass to your white mage, consider pairing it up with the spirtmaster class instead. Spirtmaster has a useful ability to bump up the amount of HP each white magic spell you cast. They also have other pretty good abilities.

I quite likes my monk set, with Natural talent, Hawkeye and precision (no equips to take advantage of natural talent). I can't remember the secondary class but Tiz (my monk) hit around the damage cap (or close enough to it) at around level 90 or so.

Bravely second news!

new party member!
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/05/bravely-second-new-party-member-named-jean/

- - - Post Merge - - -

what spells are you using? Level 5 spells are more powerful. But towards the end of the game, magic becomes sorta useless (except white magic for healing). Physical builds will deal more damage. Instead of using a black mage as a subclass to your white mage, consider pairing it up with the spirtmaster class instead. Spirtmaster has a useful ability to bump up the amount of HP each white magic spell you cast. They also have other pretty good abilities.

I quite likes my monk set, with Natural talent, Hawkeye and precision (no equips to take advantage of natural talent). I can't remember the secondary class but Tiz (my monk) hit around the damage cap (or close enough to it) at around level 90 or so.

I'm going to be really upset if Edea and Ringabel are NPC's :(

Bravely second news!

new party member!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, I`m noticing black magic isn`t as useful anymore. Timemagic has atleast meteor and reraise, so I`ll keep that in rotation. I let Edea and Agnes walk through all the magic classes to unlock the abilities, Ringabel and Tiz walked through all the physical classes (Tiz also walked through spellfencer), so I would have a balanced team. But I just played through dimension has and I started noticing the decline of magic power. Unfortunately, the physical classes still do little damage in comparison. I`ll try incorporating the monkclass with Tiz. Thanks for your tips. Its an absorbing game, but the combat gameplay takes some getting used to. Thanks again. :)

Ok, please keep in mind I just tried the demo version only, but...I seriously feel so dumb, I can't even understand how to play this game. lol...I guess if I put some effort into it, looked things up, or IDK, had some kind of manual...but you'd think they'd dumb down the demo to draw you into the game and make you want to buy it.

First of all, the demo starts out so chatty! Is the whole game this chatty? I hate having to read a bunch of text. Then you finally get to a battle scene and it's basically Tomodachi Quest. lol, I realize it's a demo, but what am I missing?

Everyone keeps saying it's a great game, but the demo sure doesn't, um DEMOnstrate that, IMHO. :/

Everyone keeps saying it's a great game, but the demo sure doesn't, um DEMOnstrate that, IMHO. :/

Oh, I understand very well how you feel. I had the exact same problem. :(

I tried the demo a while ago and this is what I said about it back then:
Well, I've been playing the demo (almost for two hours now) and I think that this game simply isn't for me. :(

The graphics are great, but most of the time I simply have no idea what to do.

I managed to complete a quest and I've been talking to all the NPC's, but this game seems like something I'm just not getting/understanding. I'm playing on the Easy Mode yet my party keeps getting wiped out. I've been trying with items but that isn't helping much either.

I found the shops in the city by accident and I'm struggling my way through the commands. I get that this is a demo, but I really wish there was something more of a tutorial (being completely new to this kind of game, I need a "please use short and simple words because I'm stupid, alright?" kind of tutorial :p).

There's so much in this game (like the jobs and what not) that seems so interesting and I really want to like it. But I feel like I need a manual to play (while other people are breezing through this game, so I know it's just me) and that takes away a lot of the fun. :(
----------
Played some more and I think I'm finally getting to understand it a little better. The game mechanics could be explained better, though, because most of the stuff I find out by accident. Still, yeah, it's obvious this isn't a game I can play without some kind of guide/walkthrough. Anyway, I'm stopping for today.

I'm going to search for a walkthrough later and then continue playing tomorrow. I really need to figure out how the jobs work and which ones would be best, since they would help me a lot (right now they're all White Mages because they have a Self-Healing ability and I chose that since my party kept getting poisoned and I ran out of items to cure them ). I also need to figure out a better strategy since right now I've been grinding by spamming the Brave option and hoping I don't die (it's working a bit, but I'm sure there are better ways).
----------
I actually haven't played this game anymore. I'm just not having much fun with it. I get that you need to grind to level up and what not (done that in Pok?mon, so that's nothing new to me), but to me the game is just too much "figure it out on your own". I'm sure it's just me; I'm guessing a beginner (never having played this kind of game, I'm kinda of a newbie, lol) needs something easier. Still, seems like the full version is a whole lot better than the demo. Which makes sense, of course, but based on the demo, I just don't see myself buying the full version. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, but I guess I'll end up deleting the demo (if I can figure out how to do that, haha!).
----------
I ended up deleting the demo; the game just isn't for me. But I'm glad I tried it, though. Maybe later in the future I'll try again, but for now it seems this genre simply isn't for me.
As much as I wanted to like this game, I just couldn't. I'm sure it's great and what not, but it's just not for me (and yes, I know there's a huge difference between the demo and the game, but the demo is indeed supposed to make you want to play the game, not make you feel completely, totally and utterly lost). On the other hand, from what I've read at some point it becomes incredibly repetitive so I don't think I'm missing anything by not playing it. :)

Oh, I understand very well how you feel. I had the exact same problem. :(

I tried the demo a while ago and this is what I said about it back then:
Well, I've been playing the demo (almost for two hours now) and I think that this game simply isn't for me. :(

The graphics are great, but most of the time I simply have no idea what to do.

I managed to complete a quest and I've been talking to all the NPC's, but this game seems like something I'm just not getting/understanding. I'm playing on the Easy Mode yet my party keeps getting wiped out. I've been trying with items but that isn't helping much either.

I found the shops in the city by accident and I'm struggling my way through the commands. I get that this is a demo, but I really wish there was something more of a tutorial (being completely new to this kind of game, I need a "please use short and simple words because I'm stupid, alright?" kind of tutorial :p).

There's so much in this game (like the jobs and what not) that seems so interesting and I really want to like it. But I feel like I need a manual to play (while other people are breezing through this game, so I know it's just me) and that takes away a lot of the fun. :(
----------
Played some more and I think I'm finally getting to understand it a little better. The game mechanics could be explained better, though, because most of the stuff I find out by accident. Still, yeah, it's obvious this isn't a game I can play without some kind of guide/walkthrough. Anyway, I'm stopping for today.

I'm going to search for a walkthrough later and then continue playing tomorrow. I really need to figure out how the jobs work and which ones would be best, since they would help me a lot (right now they're all White Mages because they have a Self-Healing ability and I chose that since my party kept getting poisoned and I ran out of items to cure them ). I also need to figure out a better strategy since right now I've been grinding by spamming the Brave option and hoping I don't die (it's working a bit, but I'm sure there are better ways).
----------
I actually haven't played this game anymore. I'm just not having much fun with it. I get that you need to grind to level up and what not (done that in Pok?mon, so that's nothing new to me), but to me the game is just too much "figure it out on your own". I'm sure it's just me; I'm guessing a beginner (never having played this kind of game, I'm kinda of a newbie, lol) needs something easier. Still, seems like the full version is a whole lot better than the demo. Which makes sense, of course, but based on the demo, I just don't see myself buying the full version. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, but I guess I'll end up deleting the demo (if I can figure out how to do that, haha!).
----------
I ended up deleting the demo; the game just isn't for me. But I'm glad I tried it, though. Maybe later in the future I'll try again, but for now it seems this genre simply isn't for me.
As much as I wanted to like this game, I just couldn't. I'm sure it's great and what not, but it's just not for me (and yes, I know there's a huge difference between the demo and the game, but the demo is indeed supposed to make you want to play the game, not make you feel completely, totally and utterly lost). On the other hand, from what I've read at some point it becomes incredibly repetitive so I don't think I'm missing anything by not playing it. :)

It looks like we had a similar experience, except you got so much further than I did! I gave up pretty fast, because nothing was being explained to me, and I didn't even get to see the great graphics they show in the trailer. It really does need some kind of tutorial, or a portion of the game that will hook you and make you want to experience more.

I've tried a few demos and I think it's how Nintendo does it, kind of weird. The demos don't like to explain anything to you. Like I tried the Mario and Luigi Dream Team demo, and on that one you're really on your own too. You have to just push all the available buttons and figure out what each does, and just keep guessing, whereas the actual game has a LOT of explanations and tutorials built in.

The difference is, with BD, you get kind of trapped in a scene, not knowing how to get out. Like the quest/battling scene, I couldn't figure out how to fight really, and I couldn't even figure out how to die so it would end and I could go out of it! lol

Anyway, if the demo is any indication of the game, I'm passing. But I do wish I knew why people say it's so good. At this point, I think I'd rather wait for Fantasy Life--which seems similar but simpler to navigate.

Speaking of demos; after I had tried the demo for Bravely Default, I downloaded the one for Fire Emblem: Awakening and tried that instead. I had never played a Fire Emblem game before (I wasn't even sure what kind of game it was exactly), but I immediately loved it and bought the full game. FEA's demo is an example of how it should be (not in general, but when dealing with games such as BD, I mean) and also that it can be done. If BD had been the same (or if it had at least done a better job of explaining things), I would have bought that game as well.

As for why it's so good; I'm not sure. I've seen quite some people say it gets very repetitive at some point and that they have a lot of trouble fighting certain bosses (bosses being hard is to be expected in any game, but the amount of grinding some of those require in this game is enough to make me go "no, thanks, I'll go play something else instead"). So I'm guessing the storyline and characters are what this game make great? Not sure, though. (Or maybe it's the Brave/Default you can play with, but to be honest, I was pretty "meh" about that. It wasn't something that convinced me in liking and playing this game.)

I'll actually be getting Fantasy Life as well! I'm not entirely sure if I'm really going to like it, though. There's this part of my mind that keeps going "Hmmm..." about the game, haha. But I'll find out soon enough what I think about it. :)

Hmm, I wonder if the Fire Emblem demo is still available, I'll try it out. I'm pretty picky about what games I like, but I also give a lot of different ones a chance. You never know what could be fun. For example look at ACNL, it's a great game and yet a lot of people dismiss it as a kids game. I don't like to limit myself like that.

I can handle a bit of grinding, but at the point when it stops being fun and feels like a chore, I lose interest. And I don't like leaving a game unfinished...so that would probably drive me crazy.

I also don't see the appeal of a lot of story. Especially since it looks like a lot of that is written dialogue. Which, well I'd rather go read a book then. :/ I don't understand why a video game needs a story. I guess something like Kingdom Hearts works with a story, but meh, I always skip through story scenes to get to actual gameplay.

Some games aren't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. Sorry (not sorry?) Bravely Default isn't your cup of tea.

This is just my personal point of view, and I get that BD:FF is fairly repetitive in the last one third of the game, but I find the gameplay rewarding once you get a hang of it. Nothing cooler than seeing a strategy work out after dying a whole bunch of times.
But I digress.

I also don't see the appeal of a lot of story. Especially since it looks like a lot of that is written dialogue. Which, well I'd rather go read a book then. :/ I don't understand why a video game needs a story. I guess something like Kingdom Hearts works with a story, but meh, I always skip through story scenes to get to actual gameplay.

Just sayin'... if you don't like stories, then I don't think you'll like fire emblem either. It's very story driven (and tactical). You'll be missing out on a lot if you don't sit and read through the dialogue.

Also on another note: bravely second news!
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/bravely-second-protagonist-three-musketeers-more-detailed
Looks like Agnes is taking the role of Airy at the bottom of the menu haha. Guess she won't be joining the party? :c
(hope of Ringabell + Edea returning have reached all time lows)

The new class (Tomohawk) seems interesting. Looks related to the Gunner class.

Some games aren't for everyone. Different strokes for different folks. Sorry (not sorry?) Bravely Default isn't your cup of tea.

This is just my personal point of view, and I get that BD:FF is fairly repetitive in the last one third of the game, but I find the gameplay rewarding once you get a hang of it. Nothing cooler than seeing a strategy work out after dying a whole bunch of times.
But I digress.

Just sayin'... if you don't like stories, then I don't think you'll like fire emblem either. It's very story driven (and tactical). You'll be missing out on a lot if you don't sit and read through the dialogue.

I can admit I probably didn't give it enough to truly judge the gameplay. It didn't appeal to me, but like you said some games aren't for everyone. I'm new to this genre though, so I'm not going to close the door on it. Just maybe not this specific game...

As for Fire Emblem, the trailer has some pretty amazing music in it, which is superior to the background music (in the demo at least) of BD was kind of annoying. Also the graphics look much more dramatic too, it actually looks like a fairly decent story...maybe if the demo sells me on it, I might try it out.

It's hard to judge a game by the trailer and demo...maybe I'm not being fair. But again, as far as marketing, those are 2 very important things that shouldn't be neglected by the game makers.

Don't forget Bravely Default was initially targeting the Japanese [RPG] market and later had certain aspects redesigned to appeal for a western market.

The demo presented the player(s) with core gameplay rather than hand-holding their way through the tutorial. Learning the job system and turn-based combat on your own was the best experience and I wouldn't have preferred it any other way. With that said, these two concepts are very important as you'll want to play around with your team tactics quite often in order to progress through the story without running into too much trouble. I'll admit that it took me a bit of time until I felt comfortable with the combat system in BD. Take a look at the earlier pages of this thread and maybe you'll pick up a few tips. (If you're new to RPGs, perhaps go with the traditional route of having 3 physical and 1 mage, then branch from there)

The demo throws you in a rather advanced area at a low level with barely any equipment; and it's just that. The point of the demo was to get the player to really learn the combat and job systems. There were so many things to explore and exploit, so why not take the advantage of that while playing the demo- where the main purpose was to swing through dungeons and battle enemies? Yes, some bosses require a bit of grinding, but it's not completely necessary. Furthermore, the game gives players the freedom to alter their battle settings in order to play in their own comfort. That being said, I agree with @windfall. Bravely Default is not a game for everyone, and the demo definitely does not appeal to everyone as it focused more on old-school JRPG fans.

If you're wondering, the full game introduces the player with plenty of step-by-step tutorials and eases them into the combat system.

In regard to Fire Emblem:
I second this. There can also be a lot of grinding required depending on how you manage your team.

[SUB](apologizing in advance if my post is incoherent?? I've been up for 20 hours. university student woes)[/SUB]

Last edited:
The demo throws you in a rather advanced area at a low level with barely any equipment; and it's just that. The point of the demo was to get the player to really learn the combat and job systems. There were so many things to explore and exploit, so why not take the advantage of that while playing the demo- where the main purpose was to swing through dungeons and battle enemies? Yes, some bosses require a bit of grinding, but it's not completely necessary. Furthermore, the game gives players the freedom to alter their battle settings in order to play in their own comfort. That being said, I agree with @windfall. Bravely Default is not a game for everyone, and the demo definitely does not appeal to everyone as it focused more on old-school JRPG fans.

If you're wondering, the full game introduces the player with plenty of step-by-step tutorials and eases them into the combat system.

I think I understand from what you're saying that the demo is different from the game, and it's geared towards people who are already familiar with the genre. I definitely need a lot of hand holding, so now I understand why the demo was so over my head.

I've always been intimidated by RPGs, seems like a lot to learn and figure out. But if I could skip the learning curve, I think I'd really get into it. Now I'm seeing that the story is a big part of it, so I need to get over my laziness...or just find a game with a story that is intriguing enough to keep my attention.

Maybe I need to start with an RPG game that's for children or something a little level 1-ish. XD

Maybe I need to start with an RPG game that's for children or something a little level 1-ish. XD

I really suggest you try the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening. :) It does an excellent job at explaining things even if it's only a demo. The game also offers the possibility between Casual and Classic, with Casual being that if your character "dies" during a battle, they're not really dead. You can play with them again during the next battle (whereas Classic means you have permadeath, meaning a character that "dies" can no longer be used in later battles).

I don't really agree with FE:A needing a lot of reading. Yes, it helps with the storyline that you actually read what's being said and such, but you always have the option to skip text and what not,. So if you're not interested, you don't have to read everything. It is indeed very story driven, but I don't know, I actually really liked that. :)

As for grinding, it depends on what difficulty level you play (Normal, Hard and Lunatic, and then you can also choose between Casual and Classic) and how many characters you train (it's not that difficult to make your avatar very powerful and there are some abilities that make the game far easier). Don't pay too much attention to what others are saying, though! The important thing is to have fun, so play the game however you like. Being a complete newbie I chose Normal-Casual, which was an excellent way of learning about everything and getting used to the game. :)

Anyway, if you're interested, make sure to check the thread here. :)

As for BD:FF, I understand that this game is not for everyone and that's okay. To some extent I also understand why the demo is the way it is, but - as you said - as for marketing, it's simply not a good idea. I tried the demo, felt completely lost and decided not to buy it. Whereas if the demo had been better, I'm sure I would have bought it. So I spent my money on another game instead.

I suppose the difference between both games' demos is that maybe BD:FF is more of a "this is for people who have experience with this and want things to be NOT easy", whereas FE:A is more of a "this can also be for complete newbies who have ZERO experience with this".

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe BD:FF would now be easier for me and make more sense because I have some experience with FE:A. Guess I'll have to test that some time. ;)

I really suggest you try the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening. :) It does an excellent job at explaining things even if it's only a demo. The game also offers the possibility between Casual and Classic, with Casual being that if your character "dies" during a battle, they're not really dead. You can play with them again during the next battle (whereas Classic means you have permadeath, meaning a character that "dies" can no longer be used in later battles).

I don't really agree with FE:A needing a lot of reading. Yes, it helps with the storyline that you actually read what's being said and such, but you always have the option to skip text and what not,. So if you're not interested, you don't have to read everything. It is indeed very story driven, but I don't know, I actually really liked that. :)

As for grinding, it depends on what difficulty level you play (Normal, Hard and Lunatic, and then you can also choose between Casual and Classic) and how many characters you train (it's not that difficult to make your avatar very powerful and there are some abilities that make the game far easier). Don't pay too much attention to what others are saying, though! The important thing is to have fun, so play the game however you like. Being a complete newbie I chose Normal-Casual, which was an excellent way of learning about everything and getting used to the game. :)

Anyway, if you're interested, make sure to check the thread here. :)

As for BD:FF, I understand that this game is not for everyone and that's okay. To some extent I also understand why the demo is the way it is, but - as you said - as for marketing, it's simply not a good idea. I tried the demo, felt completely lost and decided not to buy it. Whereas if the demo had been better, I'm sure I would have bought it. So I spent my money on another game instead.

I suppose the difference between both games' demos is that maybe BD:FF is more of a "this is for people who have experience with this and want things to be NOT easy", whereas FE:A is more of a "this can also be for complete newbies who have ZERO experience with this".

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe BD:FF would now be easier for me and make more sense because I have some experience with FE:A. Guess I'll have to test that some time. ;)

Haha, I like how that came full circle. But it's weird marketing to only appeal to one group of people (who are experienced player) and limit your sales. All I can think, from looking at WOW for example, is that the experienced RPG players aren't casual about it, and maybe wouldn't be interested if it looked too beginner level-y. I guess they're just focusing on appealing to the existing market, instead of expanding or bringing people into it.

Anyway, I downloaded the Fire Emblem demo, and I'll definitely go to the other thread if I like it. Thank you for all the info, and your thoughts on it. And good luck if you end up going back to BDFF too. :)

Update: I've actually tried the Fire Emblem demo now, and loved it. I have to say it's much better than Bravely Default. I feel bad saying that on this thread, but it's my honest (and humble) opinion. Well, it's a review of the demos though, and somewhat trailers.

I'm still somewhat torn. I know I'd like to try one of these games and really sink my teeth into it. But the problem is that based on the demo/trailer FE has better tutorials, soundtrack, and story. Something about the graphics in BD still appeals to me, when I watch the trailer it looks like a movie I'd actually watch...but then the demo doesn't support that, so I'm disappointed.

I learned a lot and got through the whole demo of FE. Which I have to say, as a beginner, I appreciated the help it gave me. I still don't know anything about classes, weapons, strategies, etc. So there's a lot to learn (which is actually pretty exciting). But FE got me started and interested, which is great.

I know this thread is old, and maybe I shouldn't keep bumping it, but I'd really like to hear why anyone chose BD over FE...they really seem very similar to me. Also, I'd like to hear it from a beginner's perspective...which game is better for someone who is new to the RPG genre?

Well by technicality both are two different types of RPGs. BD on one hand is like your traditional turn based jRPG (like Dragon Quest, early Final Fantasy, etc) and FE is more like a strategy RPG (like Advance Wars, Z.O.E.).

I started out with Bravely Default first as I adore traditional jRPGs. Content wise there isn't that much. Once you get past the main story, all there really is is to get all the job classes, max level said classes, maxing out your town, and fill up the compendium with entries. The story during the later part got very repetitive (can't really say much more with out spoilers), and I ended up just blowing past the later chapters just so I could get it done with.

Fire Emblem has much more content even in the end game. There are tons of DLC that you can purchase which help add to it's replay value. Also you can try working on different characters and classes to make your dream time. The grinding does get tiresome (same goes for Bravely Default), but Fire Emblem is a good game and the story is a bit more enjoyable.

From what you've stated, Fire Emblem would probably be more enjoyable for you as there is more to "sink your teeth in to". The store is there, and you technically can develop the characters if you wanted to. If you do have the opportunity pick up Bravely Default as well as it is a good traditional jRPG, and hopefully when Bravely Second comes it will adjust the issue in Bravely Default.

I'm just gonna say bravely default is an AMAZING game and my favorite game of all time. <3 It's so fun and the attack mechanism may be a little confusing but when you understand it, it's just incredible. It just runs so smooth and just works perfectly. It is a very important part of the game hence the title bravely default. I've also played Fire Emblem but I gotta say that it is very tactical and in my opinion, it is a bit harder. I kinda didn't like it because as a few people said it relys so much on story. :p The game itself is confusing and boring. Sorry Fire Emblem fans. It feels like a anime tv show.

OMG N O I DONT WANT AGNES AS A FAIRY INB4 AGNES TURNS OUT TO BE AN EVIL AIRY IN DISGUISE LIKE THE FIRST GAME
aaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i want more hot girls on the team plz

Back